***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    doesn't look like this topic is going away any time soon...

We now hear people in baseball casually refer to Amaro's right fielder, Jayson Werth, as the next $100 million player. And that's a price tag that a team already on the hook for nearly $232 million in salary beyond this season will have a tough time meeting.

Werth

But what executives on other teams keep pointing out is that baseball is now immersed in its biggest shortage of right-handed power outfield bats in decades. And that could make Werth even more valuable -- and more indispensible to his current employers.

Last season, remember, there were only four right-handed-hitting outfielders in the whole sport (besides Werth) who hit 30 home runs -- Ryan Braun, Jason Bay, Nelson Cruz and Michael Cuddyer. And none will be available any time soon.

There were only six others who even hit 25 homers -- Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence and Juan Rivera. And of that group, Dye can't find a job now, Lee and Rivera are defensively challenged, and the other three would be impossible to trade for. So if Werth hits the market, it's tough to see the Phillies winning an auction that would almost certainly include the Yankees, Red Sox and many other bidders.

"There were two guys like that [Bay and Matt Holliday] out there last winter, and they both signed for significant dollars," said one GM. "And I don't know that there was anyone else. The game goes in cycles sometimes. Sometimes you can't find shortstops. Sometimes you can't find catchers. And now the cycle is, you can't find right-handed power hitters. So to get one, you've got to pay through your teeth for it. That's just where we're at."

gonna have to ask you to start sourcing your articles...

Seriously. A works cited page, if you will...

jayson stark. I am not a big fan as he usually writes with a pro-phillie bias (he used to write for the Inquirer and has numerous connections within the organization, so if he rips the team, he doesn't get info). also, don't waste your money on his book...got it for xmas, weak. he's good for breaking phils-related stories, but his articles are mostly fluff
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    the darren daulton hour on 97.5 is a helluva way to kill the drive home from work.

that is one wacky dude and he knows his baseball. give it a go if you haven't heard it yet.
    I met and talked with ricky bo in the spectrum parking lot when pj was playn and the phillies were playn the yankees. me,
    is dutch a complete quack cause he sure as hell comes a cross as one. Ricky bo daultons crazy and i can't stand him. Word for word, cracked me up and he also called him a nut job.
    you should post the pic of you and ricky bo. You were like a kid in a candy store when you realized who it was.

RIBS!!!!!!!
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,519
    i realize it is a flyered up friday and all....however YOUR philadelphia phillies are sporting the powder blue 1980's era jerseys this weekend up in milwaukee (bark twice). gonna be cool to see.

your jeagler is all about retro.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,957
    i realize it is a flyered up friday and all....however YOUR philadelphia phillies are sporting the powder blue 1980's era jerseys this weekend up in milwaukee (bark twice). gonna be cool to see.

GO. PHILS.

Yeah, I believe it's during tomorrow's game yes? HUGE fan. I've been saying that they should incorporate their away uni's exactly how they are now, but with the powder blue instead of the gray.

GO. PHILS.

powder blue is for chicks. I hate those unis

GO. PHILS.

Yeah, I believe it's during tomorrow's game yes? HUGE fan. I've been saying that they should incorporate their away uni's exactly how they are now, but with the powder blue instead of the gray.

I would make two changes to the phils unis...

1 - put philadelphia on the chest of the away jerseys (instead of phillies)
    2 - get rid of the red pinstripes on the home jerseys
    The Fixer wrote:

GO. PHILS.

Meh. I think it would depend on how the "Philadelphia" looks like. With their style, I don't know if it would look that good. Maybe a "PHILA." style or something. Since blue is involved in their uni's, I'd like it to be used a little more - like I said, maybe an alt away uni.

And the pinstripes I like. Much more now though. I think it takes balls to wear pinstripes - of any color - especially red. With the historical losing of the organization, it takes away from the prestige of the stripes, and hence making the stripes ridiculous. But I think the past decade has restored some dignity to them. Now, their my favorite - the classic. Youtube Bill Burr heckling crowd in Philly. He goes OFF. You'd of thought he was from Philly with how much he knew to make fun of everyone. Candystripers is a good way to put it.

What they NEED to get rid of are the cartoon-like blue stars as dots for the I's in "Phillies". Either make them regular dots or make them red like they were way back in the 50's. The blue just makes it a little too cartooney.
    The Fixer wrote:

GO. PHILS.

Meh. I think it would depend on how the "Philadelphia" looks like. With their style, I don't know if it would look that good. Maybe a "PHILA." style or something. Since blue is involved in their uni's, I'd like it to be used a little more - like I said, maybe an alt away uni.

And the pinstripes I like. Much more now though. I think it takes balls to wear pinstripes - of any color - especially red. With the historical losing of the organization, it takes away from the prestige of the stripes, and hence making the stripes ridiculous. But I think the past decade has restored some dignity to them. Now, their my favorite - the classic. Youtube Bill Burr heckling crowd in Philly. He goes OFF. You'd of thought he was from Philly with how much he knew to make fun of everyone. Candystripers is a good way to put it.

What they NEED to get rid of are the cartoon-like blue stars as dots for the I's in "Phillies". Either make them regular dots or make them red like they were way back in the 50's. The blue just makes it a little too cartooney.[/quote]

I'd be all for getting rid of all blue. I like the 50's style home jerseys with no pinstripes. red hats with white p.

and phila would be fine on the road jerseys. think about the other classic teams in mlb -- yanks, red sox, white sox, tigers, athletics, cubs, even the mets...all have the city they represent on their road jerseys. the phils have the stupid phillies sign. terrible
    The Fixer wrote:

What they NEED to get rid of are the cartoon-like blue stars as dots for the I's in "Phillies". Either make them regular dots or make them red like they were way back in the 50's. The blue just makes it a little too cartooney.

"philadelphia" is too long a word to drape across the chest. that wouldn't work.

their unis right now are great. i like the continuity in that they haven't changed them since '92...and they're basically the same style we've had for the better part of a century. i respect the mike schmidt era jersey's too. but i would leave the powder blue soley for retro games like this one. i love the old schoolness of it. one year in little league i was on the philles. and our coach, instead of issuing us the standard issue t-shirts, went out and purchased us all replica powder blue road jerseys with that old school maroon "P" on the chest and the buttons down the middle. we were fucking badass 12 year olds. that team was unstoppable too. i batted around .600 that year too (my dad was score keeper and videographer. he did go a tad overboard on the video yearbook though. he had like 15 minute segments devoted to each player with stats and analysis dubbed over by our coach which was cool...but then at the end he had a half hour slow motion montage set to none other than.......kenny g. kenny g?? i still give him hell for that. it was cool though.)

i agree about the blue stars though. one other thing i hate is the stupid blue hat for the alternate home jerseys. not a fan of alternate jersey's to begin with. they would look a lot better if not for the blue hats. they look like clowns with those things on.
    www.myspace.com
    HA! This is the most I've been in the Flyers thread for......ever. I mean to put this here, but I put it there because I must've just clicked on "Philadelphia" - CORRECTION: Phils wear the powder blues tonight.
    they used to have philadelphia on their jerseys...they need to go back to that on their away jerseys. I'm just not a fan of the phillies logo.
    The Fixer wrote:
    they used to have philadelphia on their jerseys...they need to go back to that on their away jerseys. I'm just not a fan of the phillies logo.

They should make their logo like the Phillies Blunt box.
    The Fixer wrote:

this never happened.
    http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ph ... _logos.jsp
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

this never happened.

those are mostly home jerseys...I was talking about road jerseys. Like most of the other classic MLB teams have their city on their away jerseys. I couldn't find a pic so you might be right...I could have been thinking about the philadelphia athletics. I know someone had philadelphia on their chest at some point.

either way, the phils current home and away jerseys are weak. the phillies logo, the blue star, the pinstripes...awful. let's not even bring up the cream colored alternate jersey
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

this never happened.

those are mostly home jerseys...I was talking about road jerseys. Like most of the other classic MLB teams have their city on their away jerseys. I couldn't find a pic so you might be right...I could have been thinking about the philadelphia athletics. I know someone had philadelphia on their chest at some point.

either way, the phils current home and away jerseys are weak. the phillies logo, the blue star, the pinstripes...awful. let's not even bring up the cream colored alternate jersey

i am 99% sure the phils never had that on their chest. the sixers have had "phila" on there at one point.

their jerseys are cool. but i wish they would have went 100% old school with the font everything. but i'm with you guys on the stars. anything blue just doesnt work for the phils.
    www.myspace.com
    these phils jerseys would be the best jerseys ever if they were grey instead of powder blue. but if they are gonna score runs like they are scoring tonight, they should wear them every night. I don't care how gay the blue looks
    The Fixer wrote:
    these phils jerseys would be the best jerseys ever if they were grey instead of powder blue. but if they are gonna score runs like they are scoring tonight, they should wear them every night. I don't care how gay the blue looks

I'm sorry, but you're 100% wrong on this one. They gotta wear these more often.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    i like the blue powder jerseys :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:

My wife just told me she thinks the phils uniforms look pretty.

enough said
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

My wife just told me she thinks the phils uniforms look pretty.

enough said

Yeah. Your wife knows her shit.
    Okay, okay, here's my BIGGEST peeve with the throw-back uni's tonight. How can you use a retro/throw-back uni that was still in existence when your starting pitcher debuted in the league?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Okay, okay, here's my BIGGEST peeve with the throw-back uni's tonight. How can you use a retro/throw-back uni that was still in existence when your starting pitcher debuted in the league?

My thing was cant they fuckin wear the matching batting helmets ??

Looked stupid with the different color red
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

That too. Big woop, ya wear em once, then autograph em and auction them off for charity.
    i was hoping they'd go for the 80's era powder blues with the stitches in the "P." looks weird just all white...

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/thumbnai ... 7-49-6.jpg
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

That too. Big woop, ya wear em once, then autograph em and auction them off for charity.

Exactly

Didn't they wear these Jersey's earlier in the year too ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Exactly

Didn't they wear these Jersey's earlier in the year too ?

no. they were the 1965-ish jerseys for the astros retro game.
    www.myspace.com

not to mention those throwbacks will be available for sale on the team website. If they were grey I would have bought one in the first inning
    The Fixer wrote:

not to mention those throwbacks will be available for sale on the team website. If they were grey I would have bought one in the first inning

sorry.
    i don't think the phils will be turning back the clock to those vaunted '88 - 91 years anytime soon dude...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

sorry.
    i don't think the phils will be turning back the clock to those vaunted '88 - 91 years anytime soon dude...

you don't miss randy ready?

my point was that the only reason they do these throwback nights is so they can sell the jerseys
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    sorry.

you don't miss randy ready?

my point was that the only reason they do these throwback nights is so they can sell the jerseys

no. i miss don carmen.

and of course that's the reason they do turn back the clock nights. but if you're the phils, what's gonna sell better...the jerseys of the team that won the franchise's first world championship or the randy ready dark ages era jersey? no brainer................plus it wasn't up to the phils. brewers chose the era to throw back to tonight.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.