***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Solat13 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

never saw Ted Williams play so can't say for sure. who knows by the time Howard is done he just may be. Fastest ever to 200 home runs and at this rate will be well over 500 for his career. And I never said Ryan Howard was the greatest player of all time. I am just arguining against those who say he is not great and skills are diminishing. To discredit what Howard does is just wrong. I think Ryan Howard along with Chase Utley are both in the top 20 offensive players in the game today and at least in the short term (you can argue the long term ramifications but my theory on that is on the previous page or so as well) is well worth the $25 million he will be getting paid. that's is all I am trying to say. I am not the one trying to discredit Howard by spewing ridiculous theories on what stats are relevant or not. Like the Jaegler I don't need specific stats to tell me who the best players in the game are. Let's all just enjoy the greatest team/era in Philly sports with Howard, Utley etc. and not go down the path with these guys like Eagles fans/media do and run our superstars out the door for their perceived slights regardless of how damn good they are.

Also, they have a while to go to become the best team in Philly sports history - you could argue the Philly A's from 28-32 who average 99 wins and appeared in 3 straight WS and winning 2 during the height of the Ruth and Gehrig era or the Flyers from 72-80 with 2 Cup wins, 2 more losses in the finals, and 3 losses in the conference finals including a 35 game unbeaten streak in 1980.

solat....the philly a's? you going back to 1928 on us?! best team in the modern philly sports era then assuming they accomplish what we all think/hope they will accomplish in the next few years. they could even surplant that a's pre ww2 team when it's all said and done

Yeah, I went that far but they're considered one of the top 5 teams in the history of the sport and since baseball is based on history. ;)

Great article about them here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,526
    Solat13 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

Also, they have a while to go to become the best team in Philly sports history - you could argue the Philly A's from 28-32 who average 99 wins and appeared in 3 straight WS and winning 2 during the height of the Ruth and Gehrig era or the Flyers from 72-80 with 2 Cup wins, 2 more losses in the finals, and 3 losses in the conference finals including a 35 game unbeaten streak in 1980.

solat....the philly a's? you going back to 1928 on us?! best team in the modern philly sports era then assuming they accomplish what we all think/hope they will accomplish in the next few years. they could even surplant that a's pre ww2 team when it's all said and done

Yeah, I went that far but they're considered one of the top 5 teams in the history of the sport and since baseball is based on history. ;)

Great article about them here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
    my only qualm with them, in addition to it being 80 years ago, is that the team belongs to oakland now...
    www.myspace.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Is Ryan Howard really being compared to Ted Williams in this thread, and someone's making that case that when all is said and done, Howard may be better?

Really?

Dear lord.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Jimed...he did win more titles and hit 40+ homers 4 straight years so I mean isn't it obvious. ;)
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Edit: According to you, Ryan Howard is better than Ted Williams. Ted William only hit 40 HR's once and had 140 RBI's twice. Answer my question, is Ryan Howard better than Ted Williams?

never saw Ted Williams play so can't say for sure. who knows by the time Howard is done he just may be.

Fucking speechless.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    jimed14 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Edit: According to you, Ryan Howard is better than Ted Williams. Ted William only hit 40 HR's once and had 140 RBI's twice. Answer my question, is Ryan Howard better than Ted Williams?

never saw Ted Williams play so can't say for sure. who knows by the time Howard is done he just may be.

Fucking speechless.

Jimed, I used Williams as an example to show how fucking absurd using RBI's and HR's are to evaluate a player.
    cliffy, it ain't you.

jimed14 wrote:
    cliffy, it ain't you.

gotcha, didnt think so but didnt want you thinking I was trying to compare them by using his name at all.
    :roll:
    just when you think it's over, it starts back up again :roll: ....

how bout that good doctor though!? through 7, 8 hits, and 2 earned runs thus far.

howard, werth, raul and chooooch all with at least 2 hits....good to see raul get that average up.

GO PHILS :thumbup: :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

how bout that good doctor though!? through 7, 8 hits, and 2 earned runs thus far.

howard, werth, raul and chooooch all with at least 2 hits....good to see raul get that average up.

Seems like DOC doesn't have a problem pitching at the Bank like most other pitchers complain about the ball flying out on pop flies

J-Werth with a nice game

What do you think of him getting Holliday type money ? They talked about it during the game the other day
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Seems like DOC doesn't have a problem pitching at the Bank like most other pitchers complain about the ball flying out on pop flies

J-Werth with a nice game

What do you think of him getting Holliday type money ? They talked about it during the game the other day

i'm all for it if there is anyway to make that happen. 3-4-5 in our lineup is absolutely ridiculous. i would love to see it continue throughout the next half decade...
    www.myspace.com
    not sure if any of you read Deadspin and a few of you were talking about this earlier this week here so I figured i would post this....

http://deadspin.com/5531968/dear-philad ... k-yoselves
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    not sure if any of you read Deadspin and a few of you were talking about this earlier this week here so I figured i would post this....

sounds like what I've been saying. I swear I didn't write that article. The dig on NE Philly made me laugh out loud...awesome
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

this guy missed the point.

i love the newfound arrogance and obnoixiousness of phils fans these days. ever since '08 i've enjoyed that people on this board have grown tired of us :mrgreen: .

but the idiots running onto the field, puking on people, and not paying attention to the game are a completely different story. those people aren't real fans. their MORONS.

but when you win, you garner new fans. as long as they're not idiots, i say hop on board. let's go for a ride. maybe a title or two ;)

GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com
    Here Comes The Power
    Domonic Brown, OF, Philadelphia Phillies (Double-A Reading)
    Wednesday's stats: 2-for-4, 2B, HR (4), 2 R, RBI
    Unquestionably the top prospect in the Phillies' system, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Brown was long thought by scouts to be close to a power surge. It hadn't yet happened on a consistent basis; Brown spent the first month of the year doing his usual act. He hit for average, doubles, and ran well, but so far in May, the power has arrived. He's hit three home runs in his last five games and is up to a whopping .358/.416/.701 for Reading. The Phillies will likely find a way to play him every day in 2011.
    The thing I hear about Brown that makes him stand out is his plate patience.

I saw him work an 0-2 count to a 3-2 count and then eventually hit a 450 foot bomb in spring training off Justin Verlander. I was impressed.

jimed14 wrote:

I saw him work an 0-2 count to a 3-2 count and then eventually hit a 450 foot bomb in spring training off Justin Verlander. I was impressed.

yeah, pretty sure he had 2 homers in that spring game. everything I've read has said that his bat is just about big league ready...his defense is what the phils wanted him to focus on this year in the minors (especially his routes to the ball).

like the article says, his power will come as he fills out...that's why they got rid of michael taylor, his swing projects to more of a gap hitter, whereas brown could become a legit power threat.

it's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see amaro deal ibanez and re-sign werth this offseason
    The Fixer wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

yeah, pretty sure he had 2 homers in that spring game. everything I've read has said that his bat is just about big league ready...his defense is what the phils wanted him to focus on this year in the minors (especially his routes to the ball).

like the article says, his power will come as he fills out...that's why they got rid of michael taylor, his swing projects to more of a gap hitter, whereas brown could become a legit power threat.

it's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see amaro deal ibanez and re-sign werth this offseason

there ya go :thumbup: :thumbup: that ibanez 3 year deal is garbage.

gonna find ourselves in a tough spot if werth walks. what do you think they'll do? i can't imagine them just putting brown in right next year with rauul in left, and having virtually no right handed pop in the lineup.

i can't wait to see what this kid can do on the major league level. gonna try and see him at reading pretty soon...
    www.myspace.com

gonna find ourselves in a tough spot if werth walks. what do you think they'll do? i can't imagine them just putting brown in right next year with rauul in left, and having virtually no right handed pop in the lineup.

i can't wait to see what this kid can do on the major league level. gonna try and see him at reading pretty soon...

trade howard. oh wait, no other team wants that contract

I have no clue what they're gonna do. They will need a RH stick.

for the record I think francisco will probably platoon with brown in one OF spot next year.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,958
    I LOVE this...

340x.jpg

And the guy who wrote this is my new hero.... EDIT: Woops. I mean that Deadspin article. AJ Daulerio apparently.
    The Fixer wrote:

trade howard. ar.
    smart move! :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I think the only way Werth stays if we end up trading Victorino,they need to free up money somewhere.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Blowing Them Away
    Trevor May, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies
    Thursday's stats: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 10 K

A fourth-round pick in 2008 out of a Washington high school, May has some of the better stuff in the Phillies' system, but he's a long way from harnessing it. Inconsistent -- and, at times, sloppy -- mechanics lead to widely varying velocity, break and command. So far in the Florida State League, the 20-year-old has been putting it all together, sitting consistently in the low 90s while touching 94 mph, showcasing two much-improved secondary pitches in his curveball and change, all while striking out 39 in just 24 innings. He's walked 12 and hit a pair of batters, so the control is still shaky, but he has the potential for a major step forward.
    I think the only way Werth stays if we end up trading Victorino,they need to free up money somewhere.

they won't have anyone to play CF if they trade victorino. and he just signed an extension. he's not going anywhwere
    The Fixer wrote:

they won't have anyone to play CF if they trade victorino. and he just signed an extension. he's not going anywhwere

werth can play center field.

but i doubt this scenario would ever play out.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

but i doubt this scenario would ever play out.
    Exactly werth would move to cf,I doubt it would happen myself but that's about the only way he stays imo. Me personally I'd pay him and move on but they have a bottom line and it looks like theere gonna stick to it.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

no he can't
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no he can't
    oh yes he can.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6423
    www.myspace.com
    they won't have anyone to play CF if they trade victorino. and he just signed an extension. he's not going anywhwere[/quote]

[/quote]

no he can't[/quote]
    Lol let me guess some dumb new age stats told u that.what are they called jibberishmatics :)
    Go Birds!!!!
    Lol let me guess some dumb new age stats told u that.what are they called jibberishmatics :)

There are not many great defensive stats, UZR is very flawed. The red sox claim they have one but are also leading the league in errors this year (although errors only count balls you get to). Dont be ignorant to stats, you sound like a fool. At least Jeagler admits there are some good thigns about them. Like i said, there was a time OBP was an unheard of stat. OPS is talked about on many many broadcasts these days.
This discussion has been closed.