***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posted this over in the Yankees and Boston threads but it is relevant to the Phillies as well so I figured I would post it here as well since its really interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... ot-really/

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks are last in terms of percentage spent on payroll. Phillies are 3rd to Boston and Detroit. Kind of makes me think a little differently about the Lee trade. If they had kept him the percentage would go from 60.9% to almost 65% and just behind Detroit.

if its for just one season though....
    www.myspace.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:
    Are starting staff is looking sick.Calling Kyle Kendrick will the real Kyle Kendrick please keep hiding please keep hiding. Hes tryn to be a roy clone and im lovin it.

i gotta hunch double k's gonna have himself a year.

here's to jamie moyer retiring ASAP. beat it old man!

Temper your expectations boys ... anyone who strikes out as few people as Kendrick does cannot sustain long term success.

His 9 IP in spring training are (a) a tiny sample size and (b) a statistical anomoly. Opponents are hitting .137 for balls put in play ... that will at least double over the long term.

... as I was saying ....
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Temper your expectations boys ... anyone who strikes out as few people as Kendrick does cannot sustain long term success.

His 9 IP in spring training are (a) a tiny sample size and (b) a statistical anomoly. Opponents are hitting .137 for balls put in play ... that will at least double over the long term.

... as I was saying ....

funny you didn't say this 6 days ago...
    www.myspace.com
    Ryan Howard Close To Five-Year Extension
    By Tim Dierkes [April 26 at 1:08pm CST]
    A person close to Ryan Howard says the slugger is about to sign a five-year deal, tweets CSN's Jim Salisbury. Howard is currently signed through 2011, so an extension would run from 2012 through 2016. It appears that we won't see Howard join Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder, and Adrian Gonzalez in the 2012 free agent class.

Howard is in his age 30 season, so the contract would begin with his age 32 season. My initial reaction is that the length makes this an unnecessary risk, since Howard was already signed for two more years. We'll have to see the dollars though.

Back in '08 Howard set a first-time arbitration record with a $10MM salary. A year later he signed a three-year, $54MM extension to buy out his remaining arbitration years. The Phillies clearly like to lock up their guys.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,959
    All locked up - sweet.
    All locked up - sweet.

THIS IS A GREAT DAY GENTLEMEN! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

... as I was saying ....

funny you didn't say this 6 days ago...

Really, that one good start trumps 3 disasterous starts, and ERA near 8 and allowing nearly 2 baserunners per inning?

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    Holy fuck thats a lot of money for him.
    All locked up - sweet.

Really? You think its a good idea to lock up a slugging first baseman a year before he is to become a free agent for what is going to be the highest contract in the league in terms of AAV? Especially in this market with the contract taking him to 37. Don't get me wrong he is an outstanding player, but this contract is absurd.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    All locked up - sweet.

Really? You think its a good idea to lock up a slugging first baseman a year before he is to become a free agent for what is going to be the highest contract in the league in terms of AAV? Especially in this market with the contract taking him to 37. Don't get me wrong he is an outstanding player, but this contract is absurd.

don't forget ..he came up big in the series :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    That's a lot of dollars, and more importantly, a lot of years for someone who at age 30 is already showing a crack or two in the armor.

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    All locked up - sweet.

lot of money---yes. but i am just thrilled we were able to keep him here. he's a better all around player today than he was 3 years ago. his defense is much, much improved. he's lost a lot of weight and is in better all around shape and is right in the prime of his career. i love it.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Great deal,love that he should retire a philly.
    Go Birds!!!!

lot of money---yes. but i am just thrilled we were able to keep him here. he's a better all around player today than he was 3 years ago. his defense is much, much improved. he's lost a lot of weight and is in better all around shape and is right in the prime of his career. i love it.

I hear you, he is a great player, that is just too much for too long in my opinion. There is no need to extend him a year and a half early for that money or time, its just not good business.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you, he is a great player, that is just too much for too long in my opinion. There is no need to extend him a year and a half early for that money or time, its just not good business.

we're so used to losing our stars in this city though. i think its great that he might be able to spend his entire career in philly.
    www.myspace.com
    Too much for too long arwe u serious? 5yrs at 25 million is a great deal for a 30yr. The norm anymore is these insane 10yr contracts gettn him locked up until 2016 is perfect.if he hit the market he probably could have gotten a 5-7yr deal for 25-30 mill a season.great deal ruben.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

we're so used to losing our stars in this city though. i think its great that he might be able to spend his entire career in philly.

Fair enough then and absolutely understandable.

RAJ is going to have to get pretty creative with a $140-$150 mil budget in a couple years.
    edited April 2010
    Too much for too long arwe u serious? 5yrs at 25 million is a great deal for a 30yr. The norm anymore is these insane 10yr contracts gettn him locked up until 2016 is perfect.if he hit the market he probably could have gotten a 5-7yr deal for 25-30 mill a season.great deal ruben.

Try 7 years $164 million with his current contract and no, on one was going to pay Ryan Howard over $25 mil a year. That is a fact.

Edit: How can you say signing a player to the biggest deal in baseball (until Pujols gets paid) is a great deal? I get where Jeags is coming from, but not this.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    That's all well in good .... nice for him to retire a Phillie.

But, when he's 35 hitting .225 with 20 HRs and still has two years left on his huge contract ... things might feel different.

Again, the years are what I'd have reservations over.

Guys like this, Ortiz, Mo Vaughn, Frank Thomas ... it seems that when it goes, it goes fast.

I couldn't imagine if the Sox had David Ortiz on their payroll for two more years after this year.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Try 7 years $164 million with his current contract and no, on one was going to pay Ryan Howard over $25 mil a year. That is a fact.

Edit: How can you say signing a player to the biggest deal in baseball (until Pujols gets paid) is a great deal? I get where Jeags is coming from, but not this.
    23 million a year is even cheaper,and aroid signed a bigger deal before even though he optioned out and resigned.And boston would have thrown all sorts of money at Howard if he became a free agent. We locked up a top 5 player at a good price,wait until fielder and pujulos hit free agency.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

23 million a year is even cheaper,and aroid signed a bigger deal before even though he optioned out and resigned.And boston would have thrown all sorts of money at Howard if he became a free agent. We locked up a top 5 player at a good price,wait until fielder and pujulos hit free agency.

Depends how you look at it. First of all I hate the Arod deal. Second of all, Howard will be getting paid more than Arod over the same time period. $25 mil a year in the current market at age 35-37 is not a good price. Its just not. Third, there was no reason to lock him up to this deal a year and a half early, he would have signed it the second they put the contract in front of him.

Edit: This deal really bumps Amaro down on that list we discussed. Yes, it is great to have Ryan Howard around long term, but this is an awful awful deal and is goingto hurt the Phillies down the road.
    Five questions: Making sense of Howard's new deal
    There is plenty of info to come on the five-year, $125 million contract extension Ryan Howard agreed to earlier today. For all the nuts and bolts of the deal, see our previous post. In the meantime, we'll look at some FAQs concerning the deal.

This started as three questions, and will likely grow throughout the day.

1. What does this mean?

It means that the Phillies are planning on building around Howard, Roy Halladay and Chase Utley for the next four seasons. Those three players are the only ones on the roster signed through the 2013 season. Utley's contract expires after 2013. The Phillies have a club option on Halladay for 2014. Howard, obviously, is signed through 2016.

Here is the money the Phillies have allocated through the end of Howard's deal, according to Daily News records:

2012:$82.75 million to Halladay, Howard, Utley, Victorino, Blanton, Polanco, Ruiz (Lidge option; Hamels, Happ, Francisco arb eligible)
    2013: $55.0 million to Halladay, Howard, Utley (Polanco, Ruiz club options; Happ, Francisco arb eligible)
    2014: $45 million to Howard and Halladay (assuming option vests)
    2015: $25 million to Howard
    2016: $25 million to Howard

Jimmy Rollins is signed through 2011.

2. How does Howard's contract compare?

The market was set last year by the Yankees when they signed Mark Teixeira to an eight year, $180 million contract that runs from 2009-16. Like Teixeira's, Howard's contract runs through 2016. Like Teixeira, he will be 36 years old in the final guaranteed year of his deal. Howard's contract guarantees him $12.5 million more than Teixeira will earn over the last five years of his deal, from his 32nd birthday through his 36th.

One key difference is that Teixeira has a full no-trade clause. Howard has a limited no-trade clause (at this point, I'm not sure how limited), which for the Phillies could wind up being more valuable than $12.5 million.

On the other hand, Teixeira's deal was signed when he was on the open market. The Phillies weren't negotiating against anybody else with Howard's deal.

Teixeira deal
    2009 (29): $20.0
    2010 (30): $20.0
    2011 (31): $22.5
    2012 (32): $22.5
    2013 (33): $22.5
    2014 (34): $22.5
    2015 (35): $22.5
    2016 (36): $22.5

Howard deal
    2012 (32): $20.0
    2013 (33): $20.0
    2014 (34): $25.0
    2015 (35): $25.0
    2016 (36): $25.0
    2017 (37): $10.0 (guaranteed)/$23.0 (if option exercised)

3. How does the contract affect the Phillies ability to re-sign Jayson Werth?

Not as much as you might think. It might affect their willingness to give Werth a long-term deal at his market rate, but Howard's contract does not eliminate the possibility. The extension takes effect in 2012, when the Phillies now have $84.25 million guaranteed to Roy Halladay, Joe Blanton, Chase Utley, Placido Polanco, Shane Victorino and Carlos Ruiz, along with a $1.5 million buyout to Brad Lidge if they don't pick up his $12.5 million option. This number does not include Cole Hamels, who will be eligible for arbitration after making $9.5 million in 2011. Hamels is eligible for free agency after 2012. It also doesn't include salaries for J.A. Happ and Ben Francisco, both of whom will be arbitration eligible.

So the Phillies still have plenty of payroll flexibility in 2012. The Howard deal does not affect their flexibility for next season, when they have $130.85 million guaranteed to 15 players.

The doubt about the Phillies' ability to sign Werth centers around next year, since they have just $9.15 million of available cash before they hit this year's Opening Day roster total of about $140 million, and 10 active roster vacancies to fill.

4. What was that anguished scream echoing across the Mississippi River I just heard?

That would be John Mozeliak, general manager of the Cardinals. Perhaps part of the Phillies' strategy was to either get Albert Pujols traded out of the National League or bankrupt St. Louis in the years to come. Regardless of what you think of the extension, the Phillies set an early market for future free agents like Pujols and Prince Fielder a year-and-a-half before they had to.

5. So why now?

It's going to be a big question posed to Ruben Amaro Jr. later on this evening. I'm not surprised that they decided to sign Howard now, but I would've thought that any deal would come only as a result of some obvious concessions on Howard's part. I thought there might be a chance that the two sides re-worked these next two seasons as well, giving the Phillies a better opportunity to sign a guy like Jayson Werth. Perhaps cutting Howard's salary a tad next season and then adding it on in the form of deferred money or some back-loaded years.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,959
    ...didn't see them pulling that one out today. Granted, I was in class the whole time.

Anyway, God bless the Mets. Baseball's better when they're in 1st in April. I don't want my team winning 100 games - and by the way they've been tearing the cover off the ball lately :roll:, luckily, that won't happen. I want to be 1 game behind going into the end of August. I want a hot team going into the playoffs, not a dominant one.

So it's going to be May, let's have fun with it....GO RED.

Speaking of which, this weekend's gonna be siiiiiick. Flyers at 12:30, Phils at 3, Derby at 6, Mayweather fight along with Gogol Bordello at the Electric Factory! Then Sunday, drinking while cheering on these Broad Street Run runners at the finish line, followed by tailgating the rest of the day at FDR until Sunday night's game. Oh, word.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    phils win another series (4 of 5 for eagles fans that aren't counting)

all the new fans worried about madson are quiet

all the new fans worried about hamels are quiet

all the new fans worried about kendrick/moyer are quiet (no one mentions werth's shitty baserunning, but they all want to give him jason bay money. idiots)

all is good...can't wait to hear next week's complaint

haha...last week you said kendrick sucked and moyer was "aids." one start changes your perception of them? c'mon man

national sales meeting over...I'm back.

for the record the previous post was made during draft night...tequila shots involved. everything off the record (especially the stuff that doesn't make sense, which I'm sure there is lots of)

moyer is the epitome of AIDS.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posted this over in the Yankees and Boston threads but it is relevant to the Phillies as well so I figured I would post it here as well since its really interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... ot-really/

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks are last in terms of percentage spent on payroll. Phillies are 3rd to Boston and Detroit. Kind of makes me think a little differently about the Lee trade. If they had kept him the percentage would go from 60.9% to almost 65% and just behind Detroit.

2 of those teams have a TV station that generates revenue.

come on dude...yanks and last in payroll should never be used in same sentence again. you know this...just stop
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    All locked up - sweet.

I agree 100%. I absoultey hate this contract. type of deal that sends teams into rebuilding mode. Hate it, hate it, hate it
    I hear you, he is a great player, that is just too much for too long in my opinion. There is no need to extend him a year and a half early for that money or time, its just not good business.[/quote]

we're so used to losing our stars in this city though. i think its great that he might be able to spend his entire career in philly.[/quote]

Fair enough then and absolutely understandable.

RAJ is going to have to get pretty creative with a $140-$150 mil budget in a couple years.[/quote]

they're banking a lot on dom brown, jarred cosart, trevor may, and brody colvin.

they gave howard this deal 2 years before they had to. I like howard, but hate this contract
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I could care less about stars playing here. I want the phils to win. this deal restricts them from winning once it kicks in.

majored in econ...you don't make deals that result in diminishing returns, which this contract surely will. dumb, dumb, dumb.

everyone loves amaro because he's winning with what gillick built. his deals are questionable at best.

halladay deal = great
    ibanez deal = bad
    polanco deal = TBD (most think he overpaid in years and money)
    blanton = same as polanco
    Lidge = bad
    howard = epitome of an overpay. albatross best describes it
    victorino = TBD

don't mean to sound like debbie downer, but he has wasted a lot of money that could have been invested more responsibly (cliff lee and/or jayson werth).

I'm not the biggest werth fan (I think he makes a lot of mental errors on bases and in field)...but I'd rather see werth get overpaid than howard. 1B and closer are the 2 positions I'd never overpay for.
    edited April 2010
    my howard contract analysis...

he's now 2nd highest paid player in baseball (per year).

he's 3rd best player on his team

in a nutshell...too many years, deal offered two years too early, too much money

not a good move
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Edit: How can you say signing a player to the biggest deal in baseball (until Pujols gets paid) is a great deal? I get where Jeags is coming from, but not this.[/quote]
    23 million a year is even cheaper,and aroid signed a bigger deal before even though he optioned out and resigned.And boston would have thrown all sorts of money at Howard if he became a free agent. We locked up a top 5 player at a good price,wait until fielder and pujulos hit free agency.[/quote]

Depends how you look at it. First of all I hate the Arod deal. Second of all, Howard will be getting paid more than Arod over the same time period. $25 mil a year in the current market at age 35-37 is not a good price. Its just not. Third, there was no reason to lock him up to this deal a year and a half early, he would have signed it the second they put the contract in front of him.

Edit: This deal really bumps Amaro down on that list we discussed. Yes, it is great to have Ryan Howard around long term, but this is an awful awful deal and is goingto hurt the Phillies down the road.[/quote]

off topic, but Cliffy that SI cover this week is the gayest thing I've ever seen. It's even worse than the smily faces Jeags uses in his posts.

My theory -- I think they are all looking at A-Rod naked. Everyone is looking and having fun except Jeter. I can hear him mumbling 'fuck that dude for making me pose for this' under his breath. Jeter is awesome. A-Rod is such a turd. I could never root for him...he is such a squid.

Regardless, it's the gayest SI cover I've ever seen. If I saw Utley posing like posada, rivera, or pettite I would hate him and myself and probably the phillies. And it's impossible for me to hate utley...or even be upset at him. he's my favorite philly athlete of all time (dawk and lindros get honorable mention, but it's not really close)
This discussion has been closed.