***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    edited May 2010
    in case anyone wants to see the video here it is. I think he deserved it for being an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqtPUhYdz6M

taser_jpg_624061gm-a.jpg
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    That is honestly, quite possibly the greatest picture ever taken.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Assumption of Risk.

You do something moronic, you should expect bad consequences.

Phillies fans have experience in this, I love this lugnut ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9x0cLCLD0
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Jimed isn't there an assumption of risk on both ends? I mean yeah the kid should assume he could get nailed by security or a left cross from Ryan Howard (god knows he can't hit anything else left handed), but that he could die from running on the field is something that doesn't have much precedent. On the flip side, there is plenty of precedent resulting from the negative effects of tazing someone. Thus isn't the cop who was too fat to catch a 17 year old running on the field taking on some assumption of risk too? What if the kid goes into cardiac arrest right there on the field and dies? Again I'm not defending the kid, he should have some form of strict punishment, but putting his life in peril doesn't fit the crime in my opinion...that goes for someone who is under or over 18 years of age.
    If someone could point me to the credible research about tazing deaths or negative effects, I'd love to read it.

But I just keep hearing words.

This kid got zapped and was walking again in under 30 seconds. If anything, this makes me think tazing is a good option.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    i know it happened this past year in bmore for 100% sure it was all over the news. I'll do some research for more stuff. Yes in most cases people pass out and get up, but dude philly police killing someone with all of their problems...it would not be good.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    the cop was following phila police protocall. the commisioner was on the radio talking about it today. if you run away from the police, thus resisting arrest, you very well could get tased. end of story. let's move on.
    www.myspace.com
    edited May 2010
    RW81233 wrote:
    I. Given the Philly police's past,.

just out of curiousity, what past are you referrring to?

and don't say MOVE because that was 25 years ago.

the recent past of the philly police department consists of them being gunned down at an alarming rate over the past few years. though that has improved a lot since '08.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    RW81233 wrote:

RW, you're going to have to do a little better than that ... many of these are from 2007, some of those articles had zero sourcing (the list of deaths certainly didn't) ... one talked about tazing for more than three minutes (which certainly sounds excessive, more user error than a tazing issue, if you beat someone with a club for three minutes, they'd die as well) ... and the Canada video, well, I found it intersting that one gentleman said "he wasn't a threat" when the guy is throwing chairs and laptops around. I'd be interested in a follow up/autopsy report.

Probably turning into more of an AMT discussion at this point.

Jimed, you're prolly right about AMT. As for the tazing stuff I grabbed it in like 5 minutes...so yeah I should prolly go to EBSCO or Google Scholar and find academic or medical journal articles on the effects of tazing. You are right if someone goes down for 30 seconds and gets up then it's probably useful, the B'more death really just stuck in my head as a silly reason for doing so. Jeagler, these are the types of things that pop up about the Philly police from time to time http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushould ... d-beating/ (no different from cops in other cities really, but they do still have Mumia incarcerated from the MOVE stuff).
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    DAMN! I missed a Chooch walk off homer cuz of Lost.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    RW81233 wrote:
    Jimed, you're prolly right about AMT. As for the tazing stuff I grabbed it in like 5 minutes...so yeah I should prolly go to EBSCO or Google Scholar and find academic or medical journal articles on the effects of tazing. You are right if someone goes down for 30 seconds and gets up then it's probably useful, the B'more death really just stuck in my head as a silly reason for doing so. Jeagler, these are the types of things that pop up about the Philly police from time to time http://blogs.bet.com/news/newsyoushould ... d-beating/ (no different from cops in other cities really, but they do still have Mumia incarcerated from the MOVE stuff).

what you said in parenthesis is correct. that was one instance. and MOVE occured a generation ago so it is not even close to relevant in 2010. your point about there being some kind of stigma about philly police is unfounded. it's no different here than anywhere else. if you run from the cops, you might get tasered. the cop operated under propper protocal.

police tasered a guy at an oakland a's game recently. are you going to do a google search about police behaving badly in the bay area now? :roll:
    www.myspace.com

i love chooch.

hamels looked great tonight until some other fucking buffoon ran onto the field in the 9th.

these kids and the idiots who cheer them on should do us all a favor and stay the hell home.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Some asshole ran onto the field again tonight
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That is honestly, quite possibly the greatest picture ever taken.

New Avatar worthy ?

edited May 2010
    jimed14 wrote:
    If someone could point me to the credible research about tazing deaths or negative effects, I'd love to read it.

But I just keep hearing words.

This kid got zapped and was walking again in under 30 seconds. If anything, this makes me think tazing is a good option.

Exactly

You don't want to get tazzed stop running when 5 people are chasing you including a cop

I have no sympathy for anyone doing something illegal and stupid

What if ? what if the kid pulled a knife ? what if the kid puked on Polly at 3rd base ?
    Post edited by Phantom Pain on

edited May 2010
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think it was idiocy on both ends. Going onto the field isn't real smart considering you go to jail for doing it. However, where in that chase do you get the idea that he was going to do something wrong? He was waving those lame as white philly flags. Given the Philly police's past, and the danger of tazing someone (many have died and had psych problems from being tazed) who was visibly weaponless and not making any dangerous movements, this wasn't the best idea...jail the F out of him, or make him do community service, but there was no reason in this instance to zap the kid.

Is this excessive force ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mt1CrWqv5E

3 cops surrounding a guy who's sitting but not one of you guys brings this up in the forum...hmmmmmmmmm

What if the guy fell and hit his head on the concrete ? what if the guy face planted into his beer and drowned ?

Come on dude...you resist arrest you're fair game for them to take you down
    Post edited by Phantom Pain on

Case in point.."pocket knife fell from their pocket"

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -diamond/1

Former Royals coach beaten by fans hopes Taser curbs violence on baseball diamond
    08:21 PM

It's too late to save Tom Gamboa's hearing in his right ear.

It won't stop the horrifying incident that still causes nightmares when he was attacked on the field in 2002 at U.S. Cellular when he was first base coach of the Kansas City Royals.

But maybe, just maybe, this is a wake-up call for every fan who's foolish enough to run on the field.

"I just wish, like everybody else, that the only place for fans is in the stands,'' Gamboa told USA TODAY in a telephone interview while playing golf in San Luis Obispo, Calif. "I'm glad I didn't se it. It would have brought back bad memories.''

Yet, when Gamboa, 62, was apprised that a taser gun was used, he is hopeful that this will deter others.

"I would think so,'' Gamboa says. "My God, if shock treatment is allowed in. ... I have to believe if a kid knew he was going to get Tasered, he wouldn't have gone on the field."

Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred. They hate the idea that fans run onto the field with little consequence. My God, when Gamboa was attacked by a father-son tag team, they never served a day in jail.

He was slammed to the ground by a bare-chested father, his son pummeled him, and a pocket knife fell from their pocket.

"I felt like a football team had hit me from behind,'' Gamboa says. "Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself., It just happened so fast."

The father, identified by police as 34-year-old William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son were led off the field in handcuffs. They were charged with aggravated battery. And the duo got abusolutley nothing but probation.

"It sent a poor message to the public,'' Gamboa says. "My fear is should this happen again to another player, coach or manager in any sport. There's been a precedent set that I think is a bad one.''

Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred with Gamboa. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Taser gun if it delivers the intended message.

"I like the whole Taser thing,'' Milwaukee Brewers reliever LaTroy Hawkins told USA TODAY. "It keeps them off the field. It certainly gives them something to think about."

Says Texas Rangers All-Star third baseman Michael Young: "Fans have the right to buy a ticket, cheer, boo, eat a hot dog, etc. But ever since the Kansas City-White Sox game, they need to realize it's not cool to come on the field. They are not welcome down there."

Then again, says Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Augie Ojeda: "Hopefully it will stop them. But they might want to sue the cops."

By Bob Nightengale

Former Royals coach beaten by fans hopes Taser curbs violence on baseball diamond

It won't stop the horrifying incident that still causes nightmares when he was attacked on the field in 2002 at U.S. Cellular when he was first base coach of the Kansas City Royals.

But maybe, just maybe, this is a wake-up call for every fan who's foolish enough to run on the field.

"I just wish, like everybody else, that the only place for fans is in the stands,'' Gamboa told USA TODAY in a telephone interview while playing golf in San Luis Obispo, Calif. "I'm glad I didn't se it. It would have brought back bad memories.''

Yet, when Gamboa, 62, was apprised that a taser gun was used, he is hopeful that this will deter others.

"I would think so,'' Gamboa says. "My God, if shock treatment is allowed in. ... I have to believe if a kid knew he was going to get Tasered, he wouldn't have gone on the field."

Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred. They hate the idea that fans run onto the field with little consequence. My God, when Gamboa was attacked by a father-son tag team, they never served a day in jail.

He was slammed to the ground by a bare-chested father, his son pummeled him, and a pocket knife fell from their pocket.

"I felt like a football team had hit me from behind,'' Gamboa says. "Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself., It just happened so fast."

The father, identified by police as 34-year-old William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son were led off the field in handcuffs. They were charged with aggravated battery. And the duo got abusolutley nothing but probation.

"It sent a poor message to the public,'' Gamboa says. "My fear is should this happen again to another player, coach or manager in any sport. There's been a precedent set that I think is a bad one.''

Major League players interviewed by USA TODAY concurred with Gamboa. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Taser gun if it delivers the intended message.

"I like the whole Taser thing,'' Milwaukee Brewers reliever LaTroy Hawkins told USA TODAY. "It keeps them off the field. It certainly gives them something to think about."

Says Texas Rangers All-Star third baseman Michael Young: "Fans have the right to buy a ticket, cheer, boo, eat a hot dog, etc. But ever since the Kansas City-White Sox game, they need to realize it's not cool to come on the field. They are not welcome down there."

Then again, says Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Augie Ojeda: "Hopefully it will stop them. But they might want to sue the cops."

By Bob Nightengale
    so you really can't see the difference between a dude getting attacked by fans physically (in which case taser away) vs. a drunk and a little kid running around resisting arrest? if not then i got nothing for you. for what it's worth my brother-in-law is bronx police and when i spoke to him on the phone this evening he even said last night's tazing was stupid...this is a guy who's found 12 year-olds with sawed off shotguns in their backpacks on his beat amongst other ridiculous things.

additionally, and perhaps this evening is evidence of it, given the fact that suing over the use of electric tasers is a reality coupled with the media attention given to it this could actually encourage fans to run across the field rather than serve as a deterrent.
    RW81233 wrote:

By Bob Nightengale
    so you really can't see the difference between a dude getting attacked by fans physically (in which case taser away) vs. a drunk and a little kid running around resisting arrest? if not then i got nothing for you. for what it's worth my brother-in-law is bronx police and when i spoke to him on the phone this evening he even said last night's tazing was stupid...this is a guy who's found 12 year-olds with sawed off shotguns in their backpacks on his beat amongst other ridiculous things.

additionally, and perhaps this evening is evidence of it, given the fact that suing over the use of electric tasers is a reality coupled with the media attention given to it this could actually encourage fans to run across the field rather than serve as a deterrent.

The point is you dont know if the kid has anything on him..whats so hard to figure out ?

Cops react in the moment its easy to sit back and Monday Morning QB a situation

What ya think of the A's video ?

RW81233 wrote:
    I think it was idiocy on both ends. Going onto the field isn't real smart considering you go to jail for doing it. However, where in that chase do you get the idea that he was going to do something wrong? He was waving those lame as white philly flags. Given the Philly police's past, and the danger of tazing someone (many have died and had psych problems from being tazed) who was visibly weaponless and not making any dangerous movements, this wasn't the best idea...jail the F out of him, or make him do community service, but there was no reason in this instance to zap the kid.

3 cops surrounding a guy who's sitting but not one of you guys brings this up in the forum...hmmmmmmmmm

What if the guy fell and hit his head on the concrete ? what if the guy face planted into his beer and drowned ?

i'm not saying they don't deserve jail or punishment, i'm just saying doing something that could kill somebody isn't really going to help anything. you really think that in the contemporary socio-political moment if that drunk dude or the kid broke a bone, tore an ACL, or died from the tazing the taxpayers aren't footing the bill for the lawsuit? if the kid or drunk reached for their pocket or had something in plain view I agree, but their hands were in plain site...this makes little sense.
    RW81233 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

i'm not saying they don't deserve jail or punishment, i'm just saying doing something that could kill somebody isn't really going to help anything. you really think that in the contemporary socio-political moment if that drunk dude or the kid broke a bone, tore an ACL, or died from the tazing the taxpayers aren't footing the bill for the lawsuit? if the kid or drunk reached for their pocket or had something in plain view I agree, but their hands were in plain site...this makes little sense.

Either way the tax payers are paying..if he goes to jail they're paying as well

You try and minimize the damage as in not risking innocent people

Say the kid at the Phils game jumps the railing and flattens a child in the first row running away from the cops? You can't risk someone hurting other people

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,958
    I'd just like to thank the white trash of the area for turning the Phillies into the new Eagles.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    figures this is geting all kinds of exposure. why you ask? because it happened in philadelphia.

i didn't hear any talk about the guy who got tasered in oakland until last night. :roll:

big game for cole tonight. going up against wainright. we are now in may. it's time for him to start pitching like a top of the rotation pitcher again. starting........NOW.

I'm heading down tonight. I'm not concerned about the starting pitching. The bullpen is another story

when all starters not named halladay have an era over 5, ya should be a bit concerned dude.

not when it's the first week of may and 2 of 5 SPs are on the DL (blanton just returning)

talk to me in june/july if the SP is still struggling. The rotation isn't the issue
    edited May 2010
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    edited May 2010

i love chooch.

hamels looked great tonight until some other fucking buffoon ran onto the field in the 9th.

these kids and the idiots who cheer them on should do us all a favor and stay the hell home.

the new fans are terrible. I had to listen to two girls behind me tonight talk like valley girls for the entire game. and some chick that looked like garth from wayne's world was screaming random stupid shit for 7 straight innings two rows behind me. I wish people would just shut up and watch the games. Isn't that what you're really there for?

I love going to phils games, but now it's the cool thing to do and the crowds are just downright annoying.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    I'd just like to thank the white trash of the area for turning the Phillies into the new Eagles.

thank you. I said this 2 weeks ago and got ridiculed by some in this very thread.

philly fans are the worst...
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,958
    The Fixer wrote:

thank you. I said this 2 weeks ago and got ridiculed by some in this very thread.

philly fans are the worst...

I love Philly fans. Just can't stand the WT that comes with it.
    hamels pitched his ass off tonight and Lidge looked good. I've been saying hamels will be fine and Lidge is a question mark. If he can be somewhere between 08 and 09 I think the bullpen pieces will fall into place. Tonight was a good sign...if he can command his fastball he can dominate. Fastball location is the key.

Ryan Howard was terrible. I don't know what that dude is thinking sometimes. Forget what inning it was (want to guess 6th). He comes up with 1 out and a dude on 3rd (he seems to always struggle in these spots)...wainwright is obviously pitching around him to get to werth (the RH). howard gets a 2-0 count...keep in mind that wainwright has NO CHANCE OF THROWING A FASTBALL HERE (he has a base open, a RH on deck, and he wants to set up a DP)...wainwright throws a nasty deuce that howard flails at and misses. he ends up grounding out to first and the phils didn't score that inning. I can't believe he swung at a 2-0 breaking ball. that just can't happen. he has to be smarter there. 25 million a year...what a joke. then he could have had a guy at third late in the game, but failed to even make a throw, because he knows he can't make that throw and didn't want to toss the ball away. that contract is an abortion
This discussion has been closed.