Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    so josh hamilton got the same deal that howard got. haven't seen the final details, so I'm not sure if there's an option for a 6th year like howard got :roll: . I'm guessing that with the sixth year/buyout that howards deal is still worth more money. unbelievable...really is the worst contract of all time.

thank god the yanks ponied up for ichiro...that would have been yet another mistake.

amaro is the worst

Howard contract aside (who would've thought you'd bring that up?) I'm happy to let the Angels give Hamilton 5 years. He'll probably be working on giving up tobacco down the stretch run again next year.

Just puts it into perspective every time a great player gets an equal or lesser deal than the black pear got.

For the record, I didn't want hamilton...and I think 5 years is too long for him. But if we are comparing contracts, I'd much rather pay for hamilton who will give you value over the life of the deal, than howard, who is incurring diminishing returns for the phils.

so yeah, still the worst contract in sports. only 4 more years (and a substantial buyout) left!!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    Phillies agree to contract with left-hander John Lannan

D.J. Short

Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
    3 Comments
    Washington Nationals' Lannan pitches to New York Mets in MLB game in New York

UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that it’s a one-year deal with a $2.5 million base salary. He could make an additional $2.5 million in performance incentives. Given what we’ve seen in this market, this is a pretty nice deal for the Phillies.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Phillies and Mike Adams agree to two-year, $12 million contract

Matthew Pouliot

Dec 15, 2012, 9:03 AM EST
    4 Comments
    Mike Adams AP

UPDATE: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies and Mike Adams have agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract, pending a physical. The deal includes a vesting option for 2015.

1:54 AM: Mike Adams won’t get a chance to close after finding himself in free agency for the first time, but he will get closer-type money to set up for Jonathan Papelbon in Philadelphia.

According to Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown, the Phillies and Adams are close to a two-year deal with a vesting option for 2015. Citing family sources, KRIS-TV reported earlier that it’d be a three-year, $18 million pact, and while that doesn’t seem quite correct, the dollars are probably about right.

Adams, long one of the game’s best setup men, had a 3.27 ERA in 61 appearances for the Rangers last season. He allowed just one homer all year until his last appearance, when he gave up three, and then he was shut down the next day because of thoracic outlet syndrome. The condition required surgery, but he’s expected to be ready for spring training.

Having Adams available to work the eighth will take some pressure off young Phillies relievers such as Phillippe Aumont, Justin De Fratus and Jake Diekman. With Adams likely making $6 million per year and Papelbon earning $12.5 million, the Phillies will have one of the game’s most expensive bullpens. Fortunately, they’ll make up for it by having one of the cheapest outfields after trading Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino last summer and acquiring Ben Revere to take over in center.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Some of these highlight clips are must watch...especially if you want to laugh

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/3752 ... s-analysis
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Lannan is from my summer town

good kid......good family
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

at least now he can't throw at utley.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

where do you live?

one of my boys from college just lost his entire house in Long Beach during sandy. Damn shame.

Also know a bunch of dudes who live in rockville centre. Cool town
  • Options
    scared to see how much dipshit gives cody ross. they need to take away his cell and laptop and lock him in a basement until the season starts. unless they are going to sign another RP, they should not make any more FA signings. best to just go into the season with the poo-poo platter platoons of nix/ruff in LF and brown/mayberry in RF (I still have no idea why they released schierholtz, who is the best out of all of these guys). If they need to, they can always add a corner guy during the year.

All in all, I think this is turning out to be another weak offseason for this team. I don't understand why amaro gets a pass
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    The Fixer wrote:

where do you live?

one of my boys from college just lost his entire house in Long Beach during sandy. Damn shame.

Also know a bunch of dudes who live in rockville centre. Cool town

summer crib is in long beach..town got destroyed
    where Lannan is from and parents still live

sorry bout your friend...sadly way too many stories like that

we were lucky in that the main part of the our crib is up on a porch ....so our damage was nothing over the top

rockville centre is 20 min away ...nice little town ..work with a few guys who live there
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,238
    The Fixer wrote:
    scared to see how much dipshit gives cody ross. they need to take away his cell and laptop and lock him in a basement until the season starts. unless they are going to sign another RP, they should not make any more FA signings. best to just go into the season with the poo-poo platter platoons of nix/ruff in LF and brown/mayberry in RF (I still have no idea why they released schierholtz, who is the best out of all of these guys). If they need to, they can always add a corner guy during the year.

All in all, I think this is turning out to be another weak offseason for this team. I don't understand why amaro gets a pass

can we get you on record of what you would done this off-season? and no you may not go back and change previous moves prior to this offseason. i want to hear your thoughts.
  • Options
    tried fette sau a few weeks ago. food was OK. ribs were disappointing...I like it when they fall off the bone when you bite into them...these were tougher than I like. Best thing I had was the pulled chicken, which was damn good. They also didn't have cornbread, which I thought was weak for a bbq spot. atmosphere is cool...no wait staff, it's soup nazi style as you order at the front, then take your tray to the cafeteria/beer hall type seating.

great whiskey selection, which I took full advantage of.

Decent spot...I wouldn't rush back for dinner. Better spot to just drop in a grab a bite if you're in the area. Perfect lunch spot (minus the whiskey).

Got reservations at the Pyramid Club in January. Excited to check that place out.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

can we get you on record of what you would done this off-season? and no you may not go back and change previous moves prior to this offseason. i want to hear your thoughts.

1 - signed keppinger to play third. contingency plan would have been to sign hanahan or chavez to a one year deal and platoon with frandsen

2 - first preference in CF was pagan, but not for what he eventually signed for. Denard Span would have been perfect. Amaro ended up paying via trade for a lesser player (revere). I'm OK with revere in center, but the nats made out much better with the span deal. the trade looks fine in a vacuum, but if you compare it to the span trade it doesn't look so good. You can also argue that the phils should have taken jackie bradley jr over larry greene jr (phils took greene the pick before bradley two years ago...some people here hated that pick at the time)...bradley is said to be MLB ready and could be the boston CF when ellsbury is traded or leaves next year

3 - I would have preferred soria and/or madson to adams. All are coming off of injuries, so I'd rather have the younger guys...a foreign concept to amaro.

4 - with the way the roster is currently constructed (terribly), I would not have paid a ton of money for any of the corner OFs. torii hunter would have been a good option on a two year deal, but that's pretty much it. Swisher would have fit well into their lineup because unlike everyone but utley and chooch, he can actually work a count. I would not have sacrificed a first round pick for him though (or given him 4-5 years that he will probably get). Hopefully they do not sign cody ross, who would be a mistake if he gets the three plus years that he is seeking.

5 - Kept Nate Schierholtz, who was the best OF on the roster. Cutting him for nothing makes zero sense to me. If someone had to be cut, it should have been mayberry or nix (who inexplicably got two guaranteed years last offseason).

This is just off the top of my head. This team's main problem since 2010 has been the lineup. Last year the bullpen was added to that equation. Amaro's solution was to trade for michael young and ben revere, neither of who offer much upside in terms of offensive production (or in youngs case, offensive or defensive production). The core guys are also another year away from their prime years, so it's unrealistic to expect them to revert back to their 2008-2009 level production.

I don't think this offseason is as bad as last years' (which was so bad it was virtually impossible to duplicate). That said, I think the nats and braves got better and the phils stayed the same (or potentially worse if you add diminishing production due to age and increased injury potential). On paper, the nats might be the best team in baseball right now. It blows going into a season knowing that your team is hoping for a wild card spot. That's the reality and we all have amaro to thank. Why does he get a pass?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617
    edited December 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
    tried fette sau a few weeks ago. food was OK. ribs were disappointing...I like it when they fall off the bone when you bite into them...these were tougher than I like. Best thing I had was the pulled chicken, which was damn good. They also didn't have cornbread, which I thought was weak for a bbq spot. atmosphere is cool...no wait staff, it's soup nazi style as you order at the front, then take your tray to the cafeteria/beer hall type seating.

Decent spot...I wouldn't rush back for dinner. Better spot to just drop in a grab a bite if you're in the area. Perfect lunch spot (minus the whiskey).

Got reservations at the Pyramid Club in January. Excited to check that place out.

The pork belly and brisket were unreal. I don't really remember the ribs. Was with a decent group and just had them hook up a big tasting plate. A little bit of everything. Those two were by far my favorite though. So fucking good. I had no complaints.

Bainbridge Barrel House is fucking sweet too.

http://www.bainbridgestreetbarrelhouse.com/
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    A pretty cool christmas gift for anyone who likes to cook

http://www.amazon.com/Philadelphia-Chef ... 7s+table#_
  • Options
    the 1980 phillies vs the 1980 royals on the family feud. anyone see this yet?

http://www.the700level.com/baseball-phi ... eedID=8510

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The pork belly and brisket were unreal. I don't really remember the ribs. Was with a decent group and just had them hook up a big tasting plate. A little bit of everything. Those two were by far my favorite though. So fucking good. I had no complaints.

we almost went to bainbridge st barrell house on saturday. were heading to an xmas party. ended up at north 3rd instead (wife made the call). hadn't eaten there since I lived over that way. blah. should have just hit standard tap.
  • Options
    One of the best things about my industry is that it pretty much shuts down during the last 2-3 weeks of the year. I have a few appointments tomorrow, but I'm mostly just screwing around online this week. Already hit most of my sales goals for the year, so I am in sandbag mode. Pretty fucking bored. Love my job.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

we almost went to bainbridge st barrell house on saturday. were heading to an xmas party. ended up at north 3rd instead (wife made the call). hadn't eaten there since I lived over that way. blah. should have just hit standard tap.

I haven't been to N 3rd in a long time. Bainbridge is sweet. Have only ate a full meal there for lunch, which was sweet, Gyro was awesome. Other times have just ordered a bunch of small stuff and picked at it. Gnocci is incredible too. Fries are slammin.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    One of the best things about my industry is that it pretty much shuts down during the last 2-3 weeks of the year. I have a few appointments tomorrow, but I'm mostly just screwing around online this week. Already hit most of my sales goals for the year, so I am in sandbag mode. Pretty fucking bored. Love my job.

I am unusually busy these past few weeks, usually dead and have everything set in place but not so this year.

Our reps do come out of the woodwork last week and this week for holiday parties and things. I have dinner, drinks or a party every night this week. Some good spots too so should be fun but hungover and have a lot to get done.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I am unusually busy these past few weeks, usually dead and have everything set in place but not so this year.

Our reps do come out of the woodwork last week and this week for holiday parties and things. I have dinner, drinks or a party every night this week. Some good spots too so should be fun but hungover and have a lot to get done.

Nice.

2012 turned out to be a pretty fucking awesome year. the recent news of obama extending the bush era tax cuts is the cherry on top :thumbup:

you guys have plans for NYE? I think there's a big group of us hitting Tavern on Broad. Assuming we can find a sitter for the night.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Nice.

2012 turned out to be a pretty fucking awesome year. the recent news of obama extending the bush era tax cuts is the cherry on top :thumbup:

you guys have plans for NYE? I think there's a big group of us hitting Tavern on Broad. Assuming we can find a sitter for the night.

Cockface Boehner is trying to fuck everything up again today.

Nothing like that. Just a house party with family/friends NYE then the annual plans for new years day. Best day of the year.

Edit: Dude...Tavern On Broad...

The doors open at 8pm and the party starts kickin it up a notch at 9pm lasting until 2am. Superstar DJs will be playing amazing mash-ups, 80's, and top-40 club music, and the Jewlz dancers will be performing from 10pm-1am.
  • Options
    Really? I thought it was all agreed upon.

Forgot you guys blow it out on NYD. Tough since that day is middle of the week this year.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The doors open at 8pm and the party starts kickin it up a notch at 9pm lasting until 2am. Superstar DJs will be playing amazing mash-ups, 80's, and top-40 club music, and the Jewlz dancers will be performing from 10pm-1am.

Haha. I hadn't seen any of that. Buddy's fiance is setting it all up. They know someone DJing there. We are getting some VIP package. I will be sitting in a booth crushing booze, only getting up to pee
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nice.

Cockface Boehner is trying to fuck everything up again today.

Nothing like that. Just a house party with family/friends NYE then the annual plans for new years day. Best day of the year.

how is boehner fucking it up? it seems to me they're working together to get something done:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/pel ... t-proposal

i think that's actually encouraging.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Forgot you guys blow it out on NYD. Tough since that day is middle of the week this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/us/p ... =cdc4a6ab7

I would like to punch that man in the face very hard. Obama has done nothing but compromise on this. It's fucking unreal.

Yeah, I'm off the 2nd as always. Going to be a smaller party at our place because of it and no Penn State game so assume we'll be spending more time on 2nd St this year. A blast as always though.
  • Options
  • Options

Yep, it was agreed on until this morning.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha. I hadn't seen any of that. Buddy's fiance is setting it all up. They know someone DJing there. We are getting some VIP package. I will be sitting in a booth crushing booze, only getting up to pee

Ha, yeah...I can't deal with all those people on NYE. I just like to chill put together some good grub, get some good booze and have a good time relaxing with a bunch of people. Then new years day is the day to get going. Might actually make it down to broad street for a little while this year with myh office now in the Wanamaker.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/us/p ... =cdc4a6ab7

I would like to punch that man in the face very hard. Obama has done nothing but compromise on this. It's fucking unreal.

Yeah, I'm off the 2nd as always. Going to be a smaller party at our place because of it and no Penn State game so assume we'll be spending more time on 2nd St this year. A blast as always though.

no psu game should be a plus for your party's morale :lol:

bowl games are kinda weak this year. I feel like cfb was down in general. not as many star players as usual. I like having my go-to guys that I love to watch/bet on. last year there were a ton...russell wilson, kellen moore, RG3, Luck, Barkley, lamichael james, richardson, etc...this year there really weren't many. When one of your top go-to guys plays for Northern Illinois (jordan lynch, who is a complete beast), you know it's a down year.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ha, yeah...I can't deal with all those people on NYE. I just like to chill put together some good grub, get some good booze and have a good time relaxing with a bunch of people. Then new years day is the day to get going. Might actually make it down to broad street for a little while this year with myh office now in the Wanamaker.

NYE is the one night of the year (non-bach party related), where I actually don't mind going out and doing a VIP type thing. been that way since my single days, so I guess my friends and I are trying to keep that tradition going (been a few years since we've done it).

Bought a bottle of JW Green for that party I went to on saturday. I'm on a huge scotch kick right now (never really drank it until a few months ago). Sunday was rough
This discussion has been closed.