Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,677
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when beers are labeled 'imperial'? see it all the time....imperial stout, souther tier 'imperial' pumpkin.

Good question. I could very well be wrong but I don't think there is anything anymore aisde from alcohol content. I think it has some historical context but now brewers typically label higher alcohol beers imperial.

It basically means really strong, sort of like double, as in double IPA.

The historical context is this:

In Britain in the 1700s I think they made a porter for the czarina or something like that. But it had to be really strong to survive shipping to Russia. They called it imperial porter or stout.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Well, well, well fucking well. How about this shit?

Shit just opened next to Frankford Hall

http://www.phillyphoodie.com/2012/10/fette-sau.html

With this right around the coner as of recently

http://www.bubbastexasbbq.net/#!

Not going to make it there over the next couple weeks, but hoping to spend a day drinking massive beers at Frankford Hall and eating massive amounts of BBQ at these spots. Hoping for 2 weeks from now.

That area is blowing up. So much shit right there now.

Wow. Just wow.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,588

"really strong"? :lol:

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2 ... 01612.aspx

I'll bet this stuff tastes like crap.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

"really strong"? :lol:

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2 ... 01612.aspx

I'll bet this stuff tastes like crap.

Yeah, most likely. Best beer with high alcohol I've had is Mad Elf - 12% XMas Beer.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    David McCullough on 60 minutes talking about walking through Old City/Society Hill, pretty incredible. Brilliant dude.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    David McCullough on 60 minutes talking about walking through Old City/Society Hill, pretty incredible. Brilliant dude.

I watched it. I'm more sophisticated than you might think!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol:

Was a really good segment.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

great segment.

i love the fact that his office is basically an 8 by 12 shed in his back yard.

been meaning to read his truman book for years now.

......and how awful was the joint interview with reid and mcconnell? sticking to talking points in an interview that is essentially lambasting them for similiar behavior. reid even had a little piece of paper to refer to. they just don't get it. and it is beyond frustratiing. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

great segment.

......and how awful was the joint interview with reid and mcconnell? sticking to talking points in an interview that is essentially lambasting them for similiar behavior. reid even had a little piece of paper to refer to. they just don't get it. and it is beyond frustratiing. :x

And dude still writes on a typle writer. Yeah, I have only read 1776. Great book. Would like to read the Truman and Adams books as well. Pretty irrelevant, but when my old man died, I inherited a signed Harry Truman memoir that was sent to my dad by Truman after he wrote a college thesis on him. Pretty awesome. Fucked up part is that I didn't even know this signed book existed until after he died and my family was talking about him.

Yeah, that was terrible. Both clowns.

Finishing up the Paterno book tonight. Really good. I wish everyone who has a strong opinion on the situation would read that. They won't and it doesn't argue that he shouldn't be criticized, but I think it lays out the situation pretty well.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

great segment.

And dude still writes on a typle writer. Yeah, I have only read 1776. Great book. Would like to read the Truman and Adams books as well. Pretty irrelevant, but when my old man died, I inherited a signed Harry Truman memoir that was sent to my dad by Truman after he wrote a college thesis on him. Pretty awesome. Fucked up part is that I didn't even know this signed book existed until after he died and my family was talking about him.

Yeah, that was terrible. Both clowns.

Finishing up the Paterno book tonight. Really good. I wish everyone who has a strong opinion on the situation would read that. They won't and it doesn't argue that he shouldn't be criticized, but I think it lays out the situation pretty well.

that's cool man.

i really enjoyed that paterno book. how bout them smashing purdue on saturday? obrien's done a helluva job.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    that's cool man.

i really enjoyed that paterno book. how bout them smashing purdue on saturday? obrien's done a helluva job.

Yeah, dude, he has done a great job so far. Things are going to get much worse over the next few years, but it's a great start. I really like what they did with his contract, stuck with each other for a while. Neither side is going to be able to get out of it for a while.
  • Options
    Fuck the Eagles

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he's gotten good reports from the Venezuelan Winter League on Darin Ruf's defense in left field.
    With Ryan Howard manning first base, Ruf will have to show he can play adequate defense in the outfield if he wants a starting job in Philly. The Phillies are giving him extra reps this winter in Venezuela, where he's also belted nine home runs in 20 games. "Yeah, baby, I love it," Amaro said of the reports on Ruf. "I hope that he’s challenging for a job in left field next year for the Fightins. (Phillies staffer) Jorge (Velandia) likes him and says he can play left field. We’ll get others to see him. We’re not giving him anything, but he’s certainly in the conversation.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Fuck the Eagles

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he's gotten good reports from the Venezuelan Winter League on Darin Ruf's defense in left field.
    With Ryan Howard manning first base, Ruf will have to show he can play adequate defense in the outfield if he wants a starting job in Philly. The Phillies are giving him extra reps this winter in Venezuela, where he's also belted nine home runs in 20 games. "Yeah, baby, I love it," Amaro said of the reports on Ruf. "I hope that he’s challenging for a job in left field next year for the Fightins. (Phillies staffer) Jorge (Velandia) likes him and says he can play left field. We’ll get others to see him. We’re not giving him anything, but he’s certainly in the conversation.

assuming there's no blockbuster brewing involving justin upton or something....

sign pagan for center field.
    sign cody ross for a corner outfield spot (and give ruff/brown every possible shot in clearwater)
    trade for chase headly for 3rd.
    bring back madson or myers to sure up the back end of the bullpen.

on a side note, it is looking more and more likely that your juggler will finally get a chance to go to spring training this year. :thumbup:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Fuck the Eagles

If Matt Holliday can play left, anybody can.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

sign cody ross for a corner outfield spot (and give ruff/brown every possible shot in clearwater)

I love how you fuckers are enamored with ex-Giants who have won world championships. anyone else you covet? buster? panda? ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

I love how you fuckers are enamored with ex-Giants who have won world championships. anyone else you covet? buster? panda? ;)

if you can't beat them..... :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

you gotta go find guys BEFORE they break out, like sabean did.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

neither of those guys broke out with the giants.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

neither of those guys broke out with the giants.

true, perhaps, but they were showcased with the G's. No one pays any fucking attention to Marlins or Mutts :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261
    imalive wrote:

i'm sure Sabean anticipated Marco fn Scutaro hitting .600 in the playoffs (or even Cody fn Ross torching the Phils) :roll:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    imalive wrote:

i'm sure Sabean anticipated Marco fn Scutaro hitting .600 in the playoffs (or even Cody fn Ross torching the Phils) :roll:

you're damn right, he did. he's a genius ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I went to Federal Donuts yesterday for fried chicken. Yummy. :D

• Options

sounds like a place obese people would hang out :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

sounds like a place obese people would hang out :?

More like hipsters. Everyone in there was kind of skinny (except for me - haha).

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

i'm hitting a new bbq joint in town ... only 5 items on the main menu ... fried chicken and waffles for sure ...
  • Options
    :think:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/philadelp ... index.html

Reading between the lines, Salisbury suggests the Phillies have reached out to the Marlins to see if they’d trade Giancarlo Stanton in a follow up to Miami’s recent blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. “We’ve made some inquiries about a lot of players that went in that trade, both to Toronto and to Miami,” the GM acknowledged. “But nothing imminent so far.”
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/philadelp ... 1PXAijt.99
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Reading between the lines, Salisbury suggests the Phillies have reached out to the Marlins to see if they’d trade Giancarlo Stanton in a follow up to Miami’s recent blockbuster trade with the Blue Jays. “We’ve made some inquiries about a lot of players that went in that trade, both to Toronto and to Miami,” the GM acknowledged. “But nothing imminent so far.”

that guy is a stud. no doubt, his numbers would translate to your little bandbox park ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

that guy is a stud. no doubt, his numbers would translate to your little bandbox park ;)

and i don't care what he says, i am calling that dude "mike."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

and i don't care what he says, i am calling that dude "mike."

yeah, his girlfriends can call him giancarlo :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Talk of BJ Upton...

Somebody tell me he isn't the next Carl Crawford.

This discussion has been closed.