***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I think i heard in 2008 they picked the Phils !!

That turned out alright :)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716

Not the case

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... /previews/

Last year was rough on the NL side: Cubs-Mets, ouch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not the case

Doh !

I think we can take these predictions with a grain of salt
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not the case

Doh !

I think we can take these predictions with a grain of salt

Absolutely, that is why the season is played. Just a few short days
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Schilling: Phillies erred in trading Lee
    POSTED: April 1, 2010 By Ashley Fox

MEDFIELD, Mass. - Curt Schilling needed no prompting. The question was innocuous. Did he like this year's Phillies team?

"I think trading Cliff Lee was the stupidest thing they've ever done, and they didn't have to," Schilling said. "They didn't have to do it. It was a stupid, stupid move. They could've had a World Series berth locked up right now with those two guys at the top of their rotation."

Those two being Lee and Roy Halladay.

Schilling knows a little something about pitching power propelling a team to a World Series championship. He and Randy Johnson were unstoppable in 2001, combining for a 43-12 regular-season record and 9-1 record in the postseason. In the World Series against the Yankees, Schilling and Johnson went 4-0 - Schilling pitched Game 4 on three days' rest and left in the seventh inning with a 1-1 tie - with a 1.40 ERA and struck out 45 Yankees in 391/3 innings.

Arizona beat New York in seven games, with Schilling starting Game 7 and Johnson getting the win as the closer one night after pitching in Game 6. Johnson and Schilling finished 1-2 in Cy Young Award voting, shared the World Series most valuable player award, and were named Sportsmen of the Year by Sports Illustrated.

Had the Phillies not traded Lee to Seattle after acquiring Halladay from Toronto in December, the pitching aces, not to mention the Phillies, could have had similar results, according to Schilling.

"Those guys would've finished legitimately 1-2 [as] Cy Young candidates on the same staff," Schilling said. "You've got Cole Hamels in the three slot, which is a dream come true for both. They would've been a 110-win team."

Instead, the Phillies sent Lee, who won both of his starts in the 2009 World Series against the Yankees, to Seattle to replenish their farm system, which was decimated in the Halladay deal. To get Halladay, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. agreed to give up pitching prospect Kyle Drabek, catching prospect Travis D'Arnaud, and outfield prospect Michael Taylor. In the Lee deal, the Phillies got Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, and J.C. Ramirez.

"The Roy Halladay deal, I think, gave them the perception that they depleted their minor-league system," Schilling said. "That's one of those things now where, five years ago, so what? Now, your minor-league system ranking is such a big deal, because that speaks to your scouting and your drafting and all those things. It's a direct reflection on your general manager.

"If they hadn't made that [Lee] deal, I think they felt like their minor-league system would've been trashed, even though it wasn't. They still had a lot of talent. But it was to restock. If you draft right, you can literally restock your system in a year or two now.

"There's no other reason why they made that deal, none whatsoever. That's why they didn't push trying to re-sign Cliff, because I think they felt like he would've been real receptive to it, so then they would've looked even worse, because 'We traded a guy who wants to be here.' "

Schilling said that Halladay is "a fantastic guy" and "a hard worker," but he pointed to Lee's postseason performance last year and shook his head.

"He's coming off a phenomenal run when he came over," Schilling said of Lee. "He showed them [in] October he was going to be better than everybody else. You don't know what you're getting there. Doc's never pitched in October. I think he'll be great and be awesome and all that stuff, but he could get to October and not be the guy. Cliff proved that he can pitch in October. That's a big loss."
    www.myspace.com
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in other news, joe blanton will start the season on disabled list. jamie moyer and kyle kendrick will both be in the rotation.

awesome.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

MEDFIELD, Mass. - Curt Schilling needed no prompting. The question was innocuous. Did he like this year's Phillies team?

"I think trading Cliff Lee was the stupidest thing they've ever done, and they didn't have to," Schilling said. "They didn't have to do it. It was a stupid, stupid move. They could've had a World Series berth locked up right now with those two guys at the top of their rotation."

Schilling knows a little something about pitching power propelling a team to a World Series championship. He and Randy Johnson were unstoppable in 2001, combining for a 43-12 regular-season record and 9-1 record in the postseason. In the World Series against the Yankees, Schilling and Johnson went 4-0 - Schilling pitched Game 4 on three days' rest and left in the seventh inning with a 1-1 tie - with a 1.40 ERA and struck out 45 Yankees in 391/3 innings.

Arizona beat New York in seven games, with Schilling starting Game 7 and Johnson getting the win as the closer one night after pitching in Game 6. Johnson and Schilling finished 1-2 in Cy Young Award voting, shared the World Series most valuable player award, and were named Sportsmen of the Year by Sports Illustrated.

Had the Phillies not traded Lee to Seattle after acquiring Halladay from Toronto in December, the pitching aces, not to mention the Phillies, could have had similar results, according to Schilling.

"Those guys would've finished legitimately 1-2 [as] Cy Young candidates on the same staff," Schilling said. "You've got Cole Hamels in the three slot, which is a dream come true for both. They would've been a 110-win team."

Instead, the Phillies sent Lee, who won both of his starts in the 2009 World Series against the Yankees, to Seattle to replenish their farm system, which was decimated in the Halladay deal. To get Halladay, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. agreed to give up pitching prospect Kyle Drabek, catching prospect Travis D'Arnaud, and outfield prospect Michael Taylor. In the Lee deal, the Phillies got Phillippe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, and J.C. Ramirez.

"The Roy Halladay deal, I think, gave them the perception that they depleted their minor-league system," Schilling said. "That's one of those things now where, five years ago, so what? Now, your minor-league system ranking is such a big deal, because that speaks to your scouting and your drafting and all those things. It's a direct reflection on your general manager.

"If they hadn't made that [Lee] deal, I think they felt like their minor-league system would've been trashed, even though it wasn't. They still had a lot of talent. But it was to restock. If you draft right, you can literally restock your system in a year or two now.

"There's no other reason why they made that deal, none whatsoever. That's why they didn't push trying to re-sign Cliff, because I think they felt like he would've been real receptive to it, so then they would've looked even worse, because 'We traded a guy who wants to be here.' "

Schilling said that Halladay is "a fantastic guy" and "a hard worker," but he pointed to Lee's postseason performance last year and shook his head.

"He's coming off a phenomenal run when he came over," Schilling said of Lee. "He showed them [in] October he was going to be better than everybody else. You don't know what you're getting there. Doc's never pitched in October. I think he'll be great and be awesome and all that stuff, but he could get to October and not be the guy. Cliff proved that he can pitch in October. That's a big loss."

I used to live in center city...one night I was out and ran into Larry Anderson. Dude could not have been cooler. We hung out for about 4 hours (for the record, do not try to go shot for shot with LA...he will drink you under the table...just trust me). He was telling me all kinds of stuff about his playing days. I asked him about the '93 team and he told me about how the entire team despised schilling. he said after games the team would be excited to get to the clubhouse and pound beers...everyone except schilling, who would look for the cameras so he could get attention and self-promote himself.

the moral of the story is twofold. don't try to outdrink LA and don't pay attention to curt schilling
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in other news, joe blanton will start the season on disabled list. jamie moyer and kyle kendrick will both be in the rotation.

awesome.

this is a smart move. the last thing anyone wants is for blanton to have a lingering injury all year. put him on the shelf and make sure he's healthy when he comes back. the phils lineup is good enough to carry this team for the first month of the season.

as for kendrick...I have never been a fan. His stuff was marginal at best. I will say that watching some spring games, he looks like a different pitcher. He now has a cutter and changeup, which both look to be effective pitches (along with his sinker, which he used to throw 99.9% of the time). I'm anxious to see how he does with his new arsenal. I'm much more optimistic about kendrick than moyer.

baseball is a long season...make sure the injured pitchers get healthy. don't fret over this stuff, the phils will be fine
    The Fixer wrote:

I used to live in center city...one night I was out and ran into Larry Anderson. Dude could not have been cooler. We hung out for about 4 hours (for the record, do not try to go shot for shot with LA...he will drink you under the table...just trust me). He was telling me all kinds of stuff about his playing days. I asked him about the '93 team and he told me about how the entire team despised schilling. he said after games the team would be excited to get to the clubhouse and pound beers...everyone except schilling, who would look for the cameras so he could get attention and self-promote himself.

the moral of the story is twofold. don't try to outdrink LA and don't pay attention to curt schilling

i've always respected him for speaking his mind--especially during the lean years when we were being told philly was a small market town. he is annoying, but he's truthfull.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

awesome.

this is a smart move. the last thing anyone wants is for blanton to have a lingering injury all year. put him on the shelf and make sure he's healthy when he comes back. the phils lineup is good enough to carry this team for the first month of the season.

as for kendrick...I have never been a fan. His stuff was marginal at best. I will say that watching some spring games, he looks like a different pitcher. He now has a cutter and changeup, which both look to be effective pitches (along with his sinker, which he used to throw 99.9% of the time). I'm anxious to see how he does with his new arsenal. I'm much more optimistic about kendrick than moyer.

baseball is a long season...make sure the injured pitchers get healthy. don't fret over this stuff, the phils will be fine

not fretting. just sucks to have both of those guys in the rotation when we could have been better suited for injuries with lee as the number 2.

the big problem is we always get off to slow starts. having blanton miss 6 weeks and lidge out till late april does not help...

if we wanna steamroll through this division we need to get off to a good start....
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i've always respected him for speaking his mind--especially during the lean years when we were being told philly was a small market town. he is annoying, but he's truthfull.

I think he has a little too much of that 'holier than thou' act to him.

the bloody sock was fake...he's a poseur
    The Fixer wrote:

awesome.

not fretting. just sucks to have both of those guys in the rotation when we could have been better suited for injuries with lee as the number 2.

the big problem is we always get off to slow starts. having blanton miss 6 weeks and lidge out till late april does not help...

if we wanna steamroll through this division we need to get off to a good start....

the phils schedule is cake in april, so that helps.

the braves are gonna be tough. I think they get the wild card. If glaus and chipper play 130 games and hudson and jurrjens stay healthy, they could compete for the division.

can't wait for monday...baseball season is the fucking best
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961
    Nothing is fucked here. And I'm not gonna lie, the Braves are nearly hitting wayyy overrated level the way everyones pushing them. Heyward's going to be a stud, but they don't have enough of a bullpen, too many what-if's with their rotation, and that lineup still doesn't impress me till it does something. Writers and the such are just trying to find something - anything - to make the NL East look competitive. I still like the Marlins more too.

Everything in April works in the Phils favor - even with Blanton out - except for a lot of road games. Luckily, they're against no one good for the most part.
    Nothing is fucked here. And I'm not gonna lie, the Braves are nearly hitting wayyy overrated level the way everyones pushing them. Heyward's going to be a stud, but they don't have enough of a bullpen, too many what-if's with their rotation, and that lineup still doesn't impress me till it does something. Writers and the such are just trying to find something - anything - to make the NL East look competitive. I still like the Marlins more too.

Everything in April works in the Phils favor - even with Blanton out - except for a lot of road games. Luckily, they're against no one good for the most part.

well they started off 6-8 last year against a pretty weak schedule. they did pick things up at the end of the month though.

i dont think this first month is as much of a cake walk as everyone else does especially with the injuries, bullpen questions, ibanez's struggles, and our early season history. lotta road games. a west coast swing against giants. you got the braves in atlanta (where we struggled last year). marlins will be at the bank for a 3 game set--i think they're gonna be decent this year too. should be interesting. i'm thinking 12-10 or 13-9....monday cannot come soon enough though.
    www.myspace.com

the braves are legit. their rotation is scary and their bullpen is pretty solid. wagner, saito, medlen...you could make the argument that those 3 are all better than anyone in the phils pen. The braves main question mark is gonna be can they keep enough core guys healthy. that's a big if.

the phils are still the favorites to take the division, but don't sleep on atlanta.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    0405_thumb.jpg

:thumbup: hopefully no SI jinx, tried posting the larger one, but it was too big
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The Fixer wrote:

the braves are legit. their rotation is scary and their bullpen is pretty solid. wagner, saito, medlen...you could make the argument that those 3 are all better than anyone in the phils pen. The braves main question mark is gonna be can they keep enough core guys healthy. that's a big if.

the phils are still the favorites to take the division, but don't sleep on atlanta.

Hudson AND Jurrjens have been ridiculously injury proned. And Lowe was a TOTAL BUST last year. Wagner and Saito - two more that you don't know what you're going to get out of them over an entire season. Too many what-if's to be overrating them.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I'm having a lot of success with Polanco on MLB The Show '10 so that's a good sign. He's slowly earning his stripes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Lowe was a bust but he killed us last year.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Stop stressing, the Phillies are fine and should come out of the NL easily, they have had a lot of breaks go their way the last 2 years but they are so much better than the rest of the NL.

That said, I don't think they can beat the Yankees, Boston or Tampa in a 7 game series. Tampa scares the hell out of me this year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That said, I don't think they can beat the Yankees, Boston or Tampa in a 7 game series.

Can too.
    edited April 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

Hudson AND Jurrjens have been ridiculously injury proned. And Lowe was a TOTAL BUST last year. Wagner and Saito - two more that you don't know what you're going to get out of them over an entire season. Too many what-if's to be overrating them.

um, jurrjens has never had an injury (don't give me the ST crap, that doesn't count). hudson has averaged 226 innings per year over his 11 year career. I don't think either of them are injury prone.

ok, I'm done...I'm starting to sound like a braves fan. I'm just saying the braves will get the wild card and give the phils a run for their money this year. the NL is so bad the phils should still cruise into the playoffs
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Stop stressing, the Phillies are fine and should come out of the NL easily, they have had a lot of breaks go their way the last 2 years but they are so much better than the rest of the NL.

That said, I don't think they can beat the Yankees, Boston or Tampa in a 7 game series. Tampa scares the hell out of me this year.

no one cares about the AL in this thread. go away
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That said, I don't think they can beat the Yankees, Boston or Tampa in a 7 game series.

Can too.

haha, fair enough. You guys have an exciting season ahead of you. I would imagine we are still talking at the end of October.

I would be worried about the Phillies pitching if I were you and as a Yankees fan I am worried about age catching up to a few players at the same time. I do think we are in the same place at the end of October, minus some fucking awesome shows at the Spectrum.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

um, jurrjens has never had an injury and hudson has averaged 226 innings per year over his 11 year career. neither of them are injury prone.

ok, I'm done...I'm starting to sound like a braves fan. I'm just saying the braves will get the wild card and give the phils a run for their money this year. the NL is so bad the phils should still cruise into the playoffs

So I guess you don't recall Jurrjens shoulder problems last year, or the ones he had to work out of this offseason? Or the multiple DL stints by Hudson...just sayin...
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

no one cares about the AL in this thread. go away

Fair enough, although cant fans of the best two teams in baseball talk a little shit from time to time? Point is, Phillies don't have the pitching to match up with any of these teams in my opnion, unless you had kept Lee........
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can too.

haha, fair enough. You guys have an exciting season ahead of you. I would imagine we are still talking at the end of October.

I would be worried about the Phillies pitching if I were you and as a Yankees fan I am worried about age catching up to a few players at the same time. I do think we are in the same place at the end of October, minus some fucking awesome shows at the Spectrum.

Let's play 162 and then see where we're at....

Pitching doesn't scare me too much...maybe a little at the back of the rotation without the needed security blankets....but I think the back of the bullpen is vastly improved, granted Lidge needs to show up somewhere between his '08 & '09 forms - preferably closer to '08. That's just another astute observation I publish in "Duh Magazine."
    Hudson AND Jurrjens have been ridiculously injury proned. And Lowe was a TOTAL BUST last year. Wagner and Saito - two more that you don't know what you're going to get out of them over an entire season. Too many what-if's to be overrating them.[/quote]

um, jurrjens has never had an injury and hudson has averaged 226 innings per year over his 11 year career. neither of them are injury prone.

ok, I'm done...I'm starting to sound like a braves fan. I'm just saying the braves will get the wild card and give the phils a run for their money this year. the NL is so bad the phils should still cruise into the playoffs[/quote]

So I guess you don't recall Jurrjens shoulder problems last year, or the ones he had to work out of this offseason? Or the multiple DL stints by Hudson...just sayin...[/quote]

jurrjens has started 31 and 34 games respectively the last 2 years. the ST shit was precautionary. he isn't an injury concern and he always pitches lights out vs the phils.

hudson may be breaking down a little...he had major arm surgery in 2008 that effected his IP totals for 08-09.
    Let's play 162 and then see where we're at....

Pitching doesn't scare me too much...maybe a little at the back of the rotation without the needed security blankets....but I think the back of the bullpen is vastly improved, granted Lidge needs to show up somewhere between his '08 & '09 forms - preferably closer to '08. That's just another astute observation I publish in "Duh Magazine."

I hear you, that is why they play 162 games in 180 days. I would be worried about Lidge and his velocity but no need to get into that now. Hamels really is the key to the Phllies success and I don't know if I would want to put my season on the arms of such a, well you can fill in the blank. If Cole is fine, they have a shot, if not, no shot.
    Either way - it's going to be FUCKING 80 DEGREES ON SATURDAY. And I don't care that it's an exhibition game. It's a part of my Sunday package(which is a fucking scam), and what else better to do on a beeeeyoooteeefull Saturday????

Oh, and 80 on Monday in DC. Our group(Quimby's gig) will be pulling into the parking lot 24 buses strong! This weekend is looking to be fucking phenomenal.
This discussion has been closed.