***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    it makes no fucking sense for the cards, zero. trade one of the best hitters ever for a very good hitter. they would not have signed holliday to the contract they did if they didnt have every intention on resigning pujols. the cards are going to resgin pujols, period.
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    WTF is going on??? We're not playing XBOX
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    booomm11 wrote:
    WTF is going on??? We're not playing XBOX

I know...I have guys at work acting like this even a remote possibility :roll:

I just read online Victorino was walking through the clubhouse chanting "Albert...Albert...Albert.." when he was walking by Howard

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    Polanco hurt, sprained knee. Hopefully it's not too serious and he's back by opening day.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Polanco hurt, sprained knee. Hopefully it's not too serious and he's back by opening day.

I wouldn't worry about it, Pujols can play 3rd.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    it makes no fucking sense for the cards, zero. trade one of the best hitters ever for a very good hitter. they would not have signed holliday to the contract they did if they didnt have every intention on resigning pujols. the cards are going to resgin pujols, period.

STL gives pujols 25 million per year and they blow their budget out of the water. they will have almost 40 million per year locked up on 2 players. Howard, though the much lesser player, will be cheaper than pujols on the open market.

economically, it makes sense for STL. I'm sure the cards would command more than just howard if the trade ever went down.

it's not gonna happen, but it's dumb to rip olney for reporting that it was discussed. I'm just happy to hear that the phils may be exploring options to move howard. I think he's already vastly overpaid. I would love to see him moved after 2010...no way I'd pay a 1B that does one thing well (hit for power) 20 million + per year when they are operating on a fixed budget.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

STL gives pujols 25 million per year and they blow their budget out of the water. they will have almost 40 million per year locked up on 2 players. Howard, though the much lesser player, will be cheaper than pujols on the open market.

economically, it makes sense for STL. I'm sure the cards would command more than just howard if the trade ever went down.

it's not gonna happen, but it's dumb to rip olney for reporting that it was discussed. I'm just happy to hear that the phils may be exploring options to move howard. I think he's already vastly overpaid. I would love to see him moved after 2010...no way I'd pay a 1B that does one thing well (hit for power) 20 million + per year when they are operating on a fixed budget.

Just because a player will make less money does not mean that it makes more sense. As you said, Howard does one thing well, Pujols does everything extremely well. Paying the face of your franchise especially when he is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best hitters ever a bit more than you would a lesser player makes sense. It's not like Howard is going to sign for chump change. St Louis is also a gigantic baseball city, one of the best in the country and I don't give a shit, just because Howard is from STL would not lessen the hit they would take if they lost Pujols.

I was just busting Olneys balls, I was not really ripping him. And I hope the Phillies didn't spend more than 30 seconds on this discussion but sure, its always good for teams to talk about getting better. I am not a big fan of Howard, I think he is vastly overrated. He hits right handed pitchers very hard, that is it.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just because a player will make less money does not mean that it makes more sense. As you said, Howard does one thing well, Pujols does everything extremely well. Paying the face of your franchise especially when he is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best hitters ever a bit more than you would a lesser player makes sense. It's not like Howard is going to sign for chump change. St Louis is also a gigantic baseball city, one of the best in the country and I don't give a shit, just because Howard is from STL would not lessen the hit they would take if they lost Pujols.

I was just busting Olneys balls, I was not really ripping him. And I hope the Phillies didn't spend more than 30 seconds on this discussion but sure, its always good for teams to talk about getting better. I am not a big fan of Howard, I think he is vastly overrated. He hits right handed pitchers very hard, that is it.

This whole argument is dumb. Pujols all day - that's it. But it's not happening.

And on the flip side, I think people calling Howard out for being overrated, is in itself getting overrated. I don't care what anyone says - what does he do every year? Jacks 40+ homers, and drives in 135+ RBI. I'll take that all day - and if it's mostly against righty's, so be it, especially when 70% of the league is right handed. And he's got the physical make up to do it into his late 30's, barring no significant injuries. If anything ,Ryan Howard is underrated in this city and it's starting to irk me a little. The dude is the biggest star in this city since Dr. J - or at least should be. He's puts up the numbers of a superstar and wins like a superstar. AI, McNabb, Lindros(all the Philly "superstars" since Michael Jack and the Doctor), and none of them ever won squadoosh. And Howard will always be overlooked in place of players like Utley because this is one damn racist city(as goes for most of the northeast because the "Great White Hopes" will always be reflected upon better than the brothas. And it's the truth - Bird in Boston, Utley/Rose in Philly, Tom Seaver in New York, etc. etc.) Not calling anything to light, just saying it is what it is. And the shame of the matter is no one will appreciate him until he's gone. Fuck McNabb and all the same sob story for him - the difference is #6 won it all.
    This whole argument is dumb. Pujols all day - that's it. But it's not happening.

And on the flip side, I think people calling Howard out for being overrated, is in itself getting overrated. I don't care what anyone says - what does he do every year? Jacks 40+ homers, and drives in 135+ RBI. I'll take that all day - and if it's mostly against righty's, so be it, especially when 70% of the league is right handed. And he's got the physical make up to do it into his late 30's, barring no significant injuries. If anything ,Ryan Howard is underrated in this city and it's starting to irk me a little. The dude is the biggest star in this city since Dr. J - or at least should be. He's puts up the numbers of a superstar and wins like a superstar. AI, McNabb, Lindros(all the Philly "superstars" since Michael Jack and the Doctor), and none of them ever won squadoosh. And Howard will always be overlooked in place of players like Utley because this is one damn racist city(as goes for most of the northeast because the "Great White Hopes" will always be reflected upon better than the brothas. And it's the truth - Bird in Boston, Utley/Rose in Philly, Tom Seaver in New York, etc. etc.) Not calling anything to light, just saying it is what it is. And the shame of the matter is no one will appreciate him until he's gone. Fuck McNabb and all the same sob story for him - the difference is #6 won it all.

I hear you, no need to argue it, I just hate K's. Hate hate hate k's. Dude is a good player, no doubt about that.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    is it possible to have every post about this unfathomable trade deleted? it's making my eyes hurt.

buster olney should be ashamed of himself. at the very least he could have menioned how unrealistic and far away it was from ever becoming an actual possibility.

and who let the metsfan in here?
    www.myspace.com
    dom brown is a beast. got sent down today though.

thinking ahead to next year if he replaces worth...we will have a total of one right hand hitter in the lineup with a couple switch hitters and basically no power. have i mentioned how much i hate the raul ibanez contract? :mrgreen:

in other news mr bill conlin predicted 98 wins and a victory of the red sox in the series....oh yes. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • thinking ahead to next year if he replaces worth...we will have a total of one right hand hitter in the lineup with a couple switch hitters and basically no power.

Polanco and Ruiz is two. Oh, and Albert Pujols. He being traded to the Phillies, haven't you heard?
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    thinking ahead to next year if he replaces worth...we will have a total of one right hand hitter in the lineup with a couple switch hitters and basically no power.

Polanco and Ruiz is two. Oh, and Albert Pujols. He being traded to the Phillies, haven't you heard?

I heard as soon as the Cards heard the Phillies were interested in Pujols they called and said all they wanted was Cody Ransom and JC Romero. The only thing holding it up is the Pujols extension, the Phillies are offering $10 mil a year contact while the Pujols is demanding they only pay him $7 mil a year. Things might fall through if the Phillies dont lower their demands.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Are starting staff is looking sick.Calling Kyle Kendrick will the real Kyle Kendrick please keep hiding please keep hiding. Hes tryn to be a roy clone and im lovin it.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Are starting staff is looking sick.Calling Kyle Kendrick will the real Kyle Kendrick please keep hiding please keep hiding. Hes tryn to be a roy clone and im lovin it.

i gotta hunch double k's gonna have himself a year.

here's to jamie moyer retiring ASAP. beat it old man!
    www.myspace.com
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

Temper your expectations boys ... anyone who strikes out as few people as Kendrick does cannot sustain long term success.

His 9 IP in spring training are (a) a tiny sample size and (b) a statistical anomoly. Opponents are hitting .137 for balls put in play ... that will at least double over the long term.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

Temper your expectations boys ... anyone who strikes out as few people as Kendrick does cannot sustain long term success.

His 9 IP in spring training are (a) a tiny sample size and (b) a statistical anomoly. Opponents are hitting .137 for balls put in play ... that will at least double over the long term.

Don't worry there, bro. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over who ever my 5th starter ends up being...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    game against the Tigers is on tv now (philly area, WPHL) Halladay looking ok although they are losing 3-0 in the 3rd inning.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Thought I'd share a recent present from my wife. Our first child is due on 4/12, so this might be the last present I get for a while ;)

0004.jpg
    0005.jpg
    ibanez better start hitting...

pulling the trigger on opening day tix by tomorrow :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I'll be there for the home opener. Considering heading to DC next monday too. Bunch of buddies already have tix. I didn't think I'd be able to go due to work, but my schedule has changed. I want to go.

I''ve got 2 17 game plans this year. Can't wait for baseball
    The Fixer wrote:

I'll be there for the home opener. Considering heading to DC next monday too. Bunch of buddies already have tix. I didn't think I'd be able to go due to work, but my schedule has changed. I want to go.

Exactly one week till I'm in DC! Obama's throwing out the first pitch - it's a shame I'll be too hammered to care.
    The Fixer wrote:

Exactly one week till I'm in DC! Obama's throwing out the first pitch - it's a shame I'll be too hammered to care.

i'll be the registered independent booing his ass. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i'll be the registered independent booing his ass. :mrgreen:

And I will be the one regurgitating whiskey on your dome. :thumbup:
    We're done !!!!

Halladay on the cover of Si and they picked us to win the WS !!!!

:shifty: :eh:

Biggest jinx ever !!

We're done !!!!

Biggest jinx ever !!
    FUCK

has si ever been right?

cole was on their spring training preview cover last year......SON OF A...
    www.myspace.com
    We're done !!!!

Biggest jinx ever !!
    FUCK

has si ever been right?

I was wondering who they picked last year ???

We're done !!!!

Biggest jinx ever !!
    FUCK

has si ever been right?

I was wondering who they picked last year ???

kinda remember it was sox over phils? no?
    www.myspace.com
    CC was on this cover last year. That turned out alright. Can't remember if they picked the Yankees to win though, I think they did. I will check tonight.
    hahahahahahha, judging from the cover it looks like it was the Mets.

sicover_040609_sabathia.jpg

You guys are fucked.
This discussion has been closed.