***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ben Harper is going to be at the Merriam Theater for an acoustic show in October. Sounds pretty sweet. Tickets go on sale Friday.

do you think he'll play "steal my kisses?"

Not even sure how to respond. :lol:

Should be a fun night out though.

haha...sucks that that was his biggest hit.

i saw him at the mann a long time ago. dude puts on a great show.
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I'd love to know why, if he could've had it, Utley didn't have surgery after the 2010 season. He may have missed last year but would be healthier this year. Maybe? Maybe what he has isn't operable? As a fan I'm pissed that we are going through the same thing 2 years in a row. Either Utley or the Phillies are deceiving us. I've gone as far to think that Utley isn't being forthcoming with the Phillies brass. Utley is one of my favorites Damn!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Domonic Brown was sent down to the minor league camp. Out of the race for #Phillies left field job. Mayberry Jr. strongest candidate.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Domonic Brown was sent down to the minor league camp. Out of the race for #Phillies left field job. Mayberry Jr. strongest candidate.

Won't Mayberry go to Left after Howard comes back? Maybe I don't have all the facts but I though he was going to be the primary 1st baseman.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

Won't Mayberry go to Left after Howard comes back? Maybe I don't have all the facts but I though he was going to be the primary 1st baseman.

Yeah, platoon at 1B with Thome

Full time LF when Howard is back

nl cy young odds:

Full NL Cy Young odds courtesy of Bovada.lv

Clayton Kershaw 9/2
    Roy Halladay 11/2
    Cliff Lee 15/2
    Tim Lincecum 15/2
    Adam Wainwright 12/1
    Cole Hamels 12/1
    Ian Kennedy 15/1
    Josh Johnson 15/1
    Matt Cain 15/1
    Yovani Gallardo 15/1
    Zack Greinke 15/1
    Stephen Strasburg 18/1
    Chris Carpenter 20/1
    Mat Latos 20/1
    Daniel Hudson 25/1
    Gio Gonzalez 25/1
    Johan Santana 25/1
    Madison Bumgarner 25/1
    Mark Buehrle 25/1
    Matt Garza 25/1
    Jordan Zimmerman 30/1
    Tommy Hanson 30/1
    Johnny Cueto 35/1
    www.myspace.com
    bobby Jenks arrested for DUI and hit and run at 4am this morning. Yikes :crazy:

Utley's back with no update.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    nl cy young odds:

Full NL Cy Young odds courtesy of Bovada.lv

Clayton Kershaw 9/2
    Roy Halladay 11/2
    Cliff Lee 15/2
    Tim Lincecum 15/2
    Adam Wainwright 12/1
    Cole Hamels 12/1
    Ian Kennedy 15/1
    Josh Johnson 15/1
    Matt Cain 15/1
    Yovani Gallardo 15/1
    Zack Greinke 15/1
    Stephen Strasburg 18/1
    Chris Carpenter 20/1
    Mat Latos 20/1
    Daniel Hudson 25/1
    Gio Gonzalez 25/1
    Johan Santana 25/1
    Madison Bumgarner 25/1
    Mark Buehrle 25/1
    Matt Garza 25/1
    Jordan Zimmerman 30/1
    Tommy Hanson 30/1
    Johnny Cueto 35/1

what were the odds on zito? :lol:

Is your pretty boy still unsigned long term? we need to get Cain locked up.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    Ryan Madson out for year. he's has to shoot Scott Boras right?
    Utley is blowing smoke up my ass but i'll accept it only because it's Utley.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    I don't hate your team at all.....but I'm wondering if the "window" might not be closing :?

no, not with the revenues being generated and a windfall of TV money coming down the line in 3 years. may take a short term step back but not fall all the way. one of only 3 teams with winning recoreds for 10 straight years. don't see that changing even with the current injuries.

yeah, but sometimes it takes more than money. what your guys did in 2008-10 reminds me of the 1988-90 A's....the dynasty that wasn't.

a great comp. if those teams played one another oakland would destroy the phils

at least ryan howard used to be meaningful back then. I miss those days. we need pat gillick back. amaro sucks my balls

can't wait to watch wigginton, thome, schneider. and especially pierre, who doesn't even deserve to be in the majors anymore.

AIDS
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ben Harper is going to be at the Merriam Theater for an acoustic show in October. Sounds pretty sweet. Tickets go on sale Friday.

do you think he'll play "steal my kisses?"

Not even sure how to respond. :lol:

Should be a fun night out though.

yeah, I never understood the fascination with that dude. his albums with the innocent criminals (could be the worst band/supporting act name ever) were shit. then he started ruining PJ songs. No thanks

One of the highlights of PJ20 was him not being there
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'd love to know why, if he could've had it, Utley didn't have surgery after the 2010 season. He may have missed last year but would be healthier this year. Maybe? Maybe what he has isn't operable? As a fan I'm pissed that we are going through the same thing 2 years in a row. Either Utley or the Phillies are deceiving us. I've gone as far to think that Utley isn't being forthcoming with the Phillies brass. Utley is one of my favorites Damn!

no one is deceving anyone. his condition is chronic. having surgery is only a 50% success rate. he felt fine when season ended. now it's his other knee that's bothering him. I love the fans blaming utley. 610 at its finest

his injury is a moving target. surgery doesn't guarantee anything (ask brandon inge, who had it and admittedly was never the same).

sucks. the guy is one of the greatest phils ever (best from this era). he can still be a good player at his position, but he's never gonna be the same as he was.

worst part of all of this is that he could have been moved to first base for the last two years of his deal. but now there's a lesser player locked up at that position for the next 5 years. nice job minaya jr. so annoying
    pjhawks wrote:
    Ryan Madson out for year. he's has to shoot Scott Boras right?

yeah, boras probably botched madson's negotiations.

in other news, this sheds light on more amaro magic!!

Bad news for former Phillie Ryan Madson:

Following an examination in Cincinnati Saturday morning, the club said that Madson’s elbow ligament had torn off of the bone. He will need season-ending Tommy John surgery.

Phillies fans feel fortunate for missing this bullet. If Madson had actually been signed to the proposed four-year, $44 million deal during the off-season, the Phillies would have been put in a precarious situation given their other injury problems. Of course, there’s no guarantee that the off-season would have followed this specific route, but all else being equal, it would have been one more catastrophic problem to add to the pile.

There isn’t too much to add to the discussion other than that we should feel terrible for Madson. He signed with the Reds on a one-year, $8.5 million deal months after the four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies fell through. Boras suggested Madson take a “pillow contract” — a short-term deal that adds to his client’s market value so that a longer, more lucrative deal can get had in the next free agency period. With Tommy John surgery on the horizon, Madson may never again be offered a multi-year contract, and will likely never see anything close to $44 million. I chronicled the rather subpar off-season Boras clients were having, but no one had it worse than Madson.

In response to the news, I saw two reactions from Phillies fans that I would like to address as well. The first is that Madson’s injury justifies the four-year, $50 million contract given to Jonathan Papelbon. The two aren’t related; the Papelbon contract is just as ill-advised whether Madson has a 7.50 ERA, misses the season, or calls upon the spirit of Mariano Rivera circa 2008. If anything, the Madson injury should make Phillies fans feel more apprehensive about Papelbon. Pitchers are very injury prone as the act of throwing a baseball overhand is an unnatural motion for the human body, just ask Johan Santana, Stephen Strasburg, J.J. Putz, or Tim Hudson. Locked up with Papelbon for four years, the Phillies must hope their new right-handed closer avoids the randomness of the universe and the frailties of his own body.

The second thing I’m hearing is that Madson’s injury and the Phillies’ sudden avoidance during the off-season insinuates that they knew he was injury-prone. If that were true, the Phillies wouldn’t have pursued him as heavily as they did, nearly committing four years and $44 million.

To say that the Phillies had knowledge of Madson’s declining elbow health assumes one of two things: the Phillies had a sudden change of heart between the time they were negotiating with Madson and when they sidled up next to Papelbon, which was not a lot of time. The other possibility is that the Phillies were overtly bluffing to the rest of the league or to Papelbon. However, that clearly didn’t work as they ended up paying slightly more, rather than less, for Papelbon.

The Madson/Papelbon situation is just an illustration of the power of randomness. The Phillies — and the rest of the league, for that matter — should learn from Madson’s situation by being more hesitant in offering long-term contracts and large sums of money to players in a fungible position. Since relievers, by and large, are dependent on rolls of the dice, it is often prudent to have as little money riding on them as possible.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Ok ok, "feel terrible for Madson"? Give me a fucking break - he's getting 8.5 MILLION DOLLARS THIS YEAR. I won't make that my entire life. So Boras screwed him out of another $36M. He's still set for life if he takes care of his money well. The wording in that article is a little off.

Agree with everything about Papelbon - still a terrible contract.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    my buddy has flyers season tix and went to the xfinity live preview thing last weekend. said it was pretty fucking cool. sounds like the talent they have at that pbr place should be extremely easy on the eyes.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    my buddy has flyers season tix and went to the xfinity preview thing last weekend. said it was pretty fucking cool. sounds like the talent they have at that pbr place should be extremely easy on the eyes.

I'll be checking it out before or after the Springsteen concert tomorrow. I know I said it looks small, and it does, but I hear it's pretty sweet from buddies who work down there.
    my buddy has flyers season tix and went to the xfinity live preview thing last weekend. said it was pretty fucking cool. sounds like the talent they have at that pbr place should be extremely easy on the eyes.
    :clap::clap::clap:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    my buddy has flyers season tix and went to the xfinity preview thing last weekend. said it was pretty fucking cool. sounds like the talent they have at that pbr place should be extremely easy on the eyes.

I'll be checking it out before or after the Springsteen concert tomorrow. I know I said it looks small, and it does, but I hear it's pretty sweet from buddies who work down there.

the impression i got from him was that it didn't seem small once you're inside. he showed me a picture of that huge tv screen they have in there...i dunno. i'm pretty stoked to see it
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the impression i got from him was that it didn't seem small once you're inside. he showed me a picture of that huge tv screen they have in there...i dunno. i'm pretty stoked to see it

Yeah, me too. Looking forward to it tomorrow. Like I said, I hear it's pretty awesome.
    Ok ok, "feel terrible for Madson"? Give me a fucking break - he's getting 8.5 MILLION DOLLARS THIS YEAR. I won't make that my entire life.

no shit. put another way, it's like making $100K per year, for 85 years.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    giddy-fucking-up......i predict they sign him prior to the home opener ;)

Latest On Phillies, Cole Hamels
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 28 at 3:30pm CST]
    The Phillies know how much it will cost to lock Cole Hamels up to an extension, and the sides appear to be making progress toward a long-term deal, Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports. No deadline exists, but Opening Day looms as an unofficial turning point for the negotiations.

One person tells Salisbury that the Phillies are prepared to pay the left-hander in excess of $20MM per season on a multiyear deal. However, contract length is an issue, as the Phillies prefer a four-year agreement, while Hamels and agent John Boggs want more.

Another person said talks have been progressing and predicted the sides will reach an agreement. This means there’s still a chance the Phillies will keep Hamels off of the open market and away from potential bidders like the Dodgers and Yankees. The 28-year-old is on track to hit free agency after the 2012 season.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Well this is the best news I've heard all month. Hamels & Phillies possibly waiting until after Opening Day to sign contract because of luxury tax implications?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/Did-Hamels-show-his-hand.html
    CLEARWATER, Fla. — Surely, you've noticed it. Cole Hamels has acted and talked like a very confident man. Almost too confident.

Hamels will soon be a rich man, this much is sure. But as players inch toward free agency, sometimes nerves will dominate. What if I'm hurt? What if I flop?

The Phillies leave Florida on Sunday, and it's almost certain Hamels will return to Philadelphia without a new contract. But the two sides have engaged in negotiations, and it's impossible not to think optimistically about a union when you listen to Hamels speak.

Hamels and his agent, John Boggs, have refused to put any deadline on contract talks. But once the season starts, and Hamels is that much closer to free agency, does anything change?

"No," Hamels said. "My only understanding is if you sign anybody before opening day, you have to deal with the luxury tax. So that's the only thing I know of. Anything after goes toward next season. I understand that's where the Phillies are."

Whoa, did Hamels just insinuate a deal will come soon after April 5? First of all, it's unclear if that's an actual rule in the new collective bargaining agreement. Before, it varied by contract. The yearly monies against the luxury tax cap are based upon the average annual value of salaries. Hamels is locked into $15 million for 2012.

But Boggs has been involved in a similar situation before. Last season, one of his clients, Adrian Gonzalez, signed a seven-year deal on April 16. The parameters were discussed in spring training and it was not signed until then to avoid further tax penalties.

Hamels said he could not categorize the current negotiations between Boggs and Ruben Amaro Jr., but one baseball source said the two sides are closer than they were at the start of spring training.

"I don't know," Hamels said. "It's all in Ruben's hands. If I get in good shape and I play, the Phillies will make offers, and we'll counter until things look the way they need to look."

There was increased chatter about Hamels this week, not only because spring training is nearing an end, but also with the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to Magic Johnson and his ownership group for $2.15 billion.

Hamels, of course, is from California. And the Dodgers will be looking to make a spalsh with their new cash this winter. What was Hamels' reaction?

"I didn't know Magic Johnson knew anything about baseball," he said.

Hamels said he talks to Boggs once every two weeks. Typically, they'll discuss his golf game or his family.

"I haven't been thinking about it at all," Hamels said. "It's going to be one of those things that lingers until something happens."

But the way Hamels speaks, it sounds as if he knows more than that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Hhhhhhhuan Pierre made the squad

Well this is the best news I've heard all month. Hamels & Phillies possibly waiting until after Opening Day to sign contract because of luxury tax implications?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/Did-Hamels-show-his-hand.html
    CLEARWATER, Fla. — Surely, you've noticed it. Cole Hamels has acted and talked like a very confident man. Almost too confident.

Hamels will soon be a rich man, this much is sure. But as players inch toward free agency, sometimes nerves will dominate. What if I'm hurt? What if I flop?

The Phillies leave Florida on Sunday, and it's almost certain Hamels will return to Philadelphia without a new contract. But the two sides have engaged in negotiations, and it's impossible not to think optimistically about a union when you listen to Hamels speak.

Hamels and his agent, John Boggs, have refused to put any deadline on contract talks. But once the season starts, and Hamels is that much closer to free agency, does anything change?

"No," Hamels said. "My only understanding is if you sign anybody before opening day, you have to deal with the luxury tax. So that's the only thing I know of. Anything after goes toward next season. I understand that's where the Phillies are."

Whoa, did Hamels just insinuate a deal will come soon after April 5? First of all, it's unclear if that's an actual rule in the new collective bargaining agreement. Before, it varied by contract. The yearly monies against the luxury tax cap are based upon the average annual value of salaries. Hamels is locked into $15 million for 2012.

But Boggs has been involved in a similar situation before. Last season, one of his clients, Adrian Gonzalez, signed a seven-year deal on April 16. The parameters were discussed in spring training and it was not signed until then to avoid further tax penalties.

Hamels said he could not categorize the current negotiations between Boggs and Ruben Amaro Jr., but one baseball source said the two sides are closer than they were at the start of spring training.

"I don't know," Hamels said. "It's all in Ruben's hands. If I get in good shape and I play, the Phillies will make offers, and we'll counter until things look the way they need to look."

There was increased chatter about Hamels this week, not only because spring training is nearing an end, but also with the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to Magic Johnson and his ownership group for $2.15 billion.

Hamels, of course, is from California. And the Dodgers will be looking to make a spalsh with their new cash this winter. What was Hamels' reaction?

"I didn't know Magic Johnson knew anything about baseball," he said.

Hamels said he talks to Boggs once every two weeks. Typically, they'll discuss his golf game or his family.

"I haven't been thinking about it at all," Hamels said. "It's going to be one of those things that lingers until something happens."

But the way Hamels speaks, it sounds as if he knows more than that.

fucking awesome. i'm telling you...they announce it hours before he takes the mound for the home opener :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    This means there’s still a chance the Phillies will keep Hamels off of the open market and away from potential bidders like the Dodgers and Yankees.

Cole would instantly vault to Public Enemy #1 if he signed with the filthy Do*gers :x

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Xfinity live is a cool spot. I'll have more tomorrow. Victory could be better. In the middle they have high top tables with a tap in the middle of the table which just might be the greatest invention ever.
    Hhhhhhhuan Pierre made the squad

of course he did. he will fit in perfectly with their shit lineup.

amaro is so bad. I hate him
    hit xfinity live the last two nights for the springsteen shows. place is pretty damn awesome. best way to describe it is I felt like I was walking into a beer amusement park. no need to ever tailgate again.

they have tvs everywhere. flyers game was on last night. every time flyers scored they have a horn that goes off (loud as shit). cool as hell.

can't wait for playoffs. get well bryz
This discussion has been closed.