***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Chase, is that you?? I can't see or hear you. Please come back. :cry:

starting to get a little worried. heard howard will be in the boot for a longer than they expected now too.

I know, they keep saying, he knows his body better than anyone and when he's ready, he'll play. They say all he needs is 30 to 40 ABs in the spring to be ready for the regular season.

I'm skeptical too.

the fact that they said he hasn't even taken fielding practice yet is scary. the season opener is 3 weeks away. and this is 2 years in a row and even chase admits it will never really get better. are we seeing the end of his career already?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    The core of this team is disappearing fast. Don't think there's much in the pipeline either. Makes those postseason losses the last few years all the tougher to swallow.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Speaking of, am sure you guys saw this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story ... eld-issues

Am sure the front office loves how honest he is.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The core of this team is disappearing fast. Don't think there's much in the pipeline either. Makes those postseason losses the last few years all the tougher to swallow.

exactly. It is going to be difficult for this team to win another world series with this lineup. The last two years were golden opportunities and they shit themselves. I still can't believe manuel let oswalt pitch game 4. Ugh

They have pretty much zero position prospects. Would be nice if Dom Brown would learn how to catch a fly ball so he could bring some value (either as a call-up/injury replacement or as a trade candidate).
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

the wheeze kids 2.0 :lol:

thank god for roy, cliff and cole.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Speaking of, am sure you guys saw this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story ... eld-issues

Am sure the front office loves how honest he is.

Dr. Rollins?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    The park in Clearwater is awesome! Had a blast seeing the Phils this past Sunday. Now I can say I saw a baseball game end in a tie :)

Also spent some time with a friend who works for them. It's really amazing how much stuff really goes on behind the scenes that is kept away from the media ;)
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The park in Clearwater is awesome! Had a blast seeing the Phils this past Sunday. Now I can say I saw a baseball game end in a tie :)

Also spent some time with a friend who works for them. It's really amazing how much stuff really goes on behind the scenes that is kept away from the media ;)

That ballpark in Clearwater is pure awesomeness. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting it to be that nice for spring training. With around 75% of the attendance from the northeast, I felt like I was in Philly! The only thing I didn't like was the t-shirt prices($40). Of course, I would rather spend $40 or more on beer than buy myself a souvenir :lol:
    crazypjfan wrote:

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting it to be that nice for spring training. With around 75% of the attendance from the northeast, I felt like I was in Philly! The only thing I didn't like was the t-shirt prices($40). Of course, I would rather spend $40 or more on beer than buy myself a souvenir :lol:

Yeah and you can't help but to down a lot of beer on vacation in Florida at a baseball game!

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Hey, are people freaking out in here regarding the health of this team? Perfect. Now I know I can go to every site and get the WIP treatment. :roll:
    Hey, are people freaking out in here regarding the health of this team? Perfect. Now I know I can go to every site and get the WIP treatment. :roll:

To echo what others have said, utley is the one that worries me. Howard will be back, but utley's injury is kind of a moving target.

The fact that galvis has been getting time at 2B is disconcerting
    The Fixer wrote:

To echo what others have said, utley is the one that worries me. Howard will be back, but utley's injury is kind of a moving target.

What's funny is people are all up in arms because it's finally sinking in that Howard might now be back until the All-Star break. What I don't get is, am I the only one who thought that was a more reasonable timetable than April or May, or even June?

And, actually, Utley I'm the least concerned with - they said Chase would take it slowly, and that's exactly what he's doing. People just like to get their vaginas in a knot and want something to worry about. Personally, I think Utley is fine - for what he has(the knee issue) - and they're just in absolutely no rush to put him out there. This is the same guy that had an inside-the-park HR, 6 triples, and 14 steals last season. I just think it's a matter of not having him wear down and go through losing 15 pounds over the course of a season like he's done in the past. I put Chase at like 130-ish games this season, .280/.360/.450, barring any serious injuries. I just think it's overblown. He's taking fielding and batting practice, just not in games as of yet.

Playing Polanco on a regular basis is shit. That's the one that I think is going to be a hole in the lineup.
    Anyone think, when he gets healthy, there's a chance that Howard could return somewhat to his old form with the help of Thome?

And yeah, we know, he has a big contract. :mrgreen:

The Fixer wrote:

What's funny is people are all up in arms because it's finally sinking in that Howard might now be back until the All-Star break. What I don't get is, am I the only one who thought that was a more reasonable timetable than April or May, or even June?

And, actually, Utley I'm the least concerned with - they said Chase would take it slowly, and that's exactly what he's doing. People just like to get their vaginas in a knot and want something to worry about. Personally, I think Utley is fine - for what he has(the knee issue) - and they're just in absolutely no rush to put him out there. This is the same guy that had an inside-the-park HR, 6 triples, and 14 steals last season. I just think it's a matter of not having him wear down and go through losing 15 pounds over the course of a season like he's done in the past. I put Chase at like 130-ish games this season, .280/.360/.450, barring any serious injuries. I just think it's overblown. He's taking fielding and batting practice, just not in games as of yet.

Playing Polanco on a regular basis is shit. That's the one that I think is going to be a hole in the lineup.

I agree on the howard thing. Not an easy injury to come back from.

hopefully you're right about utley.

don't worry about 3rd base. they have wigginton ready to go when polanco inevitably gets hurt :roll:
    Anyone think, when he gets healthy, there's a chance that Howard could return somewhat to his old form with the help of Thome?

And yeah, we know, he has a big contract. :mrgreen:

No way in hell. That guy doesn't work here anymore
    The Fixer wrote:

april and may was ridiculous. i don't think reasonable people expected that. i've thought early june all along for howard...but i think that is extremely optimistic at this point. think i read each extra week of the boot adds about 2 weeks or something.

if larussa was the phils manager, polanco would be hitting 9th :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

no 30+ year old athlete with a chronic knee condition that he has personally said will never get better in his lifetime and who just has to deal with the pain is not fine by any stretch of the imagination. and article last week said he has not taken any fielding practice as of yet. also recall that he had the lowest line-drive percentage of balls in play last year of any player in the major leagues with his number of at-bats. the days of chase being a superstar are over. was still fairly effective last year but had no power. hopefully he lasts but i think it's 50/50 he makes it even 3 more years.
    pjhawks wrote:

no 30+ year old athlete with a chronic knee condition that he has personally said will never get better in his lifetime and who just has to deal with the pain is not fine by any stretch of the imagination. and article last week said he has not taken any fielding practice as of yet. also recall that he had the lowest line-drive percentage of balls in play last year of any player in the major leagues with his number of at-bats. the days of chase being a superstar are over. was still fairly effective last year but had no power. hopefully he lasts but i think it's 50/50 he makes it even 3 more years.

Hate to say it, but I kind of agree. Utley should probably be hitting 2nd going forward. Problem is that they don't have a 3 hitter on the roster.

Still by far their best position player, even though he's not the player he used to be.
    pjhawks wrote:

What Idiot here doesn't understand is that they said he hasn't taken fielding practice with the team during the ST season. Reporters have him all over the Carpenter Complex taking fielding practice.

Is Chase 28 anymore? Of course not. A player worsens as he ages? Especially with a chronic knee issue? WOW. Did not know that. And way to go out on a limb and say he has a 50% chance of making 3 more years. You really are a genius. There's a reason his contract is up after next season.

His line-drive rate and overall numbers were considerably down? Ya don't say. Who knew that would happen coming off a year where you have surgery on your hip and knee. Pure. Genius.

The dude is still their best 3 hole hitter. Put him at the 2 and Pence at #3 and I have no problem with that, but he's still their best 3 hitter.

As long as your still butting in with nothing more than to be negative, or use your hindsight predictions to sound like some kind of genius - especially with college b-ball and the Birds - then we're all good. Man, I look forward to your posts so much I block them. I block them. No one else. Just you and your mongoloid brain.
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    I score JP's post a 10 out of 10. Phenomenal
    The Fixer wrote:

you morons can't even remember what you posted previously since you know you said you agreed with my post about utley. freakin clowns i tell ya'.
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol::clap: :thumbup:

pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

you morons can't even remember what you posted previously since you know you said you agreed with my post about utley. freakin clowns i tell ya'.

that's how you respond after the dude called you out 30 different ways??

I was agreeing that utley isn't the player he used to be. there is no way I would ever agree with 100% of what you say. You're NEVER right. Ever
    The Fixer wrote:
    You're NEVER right. Ever

Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day...

The Fixer wrote:
    You're NEVER right. Ever

Hey, a broken clock is right twice a day...

my money's on the clock.
    www.myspace.com
    so the dontrelle willis experiment has come to an end
    www.myspace.com
    so the dontrelle willis experiment has come to an end

For a lefty, I hope that dude Jake Diekman comes up at some point. He looks like the perfect lefty you want out of the bullpen - now if he can actually do it in the Majors who knows, but I'd like to see him up.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Saw Ed rendell outside the oyster house. Good dude
This discussion has been closed.