***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm definitely in for the one on 3/3. Putting together a group of degerates. That's prob the only one that I'm going to realistically make. Will be a nice warmup for the NO trip. Did you get tix yet?

Sounds good dude, we'll definitely end up doing that one. I haven't gotten tickets, going to send an email around today and get tickets soon, probably. I'll let you know.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    The Phillies announced that they have avoided arbitration with Kyle Kendrick by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $3.585MM.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    The Phillies announced that they have avoided arbitration with Kyle Kendrick by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $3.585MM.
    quit clogging up the beer thread :lol:;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

As a leading proponent of making this thread about everything and anything but baseball I appreciate this statement.

Aaaaaaannnnd probably my best devil's advocate piece to link in here. This is especially for you Fixer, buddy. Nothing like the proceeding article to keep this thread going.... http://talksportsphilly.com/2012/01/dig ... an-howard/
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    As a leading proponent of making this thread about everything and anything but baseball I appreciate this statement.

Aaaaaaannnnd probably my best devil's advocate piece to link in here. This is especially for you Fixer, buddy. Nothing like the proceeding article to keep this thread going.... http://talksportsphilly.com/2012/01/dig ... an-howard/

lemme get some popcorn ... 8-)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    polaris_x wrote:

lemme get some popcorn ... 8-)

dig in. Fixer's reaction to this article should be classic. I
    edited January 2012
    imalive wrote:

Texeiras numbers have taken a huge kick in the balls the past two years, there's no arguing that. The decision between those two will have to be how they perform here on out. I'll put my money on Tex, probably because I'm a fan. The other 3 are clearly better and deserve bigger contracts.

Gotta love this logic though...

To justify a bounce back from Howard he assumes he will be 100% after his injury

Howard may have originally caused his Achillies tendon problem in August of 2010 in Washington. Hopefully his numbers bounce back once he is fully healthy.

Then to say Fielder is going to get worse he assumes a younger player is going to get hurt, a player who has missed a total of 1 game in 3 years.

As Fielder gets older, his overweight-ness will only slow him down both offensively and defensively. Anyone reading this must’ve seen Fielder on TV or in person at least once in their lifetime and must notice that Fielder is swinging as hard as he possibly can at any given moment. That type of over exersion may ultimately lead to a shoulder or elbow injury.

So a younger Fielder is going to get hurt more often than an older and already injured Howard. Makes sense.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Texeiras numbers have taken a huge kick in the balls the past two years, there's no arguing that.

Gotta love this logic though...

To justify a bounce back from Howard he assumes he will be 100% after his injury

Howard may have originally caused his Achillies tendon problem in August of 2010 in Washington. Hopefully his numbers bounce back once he is fully healthy.

Then to say Fielder is going to get worse he assumes a younger player is going to get hurt, a player who has missed a total of 1 game in 3 years.

As Fielder gets older, his overweight-ness will only slow him down both offensively and defensively. Anyone reading this must’ve seen Fielder on TV or in person at least once in their lifetime and must notice that Fielder is swinging as hard as he possibly can at any given moment. That type of over exersion may ultimately lead to a shoulder or elbow injury.

So a younger Fielder is going to get hurt more often than an older and already injured Howard. Makes sense.

It's funny how anyone can skew what they write to be in favor of what they're trying to say.

It's funny how anyone can skew what they write to be in favor of what they're trying to say.

No doubt, a writer can always come to the conclusion their looking for. I am pretty sure this guy wasn't suprised with the outcome of his "research"
  • It's pretty ridiculous to call this a smart move by Ruben,obviously.

I still say that Howard practically carried the offense in the first half of 2011, but of course he was terrible the 2nd half and playoffs. It did seem like he hasn't been the same since that ankle injury in August 2010 - I thought he was having a pretty solid season before that. Of course that's a problem with overly long contracts - the risk of injury.

I would take the Howard contract over the Texeira contract even today.

As I said, we're Phillies fans (well most of us here, some are spectators :lol: ), so all we can hope is that he gets healthy and returns to previous form. I mean, I don't think he's ever gonna be a 20% strikeout guy or a .300 hitter (although I think he did hit .300 with RISP, which is apparently meaningless :roll: ), just have to hope he gets his power back and has some more productive seasons.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Is his option year the 5th year or is it after the 5th year?

After

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compe ... age_id=116
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

After

Awesome.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    imalive wrote:

And then,lol!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited January 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm definitely in for the one on 3/3. Putting together a group of degerates. That's prob the only one that I'm going to realistically make. Will be a nice warmup for the NO trip. Did you get tix yet?

Sounds good dude, we'll definitely end up doing that one. I haven't gotten tickets, going to send an email around today and get tickets soon, probably. I'll let you know.

I saw that a designated driver is 10 bucks. I'm so drunk I thought that meant you could buy a DD with your ticket. Fuck, that would have been awesome
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    imalive wrote:

jesus, that was brutal to read. you know it's bad when the comments are better than the article

yes, howard was good from 06-08. no he hasn't been good since...and the chances of him finding his old form are less than his performance exceeding the value of his asinine contact.

ROI, rube. you'd think that stanford education would have taught you how it works.

also, anyone that compares howard to pujols or gonzalez is just plain stupid
    It's pretty ridiculous to call this a smart move by Ruben,obviously.

I still say that Howard practically carried the offense in the first half of 2011, but of course he was terrible the 2nd half and playoffs. It did seem like he hasn't been the same since that ankle injury in August 2010 - I thought he was having a pretty solid season before that. Of course that's a problem with overly long contracts - the risk of injury.

As I said, we're Phillies fans (well most of us here, some are spectators :lol: ), so all we can hope is that he gets healthy and returns to previous form. I mean, I don't think he's ever gonna be a 20% strikeout guy or a .300 hitter (although I think he did hit .300 with RISP, which is apparently meaningless :roll: ), just have to hope he gets his power back and has some more productive seasons.

dude, he's been horrible in the playoffs ever since they won the WS. absolutely horrible!!!

the guy used to be good. those days are long gone. so glad minaya signed him 2 years before he had to. had to lock up that decline phase!!

fucking Econ 101
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

After

Awesome.

ha, great. I need to reschedule my party for 2018. fuck.

at least fuck face will be gone by then :roll:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:

dude, he's been horrible in the playoffs ever since they won the WS. absolutely horrible!!!

he was the '09 nlcs mvp and then the only phillie to get on base against the giants in 2010.

he was awful in the 09 ws and this past fall....as was most of the phils offense, obviously.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

he was the '09 nlcs mvp and then the only phillie to get on base against the giants in 2010.

he was awful in the 09 ws and this past fall....as was most of the phils offense, obviously.

he was atrocious vs the giants.

I don't know how people can continue to defend him. he hasn't been good for almost 4 years
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he was atrocious vs the giants.

I don't know how people can continue to defend him. he hasn't been good for almost 4 years

he was not atrocious against the giants. he batted .318 and had an obp of .400....no other phillie was close to that. hence me saying he was the only phillie to get on base against the giants.

and he was great in the 09 nlcs.

so it's not about defending him. it's just trying to maintain a sense of rationality when discussing him.
    www.myspace.com
    if you remember the SF series, he struck out in half of his ABs...most of which came with runners on base. yes, the entire offense sucked in that series (and amaro left the lineup unchanged for '11 :roll: ), but howard was the one that killed the phils the most in that series.

go through the log of those games and look at howard's ABs. Then you will realize that I'm right as usual

one could surmise that howard was the weakest link in each of the phils last three playoff series losses. he's been that bad
    The Fixer wrote:
    if you remember the SF series, he struck out in half of his ABs...most of which came with runners on base. yes, the entire offense sucked in that series (and amaro left the lineup unchanged for '11 :roll: ), but howard was the one that killed the phils the most in that series.

go through the log of those games and look at howard's ABs. Then you will realize that I'm right as usual

he always strikes out. i didn't say he had a great series. i said he was the only phillie to consistently get on base against the giants...which is correct. utley batted .182 in that series. victorino batted .208. plenty of people to rip in that one.

not sure how he was awful in the 09 nlcs either, but whatever.

only a month or so away from pitchers and catchers... :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

he always strikes out. i didn't say he had a great series. i said he was the only phillie to consistently get on base against the giants...which is correct. utley batted .182 in that series. victorino batted .208. plenty of people to rip in that one.

Even facts aren't enough to over come Fixers hate. Fixer u would have made a great defense lawyer.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

Even facts aren't enough to over come Fixers hate. Fixer u would have made a great defense lawyer.

well, people continue to defend ryan howard. If people just watched the games they would realize the guy isn't good. I don't get it. Maybe I am watching different phils games then most other phillies 'fans'.

OK, that's enough howard talk for a while. PLenty of time during the next 6 years for that :roll: . god, I hate amaro.
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah he was "awful" while winning the '09 nlcs mvp. good god.
    www.myspace.com

you figure out what you think phils should do this offseason? or do you need more time to decide?

we know you like the wigginton move ('solid' according to you, which is funny)
    The Fixer wrote:

you figure out what you think phils should do this offseason? or do you need more time to decide?

yeah, offseason's about over there guy.

why do you take everything so personally? so you were wrong about howard being "awful" in every playoff series since 2008. it's not the end of the world.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

why do you take everything so personally? so you were wrong about howard being "awful" in every playoff series since 2008. it's not the end of the world.

ah, that sucks. we missed your analysis on what they should do this offseason (even though I asked you multiple times). oh well, maybe next year we will get your opinion on something baseball related for a change.

you gonna get a wigginton jersey?
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ah, that sucks. we missed your analysis on what they should do this offseason (even though I asked you multiple times). oh well, maybe next year we will get your opinion on something baseball related for a change.

you gonna get a wigginton jersey?

lose an argument...change the subject/make a poor attempt at an insult.

some things never change. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.