***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't understand the big deal about the schools. Who cares?

My high school could close tomorrow. I would spend a second thinking about it. Wouldn't care at all.

...um, hundreds of people losing their jobs?

that kind of really, really sucks...especially since there are hardly any teaching jobs available right now.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Delco thing I guess....That school was a good time, lot of great memories.

As for the jobs - yeah, there's that too. But I will say it's easier to be qualified to teach at a parochial school than any solid public school system. The whole catholic school model is antiquated. Just can't believe it's closing.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited January 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't understand the big deal about the schools. Who cares?

My high school could close tomorrow. I would spend a second thinking about it. Wouldn't care at all.

...um, hundreds of people losing their jobs?

that kind of really, really sucks...especially since there are hardly any teaching jobs available right now.

eh, companies have been closing and shutting down for the last 5-10 years. of course it's sad when people lose jobs. everyone just seems to be going crazy because it's schools and not companies. same difference IMO. especially since it's private schools.

If your beloved villanova (or duke) laid off teachers would you be upset??
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    in other news...

that papelbon contract is looking even fucking worse now that madson is desperate for a one year deal.

I am going to have a bash in 2017 when the howard and papeldouche deals are off the books

at least they have nix, thome, and wigginton

fuck you amaro
    Delco thing I guess....That school was a good time, lot of great memories.

As for the jobs - yeah, there's that too. But I will say it's easier to be qualified to teach at a parochial school than any solid public school system. The whole catholic school model is antiquated. Just can't believe it's closing.

yeah...but it's 1,700 people competing for a dwindling amount of jobs. not to mention the bus drivers, maintenance guys, cooks, etc etc etc. and any jobs those lucky teachers would get would surely pay a lot less too as i'd imagine they'd lose their tenure and stuff.

for the current students, by no means the end of the world, still a bit traumatic though.

my old high school was pretty much completely rebuilt after i graduated. it feels like it's not even the same school every time i drive past it. i think that sucks. for it to not even exist and just be a big old abandoned building years from now, that would suck way more.

such is life in america, 2012.
    www.myspace.com
    Kerry Wood huh?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,429
    Bonner. Gonna be weird ten years down the road seeing those building dilapidated or rebuilt in a different way.

in 10 years those buildings will be a part of the hospital or a giant Wawa.

2013...1st year a prendie girl doesn't get knocked up :lol: goodbye whorehouse on the hill
  • My little input on Catholic schools:

I just can't believe people don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for their kids to get molested by priests, beat by nuns, and get a substandard education. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,429
    My little input on Catholic schools:

I just can't believe people don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for their kids to get molested by priests, beat by nuns, and get a substandard education. :roll:

if your public school district is of good quality there is absolutely no reason to send a child to a catholic school. i can understand it if you live in the city and don't want to send them to the philly public schools but in most suburban districts it's just a waste of money in my opinion. and there are way too many catholic grade schools so consolidation was inevitable.
  • pjhawks wrote:
    My little input on Catholic schools:

if your public school district is of good quality there is absolutely no reason to send a child to a catholic school. i can understand it if you live in the city and don't want to send them to the philly public schools but in most suburban districts it's just a waste of money in my opinion. and there are way too many catholic grade schools so consolidation was inevitable.

Even in the city, some of the high schools like Central blow away the Catholic schools.

Goddam I hated wearing that stupid uniform. :twisted: I was thrilled to switch to public school.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    sign number 5,415 that I live too close to upper darby...

at gym today some tool had a phils t-shirt on. it was a bunch of baseball with the SPs numbers. In white letters 'I got 99 problems but a pitch ain't one'

it's in the running for the worst shirt I have ever seen
    The Fixer wrote:
    sign number 5,415 that I live too close to upper darby...

at gym today some tool had a phils t-shirt on. it was a bunch of baseball with the SPs numbers. In white letters 'I got 99 problems but a pitch ain't one'

it's in the running for the worst shirt I have ever seen

That was me, yo. We're gonna' put on our badin' suits, go downashore, get in a bowte. The owe-shun is great dis time of the year.

Fuck it. Long live Delco in all of its trashy glory.

But, uh, yeah, I mean - I know what shirt you're talking about and it's horrendous.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Looks like this San Fran trip is happening and I'll be seeing your queer baseball team out there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Looks like this San Fran trip is happening and I'll be seeing your queer baseball team out there.

nice dude.

watching this pregame show and seeing new orleans is getting me all giddy about march.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

nice dude.

watching this pregame show and seeing new orleans is getting me all giddy about march.

Yeah, man. I am sure. I was trying to figure this shit out before that. That all set up?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

nice dude.

Yeah, man. I am sure. I was trying to figure this shit out before that. That all set up?

Most people booked their flights. A few guys booked their rooms, but I haven't done that yet. Let me know if you're still thinking about it and I'll get you the details
    The Fixer wrote:

Most people booked their flights. A few guys booked their rooms, but I haven't done that yet. Let me know if you're still thinking about it and I'll get you the details

Yeah, man. Shoot me an email with the details if you don't mind. Would like to try and do it. Going to book my flight to san fran this week so I'll know more later this week.
    Madson to the Reds for 10 mil. Why, hello, 14th pick in the draft...

EDIT: Scratch that, damnit. Looks like under these new rules the Phils don't get the Reds 1st round pick but a compensation pick. Weak.

EDIT EDIT: Or does it? I'm confused. And stoned.

....Aaaaaand I found it. http://phuturephillies.com/2012/01/11/r ... aft-picks/

Nice. So they do get pick #14 plus a compensation pick in the 30's. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Also, on that Hot Stove show on CSN, Proefrock said they expect to sign Hamels to a one year deal. I take that as not arbitration. And if that's true, then it sounds like a good gesture in Hamels' camp to give the Phils a bit of a discount this year - instead of going into a messy arbitration hearing - that could help to to set up negotiations for a long-term deal. Sounds promising.
    I don't think a 1 year deal sounds like a good gesture at all. No one wants to go to arbitration and how often does it happen besides from the recent weaver situation. It would be stupid for the phillies to lowball him and take him to a hearing. I am absolutely loving that they are looking at a 1 year deal and he may hit the market.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    There goes my Madson shirsey to Goodwill.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't think a 1 year deal sounds like a good gesture at all. No one wants to go to arbitration and how often does it happen besides from the recent weaver situation. It would be stupid for the phillies to lowball him and take him to a hearing. I am absolutely loving that they are looking at a 1 year deal and he may hit the market.

Yeah, I don't like the one year thing either. Just gives him more time to consider free agency.

Amaro is absolutely terrible. Completely misread the market for relievers. That papelbon contract is a joke. If he lets hamels walk I am going to be pissed.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

No, I'm talking about them working out a one-year deal without going to a hearing. Hamels won't walk. I'll put money on it.
    wasn't contreras supposed to be checked out to see if he can pitch this upcoming season? I thought I read that somewhere but haven't seen anything. their interest in wood leads me to believe that contreras might be done
  • I agree with Cliffy - I think the one year deal for Hamels is a bad sign.

The Madson contract reinforces the terrible-ness of the Papeldouche contract. :evil: 14th pick is nice though. 8-)

Hey, I forgot, finally hit up For Pete's Sake with my dad and my wife's dad. Unfortunately I'm now too embarrassed to go back. :lol: Yeah, it's a solid place - wish it was in my neighborhood. Wish anything was in my neighborhood. :roll:

Cliffy i didn't forget you about Sonoma.

I agree with Cliffy - I think the one year deal for Hamels is a bad sign.

The Madson contract reinforces the terrible-ness of the Papeldouche contract. :evil: 14th pick is nice though. 8-)

Hey, I forgot, finally hit up For Pete's Sake with my dad and my wife's dad. Unfortunately I'm now too embarrassed to go back. :lol: Yeah, it's a solid place - wish it was in my neighborhood. Wish anything was in my neighborhood. :roll:

i think the madson/papleshlong situation is one thing we all can agree that amaro grossly miscalculated.

will be fun to make fun of papelballs stupid name for the next few years though. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    i think the madson/papleshlong situation is one thing we all can agree that amaro grossly miscalculated.

:

considering fielder is still available it's safe to say that he miscalculated the market for first baseman too. Even the pro-howard crowd around here should be willing to concede that they lost that battle
    The Fixer wrote:

:

considering fielder is still available it's safe to say that he miscalculated the market for first baseman too. Even the pro-howard crowd around here should be willing to concede that they lost that battle

iv'e actually never said i liked the howard contract..

hopefully he doesn't miss too much time this spring.
    www.myspace.com
  • iv'e actually never said i liked the howard contract..

Nobody does. Some just don't want to harp on it every day for 6 straight years.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    so....

papelballs
    papeldouche
    papelschlong

any others? you fuckers crack me up :lol:

edit: god, how I'm hoping he's a disaster. not cuz I hate you guys or your team but just for the discussion it's going to generate in your thread.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I agree with Cliffy - I think the one year deal for Hamels is a bad sign.

Yeah, they should definitely be looking at a longer term deal. The closer he gets to free agency, the more $$ he will see. I would love it.

Nice, dude. Great spot. That's pretty funny. Love it there. There way too often.

No worries man. Actually just booked my flight out there today. We have less time than we thought we were going to, so we're just going to take a day trip from San Fran. I found some tours that head out to Sonoma and Napa for day trips and sound pretty sweet. Will probably do that. Also planning on a doign a brewery tour around San Fran.
This discussion has been closed.