***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    Pujols 10 year contract
    Fielder 9 year contract
    Texeira 8 year contract

I wouldn't want any of these.

glad to have both those dude out of the nl.

amen. It moves aubrey huff up on the 1B list :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    imalive wrote:
    Pujols 10 year contract
    Fielder 9 year contract
    Texeira 8 year contract

I wouldn't want any of these.

glad to have both those dude out of the nl.

amen. It moves aubrey huff up on the 1B list :lol:

you mean tim whatley?
    www.myspace.com
    With depth, Valdez becomes expendable

(AP/Matt Slocum) That Wilson Valdez started 162 games over the previous two seasons only demonstrated the Phillies' need for a durable backup to an aging infield.

But the Phillies dealt Valdez to Cincinnati for lefthander Jeremy Horst on Wednesday because they believe they have enough cheaper options to fill that role.

"We decided we were comfortable with the guys we had," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said by phone. "At the same time he had value for us. He served a pretty valuable role for us. But generally, we felt like we had coverage in that area."

That coverage will start with Michael Martinez, who appeared in 88 games last season and hit .196. Amaro mentioned Freddy Galvis, a top infield prospect, as someone who could ultimately provide depth. And the team has signed Pete Orr, Kevin Frandsen and Hector Luna to minor-league deals.

All of them are cheaper than Valdez, who signed a one-year, $930,000 deal earlier this month.

Amaro said he expects Galvis to play every day at triple-A Lehigh Valley to begin the season. But now that Jimmy Rollins is under contract through at least 2014 and Chase Utley is at second through 2013, Galvis' current path to the majors is in a reserve role (barring injury).

"Once we signed Jimmy, we felt like we have three shortstop options in Martinez, Galvis and Valdez," Amaro said. "So we felt OK and comfortable enough to go ahead an move Valdez."

Valdez will forever be remembered in Phillies' lore for being the winning pitcher in the 19-inning game against Cincinnati. He was the first player to start a game in the field and win it as pitcher since Babe Ruth in 1921.

Amaro said Horst will be invited to camp as a non-roster player and compete for a job as a lefthander in the bullpen. In 12 games with Cincinnati, the 26-year-old posted a 2.93 ERA. Lefties had a .988 OPS against him in 22 plate appearances.

"Our reports on him is the guy had a chance to get lefties out," Amaro said, "and we'll throw him in the mix."

That mix includes Dontrelle Willis, who is on a non-guaranteed deal, Joe Savery, Jake Diekman and Raul Valdes.
    www.myspace.com
  • That fucking exhibition game vs. the Pirates is in my plan this year. Goddamit. :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    That fucking exhibition game vs. the Pirates is in my plan this year. Goddamit. :twisted:

Same here. I can wait to put them up for sale.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    That fucking exhibition game vs. the Pirates is in my plan this year. Goddamit. :twisted:

Last time I had those they let me trade them for a real game (well, buy up), which turned out to be a 20-run romp over the Rox. We'll see if they let me do that again. 20-run games seem like a thing of the past... now you get 20-inning games because nobody can score on Danys Baez or Wilson Valdez. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Yeah, I do that every year. You can always trade those tix for another game.
    Bye Brad. Thanks for 2008! "Oh my God, we did it"
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,724
    Mayo's top 100 prospects came out. LOTS of former Phillie farm hands on the list.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Mayo's top 100 prospects came out. LOTS of former Phillie farm hands on the list.

Eh, I'm not too worried about it. They'll be back in the top 10-5 of org's in the next couple years.
    edited January 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Eh, I'm not too worried about it. They'll be back in the top 10-5 of org's in the next couple years.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/2 ... -prospects

I dont know about top 5 or 10. So hard for good teams to rebuild the farm. Draft right, get lucky on some later rounds, and they can get up there but being good doesn't help. Not that that's a bad thing. Yankees never really have a top 10 farm and I have seen 5 world series titles.

Edit: And I don't agree with some of that list. Have a very hard time seeing Bostons system being better than the Yanks right now. I don't get that, at all.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/2 ... -prospects

I dont know about top 5 or 10. So hard for good teams to rebuild the farm. Draft right, get lucky on some later rounds, and they can get up there but being good doesn't help. Not that that's a bad thing. Yankees never really have a top 10 farm and I have seen 5 world series titles.

Welp, all I've known is they've turned those prospects into a 100+ win team. I'm fine with that.

Welp, all I've known is they've turned those prospects into a 100+ win team. I'm fine with that.

No doubt, like I said a system isn't everything, especially for a big market team. I never expect the Yanks to be a top 10 farm system, it's just not really possible with losing picks to free agents and drafting at the end of the round every year. International market is where the Yanks have done damage recently and that will be hurt by the new CBA too, it looks like.
    listening to Sandberg talk on CSN. Here's my prediction - Sandberg takes over as bench coach in 2013, Manuel retires after '13, Ryne becomes Phils manager in '14.
    JK_Livin wrote:

Last time I had those they let me trade them for a real game (well, buy up), which turned out to be a 20-run romp over the Rox. We'll see if they let me do that again. 20-run games seem like a thing of the past... now you get 20-inning games because nobody can score on Danys Baez or Wilson Valdez. :lol:

You can do this trough the Phillies website or did you have to call someone?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:

Think I had to send a letter actually. :lol: I have to call and ask them.

JK_Livin wrote:

Think I had to send a letter actually. :lol: I have to call and ask them.

How about if I send you a letter and you can forward it to them? :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Have a family thing this weekend so went to the terminal to pick up some Termini Bros cookies. And of course I had to get Di'Nics while I was in there. I love that fucking place.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Have a family thing this weekend so went to the terminal to pick up some Termini Bros cookies. And of course I had to get Di'Nics while I was in there. I love that fucking place.

it doesn't get much better than that. we might check out the car show on sunday....lunch is right there if we do.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it doesn't get much better than that. we might check out the car show on sunday....lunch is right there if we do.

Yeah, man. My work is about a block and a half away. I try to stay away at lunch as much as possible but since I was in there today, of course I had to. Di'Nics has a new setup in there too, a lot more room.
    This city loves their car, flower, and house shows at the convention center.

ha. and i'm not even a car guy. the wife is more into cars than i am. we just think it will make a nice little sunday (with no football). might hit up bed bath and beyond on the way home.
    www.myspace.com

ha. and i'm not even a car guy. the wife is more into cars than i am. we just think it will make a nice little sunday (with no football). might hit up bed bath and beyond on the way home.

If you have the time? Ya might not have enough time.

Anybody see this on the700level? Is this show funny? I don't give network TV a chance anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcMbzPd ... r_embedded

Anybody see this on the700level? Is this show funny? I don't give network TV a chance anymore.

ha...it's not as good as it used to be. i saw that last night though. it was pretty funny.

you'd like parks and recreation-comes on after 30 rock. i know cliff's a fan. it is home to one of the greatest tv characters nobody knows of:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDHui1BZYA

ron. fucking. swanson.
    www.myspace.com

ha...it's not as good as it used to be. i saw that last night though. it was pretty funny.

you'd like parks and recreation-comes on after 30 rock. i know cliff's a fan. it is home to one of the greatest tv characters nobody knows of:

ron. fucking. swanson.

I've heard about this Swanson character - but isn't he a rip-off between Ron Burgundy and Zack Galiafinackis(sp?)?
    On the baseball front, Phils signed Juan Pierre to a minor league deal. I like this. I guess it'll be between him and Podsednik for a spot on the bench? I like getting some good speed for the bench.

ron. fucking. swanson.

I've heard about this Swanson character - but isn't he a rip-off between Ron Burgundy and Zack Galiafinackis(sp?)?

i guess he is a little like burgundy but nothing at all like the other dude.
    www.myspace.com

LOVE Parks and Rec. The older episodes were better but Ron Swanson is the fucking man. I don't think he's a ripoff of those two. He is awesome. He was great on last nights episode with the bowling.
    I'll have to check it out. I think both shows are on Netflix streaming.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

LOVE Parks and Rec. The older episodes were better but Ron Swanson is the fucking man. I don't think he's a ripoff of those two. He is awesome. He was great on last nights episode with the bowling.

the scene last week at the ice rink had me in tears
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.