***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• I'd like to go to the Real Ale Festival if they still have it - it's been at Yards in March the past few years. Gonna be tough to work that out though.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    I'd like to go to the Real Ale Festival if they still have it - it's been at Yards in March the past few years. Gonna be tough to work that out though.

Dont think that one is scheduled yet. I was supposed to do the Philly Beer Fest but I think I may try and do these other two. Both looks pretty sweet.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'd like to go to the Real Ale Festival if they still have it - it's been at Yards in March the past few years. Gonna be tough to work that out though.

Dont think that one is scheduled yet. I was supposed to do the Philly Beer Fest but I think I may try and do these other two. Both looks pretty sweet.

Might have to hold off until the June beer week - it's tough to get home wasted and take care of a 1 1/2 yr old & 4 month old. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • From Flying Fish e-mail:
    Out this Month: Red Fish
    Well, we tried naming this beer Scarlet Fever, but the Feds wouldn't approve it because it's also the name of a disease. Since we're plumb out of time and other great name ideas, we're calling this West Coast hoppy red ale, Red Fish. The 3 C's: Columbus, Chinook and Cascade hops give the beer a robust piney nose. Two-row, crystal and cara-red malts give the beer a malty background and a 7% abv.

:lol::lol::lol:

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Might have to hold off until the June beer week - it's tough to get home wasted and take care of a 1 1/2 yr old & 4 month old. :lol:

haha, yeah man. I am sure. I have a few years in me still, I think.
    From Flying Fish e-mail:
    Out this Month: Red Fish
    Well, we tried naming this beer Scarlet Fever, but the Feds wouldn't approve it because it's also the name of a disease. Since we're plumb out of time and other great name ideas, we're calling this West Coast hoppy red ale, Red Fish. The 3 C's: Columbus, Chinook and Cascade hops give the beer a robust piney nose. Two-row, crystal and cara-red malts give the beer a malty background and a 7% abv.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's pretty funny.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    iv'e actually never said i liked the howard contract..

Nobody does. Some just don't want to harp on it every day for 6 straight years.

I am obsessed. The fact that he's not a good player combined with him being insanely overpaid drives me absolutely crazy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dude, I am interested in these. Let me know if you're gonna hit them.

We used to do the Royal Stumble at Nodding Head and the Manyunk Beer Festival every year. Haven't been to one of these in years. They are always a good time. Nothing better than walking out of there completely shitfaced...just in time to head to happy hour :D
    more amaro magic. apparently the phils don't get a first round pick for madson.

'It appears the Phillies weren’t so lucky, and instead will now receive the pick before the Reds second round pick, as well as a sandwich pick. The sandwich pick will be in the 30s, and the pick from the Reds will likely be #72. That’s a bummer.'

so rather than keeping madson at a reasonable rate (and their first round pick), the phils now have no first rounder and papelbon for 5 years at a ridiculous salary. perfect
    imalive wrote:
    so....

papelballs
    papeldouche
    papelschlong

any others? you fuckers crack me up :lol:

edit: god, how I'm hoping he's a disaster. not cuz I hate you guys or your team but just for the discussion it's going to generate in your thread.

by tax day I'm just going to call him fuck face
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Same shit different Month,lol!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    imalive wrote:
    so....

papelballs
    papeldouche
    papelschlong

any others? you fuckers crack me up :lol:

edit: god, how I'm hoping he's a disaster. not cuz I hate you guys or your team but just for the discussion it's going to generate in your thread.

pap-smear... elbon

:eh:
    www.myspace.com
  • Nice article in Inqy today about Iron Hill, which is a godsend to us suburbanites. 8-)

http://www.philly.com/philly/food/20120112_Suds_success.html?viewAll=y

• The Fixer wrote:
    iv'e actually never said i liked the howard contract..

Nobody does. Some just don't want to harp on it every day for 6 straight years.

I am obsessed. The fact that he's not a good player combined with him being insanely overpaid drives me absolutely crazy.

All we can do is hope for the best. Maybe he will rehab into something resembling what he was 2005-09 (minus the fielding, which was much improved the past 2 years).

Nice article in Inqy today about Iron Hill, which is a godsend to us suburbanites. 8-)

i thought you lived in the city?

i've got an iron hill right near me and have been to the one in west chester a bunch of times.

to me it's just okay. the beers are decent but the food is way overpriced imo
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Nice article in Inqy today about Iron Hill, which is a godsend to us suburbanites. 8-)

i thought you lived in the city?

i've got an iron hill right near me and have been to the one in west chester a bunch of times.

to me it's just okay. the beers are decent but the food is way overpriced imo

I don't know, dudes - I think Iron Hill sucks balls. Same for McKenzie's.

Johnny, looks like a new brew pub is opening up in Ardmore called Tired Hands. Might be interesting.
    mckenzies sucks too? i've seen a couple of those pop up recently.
    www.myspace.com

The one in Frazer - or is it Malvern? - has been around a while, as well as the one down 202 near the border of Delaware. So those two I can vouch for - they blow; way overrated.

It's just that the suburbs flat out suck and people hope for anything that looks mildly promising because everything's shit. Victory's spot and that Craft Ale House near you are definitely worth the trips though. Flying Pig in Malvern too(not as much the food, but the shit load of different beers).
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Anyone know about these Miller Ale houses that are popping up?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Anyone know about these Miller Ale houses that are popping up?

Not really, but if it's what I just googled then it looks like just another bar & grill.
  • mckenzies sucks too? i've seen a couple of those pop up recently.

The one in Frazer - or is it Malvern? - has been around a while, as well as the one down 202 near the border of Delaware. So those two I can vouch for - they blow; way overrated.

It's just that the suburbs flat out suck and people hope for anything that looks mildly promising because everything's shit. Victory's spot and that Craft Ale House near you are definitely worth the trips though. Flying Pig in Malvern too(not as much the food, but the shit load of different beers).

TJ's in Paoli is awesome. That place can stand up to city gastropubs. Unfortunately it has been pretty crowded the last few times I went - it's catching on. I'm glad they are doing well though. They need to bring back their pork belly BLT. I always meet my buddy their for the annual Thursday afternoon Temple 1st round tourney game. Last year was so much fun with PSU & TU fans there.

Iron Hill has great beer and solid food, and maybe it's a bit overpriced on certain things. Service is always great and it's a good place for families, and as the article says they are all located in former decent-restaurant deserts.

McKenzie's has a new location around the corner from my office, and yeah, we kind of take what we can get around here. Agree with JP that it's overrated, though I'd say it's decent enough.

I grew up in SW Philly but have lived in Havertown for over 5 years now. I miss the city, but I kind of don't. Lot of things about living in the city really blow, and it's 20-30 minutes away to go in and do anything.

The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

We used to do the Royal Stumble at Nodding Head and the Manyunk Beer Festival every year. Haven't been to one of these in years. They are always a good time. Nothing better than walking out of there completely shitfaced...just in time to head to happy hour :D

Yeah, dude. I'm gonna try and do the Big Ass Beer Fest next weekend. Not sure if that's doable for you with everything but they are highlighting beers over 8% so it should be a nice shit show.

The brewers plate sounds sweet but more laid back. Have a few people that are planning on the Philly Beer Fest, which is just okay from a beer standpoint, but should be a good time.
  • Flying Pig in Malvern too(not as much the food, but the shit load of different beers).

Yea, this place is the shit. And a great butcher shop around the corner from there (Worrell's) - i go with a guy from work on Good Friday - he picks up a baby lamb for Easter after lunch at Flying Pig.

JP, you'd really like TJ's. http://www.tjseveryday.com/

TJ's in Paoli is awesome. That place can stand up to city gastropubs. Unfortunately it has been pretty crowded the last few times I went - it's catching on. I'm glad they are doing well though. They need to bring back their pork belly BLT. I always meet my buddy their for the annual Thursday afternoon Temple 1st round tourney game. Last year was so much fun with PSU & TU fans there.

This the place we talked about a while back? That was ranked really high in the world or something
    Johnny, have been TJ's an endless amount of times. Should have mentioned it as well. Love that place. They used to have this ahi tuna panini that was amazing. A buddy of mine lives right behind there so we end up there whenever I'm at his place.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This the place we talked about a while back? That was ranked really high in the world or something

Yea by beeradvocate. 18th in the world. Which is kind of amusing, but cool.
    Johnny, have been TJ's an endless amount of times. Should have mentioned it as well. Love that place. They used to have this ahi tuna panini that was amazing. A buddy of mine lives right behind there so we end up there whenever I'm at his place.

Ok, cool. That figures. ;) I only wish I didn't have to drive there. 2 big beers and that's about it.

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yea by beeradvocate. 18th in the world. Which is kind of amusing, but cool.

Ok, cool. That figures. ;) I only wish I didn't have to drive there. 2 big beers and that's about it.

That's the thing - anything in the 'burbs is all over the place and there always has to be a plan as to driving, blah blah blah. Either that or running The Gaunlet down 30. Which is awful and make you poop your pants.

yeah i drove past that one in frazier/malver on 30 the other week. they just opened one near the gateway shopping center too. used to be a charlie browns.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, dude. I'm gonna try and do the Big Ass Beer Fest next weekend. Not sure if that's doable for you with everything but they are highlighting beers over 8% so it should be a nice shit show.

The brewers plate sounds sweet but more laid back. Have a few people that are planning on the Philly Beer Fest, which is just okay from a beer standpoint, but should be a good time.

I'm definitely in for the one on 3/3. Putting together a group of degerates. That's prob the only one that I'm going to realistically make. Will be a nice warmup for the NO trip. Did you get tix yet?
This discussion has been closed.