***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sanchez will definitely never cost 20 mil per.

And also not have an ERA under 3.
    call me crazy (or stupid) but I could see JS under 3.00.....especially in no pressure KC.

I can't see it. Between his control and the DH
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    I withdraw my argument.

still, I'm down with your idea of trading the pretty boy to improve your team. send him to LA for ethier....he would fit right in and be instantly hateable in the blue and white. :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,970
    imalive wrote:
    I withdraw my argument.

still, I'm down with your idea of trading the pretty boy to improve your team. send him to LA for ethier....he would fit right in and be instantly hateable in the blue and white. :x

Yo, who's this googly eyed chick at Giants game who bellows like a man that was getting all this pub on TV? Freaked. Me. Out. And it's god awful. But then I learned she's mostly blind. And then I felt awful.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    imalive wrote:
    I withdraw my argument.

Yo, who's this googly eyed chick at Giants game who bellows like a man that was getting all this pub on TV? Freaked. Me. Out. And it's god awful. But then I learned she's mostly blind. And then I felt awful.
    I have no idea about this :?

but I'm glad it made you feel awful ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_x wrote:
    I was looking around at teams at who would need pitching to get them to contention or put them over the top. This is what I got -

Yanks - would they do Montero AND Benuelos?
    Jays - Lawrie and a pitcher like Morrow?
    Arizona - Upton
    LA - Ethier and a pitcher to go into the rotation?
    Reds - Alonso and somone again to go into the rotation like Bailey

no way AA would make that deal ... we do need another starter ... but trading for one and giving up one doesn't solve that ... and we like lawrie ... if he even comes close to replicating what he did when we brought him up last year ... it'll be awesome ... although injuries are something i see with brett throughout his career ...

Maybe not Morrow, but a back-end rotation guy or pitching prospect could make that deal happen. Hamels makes you a better team in the next 5 years than Lawrie does. He's proven and young. Lawrie is young but not proven.
    Lawrie might be the only untouchable player on the team. They're not going to give up on a Canadian with that much potential.
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    I withdraw my argument.

I have no idea about this :?

but I'm glad it made you feel awful ;)

That's right - forgot you didn't live in SF. I think it was on HBO Sports or something, but all I could think was if this is the kind of heckling that goes on in other ballparks, then we are definitely savages here.
  • I don't think they can trade Hamels. The rest of the staff is going to get old in a couple years and he is just in the start of his prime, having really figured everything out the past 2 years. And he's proven the past 2 years he's a primetime postseason pitcher. Also, the rest of the division is trying to catch up, and nothing gets you to the playoffs better than an ace.

I know it was a real shitty loss to StL but everyone needs to take a deep breath. Baseball playoffs are and always have been a crapshoot.

So, on another note, I'm going to Barcade for a birthday party tomorrow. :D Enough of this baseball talk. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I don't think they can trade Hamels. The rest of the staff is going to get old in a couple years and he is just in the start of his prime, having really figured everything out the past 2 years. And he's proven the past 2 years he's a primetime postseason pitcher. Also, the rest of the division is trying to catch up, and nothing gets you to the playoffs better than an ace.

I know it was a real shitty loss to StL but everyone needs to take a deep breath. Baseball playoffs are and always have been a crapshoot.

So, on another note, I'm going to Barcade for a birthday party tomorrow. :D Enough of this baseball talk. :lol:

Nice! I've been wanting to go to this place. I gotta check this out. I honestly didn't know it opened yet.
    I don't think they can trade Hamels. The rest of the staff is going to get old in a couple years and he is just in the start of his prime, having really figured everything out the past 2 years. And he's proven the past 2 years he's a primetime postseason pitcher. Also, the rest of the division is trying to catch up, and nothing gets you to the playoffs better than an ace.

Nice! I've been wanting to go to this place. I gotta check this out. I honestly didn't know it opened yet.

What is it? Edit: Nevermind, I know this. Went to the one in Brooklyn a while back. Hipster central.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What is it?

A bar with an arcade - all old school ones. http://barcadephiladelphia.com/

Yeah, looked it up right after I posted that and realized I knew about that and had been tothe one in Brooklyn a long time ago. Should be an interesting crowd.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, looked it up right after I posted that and realized I knew about that and had been tothe one in Brooklyn a long time ago. Should be an interesting crowd.

Haha. It sucks that all the hipster doofuses like what I like.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, yeah man. I went to the one in Brooklyn before the hispter shit got to where it is now. I would have smoke coming out of my ears if I went back to that one now. I would definitely like to check out the one here though. Would imagine it would be a good time.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol:

Do they have TV's? We're hoping to watch the dual Temple games in the American Southwest. The b-boy and I go to all the hoops games together.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Maybe not Morrow, but a back-end rotation guy or pitching prospect could make that deal happen. Hamels makes you a better team in the next 5 years than Lawrie does. He's proven and young. Lawrie is young but not proven.

honestly ... if it was me - i wouldn't trade hamels for lawrie straight up right now ... every good player starts off unproven ... having a controllable asset at a good salary with tons of upside is something i wouldn't give up ... plus, kid has great passion for the game and he obviously is currently happy being part of the organization ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

:lol:

Do they have TV's? We're hoping to watch the dual Temple games in the American Southwest. The b-boy and I go to all the hoops games together.

No idea, but I would assume so.
    The one picture on their website doesn't look like they have TV's. I fucking hate bars without TV's. I'm looking at you National Mechanics. What a waste of an awesome bloody mary bar if I cant watch football.
    polaris_x wrote:

honestly ... if it was me - i wouldn't trade hamels for lawrie straight up right now ... every good player starts off unproven ... having a controllable asset at a good salary with tons of upside is something i wouldn't give up ... plus, kid has great passion for the game and he obviously is currently happy being part of the organization ...

I don't know dude. Definitely great to have a controllable but even better to have a legit ace. Only problem for you guys is that I can't see you extending him so it's one and done. If the Yanks got him, they would extend him, no doubt.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The one picture on their website doesn't look like they have TV's. I fucking hate bars without TV's. I'm looking at you National Mechanics. What a waste of an awesome bloody mary bar if I cant watch football.

The epitome of douche hipster doofus bar.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The epitome of douche hipster doofus bar.

Yeah, man. Gotta catch it at the right time.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know dude. Definitely great to have a controllable but even better to have a legit ace. Only problem for you guys is that I can't see you extending him so it's one and done. If the Yanks got him, they would extend him, no doubt.

i guess it would depend on whether you would trade a tom glavine in his prime for a young david wright ... and similar to what i've been posting ... when these guys it UFA status - it's hard to get the returns on the money ... i like what the rays are doing ... as soon as a guy gets to that stage - they let them go ... the new system will hurt teams like the rays and jays so, maybe that'll change ... dunno
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

I asked because I thought you might have known from being at the one in Brooklyn (i think that's what you said).

The beer selection sure does look spectacular. :D

Guess I'll have to DVR one or both of these games.

polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i guess it would depend on whether you would trade a tom glavine in his prime for a young david wright ... and similar to what i've been posting ... when these guys it UFA status - it's hard to get the returns on the money ... i like what the rays are doing ... as soon as a guy gets to that stage - they let them go ... the new system will hurt teams like the rays and jays so, maybe that'll change ... dunno

I hear you, and definitely a good point about the Rays, but they haven't won anything. The fact that they got Longoria and Moore to those contracts is incredible. Why do you say the new system will hurt those teams? I think it hurts big markets more. Huge luxury tax penalities, tougher to sign international free agents, less money for drafts means players won't fall in the draft to big markets.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I asked because I thought you might have known from being at the one in Brooklyn (i think that's what you said).

The beer selection sure does look spectacular. :D

Guess I'll have to DVR one or both of these games.

Yeah, I have been to that one, was a few years ago though and I don't remember at all. Beer list does look great.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hear you, and definitely a good point about the Rays, but they haven't won anything. The fact that they got Longoria and Moore to those contracts is incredible. Why do you say the new system will hurt those teams? I think it hurts big markets more. Huge luxury tax penalities, tougher to sign international free agents, less money for drafts means players won't fall in the draft to big markets.

well ... they've been in the post season and as we all know ... that's all you can hope for ... i do think the shitty fans they got there plays a factor in their non-playoff success ...

i think it will hurt the small teams because of the compensatory draft picks aren't what they used to be ... and it's building that talent pool in the draft that allows the small market teams to compete ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

well ... they've been in the post season and as we all know ... that's all you can hope for ... i do think the shitty fans they got there plays a factor in their non-playoff success ...

i think it will hurt the small teams because of the compensatory draft picks aren't what they used to be ... and it's building that talent pool in the draft that allows the small market teams to compete ...

Very true, and the playoffs are a crapshoot. The Rays are obviously a very impressive organization over the past 5 years. I never thought I would say those words.

I hear you but look at Darvish, it looks like the Jays are already reaping the benefits of the new CBA. The Yankees are trying to get down to $189 million for 2014 and that could be a major reason they didn't go harder after Darvish. The compensatory picks are obviously a pretty big deal but I think there is going to be more talent getting drafted at the top of the draft now.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Very true, and the playoffs are a crapshoot. The Rays are obviously a very impressive organization over the past 5 years. I never thought I would say those words.

I hear you but look at Darvish, it looks like the Jays are already reaping the benefits of the new CBA. The Yankees are trying to get down to $189 million for 2014 and that could be a major reason they didn't go harder after Darvish. The compensatory picks are obviously a pretty big deal but I think there is going to be more talent getting drafted at the top of the draft now.

i don't think the jays are reaping the benefits ... the posting fee doesn't affect salary cap so really ... it's about whether the yankees want to pay a pitcher $15 million a year that is unproven ... and it's that once bitten twice shy thing with the yanks ... and i'm not necessarily saying the new CBA is bad for small market teams ... just that based on current philosophy of rays and jays ... it affected them more negatively than the big market teams is all ... i'm sure the smart teams will work with what's given ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i don't think the jays are reaping the benefits ... the posting fee doesn't affect salary cap so really ... it's about whether the yankees want to pay a pitcher $15 million a year that is unproven ... and it's that once bitten twice shy thing with the yanks ... and i'm not necessarily saying the new CBA is bad for small market teams ... just that based on current philosophy of rays and jays ... it affected them more negatively than the big market teams is all ... i'm sure the smart teams will work with what's given ...

I don't know man, I think it does have to do with it even though the posting won't go towards it. They are going to have a tough go of it to get under the $189 as it as and it looks like they don't think Darvish is worth the money and that space for 2014, especially if Cain and Hamels don't sign extensions. So it's a combination, I think, in a previous world the Yankees wouldn't have to think twice about taking such a risk, now they do. I hear you what you are saying from a draft perspective, I just think the luxury tax hits are so big it's going to even out the playing field a bit at least for a little while.
    Meant to mention this. Went to Perch Pub yesterday at Broad and Locust. Half priced beers for happy hour and a pretty good beer list. Recommended.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know man, I think it does have to do with it even though the posting won't go towards it. They are going to have a tough go of it to get under the $189 as it as and it looks like they don't think Darvish is worth the money and that space for 2014, especially if Cain and Hamels don't sign extensions. So it's a combination, I think, in a previous world the Yankees wouldn't have to think twice about taking such a risk, now they do. I hear you what you are saying from a draft perspective, I just think the luxury tax hits are so big it's going to even out the playing field a bit at least for a little while.

well ... the absurdity is that the cap is like $180 million ... how many friggin' teams even came close to that number? ... like 5?

sure ... the yanks are gonna think twice about spending now but in the end - they will still be most likely able to overspend ...

edit: just want to reiterate that it's great for them and fans ... wish the leafs did that when they could ... ;)
This discussion has been closed.