***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    As much as the name sucks, the places in there actually sound better than I expected. Well, I only say that because of one reason - the Victory Beer Hall. That sounds fucking sweet. I hope the food is as good as their spot in Downingtown.

Yeah, I didn't realize that that was Victory, what I read didn't say that. That will be very cool. But aside from a food court that is pretty much the only local thing?

Professional Bull Riders? NBC Sports Bar?

I think the places are worse than I expected, aside from the few good ones mentioned.

this is pretty much exactly what i expected actually. the victory place should be cool.

everything's gonna be waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. can't believe it's opening in april. is there a 2nd phase opening later or something? that's quick as hell.
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    well the original plans were supposed to be for a much larger facility, but it's been downgraded big time, so the opening time frame doesn't surprise me
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,970
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I didn't realize that that was Victory, what I read didn't say that. That will be very cool. But aside from a food court that is pretty much the only local thing?

I think the places are worse than I expected, aside from the few good ones mentioned.

this is pretty much exactly what i expected actually. the victory place should be cool.

everything's gonna be waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. can't believe it's opening in april. is there a 2nd phase opening later or something? that's quick as hell.

I don't think it's an NBC Sports Bar is it? I thought it was like a NBC Sports Center or some shit - from the explanation I thought it sounded like the outdoors of the Piazza only with more big TVs.

And I really don't think the prices will be higher than McFadden's. If anything, I think in the long-run price won't be that bad - I mean gametime-in-the-ballpark-bad because there's just too many places and if anything the competition will keep prices down.
    Philly Live!? No, Xfinity Live!
    Comcast and its NBC brand will be amply represented at the new Xfinity Live! sports/entertainment complex on the former site of the Spectrum in South Philadelphia.

So will local restaurants, including Victory Brewing Co., Original Philadelphia Cheesesteak Co., Chickie’s & Pete’s, and Nick’s Roast Beef.

The project, whose working name was Philly Live, has the backing of the hometown cable giant.

Cordish Cos., the developer, and Comcast-Spectacor, the operator, view the project as a "fourth stadium experience," complementing neighbors Wells Fargo Center, Citizens Bank Park, and Lincoln Financial Field.

Announced moments ago:

An Xfinity On Demand Theater, an outdoor viewing experience that will feature everything from sports games to family movies.
    The NBC Sports Arena, featuring an indoor 32-foot diagonal, 6 mm, million-dollar Sony LED screen
    The NBC Sports Field, which will play host to numerous outdoor activities and sports leagues
    NBC Sports Fantasy Board with stats
    NBC Sports Game Experience, in the Broad Street Bullies Pub, featuring video games
    A 100-foot LED Comcast SportsNet Ticker inside a venue called the Philly MarketPlace, a gathering place with food vendors including the Original Philadelphia Cheesesteak Co., Chickie’s & Pete’s, and Nick’s Roast Beef; more will be announced.

Other dining options:
    Spectrum Grille, an upscale restaurant
    Broad Street Bullies Pub
    PBR Bar & Grill, a country-western themer based on Professional Bull Riders; Tex-Mex cuisine served during the day and a country & southern rock party at night (featuring a mechanical bull)
    Victory Beer Hall, featuring beer hall-style tables, a stage for live indoor entertainment, and a 2,000 square-foot patio complete with a fire pit and a unique panoramic view of the Philadelphia skyline.
    And free parking on nonevent nights!
    Grand opening: April 5.
    www.myspace.com
    i like the spectrum grille and bullies pub...at least they honored the old place a lil bit.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Guess I was wrong about the NBC thing, don't know why I thought it was a sports bar. It all just sounds so airport/mallish to me. The Victory place does sound pretty sweet though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Guess I was wrong about the NBC thing, don't know why I thought it was a sports bar. It all just sounds so airport/mallish to me. The Victory place does sound pretty sweet though.

I'm usually content with FDR but Victory may change that. You gotta get out to their spot in Downingtown. It's fucking sweet.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm usually content with FDR but Victory may change that. You gotta get out to their spot in Downingtown. It's fucking sweet.

Yeah, I hear you. That does sound cool. The outdoor area sounds kind of awesome. Yeah, man, I know. A guy I work with said the same thing. I have to make that happen, just a hike.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What in the fuck? Philly Live is called Xfinity Live? That is fucking horrible. I have only been here around 5 years and that pisses me off. Sounds like a giant fucking mall.

Eh, I try not to worry about what stuff is called. Everything seems to have stupid names these days.

I'm more concerned about what restaurants/bars they're putting in this place. Anyone read any news on this?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't think it's an NBC Sports Bar is it? I thought it was like a NBC Sports Center or some shit - from the explanation I thought it sounded like the outdoors of the Piazza only with more big TVs.

And I really don't think the prices will be higher than McFadden's. If anything, I think in the long-run price won't be that bad - I mean gametime-in-the-ballpark-bad because there's just too many places and if anything the competition will keep prices down.

I wonder if the NBC sportsbar thing will be like the terrible fox sports bars that you see in airports all over the country. shitty, overpriced food and weak beer selections.

the victory place sounds awesome. never been to the downingtown spot...like johnny said, that's too much of a hike. especially if I'm going to drink.

agree with JP...I don't think mcfaddens prices are that bad. more places should equal less demand (per location), which means lower prices

I wish they kept the spectrum for concerts, but this place sounds like a pretty good alternative, even if it is mostly corporate cheese
    Get the woman to drive or something, but ya gotta get out to Victory.

this information would have been perfect any time during the previous 10 months. damn you
    hopefully the new complex or whatever it's called will make it easier to get cabs at the sports complex. such a pain in the ass trying to get a cab 2+ hours after a game/concert.
    The Fixer wrote:

this information would have been perfect any time during the previous 10 months. damn you

Well, now consider it a dinner with the ever-growing family.
    It's just weird lookin', but I like it.

121511_dontrelle_phils_400.jpg
    This is on my mind. I think it will suck in the short-term but the only decent move for the Phils to get exponentially better offensively is to trade Hamels. As much as I'd hate it, I think it's necessary. How do you lock up another long-term arm and burden your salary constraints with a number as high as Hamels's will be? I don't think you can do that and think you're going to get younger and more talented on the offensive side of the ball.

Someone take the bait. I'm bored.
    This is on my mind. I think it will suck in the short-term but the only decent move for the Phils to get exponentially better offensively is to trade Hamels. As much as I'd hate it, I think it's necessary. How do you lock up another long-term arm and burden your salary constraints with a number as high as Hamels's will be? I don't think you can do that and think you're going to get younger and more talented on the offensive side of the ball.

Done. Call Cashman now. In a trade for Hamels, all bets are off. Gardner, Granderson, Montero, Banuelos, Betances, Nova, Noesi and the lower level big time prospects all probably available. Pretty much any type of player you could want in there so there is a lot to pick from. Only one year though, which hurts his value a little.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Done. Call Cashman now. In a trade for Hamels, all bets are off. Gardner, Granderson, Montero, Banuelos, Betances, Nova, Noesi and the lower level big time prospects all probably available. Pretty much any type of player you could want in there so there is a lot to pick from. Only one year though, which hurts his value a little.

I was looking around at teams at who would need pitching to get them to contention or put them over the top. This is what I got -

Yanks - would they do Montero AND Benuelos?
    Jays - Lawrie and a pitcher like Morrow?
    Arizona - Upton
    LA - Ethier and a pitcher to go into the rotation?
    Reds - Alonso and somone again to go into the rotation like Bailey
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was looking around at teams at who would need pitching to get them to contention or put them over the top. This is what I got -

Arizona - Upton

You wouldn't get Montero and Banuelos, but you could possibly get Montero and Nova and maybe a low level high ceiling prospect (Yankees fans in general would hate that trade, I would be mixed). Thats a whole lot of cheap production.

I don't like Ethier at all. I don't think he's all that good and is getting expensive.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933

makes sense..he's really just a jonathan sanchez type pitcher anyway ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah, that'd be decent. I think Ethier is hitting arbitration soon or has? Figure to be around 13-15 mil. I guess that wouldn't be worth it. Not a whole lot of control. Looks to be a FA in '13 so you'd be spending probably close to what Hamels would be, sans about 4-6 per. I didn't see much of him this year, but I like the way he swings the bat.
    imalive wrote:

Sanchez will definitely never cost 20 mil per.
    imalive wrote:

And also not have an ERA under 3.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Arizona - Upton

no way AA would make that deal ... we do need another starter ... but trading for one and giving up one doesn't solve that ... and we like lawrie ... if he even comes close to replicating what he did when we brought him up last year ... it'll be awesome ... although injuries are something i see with brett throughout his career ...
    Yeah, that'd be decent. I think Ethier is hitting arbitration soon or has? Figure to be around 13-15 mil. I guess that wouldn't be worth it. Not a whole lot of control. Looks to be a FA in '13 so you'd be spending probably close to what Hamels would be, sans about 4-6 per. I didn't see much of him this year, but I like the way he swings the bat.

Made $9.5 last year. Arbitration this year I think, so yeah. I don't see him play enough, but one of the defensive metrics has him as the worst outfielder in the big leagues, I think. Better offensive numbers than I thought though.
    polaris_x wrote:

Arizona - Upton

no way AA would make that deal ... we do need another starter ... but trading for one and giving up one doesn't solve that ... and we like lawrie ... if he even comes close to replicating what he did when we brought him up last year ... it'll be awesome ... although injuries are something i see with brett throughout his career ...

Maybe not Morrow, but a back-end rotation guy or pitching prospect could make that deal happen. Hamels makes you a better team in the next 5 years than Lawrie does. He's proven and young. Lawrie is young but not proven.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Made $9.5 last year. Arbitration this year I think, so yeah. I don't see him play enough, but one of the defensive metrics has him as the worst outfielder in the big leagues, I think. Better offensive numbers than I thought though.

Haha. That shows you how much gold gloves are worth.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha. That shows you how much gold gloves are worth.

Ha, yeah. Fangraphs actually has him a whole lot better last year then the previous years, but he had a huge jump this year. From -16 runs in 2010 to +5 runs in 2011.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

call me crazy (or stupid) but I could see JS under 3.00.....especially in no pressure KC.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

call me crazy (or stupid) but I could see JS under 3.00.....especially in no pressure KC.

Fine. It's official - you're crazy. Not with the way he walks people. Plus, going to the AL? Sha. I say he doesn't do any better than 4.
This discussion has been closed.