***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is on my mind. I think it will suck in the short-term but the only decent move for the Phils to get exponentially better offensively is to trade Hamels. As much as I'd hate it, I think it's necessary. How do you lock up another long-term arm and burden your salary constraints with a number as high as Hamels's will be? I don't think you can do that and think you're going to get younger and more talented on the offensive side of the ball.

Someone take the bait. I'm bored.

Done. Call Cashman now. In a trade for Hamels, all bets are off. Gardner, Granderson, Montero, Banuelos, Betances, Nova, Noesi and the lower level big time prospects all probably available. Pretty much any type of player you could want in there so there is a lot to pick from. Only one year though, which hurts his value a little.

I was looking around at teams at who would need pitching to get them to contention or put them over the top. This is what I got -

Yanks - would they do Montero AND Benuelos?
    Jays - Lawrie and a pitcher like Morrow?
    Arizona - Upton
    LA - Ethier and a pitcher to go into the rotation?
    Reds - Alonso and somone again to go into the rotation like Bailey

I would have taken the package the padres just got for latos
    polaris_x wrote:
    no way AA would make that deal ... we do need another starter ... but trading for one and giving up one doesn't solve that ... and we like lawrie ... if he even comes close to replicating what he did when we brought him up last year ... it'll be awesome ... although injuries are something i see with brett throughout his career ...

Maybe not Morrow, but a back-end rotation guy or pitching prospect could make that deal happen. Hamels makes you a better team in the next 5 years than Lawrie does. He's proven and young. Lawrie is young but not proven.
    Lawrie might be the only untouchable player on the team. They're not going to give up on a Canadian with that much potential.

the phils are the ones that would turn down that trade...they could get way more for hamels
    I don't think they can trade Hamels. The rest of the staff is going to get old in a couple years and he is just in the start of his prime, having really figured everything out the past 2 years. And he's proven the past 2 years he's a primetime postseason pitcher. Also, the rest of the division is trying to catch up, and nothing gets you to the playoffs better than an ace.

I know it was a real shitty loss to StL but everyone needs to take a deep breath. Baseball playoffs are and always have been a crapshoot.

So, on another note, I'm going to Barcade for a birthday party tomorrow. :D Enough of this baseball talk. :lol:

the last 2 years????? 2008 he carried the phils to a WS. pretty sure that was proof that he's a big game pitcher
    polaris_x wrote:
    Maybe not Morrow, but a back-end rotation guy or pitching prospect could make that deal happen. Hamels makes you a better team in the next 5 years than Lawrie does. He's proven and young. Lawrie is young but not proven.

honestly ... if it was me - i wouldn't trade hamels for lawrie straight up right now ... ...

ridiculous
  • The Fixer wrote:

Lawrie might be the only untouchable player on the team. They're not going to give up on a Canadian with that much potential.

the phils are the ones that would turn down that trade...they could get way more for hamels
    I know that they can get more. I'm just saying that Lawrie probably wouldn't be included in a deal for Hamels. Hamels probably wouldn't sign an extension with the Jays and their not going to give up Lawrie in a package for a rental.
    The Fixer wrote:

I know that they can get more. I'm just saying that Lawrie probably wouldn't be included in a deal for Hamels. Hamels probably wouldn't sign an extension with the Jays and their not going to give up Lawrie in a package for a rental.

I hear what you're saying. That makes sense. I didn't realize you were taking contracts into account.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,932
    Figured Jimmy would get done right after Cuddyer.

3 yr/33m with a vesting 4th year. Nice job, Amaro.
    3-4yrs of half assing it to 1st while swinging at many first pitch high fastballs.

No shit, but he's not costing them a shit load and there was no other moves to make.
    funny how $33M is no longer a "shitload." that's a lot of dough.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    welcome back jimmy.
    www.myspace.com
    welcome back jimmy.
    we look forward to
    3-4yrs of half assing it to 1st while swinging at many first pitch high fastballs.

edit: he's making aubrey huff money!! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I'm not even going to bother watching this amaro interview. I'm sure he didn't answer any of the difficult questions. Fully expecting a dog and pony show.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Doc Halladay throwing on the field while the Winter Classic is being set-up.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

fucking awesome.
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:

fucking awesome.
    get a hold of yourself ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ed Wade back with the phils as a scout. I know he gets made fun of a lot, but this could be a solid move. Wade had some decent drafts while he was here (utley, howard, rollins, hamels, madson, etc)
    The Fixer wrote:
    Ed Wade back with the phils as a scout. I know he gets made fun of a lot, but this could be a solid move. Wade had some decent drafts while he was here (utley, howard, rollins, hamels, madson, etc)

it's like he never left ;)

haha...yeah i actually like this. just don't let him give ruben any advise on trades
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

it's like he never left ;)

haha...yeah i actually like this. just don't let him give ruben any advise on trades

hopefully amaro lets wade negotiate contracts for him

For the record I think wade will end up getting the best of both trades he made with amaro
    jimmy! you son's of bitches!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oBp8rJjI44

:thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • The Fixer wrote:
    For the record I think wade will end up getting the best of both trades he made with amaro

Phillies will always be considered to get the best of the Lidge trade in my book because, you know, we won a World Series because of it. Can't ask for much more than that. (and that's coming from the "closer hater")
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

I get chills ever time I see it. I was there and it was an unbelievable feeling. I actually thought we were only going to tie it up. Everyone was jumping up and down and I couldn't see it get to the wall. Good times.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    This makes complete sense.

http://deadspin.com/5869737/
  • This makes complete sense.

Oh boy. This is gonna be a roller coaster ride.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725

Jesus, that's probably not a good thing. I got into a pretty long baseball argument with him through email during the 2009 world series after the wrote and article about how the Phillies infield was the best ever. Edit: Still have the link but the article isn't up anymore. Dude wouldn't give up, and either would I since I was taking a hall of famer to task. Was quite enjoyable.

just saw this...jesus christ.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Well, what doesn't make sense is that it's girls and not boys.
    The Fixer wrote:

Phillies will always be considered to get the best of the Lidge trade in my book because, you know, we won a World Series because of it. Can't ask for much more than that. (and that's coming from the "closer hater")

I was talking about the last two trades wade made with ruben minaya jr...
    JK_Livin wrote:

I get chills ever time I see it. I was there and it was an unbelievable feeling. I actually thought we were only going to tie it up. Everyone was jumping up and down and I couldn't see it get to the wall. Good times.

Same thing happened to me. That was the first and last time I get standing room tickets for a game.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Jesus, that's probably not a good thing. I got into a pretty long baseball argument with him through email during the 2009 world series after the wrote and article about how the Phillies infield was the best ever. Edit: Still have the link but the article isn't up anymore. Dude wouldn't give up, and either would I since I was taking a hall of famer to task. Was quite enjoyable.

he lives in the town where I grew up. I know his son and his wife used to come into the deli where I worked in high school (she was the nicest lady on the planet).

What the fuck is wrong with people? seriously

just saw this...jesus christ.
    he looks the part.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    In other news...

the fixer just finished up his sales calls for the year. I will be 'working from home' until January 4th. Then it's 3 weeks until my national sales meeting in Marco Island, FL. God I love my job.

Gonna swing by the liquor store and load up on beer and wine before heading back to philly. If possible I avoid the abortion that is buying booze in PA.

Let the holiday self pollution begin...cheers bitches
This discussion has been closed.