***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know man, I think it does have to do with it even though the posting won't go towards it. They are going to have a tough go of it to get under the $189 as it as and it looks like they don't think Darvish is worth the money and that space for 2014, especially if Cain and Hamels don't sign extensions. So it's a combination, I think, in a previous world the Yankees wouldn't have to think twice about taking such a risk, now they do. I hear you what you are saying from a draft perspective, I just think the luxury tax hits are so big it's going to even out the playing field a bit at least for a little while.

well ... the absurdity is that the cap is like $180 million ... how many friggin' teams even came close to that number? ... like 5?

sure ... the yanks are gonna think twice about spending now but in the end - they will still be most likely able to overspend ...

edit: just want to reiterate that it's great for them and fans ... wish the leafs did that when they could ... ;)

haha, yeah, it's going to be $189 in 2014. The longer a team is below it, the more benefits they get and the longer they are above it, the harder they get hit. So technically, the Yanks get under it for 1 year, get the savings then pop back up for however long, then get back down for a year again in the future. But if they stay under it, the benefits grow dramatically. I just can't see them staying under it. It would piss me the fuck off considering they are making more and more money every year. That shit better go back into the payroll.
  • My buddy called with confirmation of no TV's at Barcade. Plans are made and it's too late to change, so I'll be watching some lame DVR of a game I already know the result of on Sunday. Life goes on. It should still be a good time. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    I do not understand the reasoning by not having TV unless you are a damn hipster doofus. Watching sports and drinking in a bar go together like the American flag and apple pie damnit.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    there is no way there are more hipsters in philly than NY ... NY is the epicenter for hipsters ... :evil:
    I do not understand the reasoning by not having TV unless you are a damn hipster doofus. Watching sports and drinking in a bar go together like the American flag and apple pie damnit.

It's the only explanation.
    polaris_x wrote:
    there is no way there are more hipsters in philly than NY ... NY is the epicenter for hipsters ... :evil:

There are not even close to the same amount, but they are making their way down 95 pretty quickly.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

There are not even close to the same amount, but they are making their way down 95 pretty quickly.

should be a quarantine dammit! ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

should be a quarantine dammit! ... :lol:

At one point it was called Williamsburgh. Now they are spreading.....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

shit ... i gotta admit i was there a few weeks ago ... but i'm blaming johnn abruzzo for that ... he sent me to some link on pies and thighs and my utter infatuation with fried chicken sent me there ... definitely hipsters all around ... but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ... haha
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

shit ... i gotta admit i was there a few weeks ago ... but i'm blaming johnn abruzzo for that ... he sent me to some link on pies and thighs and my utter infatuation with fried chicken sent me there ... definitely hipsters all around ... but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ... haha

haha, yeah, man. When he posted that I couldn't decide if it was worth it and the frustration.

What gets me about these hipsters is that they think they are so unique, but when in reality they spend so much time and money to look like every other hipster and have no personality.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can't stay away from that fried chicken.

Some hipster guy went off on me at the TV on the Radio concert earlier this year because we were blasting the performance of the opening band, Celebration. They completely didn't have their shit together, didn't know what songs they were playing, the female lead singer was bitching about lights, and then she stormed off the stage about halfway through their set. This guy goes "well this isn't U2 or Kings of Leon" (obviously judgmental since I was wearing a Led Zep hat). We just say we expect a somewhat more mature performance than that and leave us the fuck alone. He keeps going on about "respecting the music" and we say we can't respect completely mailing it in.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    haha, yeah, man. When he posted that I couldn't decide if it was worth it and the frustration.

What gets me about these hipsters is that they think they are so unique, but when in reality they spend so much time and money to look like every other hipster and have no personality.

the fried chicken was pretty good - sides not so much - density of hipsters = not worth going
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the fried chicken was pretty good - sides not so much - density of hipsters = not worth going

Noted, thank you sir. I will not be trying it. You ever make it to Yanks-Jays games when you are in New York?
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can't stay away from that fried chicken.

Some hipster guy went off on me at the TV on the Radio concert earlier this year because we were blasting the performance of the opening band, Celebration. They completely didn't have their shit together, didn't know what songs they were playing, the female lead singer was bitching about lights, and then she stormed off the stage about halfway through their set. This guy goes "well this isn't U2 or Kings of Leon" (obviously judgmental since I was wearing a Led Zep hat). We just say we expect a somewhat more mature performance than that and leave us the fuck alone. He keeps going on about "respecting the music" and we say we can't respect completely mailing it in.

Fuck them. Nerds
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Noted, thank you sir. I will not be trying it. You ever make it to Yanks-Jays games when you are in New York?

naw ... visiting with the gf ... she's not into baseball ... nor sports for that matter ... if she didn't have such a disdain for pop culture ... i'd call her a hipster ... hahaha
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

naw ... visiting with the gf ... she's not into baseball ... nor sports for that matter ... if she didn't have such a disdain for pop culture ... i'd call her a hipster ... hahaha

Makes sense, especially with the long distance thing. ha
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I disagree. I'd say it's close. Philly is the east cousin of Portland in that sense.
  • Poopelbon
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I disagree. I'd say it's close. Philly is the east cousin of Portland in that sense.

Eh, manhattan, yes, Brooklyn, no.
    A little anecdote, and I certainly don't condone beating the shit out of someone, but a couple of years ago a me and best friend of mine was at Drinker's in Rittenhouse drinking beers all night. I left early because I was the-room-is-spinning drunk and went home to pass out. Wellll, there was some hipster doofus there sporting tight home-made jean shorts, t-shirt, and a biker's hat with the brim flipped up(I know, right?). Well I guess this dude had a problem with my buddy because he wasn't a hipster douche and started talking shit to him, and at some point threw a drink at him. Well, my buddy took it and said whatever dude, but the guy went on and on, and nothing got to my friend(usually he's a little Irish spark plug that would fight Andre the Giant even though he knows he would lose).....but what DID get to him is when the douche sized up my buddy and said, "You yuppy. I bet you're not even from Philly." My boy got livid, said he was from Southwest and asked the douchebag where he was from....the dude said Florida. My buddy was infuriated, watched the dude get drunk, followed the douche home - which was near our place so it wasn't complete stalking - and proceeded to watch the guy start to take a piss in the middle of the street. Welp, my friend stepped in front of him and said, "who's from Philly now?" and right hooked the guy in the face knocking him out in the middle of the street.
  • A little anecdote, and I certainly don't condone beating the shit out of someone, but a couple of years ago a me and best friend of mine was at Drinker's in Rittenhouse drinking beers all night. I left early because I was the-room-is-spinning drunk and went home to pass out. Wellll, there was some hipster doofus there sporting tight home-made jean shorts, t-shirt, and a biker's hat with the brim flipped up(I know, right?). Well I guess this dude had a problem with my buddy because he wasn't a hipster douche and started talking shit to him, and at some point threw a drink at him. Well, my buddy took it and said whatever dude, but the guy went on and on, and nothing got to my friend(usually he's a little Irish spark plug that would fight Andre the Giant even though he knows he would lose).....but what DID get to him is when the douche sized up my buddy and said, "You yuppy. I bet you're not even from Philly." My boy got livid, said he was from Southwest and asked the douchebag where he was from....the dude said Florida. My buddy was infuriated, watched the dude get drunk, followed the douche home - which was near our place so it wasn't complete stalking - and proceeded to watch the guy start to take a piss in the middle of the street. Welp, my friend stepped in front of him and said, "who's from Philly now?" and right hooked the guy in the face knocking him out in the middle of the street.

Awesome. Yea this guy at the TVOTR show just would not go away. It's like - just let it go - nobody cares what you think.

From Florida - haha. :roll: What a loser.

Where in SW is your boy from? I grew up at 62nd & Buist. The Havertown kids make me laugh - some of them think they're kind of ghetto. :lol: SW was full of white thugs in my day.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    A little anecdote, and I certainly don't condone beating the shit out of someone, but a couple of years ago a me and best friend of mine was at Drinker's in Rittenhouse drinking beers all night. I left early because I was the-room-is-spinning drunk and went home to pass out. Wellll, there was some hipster doofus there sporting tight home-made jean shorts, t-shirt, and a biker's hat with the brim flipped up(I know, right?). Well I guess this dude had a problem with my buddy because he wasn't a hipster douche and started talking shit to him, and at some point threw a drink at him. Well, my buddy took it and said whatever dude, but the guy went on and on, and nothing got to my friend(usually he's a little Irish spark plug that would fight Andre the Giant even though he knows he would lose).....but what DID get to him is when the douche sized up my buddy and said, "You yuppy. I bet you're not even from Philly." My boy got livid, said he was from Southwest and asked the douchebag where he was from....the dude said Florida. My buddy was infuriated, watched the dude get drunk, followed the douche home - which was near our place so it wasn't complete stalking - and proceeded to watch the guy start to take a piss in the middle of the street. Welp, my friend stepped in front of him and said, "who's from Philly now?" and right hooked the guy in the face knocking him out in the middle of the street.
    "The De Facto All Things Philly Thread" :lol: :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Awesome. Yea this guy at the TVOTR show just would not go away. It's like - just let it go - nobody cares what you think.

From Florida - haha. :roll: What a loser.

Where in SW is your boy from? I grew up at 62nd & Buist. The Havertown kids make me laugh - some of them think they're kind of ghetto. :lol: SW was full of white thugs in my day.

He moved out I think when he was like 13 or 14. I think they were around 66th and Dicks. I think he went to St. Barnabus for grade school if that is the right parish around there.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    what's that about ladies frames?
    www.myspace.com
    what's that about ladies frames?

May I have one of those, madam? Shit, am I watching a terrible movie on Netflix - 'Middle Men'. Absolutely terrible. Actually, turning this off nnnnnnnnn.......now.
    Figured Jimmy would get done right after Cuddyer.

3 yr/33m with a vesting 4th year. Nice job, Amaro.
  • Figured Jimmy would get done right after Cuddyer.

3-4yrs of half assing it to 1st while swinging at many first pitch high fastballs.
    Go Birds!!!!

3-4yrs of half assing it to 1st while swinging at many first pitch high fastballs.

No shit, but he's not costing them a shit load and there was no other moves to make.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798

No shit, but he's not costing them a shit load and there was no other moves to make.

i'm content with this move
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    This is on my mind. I think it will suck in the short-term but the only decent move for the Phils to get exponentially better offensively is to trade Hamels. As much as I'd hate it, I think it's necessary. How do you lock up another long-term arm and burden your salary constraints with a number as high as Hamels's will be? I don't think you can do that and think you're going to get younger and more talented on the offensive side of the ball.

Someone take the bait. I'm bored.

Yeah, I said I was all for exploring trade options for him.

This team is going into 2012 with the same lineup that failed miserably in the playoffs the last two seasons. Since everyone is a year older, they are probably worse than the last two years. Gonna be really difficult for this team to win it all with this offense. Just not good enough. I wish amaro would realize this.

I would hate to see hamels leave, but I think trading him makes a ton of sense.
This discussion has been closed.