***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know man, I disagree. Philly is a huge boxing city and he's the best they have ever had.

We all miss the Tyson days. That's like saying someone misses the Ali days. Tyson is up there for me as one of my favorite athletes ever. Dude was incredible.

Who's gives a shit about boxing being cool? There are many shitty fights these days but it's still an incredible sport.

sorry i just don't find the sport nearly as interesting (hopefully that's a better word for you) as it used to be. i know a lot of people feel the same way.

and, sure, philly has apparently always been a big boxing town. but the people around here, as a whole, have never embraced bernard hopkins. his weird one-sided feud with donvovan mcnabb (that he's continued even after mcnabb left town) certainly hasn't helped his popularity.

obviously we're only a few people but in this "all things philly" thread, i don't think anybody has ever brought him up.
    www.myspace.com
  • I like boxing but haven't watched in years. Definitely not dropping $60 or whatever for some shady match.

Who the hell is the, you know, champion?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't know man, I disagree. Philly is a huge boxing city and he's the best they have ever had.

We all miss the Tyson days. That's like saying someone misses the Ali days. Tyson is up there for me as one of my favorite athletes ever. Dude was incredible.

Who's gives a shit about boxing being cool? There are many shitty fights these days but it's still an incredible sport.

sorry i just don't find the sport nearly as interesting (hopefully that's a better word for you) as it used to be. i know a lot of people feel the same way.

and, sure, philly has apparently always been a big boxing town. but the people around here, as a whole, have never embraced bernard hopkins. his weird one-sided feud with donvovan mcnabb (that he's continued even after mcnabb left town) certainly hasn't helped his popularity.

obviously we're only a few people but in this "all things philly" thread, i don't think anybody has ever brought him up.

I hear you, I love it though. Doesn't help that the best boxer in the world isn't American and the second best is an asshole and they won't fight each other.

I guess. I never liked him but I have a hard time believing that in his prime, he wasn't a big deal around here. Dude is one of the best boxers ever in a big boxing city. You obviously know more than me and have been around here longer, I just find it hard to believe.
    I like boxing but haven't watched in years. Definitely not dropping $60 or whatever for some shady match.

Who the hell is the, you know, champion?

No doubt. I wouldn't drop that on last nights fight, was just curious about what happened. Sounded bizarre. I do on all of the big fights though.

Haha. Too many belts. Definitely one of the problems with the sport.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you, I love it though. Doesn't help that the best boxer in the world isn't American and the second best is an asshole and they won't fight each other.

I guess. I never liked him but I have a hard time believing that in his prime, he wasn't a big deal around here. Dude is one of the best boxers ever in a big boxing city. You obviously know more than me and have been around here longer, I just find it hard to believe.

didn't the blue horizon close?

i think philly used to be a big boxing town. i don't see how it is now...admittedly, i could be completely oblivious though. i just rarely hear people talking about the sport anymore.
    www.myspace.com
  • I always mean to go to the Blue Horizon, and have never been there.

God this Brewers-Cards series is awful. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The Brewers have played so poorly it hurts. I really think that a Phillies-Brewers series would have brought a better brand of ball out than this. Oh well. I did advance to the finals of my drinking league tonight after the Cowboys sucked, and in the midst of this debacle something good for me emerged.
  • RW81233 wrote:
    The Brewers have played so poorly it hurts. I really think that a Phillies-Brewers series would have brought a better brand of ball out than this. Oh well. I did advance to the finals of my drinking league tonight after the Cowboys sucked, and in the midst of this debacle something good for me emerged.

That series set the National League back about 15 years. Let me get this straight - the Cardinals won the NLCS in 6 games with not a single starting pitcher lasting 5 innings?

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The Rangers did something similar...I think one guy went 6.
    RW81233 wrote:

should be a great world series.
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    RW81233 wrote:

really? or did forget one of these: :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

really? or did forget one of these: :roll:

Yea, the irony is dripping all over that post.

I thought last year would be shitty and a blowout. Just got the team doing the blowing out wrong.

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited October 2011
    pjhawks wrote:
    today's Inquirer mentioned that Chase Utley had the 2nd lowest percentage of line drives of any player in the majors this year with 300 or more at-bats. not good. can't believe our sabermaticians here haven't brought that one up. i guess when it's the golden boy no one mentions it.

why is that not good? all that shows is that he was unlucky. I'd be curious to know what his BABIP was (you can look that up to see what it means).

As usual your post has no point. I hope you're not trying to rip utley. If so that was a futile (not to mention misguided) attempt.

you should be focusing on the players on this team that suck. like your boy ryan howard. who you somehow continue to defend :roll:
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

give ryne sandberg the manager job before another team hires him away
    don't understand why cubs/phillies fans think this would be such a great hire....other than sentimental reasons.

anything is better than manuel. sandberg has done well with the phils AAA team (which has had next to no MLB talent since he's been there).

He has received positive reviews as a manager (from what I've read on BA and other sites).
    Like to give a congrats to the towson tigers for improving their record to 5-1. Now ranked 13th in FCS and should be headed to the playoffs for the first time in a long time. Crazy comeback on Saturday (down 11 with 3 minutes left). Good shit...hopefully their coach will hang around for a while before moving on to the FBS.
    Guy the phils hired to take lamont's spot was in the oriole organization for the last 5 years (he oversaw their drafts). Hopefully he didn't have anything to do with player development. The O's have become known for having top prospects (especially pitchers) flame out.

Color me skeptical on this one
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    today's Inquirer mentioned that Chase Utley had the 2nd lowest percentage of line drives of any player in the majors this year with 300 or more at-bats. not good. can't believe our sabermaticians here haven't brought that one up. i guess when it's the golden boy no one mentions it.

why is that not good? all that shows is that he was unlucky. I'd be curious to know what his BABIP was (you can look that up to see what it means).

As usual your post has no point. I hope you're not trying to rip utley. If so that was a futile (not to mention misguided) attempt.

you should be focusing on the players on this team that suck. like your boy ryan howard. who you somehow continue to defend :roll:

edit: it didn't say line drive hits, it said line drives - maybe that wasn't clear when you were making your point.

are you serious with this? a guy who was a flat out line drive hitting machine better than anyone we've ever had at hitting line drives who no longer hits line drives has no baring or no point? really? the point is that the guy has become a .270 singles hitter (at $20 million next year). and even Amaro admitted in his post season press conference that he is not sure Chase will ever be healthly again. shouldn't you be concerned that a guy with a bad knee who doesn't hit line drives anymore might be close to be washed up? do you think he will ever be close to where he was even 3 years ago? i'd love to hear your thoughts on his upside over the next 2 years (at his $20 million per).

oh yeah michael young ended up having a damn good year. i remember you saying he was no good and not worth his money.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

edit: it didn't say line drive hits, it said line drives - maybe that wasn't clear when you were making your point.

are you serious with this? a guy who was a flat out line drive hitting machine better than anyone we've ever had at hitting line drives who no longer hits line drives has no baring or no point? really? the point is that the guy has become a .270 singles hitter (at $20 million next year). and even Amaro admitted in his post season press conference that he is not sure Chase will ever be healthly again. shouldn't you be concerned that a guy with a bad knee who doesn't hit line drives anymore might be close to be washed up? do you think he will ever be close to where he was even 3 years ago? i'd love to hear your thoughts on his upside over the next 2 years (at his $20 million per).

oh yeah michael young ended up having a damn good year. i remember you saying he was no good and not worth his money.

ah, definitely misunderstood what you were saying. my bad.

utley has regressed...no doubt. he's probably somewhat overpaid at this point in his career. He's still their best position player though. unlike the waste of space at first, he can help a team in numerous ways (defense, baserunning, etc).

his health is a concern for sure. no one could see a chronic knee problem coming though. his contract had value for the phils when he signed it. unlike howard, they locked utley up through his prime. I believe he will be 34 or 35 when his deal ends. I think howard will be 38, which is just plain stupid.

michael young had a good year. he still has 2 or 3 years left on his deal though (and he's not cheap). the phils have enough overpaid old guys. he wasn't a good fit with this team before the year and he's still not a good fit (unless they are willing to eat placido feliz's final year...there's another classic amaro overpay)

this team has really blown it the last two seasons. it's gonna be next to impossible for them to field teams better than they had the last 2 seasons. Fucking depressing
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:
    "ah, definitely misunderstood what you were saying. my bad.

utley has regressed...no doubt. he's probably somewhat overpaid at this point in his career. He's still their best position player though. unlike the waste of space at first, he can help a team in numerous ways (defense, baserunning, etc).

his health is a concern for sure. no one could see a chronic knee problem coming though. his contract had value for the phils when he signed it. unlike howard, they locked utley up through his prime. I believe he will be 34 or 35 when his deal ends. I think howard will be 38, which is just plain stupid.

michael young had a good year. he still has 2 or 3 years left on his deal though (and he's not cheap). the phils have enough overpaid old guys. he wasn't a good fit with this team before the year and he's still not a good fit (unless they are willing to eat placido feliz's final year...there's another classic amaro overpay)

this team has really blown it the last two seasons. it's gonna be next to impossible for them to field teams better than they had the last 2 seasons. Fucking depressing

watching the cards-brewers series and their shitty pitching was depressing.

and as i said after the season get younger where you can (shortstop, left field, maybe even 3rd) and hopefully get hot come playoff time next year.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    "ah, definitely misunderstood what you were saying. my bad.

watching the cards-brewers series and their shitty pitching was depressing.

and as i said after the season get younger where you can (shortstop, left field, maybe even 3rd) and hopefully get hot come playoff time next year.

yeah, I have barely even watched the playoffs since the phils season ended. I hope texas sweeps STL and looks dominant. That might make me feel better for a minute or two.

Will be an interesting offseason to say the least. I still find it hilarious that amaro called out manuel after the season ended, saying the phils needed to change their entire offensive approach. You would think that would be obvious after 2010 (have I mentioned that I think manuel is a dumb ass??)

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. I'm still so bitter
    Didn't get through this whole article, too many words on the Phillies for me, seems like it makes sense though. I did get to this paragraph which is fantastic.

Saying that the Phillies need to get younger is like saying Congress needs to get busier. The House is not going to start churning out bi-partisan legislation simply because we replace John Boehner with Gunnery Sergeant Hartman and Nancy Pelosi with the pill-popping mother from Requiem for a Dream. All we would get is a narcisistic man yelling at the top of his lungs and a hopped up woman living in a paranoid dream world. In other words, we would get cable news.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... z1bM8Ckwdb
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Beat quote in pj20..."wow, our guy sings really fucking good too"

after the spectrum alive at the end i'm so amped up i wanna run through a wall
    www.myspace.com
    I want this guys life.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20111 ... =131298059

Dude is searching for pirate treasure. That's awesome.

HAHAH

"If it weren't for Sir Francis Drake, we might all be speaking Spanish," Croce said. "He was the ultimate pirate, bro. I love this guy."
    no surprise here.

Phillies decline options on two veterans:
    PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies have declined the 2012 options for pitchers Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge.

Oswalt gets a $2 million buyout instead of $16 million next season. Lidge receives a $1.5 million buyout instead of $12.5 million next year.

Oswalt was 9-10 with a 3.69 ERA in 23 starts for the Phillies this past season. The three-time All-Star right-hander was acquired in a trade with Houston on July 29, 2010. He was 16-11 with a 2.96 ERA in 35 starts for Philadelphia.

Lidge went 0-2 with one save and a 1.40 ERA in 25 appearances for the Phillies in 2011. In four seasons with Philadelphia, Lidge was 3-11 with 100 saves and a 3.73 ERA. He was 1-1 with 12 saves in 12 opportunities and a 1.77 ERA in the postseason.

Lidge was 48 for 48 in save chances, including postseason, in helping the Phillies win the 2008 World Series.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the team will consider re-signing both players. The five-time defending NL East champions lost to St. Louis in five games in the division round
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Faithfull Ale is damn good!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!

nice
    i've only heard (read) good things about it.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Like to give a congrats to the towson tigers for improving their record to 5-1. Now ranked 13th in FCS and should be headed to the playoffs for the first time in a long time. Crazy comeback on Saturday (down 11 with 3 minutes left). Good shit...hopefully their coach will hang around for a while before moving on to the FBS.

6-1. Rolling
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

nice
    jamminpearls » 24 Oct 2011 19:56
    Enjoying some Faithfull Ale as i type. It's alot lighter and smoother then i would have thought. It's deff one of the less harsh dogfish beers i've had,and i've had just about all of them. I'm not really tasting any strong notes,it might be the most normal Dogfish beer made besides lawnmower. I'd give it a B+ and i'm looking forward to enjoying many more :D
    I posted this in the thread of the porch.
    Go Birds!!!!
    no surprise here.

Phillies decline options on two veterans:
    PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies have declined the 2012 options for pitchers Roy Oswalt and Brad Lidge.

Oswalt gets a $2 million buyout instead of $16 million next season. Lidge receives a $1.5 million buyout instead of $12.5 million next year.

Oswalt was 9-10 with a 3.69 ERA in 23 starts for the Phillies this past season. The three-time All-Star right-hander was acquired in a trade with Houston on July 29, 2010. He was 16-11 with a 2.96 ERA in 35 starts for Philadelphia.

Lidge went 0-2 with one save and a 1.40 ERA in 25 appearances for the Phillies in 2011. In four seasons with Philadelphia, Lidge was 3-11 with 100 saves and a 3.73 ERA. He was 1-1 with 12 saves in 12 opportunities and a 1.77 ERA in the postseason.

Lidge was 48 for 48 in save chances, including postseason, in helping the Phillies win the 2008 World Series.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said the team will consider re-signing both players. The five-time defending NL East champions lost to St. Louis in five games in the division round

good riddance oswalt. Thanks for nothing

nice
    jamminpearls » 24 Oct 2011 19:56
    Enjoying some Faithfull Ale as i type. It's alot lighter and smoother then i would have thought. It's deff one of the less harsh dogfish beers i've had,and i've had just about all of them. I'm not really tasting any strong notes,it might be the most normal Dogfish beer made besides lawnmower. I'd give it a B+ and i'm looking forward to enjoying many more :D
    I posted this in the thread of the porch.

that sounds delicious.

i've been trying to cut down the alcohol consumption lately (hasn't been working). guess that plan will be put on hold even further.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.