***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, Lee would have been on regular rest for game 5. if victorino makes the play in game 2 we are probably talking about phils/brewers right now (like howard, he has had some huge mishaps in the last 3 playoff series that they have lost...he was brutal in the 09 WS and he dropped that ball in game 6 last year). halladay/jackson is as big of a mismatch as you will get in a playoff game.

plenty of mistakes to go around. pence running with howard up was beyond stupid, but thats charlie maneul for you.

oswalt wasn't good in game 4. all it takes is one bad inning...especially in the playoffs. he should have never been out there to begin with.

well ... obviously hindsight is 20/20 ... and i don't think all things considered pitching oswalt in game 4 was a bad decision ... at the end of the day, it was most definitely the bats that were a problem ... all the individual plays are a function of that ... when you aren't scoring runs - people try to do too much on the basepaths and your defense gets a bit tighter ...

polaris---you're way too rational for this thread.

polaris, what do you think of ryan howard as a player

this will decide how rational you are
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:

hahaha

i think every player these days has to be judged by their salary ... and howard is definitely not worth the money ... i also don't think he is a 4 hole hitter ... strikes out way too much ... but then again, i wouldn't have rollins leading off either ... i would have victorino leading off ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

hahaha

i think every player these days has to be judged by their salary ... and howard is definitely not worth the money ... i also don't think he is a 4 hole hitter ... strikes out way too much ... but then again, i wouldn't have rollins leading off either ... i would have victorino leading off ...

fair and rational. you don't belong in this thread :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

hahaha

:lol::lol:

this thread is epic tho ... philly fans have to be the most neurotic ... it's great!
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

hahaha

you passed the test...nice work

that contract is exhibit A in how not to negotiate a deal from a team perspective.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

hahaha

No please stay polaris.... I might come hang out a little more often :D
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    :lol:

you guys don't know how lucky you are ... 4 teams that make the playoffs (i think the eagles will still make the playoffs) ... with 2 good chances to have parades every year ... outside of boston ... don't know what other town can say that ...

definitely not toronto ... :(
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    polaris_x wrote:

you guys don't know how lucky you are ... 4 teams that make the playoffs (i think the eagles will still make the playoffs) ... with 2 good chances to have parades every year ... outside of boston ... don't know what other town can say that ...

Yeah but Toronto is an awesome city. :thumbup:
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    polaris_x wrote:

Uh-Oh..a Maple leafs fan ?!?!

Beat it !!!

Just kidding..join the Flyers thread a lot more level headed discussions over there

(sometimes)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    chromiam wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Yeah but Toronto is an awesome city. :thumbup:

yeah ... i like it here ... plus between here and Buffalo ... we get about as much PJ as any other town ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited October 2011
    polaris_x wrote:

eeeeeeeeeexactly.

people who cannot appreciate this are crazy
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com

Beat it !!!

Just kidding..join the Flyers thread a lot more level headed discussions over there

(sometimes)

i'm in there ... haha ...
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    polaris_x wrote:

eeeeeeeeeexactly.

people who cannot appreciate this are crazy

Phillie Phanatic has been found..

417857872.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    have the juggler and fixer ever broken bread? :?

beers would be on me to hang out with you two :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x wrote:

Beat it !!!

(sometimes)

now that carter is gone and they have a goalie even I have nothing to bitch about.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    imalive wrote:

I'll pick up the dinner.

Would be a great time!
    #FHP
    imalive wrote:

he's one of the few in this thread I haven't gotten bombed with. he's used my phils tix and I've used his eagles tix though.

I love debating sports. I dont mind if someone disagrees with me as long as they know what they're talking about (saying ryan howard is good does not meet this criteria)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Horos wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I'll pick up the dinner.

Would be a great time!
    hopefully....unless they came to blows :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    More great news in what has become the worst sports week in philly since the flyers choked away a 3-1 series lead in the 2000 ECF

Anthony Gose flashing star potential
    October, 8, 2011Oct 81:18PM ETEmailPrintComments15
    Toronto Blue Jays centerfielder Anthony Gose took a major step forward this year with his performance in AA at age 20, showing patience and a little more pop, with a strong .254/.358/.444 line against right-handed pitchers. He does need to improve against southpaws, and his line was boosted by a good home park (especially for left-handed hitters), but given his athleticism and other tools, the hitting line and the improvements in his swing that caused it are really promising.

The Blue Jays had tried to get Gose in the Halladay deal, recognizing that he had tremendous athleticism but no polish to his game, and after acquiring him last summer they spent the offseason working with him on finding more consistent, simpler swing mechanics. Out of high school, Gose started with a wide stance and drifted onto his front foot, almost without purpose, then generated most of the power in his swing with his hands, throwing the bat head at the ball with an inconsistent swing path and finish. Now, he's starting with a narrower base, striding forward to get his swing started, keeping his weight back longer and his back more stable, letting him drive through the ball and generate some power from his hips and legs while maintaining a much more consistent swing.

Gose is a 70 runner with a 70 arm (although the one game throw I saw was more of a 60, if you want to nit-pick) who should have plenty of range for centerfield, so the offensive baseline for him to be an average everyday player in the majors is pretty low. He still has a lot of improvements ahead of him to become a star but I am very optimistic about him reaching that. When the Jays traded Brett Wallace to Houston for Gose two summers ago, I didn't understand the deal, as Wallace was a polished, disciplined hitter while Gose was all tools but didn't have great performances or advanced mechanics. Wallace, it turns out, had a fatal flaw that was exposed in AAA and now in the majors -- he cannot turn on inside pitches, so he tries to go to the opposite field instead; with minimal defensive value and no apparent way to fix that flaw, he was expendable for the Jays. Gose, meanwhile, is no longer a tools goof but the kind of high-upside prospect Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos has said all along that he wants in the organization. Gose still needs work in some areas, including developing a viable two-strike approach, but the risk the Blue Jays took in acquiring him appears to be paying off in a huge way.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    I knew it would get good in here today.
    Cliffy, the Yanks still had a significantly higher payroll than the Phillies so I don't see how you can "rub it in". :?

Expectations, payroll or not. We didn't see it as a foregone conclusion that there would be a parade down the canyon of heroes all year.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy, the Yanks still had a significantly higher payroll than the Phillies so I don't see how you can "rub it in". :?

Expectations, payroll or not. We didn't see it as a foregone conclusion that there would be a parade down the canyon of heroes all year.

Whatever makes you feel better.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm over it. Enjoyed it for 24 hours or so. Enjoying the thread today though.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Besides Rollins,Utley and Doc the whole team sucked ass. It was a good season that ended way too early. If a fan of this team didn't enjoy the regular season then there not really a fan of that team. The ultimate goal wasn't reached and that can be blamed on the WHOLE TEAM. Oh and Vance worley sucking was another wrong statement.
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited October 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm over it. Enjoyed it for 24 hours or so. Enjoying the thread today though.

just remember cliff, as long as the team does well in the regular season and makes the playoffs that's all that matters. most in this thread don't need to even watch the postseason since playoff success is gravy

and expecting the team with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB, who is favored to win it all, to get to the WS is irrational and pompous...even if some here were talking shit about this team all season.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Besides Rollins,Utley and Doc the whole team sucked ass. It was a good season that ended way too early. If a fan of this team didn't enjoy the regular season then there not really a fan of that team. The ultimate goal wasn't reached and that can be blamed on the WHOLE TEAM. Oh and Vance worley sucking was another wrong statement.

ah look, it's mr ryan howard himsself. was wondering if you would appear back here again. you should be on probation in this thread until your boy's contract is up. see you in 5 years
    The Fixer wrote:

just remember cliff, as long as the team does well in the regular season and makes the playoffs that's all that matters. most in this thread don't need to even watch the postseason since playoff success is gravy

and expecting the team with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB, who is favored to win it all, to win the WS is irrational and pompous...even if some here were talking shit about this team all season.

That was my point yesterday or whenever. I was under the impression it was a cake walk to lifting the trophy, now no one gives a shit.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    edited October 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

and expecting the team with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB, who is favored to win it all, to get to the WS is irrational and pompous...even if some here were talking shit about this team all season.

dude should we have expected a world series title or did the team suck and you aren't surprised they lost? you've been jerking yourself because you predicted a flame out but now you say you expected a world series title? which is it???
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ah look, it's mr ryan howard himsself. was wondering if you would appear back here again. you should be on probation in this thread until your boy's contract is up. see you in 5 years
    As i've said before i like Howard even though he's over paid. I've never said he wasn't overpaid,i said that he's been extremely productive.
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

dude should we have expected a world series title or did the team suck and you aren't surprised they lost? you've been jerking yourself because you predicted a flame out but now you say you expected a world series title? which is it???

I expected them to get there. They were favored to win it all. In vegas they don't know how bad ryan howard is
This discussion has been closed.