***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    7 years old. i knew it!

have you washed the tears from your eyes yet? :lol: the sun will rise another day fixer

rather than this nonsense, let's talk about next year. what would you do to improve the team?

I can't wait to hear this

also, it's OK to admit you're wrong

i haven't even thought about next year yet. depends on how long howard will be out.

what exactly was i wrong about? i predicted 95 wins and that they'd get to the world series. seems reasonable to me. terribly sorry that i enjoyed their season. :?

what were you right about? the phillies having an easy time with the cardinals? the braves being in first place by memorial day? the phillies struggling to win 90 games? ben francisco being a competent every day right fielder? milton bradley being a good pickup for the phils? antonio bastardo sucking? chase utley not having much of an effect on the offiense when healthy? the list goes on and on and on and on dude. this is just off the very top of my head too. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I hear you man. I'm 50/50 on the rollins thing. The main reason they lost in the playoffs was offense. Replacing rollins bat in the lineup with galvis is a significant downgrade. Where do you replace that offense (with no positions other than LF opening up...and their only MLB ready position prospect plays that position so they aren't signing a FA)?? If they want to make one more run with this team, they probably should sign rollins. But that will probably prohibit them from from making moves going forward. Definitely a tough one. The thing that bothers me most about the phillies is that I feel, more than other teams in this city anyway, that they become attached to homegrown players. I will be surprised if they don't bring rollins back. there are rumors that the giants will be going after him hard (he's from the bay area and they are desperate for a SS)...he's gonna have some options on where he can go

i think adding youth and speed would be an upgrade though. this team only scores with 3 hits or a long ball. that has to change. for a guy who loves on-base percentage i'm surprised that you would consider bring jimmy back. i think short and left field next year requires youth and speed if they can be found somewhere. sad that the braves got him but michael bourn would be perfect for this team.

as much as rollins drives me crazy with his terrible ABs and inability to work pitchers (this is true for everyone other than utley and sometimes chooch...rollins is the poster boy though), he brings value with his defense and leadership. Like I said, I'm on the fence. Other than Jose Reyes I don't know what other SSs are out there this offseason
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I hear you man. I'm 50/50 on the rollins thing. The main reason they lost in the playoffs was offense. Replacing rollins bat in the lineup with galvis is a significant downgrade. Where do you replace that offense (with no positions other than LF opening up...and their only MLB ready position prospect plays that position so they aren't signing a FA)?? If they want to make one more run with this team, they probably should sign rollins. But that will probably prohibit them from from making moves going forward. Definitely a tough one. The thing that bothers me most about the phillies is that I feel, more than other teams in this city anyway, that they become attached to homegrown players. I will be surprised if they don't bring rollins back. there are rumors that the giants will be going after him hard (he's from the bay area and they are desperate for a SS)...he's gonna have some options on where he can go

i think adding youth and speed would be an upgrade though. this team only scores with 3 hits or a long ball. that has to change. for a guy who loves on-base percentage i'm surprised that you would consider bring jimmy back. i think short and left field next year requires youth and speed if they can be found somewhere. sad that the braves got him but michael bourn would be perfect for this team.

as much as rollins drives me crazy with his terrible ABs and inability to work pitchers (this is true for everyone other than utley and sometimes chooch...rollins is the poster boy though), he brings value with his defense and leadership. Like I said, I'm on the fence. Other than Jose Reyes I don't know what other SSs are out there this offseason

Reyes is interesting. it won't happen because the dollars he will command and his attitude, but his game would be incredible for this team. talent wise the guy is an absolute stud. as i said i'd love a michael bourn-type. not sure who will be out there though.
  • what were you right about? the phillies having an easy time with the cardinals? the braves being in first place by memorial day? the phillies struggling to win 90 games? ben francisco being a competent every day right fielder? milton bradley being a good pickup for the phils? antonio bastardo sucking? chase utley not having much of an effect on the offiense when healthy? the list goes on and on and on and on dude. this is just off the very top of my head too. :lol:

Awesome post! :lol:

Next year this team needs some offensive depth. Polanco needs to become a platoon player. Getting Ibanez out of the lineup will help - addition by subtraction.

Bullpen: let Dog walk and let the young guys take care of it. Plenty of bullpen prospects in the upper levels, so just see who steps up and takes the job.

Oswalt: see ya. Go operate some more heavy machinery or whatever you like to do and get lost. Thanks for nothing.

Sign Hamels to an extension already.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    7 years old. i knew it!

have you washed the tears from your eyes yet? :lol: the sun will rise another day fixer

rather than this nonsense, let's talk about next year. what would you do to improve the team?

I can't wait to hear this

also, it's OK to admit you're wrong

i haven't even thought about next year yet. depends on how long howard will be out.

what exactly was i wrong about? i predicted 95 wins and that they'd get to the world series. seems reasonable to me. terribly sorry that i enjoyed their season. :?

what were you right about? the phillies having an easy time with the cardinals? the braves being in first place by memorial day? the phillies struggling to win 90 games? ben francisco being a competent every day right fielder? milton bradley being a good pickup for the phils? antonio bastardo sucking? chase utley not having much of an effect on the offiense when healthy? the list goes on and on and on and on dude. this is just off the very top of my head too. :lol:

half of that shit was said in jest . and I said utley would end up being out for the year and that they'd win 93. bradley couldn't have been any worse than ibanez.

I said the lineup, bullpen, and manager all sucked. I also said that stutes and bastardo would break down because the dummy manager was using them recklessly. And that ryan howard sucks ass. And that this team was going to have a tough time winning it all. Sure I thought they would breeze through the cards, but who didn't (again, -360 for the series!!!!!!!). Even I thought the flawed lineup would be able to beat guys like kyle lohse, ed jackson, and jaime garcia

my thing is that everyone here but me (and johnny early in the year when he agreed with me that their lineup sucked) slurped this team all year and just expected them to waltz into the WS (which they should have done). They choked and now everyone acts like it's not a big deal, which I find bewildering.

Bust my balls for not enjoying the season as much as everyone else. That's fine. Kind of ironic that I'm the only one that even half expected this team to fall short of their goal and I'm the one that seems most bothered by the outcome.

now, let's move on and focus on next year. would you bring oswalt back? what minor leaugers would you like to see compete for jobs in spring training? would you bring rollins/madson back? what relievers would you target as free agents? do you see anyone on the roster as tradable commoditites? or are you just going to wait to see how it all plays out then do your cheerleading routine all over again next year?
    edited October 2011
    half of that was said in "jest?" riiiiiight. :lol:

you've spent the last 6 months arguing that shit. now it was all in "jest?" that is sooo convenient :) :thumbup:

guess we need a "jest" detector for all of fixer's posts now
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fixer ... what i don't get it is ...

if you were consistently down on this team - then why is it such a shock to you they didn't win!??
    polaris_x wrote:

if you were consistently down on this team - then why is it such a shock to you they didn't win!??

he is quite the enigma.
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:

because the team they played stinks. I thought they would get to the WS and lose. The NL playoff teams are pure and utter garbage

seriously, they couldn't beat edwin jackson
    edited October 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    I thought they would get to the WS and lose.
    The NL playoff teams are pure and utter garbage

so your expectations actually were about what we all expected.

why, then, pull the old "i told you so" routine? it is pretty fucking childish dude.

by the way--another of your arguments this year was how improved the nl was :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

because the team they played stinks. I thought they would get to the WS and lose. The NL playoff teams are pure and utter garbage

Who told everyone the Cardinals were a dangerous threat in the first round??? I don't give a shit what the Vegas odds were. Of course, now they will roll over for the Brewers.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    half of that was said in "jest?" riiiiiight. :lol:

you've spent the last 6 months arguing that shit. now it was all in "jest?" that is sooo convenient :) :thumbup:

guess we need a "jest" detector for all of fixer's posts now

Show me which of those things I argued for 6 months.

Only things I continuously complained about this year...

1 - your boy ryan howard...who flat out sucks
    2 - the manager is an idiot
    3 - the lineup wasn't good enough (I said 'same lineup as the one that choked in 2010, I don't know why people are so confident it won't happen again this year...especially with all of the players being a year older' about 274,2t0 times
    4 - one competent reliever wasn't going to cut it in playoffs (admittedly this was not the reason they lost, but if they would have advanced it would have been a problem. this was evidenced by madson being called on to save a game in the 8th inning for the first time all year)

but at least they made the playoffs
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    I thought they would get to the WS and lose.
    The NL playoff teams are pure and utter garbage

why, then, pull the old "i told you so" routine? it is pretty fucking childish dude.

by the way--another of your arguments this year was how improved the nl was :lol:

because I was right about all the things I complained about (lineup, offense, bullpen, mostly ryan howard)
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Who told everyone the Cardinals were a dangerous threat in the first round??? I don't give a shit what the Vegas odds were. Of course, now they will roll over for the Brewers.

Yeah, you were right there. I didn't think it would matter. Then again I thought dipshit would have been intelligent enough to go to a 3 man rotation in a close series.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

because I was right about all the things I complained about (lineup, offense, bullpen, mostly ryan howard)

"because i was right" :lol: what a baby.

dude. despite all the things you were "right" about and all the things you were wrong about (which were all obviously said in jest :roll: ) we all had the same ultimate expectation: a trip to the world series. we were all ultimately wrong. shit happens. quit your crying. move on.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

soo ... really, what it boils down to is this ... your self admitted flawed team couldn't beat a team you thought was significantly worse?

fair enough i guess ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

soo ... really, what it boils down to is this ... your self admitted flawed team couldn't beat a team you thought was significantly worse?

fair enough i guess ...

yes. the phils were by far the best team in the NL...just not as good as most everyone in this city thought.

dude. despite all the things you were "right" about and all the things you were wrong about (which were all obviously said in jest :roll: ) we all had the same ultimate expectation: a trip to the world series. we were all ultimately wrong. shit happens. quit your crying. move on.

it's ok to admit you're wrong once in a while dude. you should try it.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Yeah, you were right there. I didn't think it would matter. Then again I thought dipshit would have been intelligent enough to go to a 3 man rotation in a close series.

that means you are going with a 3 man rotation period ... there is no close series or not ... if there is a game 4 ... it's obviously 2-1 for a certain team ...

in any case - what happens if you advance? ... you would have pitched your top 2 pitchers twice ...
    edited October 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

what part of "we were all ultimately wrong" don't you comprehend? i literally said that in the post you replied to. even underlined it :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

that means you are going with a 3 man rotation period ... there is no close series or not ... if there is a game 4 ... it's obviously 2-1 for a certain team ...

in any case - what happens if you advance? ... you would have pitched your top 2 pitchers twice ...

like you guys mentioned, a 5 game series is unpredictable. I would have thrown halladay on short rest for game 4, then had lee on regular rest for a game 5. make them beat your three best pitchers if you're going to lose. but that's just common sense talking. and everyone here disagreed with me on that as well.

you worry about the 7 game series when you get there. with the new format (less off days), you have to use four starters
    The Fixer wrote:

what part of "we were all ultimately wrong" don't you comprehend? i literally said that in the post you replied to. even underlined it :lol:

I was wrong about them beating STL. absolutely. I thought they would win without issue. You on the other hand have been pimping this team all year like they are the '27 yanks, while I was much more grounded in my analysis.

and for the record, my preseason prediction was that this team would lose in round 1. fixer is right again
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I was wrong about them beating STL. absolutely. I thought they would win without issue. You on the other hand have been pimping this team all year like they are the '27 yanks, while I was much more grounded in my analysis.

and for the record, my preseason prediction was that this team would lose in round 1. fixer is right again

i like baseball. i enjoyed winning 102 games for the first time. sorry :wave:

i thought they'd get to the world series as did you and about everyone else in the world.

like i said, shit happens. time to move on, my friend.
    www.myspace.com

time to move on, my friend.

this is the only thing we agree on.

looks like I'll be into the flyers a lot earlier than usual this year
    The Fixer wrote:
    [like you guys mentioned, a 5 game series is unpredictable. I would have thrown halladay on short rest for game 4, then had lee on regular rest for a game 5. make them beat your three best pitchers if you're going to lose. but that's just common sense talking. and everyone here disagreed with me on that as well.

you worry about the 7 game series when you get there. with the new format (less off days), you have to use four starters

but there are pros and cons to that ... pitching halladay on short rest isn't going to guarantee a win ... if he loses ... who do you have for the elimination game? ... lee? ... dude got hit pretty good in game 2 ...

oswalt didn't pitch that bad ... he gave up 6 hits i think ... the cards happened to capitalize on them ... that's all ... and i contend that rally killing strikeout/throw him out was huge in changing the momentum in that game ... also, utley getting thrown out at 3rd for no reason was almost as bad ...
    edited October 2011
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    [like you guys mentioned, a 5 game series is unpredictable. I would have thrown halladay on short rest for game 4, then had lee on regular rest for a game 5. make them beat your three best pitchers if you're going to lose. but that's just common sense talking. and everyone here disagreed with me on that as well.

but there are pros and cons to that ... pitching halladay on short rest isn't going to guarantee a win ... if he loses ... who do you have for the elimination game? ... lee? ... dude got hit pretty good in game 2 ...

oswalt didn't pitch that bad ... he gave up 6 hits i think ... the cards happened to capitalize on them ... that's all ... and i contend that rally killing strikeout/throw him out was huge in changing the momentum in that game ... also, utley getting thrown out at 3rd for no reason was almost as bad ...

if they were down 2-1, then you go to halladay. up 2-1 i was happy with the oswalt decision. and you're right. he didn't pitch badly. just made some dumb mistakes in the 6th. and people forget that lee blew a 4 run lead in game 2. there are no guarantees. please do not bring up that utley play again. thank you.
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, Lee would have been on regular rest for game 5. if victorino makes the play in game 2 we are probably talking about phils/brewers right now (like howard, he has had some huge mishaps in the last 3 playoff series that they have lost...he was brutal in the 09 WS and he dropped that ball in game 6 last year). halladay/jackson is as big of a mismatch as you will get in a playoff game.

plenty of mistakes to go around. pence running with howard up was beyond stupid, but thats charlie maneul for you.

oswalt wasn't good in game 4. all it takes is one bad inning...especially in the playoffs. he should have never been out there to begin with.
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, Lee would have been on regular rest for game 5. if victorino makes the play in game 2 we are probably talking about phils/brewers right now (like howard, he has had some huge mishaps in the last 3 playoff series that they have lost...he was brutal in the 09 WS and he dropped that ball in game 6 last year). halladay/jackson is as big of a mismatch as you will get in a playoff game.

plenty of mistakes to go around. pence running with howard up was beyond stupid, but thats charlie maneul for you.

oswalt wasn't good in game 4. all it takes is one bad inning...especially in the playoffs. he should have never been out there to begin with.

well ... obviously hindsight is 20/20 ... and i don't think all things considered pitching oswalt in game 4 was a bad decision ... at the end of the day, it was most definitely the bats that were a problem ... all the individual plays are a function of that ... when you aren't scoring runs - people try to do too much on the basepaths and your defense gets a bit tighter ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

well ... obviously hindsight is 20/20 ... and i don't think all things considered pitching oswalt in game 4 was a bad decision ... at the end of the day, it was most definitely the bats that were a problem ... all the individual plays are a function of that ... when you aren't scoring runs - people try to do too much on the basepaths and your defense gets a bit tighter ...

polaris---you're way too rational for this thread.
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yep, all true.

I did say before game 4 that I would have started halladay. it's a 5 game series...last thing you want is a do or die game. had two chances to end things...I would have made them beat my two best pitchers.

it was nice being at game 5 and watching Lee warm up in the bullpen though. So glad the phils gave him $100 million bucks to throw bullpen sessions in the playoffs :roll:
This discussion has been closed.