***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Lee's agent was just on with Mikey Miss

He said nothing is done yet and hasn't been told other wise

I hate to see Lee go...he was a friggin stud in the playoffs

This self imposed salary cap is getting annoying

We're not the Yank-mees but I see no problem with having Lee here another year and adding Halladay

Stop crying poor mouth Phillies the place has been sold-out and we have back to back runs to the WS

If you wanna play with the big boys you have to spend with the big boys you can't have it both ways

If we dont offer Blanton arbiration we would save close to 7million,Lee makes 9million halladay is making 15plus this yr but toronto is gonna pay 6million of his salary. If u add them 2 up the phillies would be paying roughly 18 million for lee and halladay in 2010. Next year they both will make 20 plus,so you won't pay 18mill for one yr and have them both in the staff. Sea isnt giving any players to toronto and if lee walks next year we would get 2 1st picks in the future. Seems pretty simple to me keep the 2 studs for 1 year and win another world series. Why in the world they set a 140 max cap,when if u keep the 2 you make even more money in attendance and merchandise. And the 4 lefty arguetment goes out the door because lee is a lefty and kills all hitters righty or lefty and if cole is cole from 2yrs ago then u have 3 #1 pitchers and happ and moyer.

I agree

You're looking at possibly winning 2 WS Titles in 3 years

You can't pass this up IMO

I wonder how much Gillick is involved in all this he spent time as GM in each city

probably alot pat is the man.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    If we dont offer Blanton arbiration we would save close to 7million,Lee makes 9million halladay is making 15plus this yr but toronto is gonna pay 6million of his salary. If u add them 2 up the phillies would be paying roughly 18 million for lee and halladay in 2010. Next year they both will make 20 plus,so you won't pay 18mill for one yr and have them both in the staff. Sea isnt giving any players to toronto and if lee walks next year we would get 2 1st picks in the future. Seems pretty simple to me keep the 2 studs for 1 year and win another world series. Why in the world they set a 140 max cap,when if u keep the 2 you make even more money in attendance and merchandise. And the 4 lefty arguetment goes out the door because lee is a lefty and kills all hitters righty or lefty and if cole is cole from 2yrs ago then u have 3 #1 pitchers and happ and moyer.

I agree

You're looking at possibly winning 2 WS Titles in 3 years

You can't pass this up IMO

I wonder how much Gillick is involved in all this he spent time as GM in each city

probably alot pat is the man.

"THE WINTER meetings were winding down. The next morning the Rule 5 draft would be held and then the baseball executives who had taken over the Indianapolis Downtown Marriott would flee for the doors in the annual December stampede to get home for Christmas.

In the Champions restaurant adjacent to the lobby last Wednesday night, a half-dozen Phillies baseball people sat at a table. The group was anchored by general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and senior adviser Pat Gillick. The mood appeared to be celebratory, somewhat jarring considering that the team had done nothing but sign free agent pinch-hitter Ross Gload, a deal that has yet to be officially announced."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... _deal.html
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Solat13 wrote:

The real mistake was signing Moyer last year due to fan pressure. If Moyer and his 7 million dollar salary wasn't here right now, the Phils wouldn't have had to trade either Blanton or Lee.

i tried telling you gentlemen that a year ago :mrgreen:
    just retire already---you're pushing 50 old man!
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

We're not the Yankees, and I no way in Hell want to be anything that closely resembles the Yankees.
    so you wouldn't want your own network and logo that is recognized world wide, countless players in the hall of fame, a revenue stream that is the likes of tiger woods, a farm system that is always good and most important 27 world series. i for one would def want that. i can't believe i'm even defending the yanks, dear god wtf.

sooo 3 years at 20 million, saves da phils alota money. i think the phillies got the better end of this deal seeing as how lee wants a mega contract.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Also, the Phils didn't just get the M's #1 pitching prospect, but also their #2 as well. They both can't be damaged goods if that's what you're inferring. Also, the M's are the same team that traded Adam Jones for Erik Bedard - so let's hope they turn out the same way as that trade.
    by no means am i saying they are damaged goods. I'm just saying it seems odd that a franchise that is committed to rebuilding through the farm system gives up on its 2 best prospects before they even get a sniff of the big leagues. yes the jones deal was a bust for them, but whose to say this deal will pan out for either team. ya never know really.

metsfan wrote:

Also, the Phils didn't just get the M's #1 pitching prospect, but also their #2 as well. They both can't be damaged goods if that's what you're inferring. Also, the M's are the same team that traded Adam Jones for Erik Bedard - so let's hope they turn out the same way as that trade.
    by no means am i saying they are damaged goods. I'm just saying it seems odd that a franchise that is committed to rebuilding through the farm system gives up on its 2 best prospects before they even get a sniff of the big leagues. yes the jones deal was a bust for them, but whose to say this deal will pan out for either team. ya never know really.

how the mets look for next year?
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:

same as ever :lol::lol: . wait till next year should be the team motto. pretty pathetic even its fanbase bashes the team. anyways you won't be seeing me in here cept for a few congrats during the year.

go m's :P

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    metsfan wrote:

We gonna fuck your shit!
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    metsfan wrote:

We're not the Yankees, and I no way in Hell want to be anything that closely resembles the Yankees.
    so you wouldn't want your own network and logo that is recognized world wide, countless players in the hall of fame, a revenue stream that is the likes of tiger woods, a farm system that is always good and most important 27 world series. i for one would def want that. i can't believe i'm even defending the yanks, dear god wtf.

sooo 3 years at 20 million, saves da phils alota money. i think the phillies got the better end of this deal seeing as how lee wants a mega contract.

Seriously, the Phillies are a great team, but unfortunately for them, no one gives two shits about them...and they'll never win another world series again ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Seriously, the Phillies are a great team, but unfortunately for them, no one gives two shits about them...and they'll never win another world series again ;) ..

This makes me smile. :mrgreen:
    something's fishy here...

Agent says Lee didn't force Phillies into Halladay deal
    By PAUL HAGEN
    Philadelphia Daily News

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:hagenp@phillynews.com">hagenp@phillynews.com</a><!-- e -->

THERE ARE at least a couple reasons why the Phillies traded Cliff Lee to the Seattle Mariners in the triangular transaction that fetched Roy Halladay from the Toronto Blue Jays instead of keeping both former Cy Young Award winners to form a super-rotation.

One, obviously, was money. By moving Lee's $9 million and getting the Jays to kick in $6 million, they pretty much offset Halladay's $15.75 million base salary for 2010 and keep their payroll around $140 million.

Another is that this is just what the Phillies do. Club president Dave Montgomery has been consistent on this point. The goal is to try to be one of the final eight teams and then hope to get hot during the postseason.

Finally, it was done to bring in prospects from Seattle (righthanders Phillippe Aumont and Juan Ramirez plus outfielder Tyson Gillies) to help replace the young talent (righthander Kyle Drabek, outfielder Michael Taylor and catcher Travis D'Arnaud) that the Phillies are handing over to Toronto (with Taylor flipped to Oakland for infielder Brett Wallace).

It has already become part of the collective consciousness that another factor was Lee making it clear he intended to test the free-agent market at the end of the season. So when the Phillies had the opportunity to wrap up Halladay through 2013 with a 3-year extension worth around $60 million, they chose not to take a chance on having Lee walk at the end of the season.

And that, said agent Darek Braunecker, simply isn't true.

"He said that last year to the Indians and that was exclusive to Cleveland. He never indicated that to the Phillies," Braunecker said in a phone conversation yesterday, adding that the common perception is a "mischaracterization" of their negotiating position.

"We were having conversations that I think both sides would characterize as encouraging, until something came along that was completely out of our control. Which was Halladay's willingness to accept a deal," he said.

"What's kind of been conveyed is that something along the lines that Cliff was making exorbitant demands that made it impossible for him to stay in Philadelphia. I wouldn't want people to say that he was greedy. We weren't far enough along to formulate a position. Cliff's desire all along was to work out a deal long term. He loved it there. It was his desire and intent to stay. Then things changed that were beyond our control."

That's all hindsight at this point. A source with direct knowledge of the situation said yesterday that the only remaining hurdle is for all the players involved to pass their physicals, which is expected to be a formality.

Major League Baseball has become adamant recently about players involved passing physicals before trades are formally completed in an effort to avoid possible grievances or even voided trades after they've been announced.

Last week during the winter meetings in Indianapolis, word of each deal leaked a day or more before it was officially announced.

The Blue Jays, for example, would have to make arrangements to have Drabek, D'Arnaud and Wallace examined either in Toronto or their spring training base in Dunedin, Fla. Lee presumably would have to go to Seattle or Phoenix from his Arkansas home. Taylor would need to be examined by the Athletics. Indications are that Halladay, who has been in town all week, has been cleared by the Phillies medical staff.

The transaction could become official as early as today.
    www.myspace.com
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    what is Lee's agent going to say "we want CC money/years even though most FA are actually geting less than a few years ago"?? hell no, and yes Lee might have given a discount to the Phils, but my guess is that he would want a 6 or 7 year deal and the Phils aren't prepared to ever give that to a pitcher. So they decided to part ways with Lee before the season, thus avoiding the circus that followed Halladay last year, and not losing Lee at the end of the season for nothing (a 1st rounder and supplement draft pick are nothing compared to what they got in trade value).
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:
    what is Lee's agent going to say "we want CC money/years even though most FA are actually geting less than a few years ago"?? hell no, and yes Lee might have given a discount to the Phils, but my guess is that he would want a 6 or 7 year deal and the Phils aren't prepared to ever give that to a pitcher. So they decided to part ways with Lee before the season, thus avoiding the circus that followed Halladay last year, and not losing Lee at the end of the season for nothing (a 1st rounder and supplement draft pick are nothing compared to what they got in trade value).

sounds like that was the phils' guess too as they didn't talk about it with them too much.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,424
    the Phils talked to Lee's agent at the winter meetings - clearly they got the impression that Lee wasn't an option past this year. Getting Halladay signed to 3 years was a great move. Sucks to give up Drabek and Taylor and makes you wonder why we didn't do that this past July. I'm not sure why people seem to be against having Halladay over Lee. Yes Lee pitched great for the Phils but the consensus last year was that Halladay was the better pitcher.
    chromiam wrote:

sounds like that was the phils' guess too as they didn't talk about it with them too much.

All I know is the day Lee was traded to the Phils he said - verbatim - (on testing free agency), "That's where every player wants to be, so honestly, the closer I get to that point, the more likelihood I'm going to be testing free agency." These were his words.
    pjhawks wrote:
    the Phils talked to Lee's agent at the winter meetings - clearly they got the impression that Lee wasn't an option past this year. Getting Halladay signed to 3 years was a great move. Sucks to give up Drabek and Taylor and makes you wonder why we didn't do that this past July. I'm not sure why people seem to be against having Halladay over Lee. Yes Lee pitched great for the Phils but the consensus last year was that Halladay was the better pitcher.

Because most of these people have jumped on the Phillies' balls once they started winning - granted, I'm not talking about anyone here. Just on the radio and the such....Everyone was on Doc's balls before the trade deadling, then sulked when we got Lee and they bitched that the Phils weren't going for it all. Then, Lee tears up the first half of his season with the Phils, and then of course there's his absolute super domination in the playoffs. So now everyone's on Lee's balls, and sulk because we got Halladay. Just hearing from too many knucklheads right now is what it is. No one can even pronounce Doc's last name right for Christ's sakes - from last year and STILL till now. And they never even heard of Cliff Lee before August 1, 2009.
  • chromiam wrote:

All I know is the day Lee was traded to the Phils he said - verbatim - (on testing free agency), "That's where every player wants to be, so honestly, the closer I get to that point, the more likelihood I'm going to be testing free agency." These were his words.

And things and people can change take Scott Eyre when he signed with the cubs he put the phillies in as a team he wouldn't go to if traded. Now he played here and loves it here so much he won't play anywhere else. Im sure Lee felt that way when he arrived here but after actually being here he might have changed his mind.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,424
    pjhawks wrote:

Because most of these people have jumped on the Phillies' balls once they started winning - granted, I'm not talking about anyone here. Just on the radio and the such....Everyone was on Doc's balls before the trade deadling, then sulked when we got Lee and they bitched that the Phils weren't going for it all. Then, Lee tears up the first half of his season with the Phils, and then of course there's his absolute super domination in the playoffs. So now everyone's on Lee's balls, and sulk because we got Halladay. Just hearing from too many knucklheads right now is what it is. No one can even pronounce Doc's last name right for Christ's sakes - from last year and STILL till now. And they never even heard of Cliff Lee before August 1, 2009.

agreed, its the WIP and Eagles fan mentality. they just bitch at everything. it's tiring. i don't even listen to sports talk anymore because of such morons on there.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

And things and people can change take Scott Eyre when he signed with the cubs he put the phillies in as a team he wouldn't go to if traded. Now he played here and loves it here so much he won't play anywhere else. Im sure Lee felt that way when he arrived here but after actually being here he might have changed his mind.

That's all well and good but can honestly say that after all his talk of testing FA, that Lee would sign a 3 year $60 million extension now or after next season?? My bet would be no, especially since he'd never had that big payday and by signing a deal that would take him to 35 years old, he'd basically be giving up his prime playing years.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996

This was from the Delaware paper last week:

-

Darek Braunecker hadn't planned on attending the winter meetings, but the Phillies asked him to fly to Indianapolis for the sole purpose of having a face-to-face discussion about a contract extension for Lee, who will make $9 million in 2010. Braunecker, Lee's Arkansas-based agent, complied and met with Amaro, but a source said the talks didn't advance beyond preliminary stages.
    -

Once the Phils knew they weren't going to make any headway anytime soon, they moved on.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    the phils operate much the same way the eagles do it appears. only difference, obviously, is that they have won a championship and the birds haven't...yet. the argument about not going "all in" this year and keeping both of them is something you hear about the eagles every year. when its all said and done though, ruben paid a pretty steep price but made a good deal and got one of the top 2 pitchers in the world at the top of the rotation, while at the same time locking him up and assuring we will be in the hunt for the next 3 or 4 years.

that's a similar approach that the eagles take year in, year out--with the exception of 2004.
    www.myspace.com
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    chromiam wrote:

That's all well and good but can honestly say that after all his talk of testing FA, that Lee would sign a 3 year $60 million extension now or after next season?? My bet would be no, especially since he'd never had that big payday and by signing a deal that would take him to 35 years old, he'd basically be giving up his prime playing years.

The main reason Lee is looking to get paid is that he signed a really bad deal in the 2005 offseason.

Lee was coming off an 18-5 season that he finished fourth in the Cy Young voting and he was one year away from arbitration at the time. He signed a 4 year deal for $15 million with an option for a 5th year for 9 million. Essentially he signed for lack of a better term an Eagles contract "ala Sheldon Brown and many others who want guaranteed money early but overperform their deals." So now he wants to get paid in his next deal to make up for the money he lost from his first deal.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Prediction: We will all be illiterate by the year 2012 because we will be spelling Dominic as Domonic due to Domonic Brown. Look out anyone named Dominic, you're screwed in a few years.
    Reported out of Toronto, someone apparently failed their physical. I think they're saying it's Drabek.
  • Reported out of Toronto, someone apparently failed their physical. I think they're saying it's Drabek.
    What this mean?? He is the center piece for sure.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Reported out of Toronto, someone apparently failed their physical. I think they're saying it's Drabek.

No idea. It could mean nothing, it could mean disaster, or somewhere in between. Hopefully the Phils made their trade with Seattle contingent upon this trade being approved. And hopefully there was a slip up, or it's something related to his Tommy John surgery that it just comes up as a blip on the radar. We will see...
  • Reported out of Toronto, someone apparently failed their physical. I think they're saying it's Drabek.

No idea. It could mean nothing, it could mean disaster, or somewhere in between. Hopefully the Phils made their trade with Seattle contingent upon this trade being approved. And hopefully there was a slip up, or it's something related to his Tommy John surgery that it just comes up as a blip on the radar. We will see...
    were did u get this from?? link please
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    It's on MLBTR, if you dont feeling like following 900 people on twitter just refresh trade rumors every 30 seconds, haha.

Could you imagine if this deal unraveled and RAJ had to deal with a really pissed off Cliff Lee.

Nah, not going to happen, they will work it out one way or another.

were did u get this from?? link please

Heard it on the radio coming back from lunch. But it's here now - http://www.the700level.com/2009/12/rumo ... sical.html
    I don't know what to think because now I'm hearing it's Taylor because he had elbow problems in the Fall league. Considering he's going to Oakland in a subsequent trade could mean somthing...
This discussion has been closed.