***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    We will trade prospects to toronto they will send us halladay then we will get prospects from seattle for lee. Thats what my friend said he heard.

Then why would Seatlle even be included? Toronto has to be getting something from Seattle otherwise it would just be two seperate trades with the Phillies restocking their farm.

most likely it will be a combo of prospects from Seattle and the Phillies to Toronto

It has to be

3:56pm: Morosi tweets that pitcher Phillippe Aumont of the Mariners and outfielder Michael Taylor of the Phillies are among the players heading to Toronto in the trade.
  • Dominic brown is what there saying now.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Dominic brown is what there saying now.

I guess until all the smoke clears we wont know for sure

I dont think the current trade as it stands makes us better then the Yanks
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    The Champ wrote:
    As a Met fan, I'm not totally crushed by this news..I mean, you really can't pitch any better than Lee did for you down the stretch..He was lights out in big spots..

I feel the same way as a Phillies fan :)

Lee was crazy in the playoffs !!

Agreed, not certain that Halladay will deliver in big spots ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    As a Met fan, I'm not totally crushed by this news..I mean, you really can't pitch any better than Lee did for you down the stretch..He was lights out in big spots..

I feel the same way as a Phillies fan :)

Lee was crazy in the playoffs !!

Agreed, not certain that Halladay will deliver in big spots ;) ..
    least he's better than the great john maine ;)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:

And big Pelf can out lick any motherfucker..

Don't see what we have to worry about at all:

Perez
    Maine
    Pelfrey
    Niese

We are good to go ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,424
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Perez
    Maine
    Pelfrey
    Niese

We are good to go ;) ..

yes I'd say you will beat out the Nats again next year - that's about all though.

3 division champs and counting
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Perez
    Maine
    Pelfrey
    Niese

We are good to go ;) ..

yes I'd say you will beat out the Nats again next year - that's about all though.

3 division champs and counting

I don't know, excluding Johan, their starting pitching is considerably better than the Met rotation..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

New Twist !

Roy Halladay in Philadelphia for a physical

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—A person with knowledge of the situation says Toronto pitcher Roy Halladay(notes) is in Philadelphia to take a physical for the Phillies, a necessary step before the teams finalize a trade.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the teams had not made any announcement.

Philadelphia could give up pitchers J.A. Happ(notes), Joe Blanton(notes) and outfielder Dominic Brown as part of a deal, the person said.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqMXToHxJUMv5IH5KLpAoUw5nYcB?slug=ap-phillies-bluejays-halladay&prov=ap&type=lgns

New Twist !

Roy Halladay in Philadelphia for a physical

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—A person with knowledge of the situation says Toronto pitcher Roy Halladay(notes) is in Philadelphia to take a physical for the Phillies, a necessary step before the teams finalize a trade.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the teams had not made any announcement.

Philadelphia could give up pitchers J.A. Happ(notes), Joe Blanton(notes) and outfielder Dominic Brown as part of a deal, the person said.

no way...whoever wrote that article is about 10 hours late to the party. i'd love for that to be true though.
    www.myspace.com
    philly.com is saying happ, blanton and halladay all took physicals today and lee's agent has not heard from the phils....hmmmm

please ruben....please find a way to get lee without parting ways with young clifford just yet....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... sical.html
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    philly.com is saying happ, blanton and halladay all took physicals today and lee's agent has not heard from the phils....hmmmm

please ruben....please find a way to get lee without parting ways with young clifford just yet....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... sical.html

From the time I get home from work till now shit has been all over the place. I don't know what the fuck to think right now. I would think Heyman at SI and MLB Net would have shit together but who knows....

And it's Clifton - don't soil the man's namesake like that.
    my buddy just heard an update on 610 that saidthe phils would rather part with taylor than brown and if they include happa nd brown they would not need a 3rd team involved, thus not having to part ways with lee.

C'MON RUBEN. YOU GOT THE POTENTIAL FOR A LEGENDARY ROTATION. FUCK 4 YEARS FROM NOW. LETS TAKE BACK OUR CROWN NEXT YEAR GOD DAMN IT!!! :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    heyman on si.com says the original deal involving cliff lee is a done deal.

if the below from jayson stark is true though, kyle drabek better turn out to be the next tom seaver. jesus h christ...you blow a shot at one of the best rotations in recent history for a prospect who may or may not pan out?!?!:

6:18pm: An interesting update to Jayson Stark's article. Prior to turning to the M's, the Phillies first attempted to complete a two-team deal with Toronto alone for Halladay. However, when Philly refused to include their top pitching prospect Kyle Drabek - as they did last summer - they got Seattle involved
    www.myspace.com
    EDIT - I copy and pasted this from my FB post. Gotta figure this out...

Okay, I think I got it. And mind you, we still don't know the exact details of this trade but this is the last package I heard about...

Think about it this way - Phils never wanted to trade the farm for Halladay. They didn't give up anything for Lee. Lee makes 9 mil this coming year then admittedly goes onto say that he would like to test the market and get CC and Santana money(23 mil/year) following 2010. If this were the case this would make the chance of locking up Lee that much more difficult. So, the Phils got creative and made a 3 way deal to get Doc for prospects Taylor and D'Arnauld. Essentially, they got Halladay for none of the cream of the crop while going to the World Series in the process, AND locking Docup long term. Amaro's a genius. Personally, I would've liked to have seen them take a chance of Doc, Lee, and Hamels for one year and then offer Lee arbitration after 2010 , which he will expectedly decline, thereby compensating the Phils with two 1st round draft picks. But that would have cost too much for the team long term as well have made it difficult with salary to sign anyone else.

I whole-heartedly back this move. Would I have liked Doc, Lee, Hamels? Of course, but this was an absolutlely sound move to make.
  • looks like it's closing in on being completed - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4742072
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    looks like it's closing in on being completed - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4742072

So some French frog by the name of Aumont will become my new Drabek? I guess that's alright.
  • looks like it's closing in on being completed - http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4742072

So some French frog by the name of Aumont will become my new Drabek? I guess that's alright.

ha, I figured Toronto would insist on having Aumont since he's Canadian and wowed the crowd in Toronto at the WBC.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • I'm sure Halladay will be fine but this bums me out. Lee really fit in well with this team. From the moment he came, it just seemed "right" that he was a Phillie. He's a hard-nosed kind of player in the vein of Utley or Werth.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I'm sure Halladay will be fine but this bums me out. Lee really fit in well with this team. From the moment he came, it just seemed "right" that he was a Phillie. He's a hard-nosed kind of player in the vein of Utley or Werth.

Wait till you see Doc. Talk about hard nosed.

I don't like to bring this guy up as he was a terrible president, but he's actually not a bad baseball guy. One George W. Bush - I remember he was asked back in 06 or 07, "If you had to pick one position player and one pitcher to start a franchise and you could pick any player from any team, who would they be?" He answered Utley and Halladay. And now here they are on the same team. Terrible president, but he does know his baseball.

Yo, so this Aumont dude is 6'7" 220? Get this man conditioned!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,784
    I'm sure Halladay will be fine but this bums me out. Lee really fit in well with this team. From the moment he came, it just seemed "right" that he was a Phillie. He's a hard-nosed kind of player in the vein of Utley or Werth.

I'm with ya. I really liked lee. Kind sucks to see him go. I was happy when we got him instead of Halladay, but looking at the numbers maybe Halladay is a better choice :?:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    pssst ... Tim Kurkjian is stating on ESPN that Kyle Drabek may indeed be moved in this deal.

How do Phillie fans feel now?

(not sure when this ws added to the deal but I was under the impression he was not going to be dealt)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    pssst ... Tim Kurkjian is stating on ESPN that Kyle Drabek may indeed be moved in this deal.

(not sure when this ws added to the deal but I was under the impression he was not going to be dealt)

Like I said above, I don't mind it because we're getting Seattle's #1 pitching prospect who was the #11 overall pick in the '07 draft. Dude's 6'7", 220 lbs. So prospects are prospects and we really didn't lose anything there as it's a wash. It'll be interesting to see what Michael Taylor turns into in Toronto. I like Domonic Brown more anyway - reminds me of Strawberry.
  • so before i chime in i will state that i am and have been a mets fan.

when i saw this today i simply thought...brilliant.
    minaya needs to take notes on how to build and maintain a championship team. of course it sucks to lose cliff lee in this deal, and in the meantime kudos to the Mariners who also seem committed to 2010, but i think this worked out great for all 3 teams. it absolutely buries the "megadeal" of last weeks meetings and helps all 3 of these teams take steps in the right direction in the 3 toughest divisions in baseball.
    with the mets asleep on lackey, their season might already be over. the met fan in me is just thinking that i am lucky lee didnt stay for the last season with halladay.
    as far as prospects go, who is to say any of them will pan out anyways? with deep farm systems you can afford to give away and gamble. its even more worth it when the guys names are lee and halladay.
    i hope this is a somewhat competitive season.

go mets. congrats phillies!
    good for the phils. they saved 9 millions bucks next year. and got an extra 6 mil from toronto apparently.

i dunno...i mean doc is a better pitcher than lee. that much is certain. but to think that we could have had both had it not for our self imposed salary cap is a little too hard to swallow for me. 73 sellouts last year, alternate jersey sales, higher ticket prices this year...and you can't spend an extra 10 million for just this next season...even if it means having a rotation for the ages??

the way i see it, right now we're a little better than we were on november 5th.

but now, as with then, the key to 2010? ...still cole hamels. just would have been nice to have added to the rotation instead of swapping cy young winners.
    www.myspace.com
  • So we basicially traded Carlos carrasco, jason Knapp, jason Donald,lou marson kyle drabek,michael taylor and travis darnaud for Roy Halladay,ben francisco ,phillippe Aumont and tyson gilles. Thats alot these prospects better be good.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    jimed14 wrote:

Like I said above, I don't mind it because we're getting Seattle's #1 pitching prospect who was the #11 overall pick in the '07 draft. Dude's 6'7", 220 lbs. So prospects are prospects and we really didn't lose anything there as it's a wash. It'll be interesting to see what Michael Taylor turns into in Toronto. I like Domonic Brown more anyway - reminds me of Strawberry.
    the m's farm system is stacked from top to bottom. so its a bit odd seattle didn't think to highly of him or else they woulda kept him. to me as a baseball fan that's a bit of warning sign. Zduriencik is by no means a clueless talent evaluator. also don't compare anyone to strawberry ever. strawberry was a real 5 tool player. strawberry woulda been everything what bonds was,the greatest baseball player of all time. to bad he was drafted by and played for a jinx team.

btw- congrats on winning the NL east
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

the m's farm system is stacked from top to bottom. so its a bit odd seattle didn't think to highly of him or else they woulda kept him. to me as a baseball fan that's a bit of warning sign. Zduriencik is by no means a clueless talent evaluator. also don't compare anyone to strawberry ever. strawberry was a real 5 tool player. strawberry woulda been everything what bonds was,the greatest baseball player of all time. to bad he was drafted by and played for a jinx team.

btw- congrats on winning the NL east

I mean his stature and the way he swings a bat and plays the field. He looks and plays like an identical to him - tall, slim, boney dude that whips his bat through the strike zone. He was also recruited by the U to play wide receiver, so this guy's got some pretty good athletic ability.

Also, the Phils didn't just get the M's #1 pitching prospect, but also their #2 as well. They both can't be damaged goods if that's what you're inferring. Also, the M's are the same team that traded Adam Jones for Erik Bedard - so let's hope they turn out the same way as that trade.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    I am a bit suprised by this trade. I certaintly get that the Philles are going to be getting prospects back for Lee to fill what they are losing in Drabek and Taylor, but I am really really suprised they are trading Drabek. Scouting reports sound good on Aumont (aside from some elbow pain) and his numbers were good last year, in a very limited sample size but he is a long ways away from being ready for the majors and Drabek has better numbers in a lot more innings and was "untouchable ".

The Phillies really went through the loop to get Halladay since the deadline and I am suprised they are giving this much up overeall.
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    now Drabek is in the deal? shit, I really wanted to see that curve at the Bank.
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
This discussion has been closed.