***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,961
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1. You tell me how they afford both those contracts for both those pitchers over the long term?

2. How do you know Brown and Talyor will become the players everyone sucking their balls think they'll become?

3. Talk about being unappreciative. Cole Hamels is only 25 - going on 26 - fucking years old and has been absolutely stellar. I don't know if you remember this, but he helped win a world fucking championship. Yes, he had a very average year last year, but that's worth giving up on when he has had 3 solid years and one mediocre one??? That's just fucking preposterous.

4. Happ's not that good. He's a solid #4 - maybe #3 at best.

1. They would never afford both of them past this year. That is impossible, even for the Yankees. That is a fact.

2. Prospects are prospects, you never know. They Yankees traded a player they hope to be Granderson for Granderson. I will trade an outfield prospect for a pitcher any day though. It is more about the situation with this trade.

3. As The Jeagler has said many times, Cole is the key to the Phillies, could be a good thing could be an awful thing. I personally think he is a bitch and his wife if is a retard but whatever. Hope that does not offend anyone.

4. Happ was rated as a #3 starter. Scouts are right 99% of the time. They know what they are looking at.

My problem with this trade is that the Phillies gave up 7 of their top 10 prospects and got back a possible closer and decent outfielder for Halladay when maybe they could have signed Lee to an extension and only given up a few prospects.

I know you are a huge fan of Amaro, but is it possible he might have been a bit too aggressive on this one?

That's the thing - I like the aggressiveness. If you want my entire outlook on this situation it is as followed....

It's not like they gave up 7 guys just for Halladay. The four guys that went to Cleveland for Lee were not much. So in that sense they gave up squadoosh for a World Series run rental. Along with a solid 4th outfielder.

We can debate for eternity about the situation as to the contract talks with Lee, but nothing was ever known as if Lee was going to be able to be signed long term.

Acquiring Halladay last July was worth way too much compared to what they gave up for the Lee Run.

Now, say the Phils keep Lee and Doc for one run this year. Meaning they give up who they gave up to Toronto without any known quantities to replenish the farm system(this is the same organization that was just named organization of the year). Now, you go through the year without the GUARANTEE of winning ANYTHING in 2010. Now it's the end of 2010, you've already extended doc prior to the season and now cannot afford Lee so you offer him arbitration and receive the two compensatory picks in the draft. Now, these two draft pick you have NO IDEA who they may be, how they turn out, etc. etc. And now you're left with no suitable prospects in your farm system, only draft picks. And draft picks take on average 4/5 years to fully develop. THIS is the reason I don't have a problem with this - you're still the favorite in the NL and are still keeping eyes open to 3 years down the road. And I don't wanna hear the BS about how it's not about competing with the NL but it's with competing with the Red Sox or Yanks. NOTHING is guaranteed. Getting to the World Series is NEVER guaranteed no matter who you've got - just ask the 200+ million dollar Yankees that didn't win the World Series in '01 through '08. All I know is Doc can throw on 3 days rest and can pitch games 1, 4, and 7. And my team is a powerhouse for years to come. THIS is why I'm fine with these moves, and people just got too caught up in thinking we could have both these guys that they got crazy.

I'm sure there's grammatical errors all over this...
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    From everything I have read Happ is a number 3 at best. I trust scouts these days, they dont usually fuck up. Small sample size and impressive stuff, hitters will catch up.

Is this not why baseball is the greatest sport? The Colts are undefeated and playing tonight and we are debating baseball. I fucking love this game.
    And if Lee's your #1 and Hamels is your #2 then Happ would your #3 and i'd be just fine with that. And if drabek is half as good as they say he could be your #3 or #4.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    1st Happ is very good,secondly if u say he's a 3 or a 4 then that perfect for are rotation Lee,hamels,happ or drabek at 3 or 4 and someone at 5. so u anwsered the question as u were asking it.

Happ is not that good. He'll be a servicable pitcher, but he really isn't as good as his ERA leads you to believe. I'm telling you. He fell lucky to a lot of stats that have to do with pretty much having fielders in the right spots at the right times - aka lots of line drives caught instead of making the gaps. Also, who the fuck KNOWS what Drabek will be??? Remember, he already had Tommy John and he just turned 21.

You're contradicting yourself about rolling out a rotation of Doc, Lee, Hamels, Happ, and Drabek. And now trying to say forget all about Doc and just go with Lee. So, again I ask you, how do you afford Doc and Lee long term at the top of this rotation? THAT is the argument.

Oh, and that piece of shit Hamels right? Horrible pitcher right?

Never did i say have a rotation with halladay and lee. I said if we DIDNT do the Halladay trade and instead resigned lee to a 3-5 yr deal at lets say 18million a year.

That's the problem right there with Lee. Lee's agent was interviewed during the World Series by the Little Rock newspaper about Lee and Burnett - his two biggest clients. And when the question came to Lee's contract, his agent said Lee was worth between 20-25 million a year for a long term deal and he wants to explore the marketplace to get the best deal for his client. The Phils were never going to go more than 3 years so they didn't want to take the risk and got Halladay instead.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    From everything I have read Happ is a number 3 at best. I trust scouts these days, they dont usually fuck up. Small sample size and impressive stuff, hitters will catch up.

Is this not why baseball is the greatest sport? The Colts are undefeated and playing tonight and we are debating baseball. I fucking love this game.

The Colts already won a long time ago, thus still giving life to the Jets....just to quickly recap, the Mets are awesome and the Phillies suck cock ;) ..night..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Solat13 wrote:

If the Red Sox get A Gon which they're trying to do and the Yanks have Tex, the two biggest suitors for Howard have dried up unless he wants to be a DH and I think he has too much pride to do that early in his career so the Phils might have a better shot at extending him than people think.

The "if" Boston gets A Gon is a big "if", Ellsbury is not as good a fit as everyone thinks as he is eligible for abritration next year.

You are out of your god damn mind if you think Howard has too much pride to DH, Howard is about the money my friend. You cannot convince me otherwise.
    Drabek did turn 22, but I meant his Tommy John was before he was 21.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

If the Red Sox get A Gon which they're trying to do and the Yanks have Tex, the two biggest suitors for Howard have dried up unless he wants to be a DH and I think he has too much pride to do that early in his career so the Phils might have a better shot at extending him than people think.

The "if" Boston gets A Gon is a big "if", Ellsbury is not as good a fit as everyone thinks as he is eligible for abritration next year.

You are out of your god damn mind if you think Howard has too much pride to DH, Howard is about the money my friend. You cannot convince me otherwise.

Not too many guys at age 32 sign on to be a DH. Besides by that point, the Yankees will have Jeter as their DH.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    The Champ wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The Colts already won a long time ago, thus still giving life to the Jets....just to quickly recap, the Mets are awesome and the Phillies suck cock ;) ..night..

A lil nightly reading for ya, Champ....

http://www.fanfeedr.com/mlb/2009/12/17/ ... heir-place 8-)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    1. You tell me how they afford both those contracts for both those pitchers over the long term?

2. How do you know Brown and Talyor will become the players everyone sucking their balls think they'll become?

3. Talk about being unappreciative. Cole Hamels is only 25 - going on 26 - fucking years old and has been absolutely stellar. I don't know if you remember this, but he helped win a world fucking championship. Yes, he had a very average year last year, but that's worth giving up on when he has had 3 solid years and one mediocre one??? That's just fucking preposterous.

4. Happ's not that good. He's a solid #4 - maybe #3 at best.

1. They would never afford both of them past this year. That is impossible, even for the Yankees. That is a fact.

2. Prospects are prospects, you never know. They Yankees traded a player they hope to be Granderson for Granderson. I will trade an outfield prospect for a pitcher any day though. It is more about the situation with this trade.

3. As The Jeagler has said many times, Cole is the key to the Phillies, could be a good thing could be an awful thing. I personally think he is a bitch and his wife if is a retard but whatever. Hope that does not offend anyone.

4. Happ was rated as a #3 starter. Scouts are right 99% of the time. They know what they are looking at.

My problem with this trade is that the Phillies gave up 7 of their top 10 prospects and got back a possible closer and decent outfielder for Halladay when maybe they could have signed Lee to an extension and only given up a few prospects.

I know you are a huge fan of Amaro, but is it possible he might have been a bit too aggressive on this one?

That's the thing - I like the aggressiveness. If you want my entire outlook on this situation it is as followed....

It's not like they gave up 7 guys just for Halladay. The four guys that went to Cleveland for Lee were not much. So in that sense they gave up squadoosh for a World Series run rental. Along with a solid 4th outfielder.

We can debate for eternity about the situation as to the contract talks with Lee, but nothing was ever known as if Lee was going to be able to be signed long term.

Acquiring Halladay last July was worth way too much compared to what they gave up for the Lee Run.

Now, say the Phils keep Lee and Doc for one run this year. Meaning they give up who they gave up to Toronto without any known quantities to replenish the farm system(this is the same organization that was just named organization of the year). Now, you go through the year without the GUARANTEE of winning ANYTHING in 2010. Now it's the end of 2010, you've already extended doc prior to the season and now cannot afford Lee so you offer him arbitration and receive the two compensatory picks in the draft. Now, these two draft pick you have NO IDEA who they may be, how they turn out, etc. etc. And now you're left with no suitable prospects in your farm system, only draft picks. And draft picks take on average 4/5 years to fully develop. THIS is the reason I don't have a problem with this - you're still the favorite in the NL and are still keeping eyes open to 3 years down the road. And I don't wanna hear the BS about how it's not about competing with the NL but it's with competing with the Red Sox or Yanks. NOTHING is guaranteed. Getting to the World Series is NEVER guaranteed no matter who you've got - just ask the 200+ million dollar Yankees that didn't win the World Series in '01 through '08. All I know is Doc can throw on 3 days rest and can pitch games 1, 4, and 7. And my team is a powerhouse for years to come. THIS is why I'm fine with these moves, and people just got too caught up in thinking we could have both these guys that they got crazy.

I'm sure there's grammatical errors all over this...

Listen, I agree that having both of them was a pipe dream. I just think Amaro should have tried harder to extend Lee before going all out for Halladay. There was plently of time left in the offseason and really no other suitors for Toronto, at least you know the Jays would have gone back to Philly before they made any other trade. My point is, Amaro should have made a much better attempt at extending Lee without giving up what he did for Doc. In my opinion, 5 years of Lee at around $20 mil= 4 years for Doc at $20 mil without losing Drabek and Taylor. Worth a try right? Dollars were never discussed and Lee said today he wanted to finish his career in Philly.
    Solat13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

Not too many guys at age 32 sign on to be a DH. Besides by that point, the Yankees will have Jeter as their DH.

Ortiz is gone, Youklis at 3rd, A Gon at 1st, Vmart gone (not a catcher long term) plently of room for howard.
  • 1. You tell me how they afford both those contracts for both those pitchers over the long term?

4. Happ's not that good. He's a solid #4 - maybe #3 at best.[/quote]

I know you are a huge fan of Amaro, but is it possible he might have been a bit too aggressive on this one?[/quote]

I'm sure there's grammatical errors all over this...[/quote]

Listen, I agree that having both of them was a pipe dream. I just think Amaro should have tried harder to extend Lee before going all out for Halladay. There was plently of time left in the offseason and really no other suitors for Toronto, at least you know the Jays would have gone back to Philly before they made any other trade. My point is, Amaro should have made a much better attempt at extending Lee without giving up what he did for Doc. In my opinion, 5 years of Lee at around $20 mil= 4 years for Doc at $20 mil without losing Drabek and Taylor. Worth a try right? Dollars were never discussed and Lee said today he wanted to finish his career in Philly.[/quote]

Thats what i've been saying the whole time.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Alright, well then we've gotten no where with any of this because one my biggest reasons I love this deal is the Doc is going to absolutely dominate the NL. DOMINATE. Santana's ERA went down .50 of an ERA once switching leagues so I can only imagine what a guy with a cutter on the same level of Mariano's will do. I am excited to say the least. Fucking baseball. Love it.

And it's hard to say what's better though - Felix and Lee or Carpenter and Wainwright? And if Hamels pitches even 30% better than he did last year then all this talk goes out the window.....Till tomorrow...
    I am also not trying to say that having Roy Halladay for the next 4 or 5 years is a bad thing. I have watched that motherfucker light up the Yankees for years. I just dont think this trade was necesary at this point. Amaro is trying to make his bones and is trying to hard in my opinion.

God damn, why am I not a gm? I did give Billy King a little bit of my mind when I worked for the Sixers right before he got fired.
    so I can only imagine what a guy with a cutter on the same level of Mariano's will do.

You're kidding right? We all respect Halladay but really?????

Get me the number of sawed of bats per 9 and come back to me before you talk about that cutter.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    so I can only imagine what a guy with a cutter on the same level of Mariano's will do.

Get me the number of sawed of bats per 9 and come back to me before you talk about that cutter.

It's a 94 mph cutter, and with the changes he made to it, along with his sinker, will have him pitching a dominant game far into his career as Marino has is what I'm saying. Look - I suck Doc's dick, and you suck the Sandman's. It's okay. ;)
    Good Point...

Pick your poison?

CC, AJ, Pettitte

Doc, Hamels, Happ? (let me know if I am wrong)

Carpenter, Wainwright, Pineiro?

Beckett, Lester, Lackey

King Felix, Lee, Snell?

Others?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's a 94 mph cutter, and with the changes he made to it, along with his sinker, will have him pitching a dominant game far into his career as Marino has is what I'm saying. Look - I suck Doc's dick, and you suck the Sandman's. It's okay. ;)

HAHA, fair enough.

The sandman does it with one pitch. That is what makes him different from everyone else. No one in the history of baseball has done what Mo has done with one pitch.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good Point...

Pick your poison?

CC, AJ, Pettitte

Beckett, Lester, Lackey

King Felix, Lee, Snell?

Others?

Lincecum,Cain and Zito
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good Point...

Pick your poison?

CC, AJ, Pettitte

Beckett, Lester, Lackey

King Felix, Lee, Snell?

Others?

Blanton I go with instead of Happ. And out of those trios I got Boston's hands down. Best duo is probably Carpenter & Wainwright, then Felix & Lee. But best trio is definitely Boston.
    Alright, well then we've gotten no where with any of this because one my biggest reasons I love this deal is the Doc is going to absolutely dominate the NL. DOMINATE. Santana's ERA went down .50 of an ERA once switching leagues so I can only imagine what a guy with a cutter on the same level of Mariano's will do. I am excited to say the least. Fucking baseball. Love it.

And it's hard to say what's better though - Felix and Lee or Carpenter and Wainwright? And if Hamels pitches even 30% better than he did last year then all this talk goes out the window.....Till tomorrow...

I can only imagine what a full season of Doc will be in the NL.

I just look at the post trade deadline:

Lee 12 starts 7-4 3.39 era 74k/10BB 2CG 1SHO 79 2/3 IP
    Halladay (for a team he didn't want to be with) 6-6 2.97 ERA 79/15 5CG 3SHO 91 IP (including a one hit shutout of the Yankees and a 3 hit shutout of Boston)
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good Point...

Pick your poison?

CC, AJ, Pettitte

Beckett, Lester, Lackey

King Felix, Lee, Snell?

Others?

Blanton I go with instead of Happ. And out of those trios I got Boston's hands down. Best duo is probably Carpenter & Wainwright, then Felix & Lee. But best trio is definitely Boston.

As much as it pains me to say I would agree. Lackey is basically the same pitcher as AJ and he is Bostons number 3. He is also an insufferable prick so he will fit in well with that bunch of jerkoffs.
    And if Peavy rebounds, then Buerhle, Peavy, Floyd/Danks isn't bad at all.
    Solat13 wrote:

Halladay (for a team he didn't want to be with) 6-6 2.97 ERA 79/15 5CG 3SHO 91 IP (including a one hit shutout of the Yankees and a 3 hit shutout of Boston)

It's going to be SCARY. It's wouldn't be a long shot to hand him the Cy Young now. I know I sound like a homer, but seriously...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    As much as it pains me to say I would agree. Lackey is basically the same pitcher as AJ and he is Bostons number 3. He is also an insufferable prick so he will fit in well with that bunch of jerkoffs.

Yeah, man. To me, any one of those guys could/have/can be a legit #1.

It's going to be SCARY. It's wouldn't be a long shot to hand him the Cy Young now. I know I sound like a homer, but seriously...

No, you're not being a homer. The way I look at it - you traded a very good all star caliber pitcher for a hall of fame caliber pitcher. That's an upgrade in my opinion.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    edited December 2009
    Solat13 wrote:

Halladay's one hitter on the Yankees was one of the most impressive pitching performances I have ever seen. It could have easily been a perfect game, the Yankees did not have a shot, if I remember correctly it was a Robby Cano double down the right field line Edit: I believe he also rolled over it and barely got it by 1st base.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    And Clifton Phifer Lee will be a Los Angeles Dodger in 2011. I have a weird feeling that happens. And he gets his 6 year, 23 mil per deal.
    And Clifton Phifer Lee will be a Los Angeles Dodger in 2011. I have a weird feeling that happens. And he gets his 6 year, 23 mil per deal.

He deserves it, he has an outstanding name

My prediction. Carl Crawford is a Yankee next offseason, I dont give a fuck what it takes. Crawford, Granderson, Swisher (Maybe) in the outfield...infield of Tex, Cano, Jeter, Arod. FUCK AND YES!

That depends on how much money McCourt has left after his divorce.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He deserves it, he has an outstanding name

My prediction. Carl Crawford is a Yankee next offseason, I dont give a fuck what it takes. Crawford, Granderson, Swisher (Maybe) in the outfield...infield of Tex, Cano, Jeter, Arod. FUCK AND YES!

Ehhhh, I could see Crawford on the Mets if they don't sign Bay this year. LOVE Crawford. Swisher on the other hand.....If ever in a dark alley. Weird fucked up shit I would do, just to haunt him the rest of his life. WALKING DOUCHEBAG, and it has nothing to do with World Series win and all to do with the faux hawk, and his feeling that he was an immediate contributor to those rings that will be received. Horrible player, can't stand him.
This discussion has been closed.