***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Honestly, I'm not going to make a comment or decision on this trade one way or another until it is finalized and all the details are released. All this speculation about who is or isn't coming and going makes no sense until the deal is done.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    edited December 2009
    good for the phils. they saved 9 millions bucks next year. and got an extra 6 mil from toronto apparently.

i dunno...i mean doc is a better pitcher than lee. that much is certain. but to think that we could have had both had it not for our self imposed salary cap is a little too hard to swallow for me. 73 sellouts last year, alternate jersey sales, higher ticket prices this year...and you can't spend an extra 10 million for just this next season...even if it means having a rotation for the ages??

Well, I think part of the reason is that the Phils didn't want to have the distinction of the highest payroll of a non Yankee team in history.

The record used to be 143 million by the 2007 Red Sox and then that was passed by the Mets last year at 149 million.

Also, if the Phils had both they would be very close to the luxury tax threshold if they added anyone in midseason which would be a 22.5% penalty on the Phils on their total payroll which would be in the ballpark of 35-40 million.
    Post edited by Solat13 on
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    Solat13 wrote:
    good for the phils. they saved 9 millions bucks next year. and got an extra 6 mil from toronto apparently.

i dunno...i mean doc is a better pitcher than lee. that much is certain. but to think that we could have had both had it not for our self imposed salary cap is a little too hard to swallow for me. 73 sellouts last year, alternate jersey sales, higher ticket prices this year...and you can't spend an extra 10 million for just this next season...even if it means having a rotation for the ages??

Well, I think part of the reason is that the Phils didn't want to have the distinction of the highest payroll or a non Yankee team in history.

The record used to be 143 million by the 2007 Red Sox and then that was passed by the Mets last year at 149 million.

Also, if the Phils had both they would be very close to the luxury tax threshold if they added anyone in midseason which would be a 22.5% penalty on the Phils on their total payroll which would be in the ballpark of 35-40 million.

THANK YOU. We're not the Yankees, and I no way in Hell want to be anything that closely resembles the Yankees.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Solat13 wrote:
    Well, I think part of the reason is that the Phils didn't want to have the distinction of the highest payroll or a non Yankee team in history.

That makes absolutely no sense. The phillies are going to make the team worse just so they don't pass some random payroll threshold. Come on. Your luxury tax statement is a much more compelling argument.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

That makes absolutely no sense. The phillies are going to make the team worse just so they don't pass some random payroll threshold. Come on. Your luxury tax statement is a much more compelling argument.

It's not like the Phils are not pulling in the money! They are going to be making even more next year, they have raised the season ticket prices and associated fees, as well as raised parking to $15. They got the money, just a matter of who gets it.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    I'll add that the Phils organization is probably being very cautious in its estimates of attendence and merchandise revenue for the upcoming season due to the economy. I mean they were truly surprised by the spike in attendence last season and don't want to count on that when figuring out payroll for the upcoming season.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

It's not like the Phils are not pulling in the money! They are going to be making even more next year, they have raised the season ticket prices and associated fees, as well as raised parking to $15. They got the money, just a matter of who gets it.

YES! And they jumped to ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY MILLION DOLLARS from $110 mil. That's quite a fucking jump. I feared the day Philly fans would become dirty New York fans. I guess that day is here. No one's ever satisfied. Fuck me.

We just got the best pitcher in the Majors through 2013 and people are fucking sulking. Ridiculous.
    YES! And they jumped to ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY MILLION DOLLARS from $110 mil. That's quite a fucking jump. I feared the day Philly fans would become dirty New York fans. I guess that day is here. No one's ever satisfied. Fuck me.

We just got the best pitcher in the Majors through 2013 and people are fucking sulking. Ridiculous.

I am a Yankees fan so I am not sulking in anything. Just making a statement that the Phillies not wanting to go above some payroll level because the only other team that has is the yankees is an absurd argument.

That is a hell of a jump and good for them. They can absolutely afford it and it is what they should do. They can also afford more than their $140 mil budget.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I am a Yankees fan so I am not sulking in anything. Just making a statement that the Phillies not wanting to go above some payroll level because the only other team that has is the yankees is an absurd argument.

That is a hell of a jump and good for them. They can absolutely afford it and it is what they should do. They can also afford more than their $140 mil budget.

I'm not talking about you. You're not a Phillies fan. I can't believe what I'm hearing on the radio today. Just fucking can't believe it. I wish this was more of a baseball city and people knew what they were talking about - I really do.

Martino summed it up best on why they couldn't get Doc, Lee, and Hamels in the same rotation. I guess people don't remember that it takes two - or more - to tango in a trade and that this isn't a video game. No one wanted to Joe Blanton for the money nor give up the prospects!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... today.html
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Solat13 wrote:

Well, I think part of the reason is that the Phils didn't want to have the distinction of the highest payroll of a non Yankee team in history.
    on.

why would this matter for one season? why? who cares? we'd be the odds on favorites to win the word series next year. would it bother you that our payroll shot up an extra 20 M for one season?
    www.myspace.com
    Some interesting reaction on MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/b ... tions.html

Seems like the consensus is that the Mariners made out the best, the Phillies did well and the Jays got robbed.

Felix and Lee in the same rotation is scary
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Seems like the consensus is that the Mariners made out the best, the Phillies did well and the Jays got robbed.

Yeah, that's gonna be nasty. Snell's not atrocious either.

I think the AL West is gonna be sexy next year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that's gonna be nasty. Snell's not atrocious either.

I think the AL West is gonna be sexy next year.

Yeah man, for sure. 3 legit teams. The Angels need some pitching though.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    as a jay/halladay fan - good luck and I hope you win a ring ... i can't stand philly/boston/new yorks sports fans but i respect you so much that if one of the big market teams are gonna win - i hope it's you ...

dude is all class and he's gonna battle for phils fans for the next few years
  • Left-hander Cliff Lee's agent stepped forward Tuesday to set the record straight: His client did not force his way out of Philadelphia by overreaching in contract negotiations.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN.com senior MLB writer Jayson Stark says that the Roy Halladay-Cliff Lee deal isn't done yet, but signs point to it happening in the next few days. Stark also explains why the Phillies made this deal and talks about the Red Sox signing John Lackey.

More Podcasts »

Lee, one of baseball premier starting pitchers, is on his way to Seattle as part of a blockbuster trade that will bring Roy Halladay to the Phillies. While Halladay has reportedly agreed to a guaranteed three-year, $60 million contract extension with two vesting options, numerous reports said the Phillies pursued the trade after failing to make any headway in contract talks with Lee.

Agent Darek Braunecker disputed the characterization of the talks, telling ESPN.com that he had three brief discussions with the Phillies "for a total of about an hour." Braunecker said length of contract and total dollars were discussed, but that he and Lee did not stake out a position or give the team an indication that Lee was unwilling to sign a long-term deal.

"At no point did we make any sort of financial demands," Braunecker said. "The negotiations were in the very preliminary stages. As recently as [Monday], both sides would have characterized the discussions as encouraging. Unfortunately, something transpired that we had no control over that dictated this move.

"What's being portrayed in the media is completely inaccurate -- that we presented something or the club thought our position was going to preclude them from being able to do a deal. We didn't get far enough down the road in negotiations to really [explore] the details."

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. didn't immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment. Halladay was in Philadelphia on Tuesday undergoing a physical, and signs point toward the trade becoming official by Wednesday.

Lee, 31, made a big impact in Philadelphia after coming over from Cleveland by trade in late July. He was 7-4 with a 3.39 ERA for the Phillies in August and September, and went 4-0 with a 1.56 ERA in the postseason. With Halladay on the verge of a new contract, Lee, Boston's Josh Beckett and Atlanta's Javier Vazquez will be the top free-agent starters on the market next winter.

Lee went 22-3 with a 2.54 ERA in Cleveland to win the American League Cy Young Award in 2008. Now he'll spend his free agent "platform year" back in the AL with Seattle.

"All I can say is, Cliff really enjoyed Philadelphia," Braunecker said. "Since the end of the postseason, his intent was to remain there beyond next season. That's been the goal. Unfortunately, some circumstances transpired that we couldn't control."

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com and ESPN Insider.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    polaris_x wrote:
    as a jay/halladay fan - good luck and I hope you win a ring ... i can't stand philly/boston/new yorks sports fans but i respect you so much that if one of the big market teams are gonna win - i hope it's you ...

dude is all class and he's gonna battle for phils fans for the next few years

thanks for playing...
    www.myspace.com
  • Lee's agent was just on with Mikey Miss

He said nothing is done yet and hasn't been told other wise

I hate to see Lee go...he was a friggin stud in the playoffs

This self imposed salary cap is getting annoying

We're not the Yank-mees but I see no problem with having Lee here another year and adding Halladay

Stop crying poor mouth Phillies the place has been sold-out and we have back to back runs to the WS

If you wanna play with the big boys you have to spend with the big boys you can't have it both ways
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Lee's agent was just on with Mikey Miss

We're not the Yank-mees but I see no problem with having Lee here another year and adding Halladay

Stop crying poor mouth Phillies the place has been sold-out and we have back to back runs to the WS

If you wanna play with the big boys you have to spend with the big boys you can't have it both ways

Here's my problem with this line of thought: at some point the revenue from the ballpark and merchandise is going to level out or drop off. Now if the Phils say fuck it lets spend $160 mil this year, then turn around and can only spend $140 next year, thereby having to forego resigning or renegotiating someone's contract (J-Roll, Werth, whoever) then what will the fans say??? I mean the Phils are looking to pick up a top 3 pitcher in ALL of baseball and lock him up for at least 4 years... that's HUGE. With the lineup they have and the offense the team can put up over the next couple of seasons (until some contracts come up for renewal, Howard's at the top of that list) I see no reason to complain other than the sheer fact that as fans, we're greedy.

But I'd rather have Doc and Hamels for a couple of years with this offensive team, then to have Doc, Hamels and Lee with it costing a position player or two next year. I could just see what would happen if the Phils inflate their salary threshold this year and then pull back abit over the next two years before Howard becomes a FA, and then not be able to resign him... the fans would go nuts.

Admin

chromiam wrote:

Here's my problem with this line of thought: at some point the revenue from the ballpark and merchandise is going to level out or drop off. Now if the Phils say fuck it lets spend $160 mil this year, then turn around and can only spend $140 next year, thereby having to forego resigning or renegotiating someone's contract (J-Roll, Werth, whoever) then what will the fans say??? I mean the Phils are looking to pick up a top 3 pitcher in ALL of baseball and lock him up for at least 4 years... that's HUGE. With the lineup they have and the offense the team can put up over the next couple of seasons (until some contracts come up for renewal, Howard's at the top of that list) I see no reason to complain other than the sheer fact that as fans, we're greedy.

But I'd rather have Doc and Hamels for a couple of years with this offensive team, then to have Doc, Hamels and Lee with it costing a position player or two next year. I could just see what would happen if the Phils inflate their salary threshold this year and then pull back abit over the next two years before Howard becomes a FA, and then not be able to resign him... the fans would go nuts.

The most sense I've heard here today.

The Phils payroll was 5th this year and even with trading Lee it projects to be 2nd or 3rd. So they are spending with the big boys.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11

If we dont offer Blanton arbiration we would save close to 7million,Lee makes 9million halladay is making 15plus this yr but toronto is gonna pay 6million of his salary. If u add them 2 up the phillies would be paying roughly 18 million for lee and halladay in 2010. Next year they both will make 20 plus,so you won't pay 18mill for one yr and have them both in the staff. Sea isnt giving any players to toronto and if lee walks next year we would get 2 1st picks in the future. Seems pretty simple to me keep the 2 studs for 1 year and win another world series. Why in the world they set a 140 max cap,when if u keep the 2 you make even more money in attendance and merchandise. And the 4 lefty arguetment goes out the door because lee is a lefty and kills all hitters righty or lefty and if cole is cole from 2yrs ago then u have 3 #1 pitchers and happ and moyer.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Solat13 wrote:

The Phils payroll was 5th this year and even with trading Lee it projects to be 2nd or 3rd. So they are spending with the big boys.

Then why not keep Lee ?

You would know better than I but didn't we just shed the salaries of Eaton,Myers and Thome ?

Isn't that enought money to keep Lee here for 1 more year at $9mil ?

• chromiam wrote:

I hear what you're saying but what IF we got another ring by keeping Lee and adding Halladay ?

Like I responded in the other post we shed some hefty cash recently I believe so $9mil for one year isn't going to kill anything

I still think we're in the same boat as needing a soild starter not a number 1 per se or bullpen help even if we trade Lee..where is that money coming from ?

chromiam wrote:

I hear what you're saying but what IF we got another ring by keeping Lee and adding Halladay ?

Like I responded in the other post we shed some hefty cash recently I believe so $9mil for one year isn't going to kill anything

I still think we're in the same boat as needing a soild starter not a number 1 per se or bullpen help even if we trade Lee..where is that money coming from ?

That's the thing. They still need to spend money on a solid reliever.
    Then why not keep Lee ?

You would know better than I but didn't we just shed the salaries of Eaton,Myers and Thome ?

Isn't that enought money to keep Lee here for 1 more year at $9mil ?

Myers 12 mil, Eaton's 8.8 and Jenkins 6.75 are off the books. the Phils only paid like 1.5 on Thome last year and still owe Jenkins 1.25 and Eaton 500k as well as Feliz 500k this year.

That money is already up because Howard went up 4 mil, Utley went up 4 mil, Raul went up 3, Hamels went up 2, Werth went up 5, and Madson went up 2.5. Polanco signed for 5.5 this year and when you add in the bench signings (Schneider, Gload, Castro, etc.) - the Phils have already spent the money they saved from expiring contracts.

Plus they still have to formulate a bullpen and deal with arbitration with Victorino, Blanton, Durbin and Ruiz.

The Phils are at 117 million right now without going to arb (Victorino should get around 7 and Blanton 8) and you factor in the bullpen and if you resign Eyre or Park, you are at the 140 mil mark.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Plus with trading for Halladay you have given up 7 of your top 10 prospects for 2 pitchers and an OF in return. One of the pitchers will be gone at the end of the season, the Phils need to replensh the farm system and a first rounder and a conditional pick next season won't cut it.

Great article explaining why Lee had to be traded.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1215 ... d-halladay

Admin

If we dont offer Blanton arbiration we would save close to 7million,Lee makes 9million halladay is making 15plus this yr but toronto is gonna pay 6million of his salary. If u add them 2 up the phillies would be paying roughly 18 million for lee and halladay in 2010. Next year they both will make 20 plus,so you won't pay 18mill for one yr and have them both in the staff. Sea isnt giving any players to toronto and if lee walks next year we would get 2 1st picks in the future. Seems pretty simple to me keep the 2 studs for 1 year and win another world series. Why in the world they set a 140 max cap,when if u keep the 2 you make even more money in attendance and merchandise. And the 4 lefty arguetment goes out the door because lee is a lefty and kills all hitters righty or lefty and if cole is cole from 2yrs ago then u have 3 #1 pitchers and happ and moyer.

I agree

You're looking at possibly winning 2 WS Titles in 3 years

You can't pass this up IMO

I wonder how much Gillick is involved in all this he spent time as GM in each city

The real mistake was signing Moyer last year due to fan pressure. If Moyer and his 7 million dollar salary wasn't here right now, the Phils wouldn't have had to trade either Blanton or Lee.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • Solat13 wrote:

The real mistake was signing Moyer last year due to fan pressure. If Moyer and his 7 million dollar salary wasn't here right now, the Phils wouldn't have had to trade either Blanton or Lee.

Looks bad now for sure. I really think Drabek is gonna be a stud he hurts to lose. I wish we could give them phillippe instead of drabek.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

you can't add halladay without giving up something ... without trying to sound facetious - it's a trade ... the phils were not willing to give up enough prospects so - in order to get halladay and keep lee - they would have to give up some of their hotter prospects which they weren't keen on doing ...
This discussion has been closed.