***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    seeing that figgins got just 3 mil more/year than polanco from seattle. i now feel even worse about this deal. the guy's 4 years younger and can lead off too. i wonder why we didn't get in the mix for him?

Yeah, 3 mil more per yer over 4 years. In actuality is 12 million more. Thank you, but no thank you, I'll spend that on pitchers.

you could do that regardless with the bank they are pulling in down there.

i would've done it. i would have at least gotten in the mix. who knows, he may have taken slightly less to play for a world championship caliber team.
    www.myspace.com
  • seeing that figgins got just 3 mil more/year than polanco from seattle. i now feel even worse about this deal. the guy's 4 years younger and can lead off too. i wonder why we didn't get in the mix for him?

Yeah, 3 mil more per yer over 4 years. In actuality is 12 million more. Thank you, but no thank you, I'll spend that on pitchers.

so what pitchers are even available right now? I don't follow baseball closely enough in the off-season to know what's going on.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    I'm not sayin'....but I'm just sayin'...

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ne ... p&c_id=phi

EDIT: Alright, look, I'm OBSESSED with this topic - I really am. I'd give up anything but Drabek. Put Blanton in the trade that way you can alleviate some payroll concerns too. Then, sign him or Lee to a long term deal. Doc WANTS to play here, which really blows my mind more than anything - what with being accustomed to a loser all these years. And the Phils' spring training is 5 minutes from his home. Is it realistic? Probably not, but we can dream can't we?
    I'm not sayin'....but I'm just sayin'...

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ne ... p&c_id=phi

EDIT: Alright, look, I'm OBSESSED with this topic - I really am. I'd give up anything but Drabek. Put Blanton in the trade that way you can alleviate some payroll concerns too. Then, sign him or Lee to a long term deal. Doc WANTS to play here, which really blows my mind more than anything - what with being accustomed to a loser all these years. And the Phils' spring training is 5 minutes from his home. Is it realistic? Probably not, but we can dream can't we?
    anyone but drabek (and hamels)

DO IT!!
    www.myspace.com
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I really didn't think it would be a possibility this offseason, but it seems more and more that this could become a reality. Latest rumors have Happ & Taylor or Brown for Doc.

Trying not to get ahead of myself, but this could be the best 1 & 2 we've had in a rotation ever. :P
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    PJSerf wrote:
    I really didn't think it would be a possibility this offseason, but it seems more and more that this could become a reality. Latest rumors have Happ & Taylor or Brown for Doc.

Trying not to get ahead of myself, but this could be the best 1 & 2 we've had in a rotation ever. :P

I know they want Happ too, but I wouldn't think they would have a problem with Blanton as well. And I think Blanton would HAVE to be moved for this to even be a thought. Ruben's already talking that they're pretty much at their limit and still need to pay arbitration and get bullpen help. Though the front office has said in the past that they'll go above their means to pay someone who is worth the money(ie Thome). And it looks like the thinking is to wait out and see if the Yanks and BoSox fall out of the running so that the asking price drops. If those two teams - NOT the Angels - fall to the wayside then I see this as an actual possibility.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    And gold gloves don't gauge anything. they are more a popularity contest than anything else. Like I said, Palmeiro once won a GG by playing something like 20 games in the field (he DH'd almost every game that year).

Do you think Feliz has good range? he catches what is hit to him, but his range is average.

Bottom line, the phils upgraded the overall 3B position, even if they take a slight hit on defense (which I don't think they will).

Not trying to start a pissing contest here, just saying the team made a good decision by letting Feliz go.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

well you kinda are starting a pissing contest because on the surface we agree :lol: . i have said this is an overal upgrade....just not a huge one. and not one i would have made.

when you have 81 rbis batting behind guys who have 100+ rbis (meaning often times he is up after those guys have cleared the bases), and you bat over .300 with runners in scoring position (traditionally one of this team's weaknesses)...i just dont think anyone with any semblance of baseball knowledge can call him "downright terrible." you can use as many exclamation points as you'd like :mrgreen: . the fact remains the guy was pretty clutch for this team out of the 7th hole.

and i agree with you on the gold glove point. i don't know who you are arguing with there, but it's not me. all i said was that he is gold glove worthy and not overrated since he never won one. feliz is one of the better defensive 3rd basemen in the leauge. yes he has good range. again, anyone with any semblance of baseball knowledge can see that just by watching him play.

but again, like i said...i think we both agree that this is a pretty good move. not great. i just think you devalued what his defense has meant to this team over the past 2 seasons and ignored the fact that he was serviceable out of the 7th hole... on an already potent lineup.[/quote]

hitting after guys with 100+ RBI doesn't mean the bases are empty...look at the OBP of the guys hitting ahead of Feliz. most are above average, which means they are on base when he came up. the dude was an automatic out in the playoffs

I really don't feel like debating this further. You obviously thought Feliz was better than I did (I didn't hate him, he was decent...I'm surely not upset to see him leave)...and we both agree that polanco is an upgrade.
    PJSerf wrote:

I wouldn't trade brown either. RF is his next year when werth leaves.

I thought this was a pipe dream at the beginning of the week...still a long shot, but I guess there is a slight chance
    PJSerf wrote:

I know they want Happ too, but I wouldn't think they would have a problem with Blanton as well. And I think Blanton would HAVE to be moved for this to even be a thought. Ruben's already talking that they're pretty much at their limit and still need to pay arbitration and get bullpen help. Though the front office has said in the past that they'll go above their means to pay someone who is worth the money(ie Thome). And it looks like the thinking is to wait out and see if the Yanks and BoSox fall out of the running so that the asking price drops. If those two teams - NOT the Angels - fall to the wayside then I see this as an actual possibility.

yanks don't have many ML ready prospects to deal (especially after moving Austin Jackson in the granderson trade). apparently the angels have already made a trade proposal...the red sox are in the mix...but the phils are halladay's first choice.

I'd trade happ in a heartbeat. I'm not a big fan. I know he has lots of value because he is cheap, so the phils are probably more likely motivated to move blanton.

I'd see if toronto bit on a package of blanton, taylor, savery, and may
    So obsessed that I actually had a dream last night that we landed him for Happ, Blanton, and Taylor. I woke up thinking, "Sweet!" And then I realized this was real life.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Via MLBTR

One baseball source tells Tom Verducci of SI.com that the Phillies have been "very aggressive" in their efforts to obtain Halladay. Apparently the Phils are trying to find the players the Blue Jays want, even if that means looking on other teams.
    edited December 2009
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Via MLBTR

One baseball source tells Tom Verducci of SI.com that the Phillies have been "very aggressive" in their efforts to obtain Halladay. Apparently the Phils are trying to find the players the Blue Jays want, even if that means looking on other teams.

That's what I was thinking. The best way for the Phils to make this happen would be to involve another team as to alleviate the Blanton salary and not give up the farm.

And apparently Halladay has been on Amaro's radar, and been making a plan to acquire him, since he was an assistant GM in the summer of '08 - http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_ ... feedID=693

EDIT: There there's this article that could rreeeeally give Phillies fans a big head...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,424
    trying not to get my hopes up for Halladay - don't want to be let down. Holy jeez if we get Halladay though - wow can you say unbeatable in the NL.
    from buster olney's blog today. best blog on the internet (he gets the most accurate rumors)...I make sure I read it every day. This news is disconcerting.

Heard this: The Jays' asking price for Roy Halladay, in their negotiations with the Phillies, is about the same as it was before the July 31 trade deadline, when Toronto essentially insisted upon a package of Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ, outfielder Dominic Brown and others. Whether Toronto has more flexibility now remains to be seen.
  • I would love Roy,but i can't see Philly giving up more then the angles are offering. Thats a pretty good package and toronto says they want 5 players there insane. if they get off the crazy cloud there on maybe we have a chance until then we have no chance.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    from buster olney's blog today. best blog on the internet (he gets the most accurate rumors)...I make sure I read it every day. This news is disconcerting.

Heard this: The Jays' asking price for Roy Halladay, in their negotiations with the Phillies, is about the same as it was before the July 31 trade deadline, when Toronto essentially insisted upon a package of Kyle Drabek, J.A. Happ, outfielder Dominic Brown and others. Whether Toronto has more flexibility now remains to be seen.

I really think this may play out like the Santana trade and we end up having a good shot at getting him. I don't put too much stock into the thought that Halladay doesn't accept a trade during the season, but at the same time I don't think Anaheim gives up as much as being reported to get him because that would leave the rest of their team depleted(no Saunders, no Lackey) to be a viable competitor for a championship. I think onces all these talks go down, I think you'll see TO lower their asking price a bit and Philly get a 3rd party involved to get the deal done. I don't think it would go reported that Ruben's been mapping out a plan to land Doc since he was an asst. GM in the summer of '08 without going through every scenario possible.
    The Fixer wrote:

I really think this may play out like the Santana trade and we end up having a good shot at getting him. I don't put too much stock into the thought that Halladay doesn't accept a trade during the season, but at the same time I don't think Anaheim gives up as much as being reported to get him because that would leave the rest of their team depleted(no Saunders, no Lackey) to be a viable competitor for a championship. I think onces all these talks go down, I think you'll see TO lower their asking price a bit and Philly get a 3rd party involved to get the deal done. I don't think it would go reported that Ruben's been mapping out a plan to land Doc since he was an asst. GM in the summer of '08 without going through every scenario possible.

Apparently the Angels management deny making that proposal. And I read that RAJ has been inquiring about what players on other teams that toronto would be interested in. Sounds like he is covering all of his bases and trying to make this happen.

I agree about the deadline halladay set. Like he wouldn't accept a trade to a contender around memorial day, when the jays are already 10 games behind the yanks/sox.

toronto's new GM will be under the gun to make something happen. he will get shredded if the trade deadline comes and goes and he doesn't make a deal. I feel like time is on the phils side...there is mutual interest and plenty of time to get something done. I just wish it would happen today, haha
    sign smoltz
    The Fixer wrote:
    sign smoltz

no. please don't.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    sign smoltz

no. please don't.

If it's a subsequent move from acquiring Doc. Then, yes, please.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    sign smoltz
    can't hurt do it.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    sign smoltz
    can't hurt do it.

he's got nothing left.

but if it somehow means they will obtain doc though, then sign him. i'm not sure how that would work though.
    www.myspace.com
    So Lackey's apparently taking a physical with Boston, and we all know what that pretty much means. Now the fire is under Anaheim's ass to trade for Doc. We better hope that the fire lights under Amaro's ass a little more.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I read this today...

Aces Lee, Halladay in same deal? It could work
    Foxsports.com columnist Ken Rosenthal

You want a blockbuster? How about one that includes not one, but two former Cy Young Award winners?

I have no proof that the Phillies are trying to move left-hander Cliff Lee as part of a three- or four-team trade for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay.

But I've got a hunch.

We know the Phillies preferred Halladay to Lee last July. We know they are one of his top choices, an East Coast team that trains close to his home in Dunedin, Fla. And we know from published reports that Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. met last week with Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, about a possible contract extension.

I'm guessing that discussion did not go well.

Both Lee, 31, and Halladay, 32, are free agents after next season. Halladay likely will require a contract extension to waive his no-trade clause. Perfect! By exchanging Lee for Halladay, the Phillies would ensure that they gain long-term control of an ace — Halladay, the one they wanted all along.

So, here's the deal: Lee goes somewhere for prospects. The Phillies include the prospects in their package for Halladay, maybe keep one or two for themselves. Halladay gets his extension, the Jays get a bounty of young players and some lucky team gets Lee for one year at his bargain salary of $9 million.

We know the Jays are entertaining three- and four-team scenarios involving Halladay; their new general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, confirmed that to Toronto-area reporters last week.
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
    petrocs wrote:
    I read this today...

Aces Lee, Halladay in same deal? It could work
    Foxsports.com columnist Ken Rosenthal

You want a blockbuster? How about one that includes not one, but two former Cy Young Award winners?

I have no proof that the Phillies are trying to move left-hander Cliff Lee as part of a three- or four-team trade for Blue Jays right-hander Roy Halladay.

But I've got a hunch.

We know the Phillies preferred Halladay to Lee last July. We know they are one of his top choices, an East Coast team that trains close to his home in Dunedin, Fla. And we know from published reports that Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. met last week with Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, about a possible contract extension.

I'm guessing that discussion did not go well.

Both Lee, 31, and Halladay, 32, are free agents after next season. Halladay likely will require a contract extension to waive his no-trade clause. Perfect! By exchanging Lee for Halladay, the Phillies would ensure that they gain long-term control of an ace — Halladay, the one they wanted all along.

So, here's the deal: Lee goes somewhere for prospects. The Phillies include the prospects in their package for Halladay, maybe keep one or two for themselves. Halladay gets his extension, the Jays get a bounty of young players and some lucky team gets Lee for one year at his bargain salary of $9 million.

We know the Jays are entertaining three- and four-team scenarios involving Halladay; their new general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, confirmed that to Toronto-area reporters last week.

I'm not floored by this strategy. I would try my best to make a 3 way trade including Blanton without Lee. Go one year with a stellar rotation of Doc, Lee, Hamels at the front end, sign Doc long-term, and at the end of the season offer Lee arbitration which he will decline. Subsequently, the Phil will receive two 1st round draft picks from whom ever signs Cliff.
  • We need re-sign Lee period,there's no way in hell i trade or let him walk. Roy is a pipe dream that i don't think about anymore because it's not happening.
    Go Birds!!!!
    We need re-sign Lee period,there's no way in hell i trade or let him walk. Roy is a pipe dream that i don't think about anymore because it's not happening.

IF......IF we did acquire Doc then you let Lee walk at the end of the year, of course. And of course, if you can't get Doc, then sure, keep Clifton.
    looks like we might end up trading lee:

Halladay and agent in Philadelphia
    Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay and his agent have checked into a Philadelphia-area hotel, according to two Inquirer sources.

It is not known if a trade sending Halladay to the Phillies is imminent, but if Halladay and the Phils are negotiating--as is indicated by the pitcher's presence in Philadelphia--that would suggest that the Phils and Blue Jays are far enough along in talks for Halladay to discuss a potential contract extension with the Phils. Halladay has one year remaining on his contract before becoming a free agent.

The Phils have long been linked to Halladay, and were actively involved in trade talks last July, before the team acquired lefthander Cliff Lee from Cleveland.
    UPDATE, 3:04-- The plot thickens: Foxsports.com has added that the Phils are in talks regading a potential three-team deal that would send lefthander Cliff Lee to an unnamed club. This makes sense for a number of reasons:

--Lee is owed $9 million next year, and the Phils need to clear payroll to sign Halladay.

--Lee will be a free agent after this season, and if he tests the open market the Phils would find it difficult to re-sign him, given their already robust payroll.

--Acquiring Lee may net the Phils some of the prospects requried to complete a deal, without having to give up players like pitcher J.A. Happ and Kyle Drabek, outfielders Domonic Brown, Michael Taylor and Anthony Gose.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    edited December 2009
    He's in Town !!!!

Twitter Halladay in Twitter.com. It's all over the place.

Halladay and his agent are here !!!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    well doc and his agent are reportedly in Philly right now... so who knows what's going down. I can see trading for him and trading Lee to a 3rd team in order to have the salary space as well as not depleting the farm system. Will it happen is anyone's guess.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
This discussion has been closed.