***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    we are going around in circles. the RBIs are a product of the lineup giving him chances.

Look at Adrian Gonzalez's RBI totals with SD. You think he is better than howard right? well, his RBI totals weren't close to howards. Why? because he didn't have as many opportunities on a shitty team.

It's not rocket science. They more opportunities a guy gets, the more RBI he will have. It's all about guys in frnt of him getting on base and giving him chances.

RBI should be a team stat

This will be my last comment until it's brought back up again which we both know it will. I understand that not all Rbi's are a solo stat but in the same sense sometimes they are. Solo hr's or knocking in a guy from 1st count just as much as a sac fly or single with a man on 2nd.

A-Gonz is a better all around player then Howard i agree on that. Where i disagree about Rbi's being overrated is this especially with this lineup. Does he have the most chances apparently he does,but when u have Ibanez or Francisco hitting behind of course your gonna fail more. He dosen't get shit to hit and thus swings at shit because he feels he has to try cause he knows the slop after him won't. So that alone imo makes the most chances theory completely worthless. And if he fails so much and rbi's are over rated how come the Phillies 5-6 hole hitters rbi's aren't higher then? If they were easy to do and Howard fails more then anyone how come the next hitter's total is extremely low? By that it shows that even hitting that sac fly or single isn't that easy or others in are lineup or other teams lineups would have alot higher totals.

phils 5/6 hitters have been mostly platoon guys this year. ibanez is the exception and his RBI totals are low mainly because he sucks in general.

the lineup protection stuff is nonsense too. barry bonds never had a problem with pedro feliz hitting behind him. pujols never had a problem with a washed up jim edmonds behind him. I don't even know who hit behind adrian gonzalez last year.[/quote]

So what that is been a platoon if you say that Rbi's are easy to get or over rated by the attempts one gets. You make my point actually and discredit yours by saying that. Go look at Feliz's #'s from 03-07 behind Bonds pretty damn good for a 5th hole hitter. Pujulos had numerous guys put up really good #'s after him go look. Plus your comparing Howard to the biggiest cheat in the game and maybe the 2nd best hitter ever. My point is it's far from easy to get them totals and only the really great players in the games history can put them #'s up that long. And doing it with slop behind u makes his total this year even more impressive.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Also what do u think Howards #'s would be in boston with that lineup? He'd hit close to 300 and hit 50 and 150rbi's. With that short porch and how he hits the ball opp field he'd go nuts with that protection all around him.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Also what do u think Howards #'s would be in boston with that lineup? He'd hit close to 300 and hit 50 and 150rbi's. With that short porch and how he hits the ball opp field he'd go nuts with that protection all around him.

howard would hit 300????? :lol::lol::lol:

it's not like philly is tough to hit bombs in dude. cbp is kinda a joke in that respect (lots of parks are in todays' game).
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Jesus, I got sucked back in. Pedro Feliz hit .254/.291/.444 over that time frame. That is good?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jesus, I got sucked back in. Pedro Feliz hit .254/.291/.444 over that time frame. That is good?
    Not talkn avg 16-48 in 95 games 22-84 in 144 20-81 in 156 22-98 in 160 and 20-72 in 150 for a guy hittn behind the guy who put together 5 of the best season EVER thats pretty damn productive isn't it?
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited July 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not talkn avg 16-48 in 95 games 22-84 in 144 20-81 in 156 22-98 in 160 and 20-72 in 150 for a guy hittn behind the guy who put together 5 of the best season EVER thats pretty damn productive isn't it?

What are those numbers?

Edit: Oh jesus, home runs and RBI. I don't even know what to say. Please begin to look at different numbers. And no, it is not all that productive at all when you have a guy getting on base over 50% of the time ahead of you.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why howard has to swing at bad pitches because the guys behind him aren't good.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why howard has to swing at bad pitches because the guys behind him aren't good.
    Seriously???? Pressure to produce when your a top 3 paid guy in the game maybe. Or how about being a power hitter in general with a mentality that i have to get this shit done. JUST GET ME TO THE PLATE says it all. If you know your gettn paid to drive in runs which we can all agree he is. How wouldn't he have added pressure to swing more often when he knows ibanez and fransicso are hittn behind him. He becomes Overally aggressive to make up for the slop after him.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Seriously???? Pressure to produce when your a top 3 paid guy in the game maybe. Or how about being a power hitter in general with a mentality that i have to get this shit done. JUST GET ME TO THE PLATE says it all. If you know your gettn paid to drive in runs which we can all agree he is. How wouldn't he have added pressure to swing more often when he knows ibanez and fransicso are hittn behind him. He becomes Overally aggressive to make up for the slop after him.

wow. just wow. this thread has reached a new low
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes, Ryan Howard has the weight of the world on his shoulders. I have no idea how he sleeps at night knowing the people batting behind him. He knows he has to swing at everything otherwise the Phillies won't have a chance to win a game this year. And yes, he sees dollar signs coming at him reminding of him of the size of his contract on every pitch.
    Wow i guess i person taking pride in his job is wrong or goes unnoticed by u too. I don't see how a rational person can't understand that point. Drugs are bad don't let them rot ur brain!!! :roll:
    Go Birds!!!!
    Wow i guess i person taking pride in his job is wrong or goes unnoticed by u too. I don't see how a rational person can't understand that point. Drugs are bad don't let them rot ur brain!!! :roll:

Not that Ryan Howard doesn't take pride in his game, I am sure he does, but wouldn't taking pride mean going up to the plate and having better at bats rather than swinging at shit. You know, working to get better at what he does
    I'm out before I get yelled at by Jeags and Johnny. I'll just say, the logic is just incredible these past few days.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    :roll:

Can't wait to see this lineup flail at knuckleballs all night. Great way to start the 2nd half. :evil:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    i feel like tossing this computer, and this thread, out the window.

good god people! :lol:
    www.myspace.com

I really try to bite my tongue, not the other day, but most of the time. I was good until it was stated that Pedro Feliz was a good 5 hitter.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not that Ryan Howard doesn't take pride in his game, I am sure he does, but wouldn't taking pride mean going up to the plate and having better at bats rather than swinging at shit. You know, working to get better at what he does
    At your job if u are the guy who makes more money then your other co-workers. And u have a deadline to meet and your fellow employees aren't as good as you. Do u try and make up for them cause your getting paid more and are just plain the better option at meeting that deadline. Or do u say fuck it let them pick up the slack knowing that the best way for the goal to be meet is that YOU step up and try and do more. Cause if you fail to meet the deadline the the boss gets pissed and changes might occur.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I really try to bite my tongue, not the other day, but most of the time. I was good until it was stated that Pedro Feliz was a good 5 hitter.
    He was productive for SF those 4 1/2 years. The fixer brought him up and averaging 21 and 87 isn't bad at all for a 5 hole hitter batting behind Bonds.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha - :lol:

That was a good one. Sometimes I feel sick for agreeing with certain people on here.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha - :lol:

That was a good one. Sometimes I feel sick for agreeing with certain people on here.
    He sucked here i agree but in Sf he was a productive 5 hole hitter. Reread the last 2 pages and besides the feliz shit tell me how what i'm saying dosen't make sense.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

At your job if u are the guy who makes more money then your other co-workers. And u have a deadline to meet and your fellow employees aren't as good as you. Do u try and make up for them cause your getting paid more and are just plain the better option at meeting that deadline. Or do u say fuck it let them pick up the slack knowing that the best way for the goal to be meet is that YOU step up and try and do more. Cause if you fail to meet the deadline the the boss gets pissed and changes might occur.

But in your comparsion to Ryan Howard swinging out of the zone, it's not just trying to do more, it is trying to do more and doing it poorly. So if that is the question, then no I would not do a worse job to meet a deadline and make up for other people. I never have and won't.

This doesn't make sense though. Ryan Howard doesn't swing at shitty pitches because of pressure created by his lineup, he swings at shitty pitches because he has a bad eye and has always has.

reading this thread really is self inflicted torture (yes, I'm guilty as well)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He was productive for SF those 4 1/2 years. The fixer brought him up and averaging 21 and 87 isn't bad at all for a 5 hole hitter batting behind Bonds.

On what planet is a .254 average and .291 OBP good? My sister could hit 87 RBI batting behind someone who gets on base over 50% of the time over a 5 year period.
    the jammin all stars now include the following

dan uggla, jorge cantu, ryan howard, pedro feliz, zach duke.

EGADS!! :o
    On what planet is a .254 average and .291 OBP good? My sister could hit 87 RBI batting behind someone who gets on base over 50% of the time over a 5 year period.[/quote]

Not if that guy was only making a little on 2 mill over that stretch. Your paying a guy on avg for 5yrs only 2 mill and he's hittn 20 and 80 thats a bargain.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Not if that guy was only making a little on 2 mill over that stretch. Your paying a guy on avg for 5yrs only 2 mill and he's hittn 20 and 80 thats a bargain.

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. So now you can use a contract to prove a point?
    The Fixer wrote:
    the jammin all stars now include the following

dan uggla, jorge cantu, ryan howard, pedro feliz, zach duke.

EGADS!! :o

:lol::lol:

I had to google EGADS.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dude like i've said over and over HOWARDS OVER PAID but he produces. he's not making a ton of money and sucking balls all year big diff.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Dude like i've said over and over HOWARDS OVER PAID but he produces. he's not making a ton of money and sucking balls all year big diff.

Then I guess we agree to an extent.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

nope, he waits for the playoffs to suck balls
This discussion has been closed.