***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    pjhawks wrote:

I feel like he's contradicting himself. So both by his eyes and those crazy stats Chase Utley is a great player? I'm missing something. Because he just said with his "eyes" Utley isn't as good as Howard, but now with his "eyes" he is? This is on a whole 'nother level.

you confused posts between cliffy and i.

No, actually I haven't.
    pjhawks wrote:

wait so actually seeing someone play has no baring on what you think about a guy? jeezus really, seriously? you can tell a lot about a player watching, you know like who is a nut job and who plays the game the right way. you could argue chase utley is the ultimate value of seeing somone with your own eyes. he does things you have to see not read in a fucking book or a chart.

ughh it's like talking to school children. where at any point did i say utley was better than howard? all i said was that i'd rather have howard up in a big spot, and chase's value is best viewed by your open eyes than a chart or stats. i never said that chase was more valuable but just that he is a guy who is best viewed as opposed to read off a chart. Understand or do we need to go back to summer school for comprehension?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,983
    I can't believe you went to St. Joe's. I really can't.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    pjhawks wrote:
    ughh it's like talking to school children. where at any point did i say utley was better than howard? all i said was that i'd rather have howard up in a big spot, and chase's value is best viewed by your open eyes than a chart or stats. i never said that chase was more valuable but just that he is a guy who is best viewed as opposed to read off a chart. Understand or do we need to go back to summer school for comprehension?

Conversly, from 2008 through 2010, Chase Utley has been the 2nd best player in baseball in terms of WAR, and the most valuable in terms of comparing WAR to his salary. So no, he is actually better by charts.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    Is that SI issue on stands right now?

And how 'bout that Carlos Ruiz... ;)

i believe so. chooch is the man.

hey i hear there's a chance of rain tonight. that should be good for my crops. yup. feels like rain.
    www.myspace.com
    edited July 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Conversly, from 2008 through 2010, Chase Utley has been the 2nd best player in baseball in terms of WAR, and the most valuable in terms of comparing WAR to his salary. So no, he is actually better by charts.

thanks for proving my point that war and charts are bullshit 8-) even chase's wife wouldn't argue that he has been the 2nd best player in baseball over the past 3 years
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

And "eyes".
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,388

:lol:

My reading comprehension seems to have gotten a lot worse very recently... :?

How about Doc giving Chooch all those presents - that choked me up. So awesome.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

dude--why didn't go all nuts like this on neillybabes when he claimed cc was the best pitcher in the league based on his number of wins a few days ago in the yankess thread? i'm pretty sure he's an rbi guy too. go fill up pages and pages of that thread with arguments for arguments sake :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    edited July 2011

:lol:

My reading comprehension seems to have gotten a lot worse very recently... :?

How about Doc giving Chooch all those presents - that choked me up. So awesome.

Contractions are okay!

You got choked up? All I know is I hope Chooch fulfills that promise.

EDIT: Oh. Right. Temple guy.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

dude--why didn't go all nuts like this on neillybabes when he claimed cc was the best pitcher in the league based on his number of wins a few days ago in the yankess thread? i'm pretty sure he's an rbi guy too. go fill up pages and pages of that thread with arguments for arguments sake :lol:

I was near death on Sunday. I couldn't respond, saw it and couldn't. I just kicked my hangover from Saturday night this morning.
    Plus, Jeags, you do remember Neils is a Yankee and Lakers fan? Is an argument needed?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was near death on Sunday. I couldn't respond, saw it and couldn't. I just kicked my hangover from Saturday night this morning.

...something tells me you wouldn't have cared either way. ;)

but yeah, getting old sucks. i'm on a minimum of 2 days recovery time now.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

thanks for proving my point that war and charts are bullshit 8-) even chase's wife wouldn't argue that he has been the 2nd best player in baseball over the past 3 years

I disagree. There not not many players in baseball that have been that consistently good for all three of those years. If you look at 2007-2009, its probably even better.
    Plus, Jeags, you do remember Neils is a Yankee and Lakers fan? Is an argument needed?

...and a unc fan :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

I would make note that I don't think wins are a good representation of a pitchers ability, especially CCs since he has the highest run support in the game this year. But the difference is,it wouldn't turn into this.

...and a unc fan :mrgreen:

Like I said...

The best part is when he was slurping Cliff Lee HARD last year and up until the point that the Phils signed him. And now he ain't shit. Wants nothing to do with ol' Clifton. :lol:
    Contractions are okay!

I'm getting like Dick Vermeil in my old age. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Contractions are okay!

I think it's the baby making. All of a sudden there is a God, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, etc. etc. I figured.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would make note that I don't think wins are a good representation of a pitchers ability, especially CCs since he has the highest run support in the game this year. But the difference is,it wouldn't turn into this.

point is, you looked for this today ;)
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

On the contrary, I saw the Deadspin article and there was no way I could pass up posting that, so I somewhat looked for it.

And yeah, that hangover was bad. Nothing like it. Sunday night when I went to sleep, I thought there was a 50-50 chance I would never wake up again.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

On the contrary, I saw the Deadspin article and there was no way I could pass up posting that, so I somewhat looked for it.

And yeah, that hangover was bad. Nothing like it. Sunday night when I went to sleep, I thought there was a 50-50 chance I would never wake up again.

no. you saw the deadspin article and knew you get mr hawk's panties in a bunch. at least be honest :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    no. you saw the deadspin article and knew you get mr hawk's panties in a bunch. at least be honest :lol:

That I can get behind. But, at the same time, why the hell not? It's totally worth it.
    Contractions are okay!

I think it's the baby making. All of a sudden there is a God, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, etc. etc. I figured.

I know, so emotional to have a 9-month old trying to gouge my eyes out. :lol:

Inside Job was so emotional that 448th time I heard it. :?

Actually, I saw the deadspin article and thought, wow, this is a good write up on why RBI are not a good representation of a players ability, perhaps I will post it so hopefully it will click with my good friends in the Phillies thread who I often politely disagree with about the Phillies first basemans ability.

Nah...fuck it. You're right.

That I can get behind. But, at the same time, why the hell not? It's totally worth it.

....i dunno. at some point an argument has to reach it's zenith. and i think we're waaay beyond it. :lol:

same old poop at this point.
    www.myspace.com

....i dunno. at some point an argument has to reach it's zenith. and i think we're waaay beyond it. :lol:

Hmmmm.........nnnnnnaaaah. No, definitely not. Not this time. The logic of explanation, and the contradiction of said logic, is just too fucking good.

Hmmmm.........nnnnnnaaaah. No, definitely not. Not this time. The logic of explanation, and the contradiction of said logic, is just too fucking good.

Macgruber_Will_Forte.jpg
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I blame bill conlin. Someone needs to get him and Ibanez to retire ASAP. conlin is the guy that was all up in arms that the phils gave up 'can't miss prospect' michael taylor in the halladay deal. He hasn't written a meaningful article since abreu got traded...and now he's the one defending howard, which seems appropriate to me (especially for this thread)

sucks phils are off tomorrow. I'd much rather have them with that extra off day later in the season...in between series. plus I'm going through baseball withdrawl
    The Fixer wrote:
    sucks phils are off tomorrow. I'd much rather have them with that extra off day later in the season...in between series. plus I'm going through baseball withdrawl

I remember when every team played the Thursday after the ASG. I guess the players like having the longer break. But yeah, I am missing it. Although I guess it's ok since I'll be at the Linc tonight. (everyone's gotta see U2 once, right?)

The Fixer wrote:

I remember when every team played the Thursday after the ASG. I guess the players like having the longer break. But yeah, I am missing it. Although I guess it's ok since I'll be at the Linc tonight. (everyone's gotta see U2 once, right?)

U2 are you kidding me? Who cares that they have had at least 30 mega-hits, at least 10 great albums, sold millions upon millons of albums, sold millions upon millions of tickets - don't you know they suck? they aren't worth the money they make. it's ridiculous. and My Morning Jacket is way better than them. it's not even close. i'd much rather have My Morning Jacket than U2. :lol::lol::lol: (pure sarcasm johnny - enjoy the show, perfect night weather wise).
This discussion has been closed.