***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    pjhawks wrote:
    Fixer last year said we were better off with Ross Gload at 1st base than Ryan Howard. that pretty much stops all credibility he might have on the ryan howard argument.

And you said Ryan Howard could end up as good as Ted Williams.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    By the way - the Howard contract didn't seem to affect the team's spending this past offseason.

They are obviously going all in now but they have $113 million committed to 9 players next year and that doesn't include Hamels or Rollins. Add $20-$30 million for Hamels/Rollins to that and you still need plenty of pieces. So yeah, the extra money they could have saved from Howard would be helpful.

If they don't win this year, the outlook won't be as great.

That's how I feel about Howard: if they don't win this year...then I'll worry. It's not like The Fixer doesn't make valid points against Howard and his contract, but to put it simply, I like the guy and want him on my team. Hell I remember watching him (and Victorino, Utley, etc) on the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Red Barons thinking "THIS could be something." And it became something: a world champion. And I owe a bit of gratitude to everyone on that 2008 team because it was far and away the greatest and most fun sports fan moment of my life (my other team is the Miami Dolphins so....yeah).

So basically, if the team keeps winning, I don't care what his WAR or whatever is. If he strikes out chasing some 3-2 curve in the dirt with the bases-loaded but Halladay shuts everyone down and we win, I'm happy. Is he performing beneath the standard of his contract? Sure. But it's not like he's playing straight-up badly. He still contributes and unless he becomes a freeloader who is truly stealing money and not helping the team win, I want him as our guy.

I hear you, man and I completely get where you are coming from. Shit, Jeter is stealing money from the Yanks and there is no one in the league I would rather have playing short in the Bronx. Different situations but I get where you are coming from.

My whole point is that he isn't the player he is made out to be or getting paid to be. You probably think he is a bit better than I do but it seems like we are pretty much on the same page.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Fixer last year said we were better off with Ross Gload at 1st base than Ryan Howard. that pretty much stops all credibility he might have on the ryan howard argument.

well he is the fastest in history to 200 career home runs which is better than ted williams and babe ruth. thats a fact boys. maybe tex will get there someday but either way i'll volunteer to be yours and fixers designated driver to cooperstown for ryan's hall of fame induction in say oh 15 years or so. until then good luck to your yanks.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said that Placido Polanco was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his back.
    Polanco is out of the lineup for the fourth straight game Friday and could soon be headed for a trip to the disabled list. The veteran third baseman is batting just .216 since the start of May, so some time away might be the best thing for him.

Dropping like flies!!
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well he is the fastest in history to 200 career home runs which is better than ted williams and babe ruth. thats a fact boys. maybe tex will get there someday but either way i'll volunteer to be yours and fixers designated driver to cooperstown for ryan's hall of fame induction in say oh 15 years or so. until then good luck to your yanks.

Hall of fame and Ryan Howard in the same sentence is pretty fucking hilarious.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Too late of a start to get into the HOF imo.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

you do realize if he keeps even close to the current pace he will easily reach 500 home runs right? he has 271 currently and will be in the 290 range by the end of this season. and there will either be a DH in NL by the time his career is over or he will end up in the AL so some team can try and cash in on it. in the after-the-steroid era in the area of 500 home runs is going to look massive compared to the previous era.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,391
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

If he has 6 or 7 more years kind of like his first 5 then he would be in the conversation. Even 15 years from now sportwriters are going to use traditional stats more than things like xFIP & WAR, especially since nobody can agree on a common definition of the geek stats. Of course, if your predicted downward trend happens than you can have a good laugh at us.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

If he has 6 or 7 more years kind of like his first 5 then he would be in the conversation. Even 15 years from now sportwriters are going to use traditional stats more than things like xFIP & WAR, especially since nobody can agree on a common definition of the geek stats. Of course, if your predicted downward trend happens than you can have a good laugh at us.

7 years after this year at 30 homers a year gets him to 500. 500 home runs would make him a stone cold lock. and if the Phils win another series or two (and i think they will) during his run as a star that will help the cause too.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

you do realize if he keeps even close to the current pace he will easily reach 500 home runs right? he has 271 currently and will be in the 290 range by the end of this season. and there will either be a DH in NL by the time his career is over or he will end up in the AL so some team can try and cash in it.

Then elect him to the home run derby hall of fame. I don't give a shit about 500 home runs.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

7 years after this year at 30 homers a year gets him to 500. 500 home runs would make him a stone cold lock. and if the Phils win another series or two (and i think they will) during his run as a star that will help the cause too.

The steroid era has destroyed the idea of 500 homers getting one into the Hall.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

But aside from home runs and RBI's, his other numbers just aren't that good. I agree that they won't be using advanced stats for the hall of fame, but aside from home runs, his numbers aren't hall of fame worthy. If he gets 500, which he has VERY long way to go, then you can have a conversation about it, but he is not a hall of famer. 500 isn't a lock anymore either.

In his baseball reference comparables, there is only one hall of famer, Willie McCovey.
    The steroid era has destroyed the idea of 500 homers getting one into the Hall.

Agreed
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's how I feel about Howard: if they don't win this year...then I'll worry. It's not like The Fixer doesn't make valid points against Howard and his contract, but to put it simply, I like the guy and want him on my team. Hell I remember watching him (and Victorino, Utley, etc) on the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Red Barons thinking "THIS could be something." And it became something: a world champion. And I owe a bit of gratitude to everyone on that 2008 team because it was far and away the greatest and most fun sports fan moment of my life (my other team is the Miami Dolphins so....yeah).

So basically, if the team keeps winning, I don't care what his WAR or whatever is. If he strikes out chasing some 3-2 curve in the dirt with the bases-loaded but Halladay shuts everyone down and we win, I'm happy. Is he performing beneath the standard of his contract? Sure. But it's not like he's playing straight-up badly. He still contributes and unless he becomes a freeloader who is truly stealing money and not helping the team win, I want him as our guy.

I hear you, man and I completely get where you are coming from. Shit, Jeter is stealing money from the Yanks and there is no one in the league I would rather have playing short in the Bronx. Different situations but I get where you are coming from.

My whole point is that he isn't the player he is made out to be or getting paid to be. You probably think he is a bit better than I do but it seems like we are pretty much on the same page.

:clap: ...why can't people disagree rationally like this in these threads more often?

instead we get extremes like someone using racial under-tunes (calling him "kong"--everyone knows what the insinuation is) and saying he sucks which leads to comparisons to ted williams and vice versa. :lol: :roll:

cliff, for the record, this is how most of us feel about howard. i know it's how i and, apparently, johnny feel.

anywho......glad i waited till today to get tickets. ended up not getting them. fucking rain. might head down sunday though.
    www.myspace.com
    This game sucks.

Edit. Yay baseball!

Don't look now but this team is playing like shit.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,987
    Yo, Perez.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Fixer did plenty of defending of the Joe Blanton contract, and we are getting jack shit out of that this year. But he's a "good 2nd half pitcher" right?

As Jeags said, the batter in front of Howard was intentionally walked twice this year. And on average it really hasn't worked out. Howard himself has been IBB'ed probably about a dozen times this year.

I don't buy the "we won't pay the luxury tax" thing anyway.

As for the other options:
    -Prince Fielder is 400 lbs and his body won't hold up. Cubs will sign him and get another Soriano contract.
    -Pujols is not going to leave StL - it would cost way too much and he's older than Howard.
    -Teixeira - sorry I'd rather have Howard. BFD - he plays a great 1B. From my eyes Howard's defense has been at least average this year. I mean, range for a 1B? Half the time they're holding a runner on anyway. Tex has had a nice 1st half but I still would take Howard.
    -A-Gon - would've had to fight the Red Sox for him and trade away even more prospects. Howard was already here.
    -Votto - not a FA for years. He's a great player but hasn't done it for more than a couple years, so we'll see.
    -Konerko - was never gonna leave White Sox

Sometimes reasonable analysis is frowned upon in this thread, but there you go.

I still think blantons deal is reasonable. 8 mill a year for an average pitcher, who was durable at the time is about right. He's been hurt the last two years, but I dont think anyone could have predicted that would happen.

glad you can see into the future with all the first baseman. Funny that your theories give the phils even less reason to overpay for howard since it takes all fo the teams that could afford him out of the picture.

I don't see how anyone can defend that contract
    Nice win. The crusty bastard finally did something positive.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Nice win. The crusty bastard finally did something positive.

HEATIN' UP.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    By the way - the Howard contract didn't seem to affect the team's spending this past offseason.

They are obviously going all in now but they have $113 million committed to 9 players next year and that doesn't include Hamels or Rollins. Add $20-$30 million for Hamels/Rollins to that and you still need plenty of pieces. So yeah, the extra money they could have saved from Howard would be helpful.

If they don't win this year, the outlook won't be as great.

I guess that's where I'm different than most phils fans. I don't care how long players are here, what individual awards they win, how many all star games they make, etc. I want guys that are going ot help the team win. Howard has regressed each year since his MVP season. The guy isn't a great player, but he's paid like one. That's a problem...especially as he continues to regress.

It's finance/econ 101...you don'toverpay for diminishing returns. which is exactly what the phils did
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

BUT HE HAS SO MANY RBIs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

are we back on Ryan Howard already.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    :lol:

are we back on Ryan Howard already.

When were we off him?

Anyway, entertain me. I am bored.
    Anyone get on this google plus nonsense yet? I just got an invite. Not really into the social network sites. I have FB, but rarely use it.

Anyway, if anyone is on this google jawn, let me know if it's even worth it
    The Fixer wrote:
    Anyone get on this google plus nonsense yet? I just got an invite. Not really into the social network sites. I have FB, but rarely use it.

I've heard things, but never tried it. Never tried because I didn't one of those fancy invites. I'm pretty sure Google will be running our lives(minds) in about 5 more years.
    The Fixer wrote:

I've heard things, but never tried it. Never tried because I didn't one of those fancy invites. I'm pretty sure Google will be running our lives(minds) in about 5 more years.

I have to say that I love gmail.

I think FB is a great way to keep in touch with people you don't get to often see. Just a lot of people on there desperate for attention. I don't really see the need to be part of two social network sites
    The Fixer wrote:

I have to say that I love gmail.

I think FB is a great way to keep in touch with people you don't get to often see. Just a lot of people on there desperate for attention. I don't really see the need to be part of two social network sites

Yeah, I think I'm tapped out on any more sites I need to be on. I think the next one I actually put some effort into will be Linkedin. I'm on there, just don't pay attention to it right now since I'm not gainfully employed.

And, yes, gmail is sweet.
    Hey um. Nice win last night.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    Hey um. Nice win last night.

yeah. kind of a big win. but let's talk about contracts some more though :mrgreen:

raaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul coming through!
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.