***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    you guys see this? fans dies at rangers game reaching for ball thrown by josh hamilton. and the guy was a firefighter. dangerous job like that and dies at a baseball game. horrible and his 6 year son witnessed it. i'd probably have a hard time dealing with that if i was hamilton. very sad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/ne ... NHeadlines
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,391
    pjhawks wrote:
    you guys see this? fans dies at rangers game reaching for ball thrown by josh hamilton. and the guy was a firefighter. dangerous job like that and dies at a baseball game. horrible and his 6 year son witnessed it. i'd probably have a hard time dealing with that if i was hamilton. very sad.

I can't stop thinking about this. So terrible and upsetting.

Next time you're at a game, just remember, it's just a fucking baseball. You can go buy one for your son.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    pjhawks wrote:

Next time you're at a game, just remember, it's just a fucking baseball. You can go buy one for your son.
    Extremely sad event,i'm actually suprised this dosen't happen more often.
    Go Birds!!!!
    When i meet Stark he thought Cole would get 20 a year. He wouldn't be suprised if he took a 5yr deal so he could score big again.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    pjhawks wrote:

Absolutely horrible

I keep thinking back when you're little how excited you were to go to a game with your Dad

I can't even imagine how that little boy feels..he can't even wrap his head around this

Hopefully Josh can deal with it without falling off the wagon
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Dude just isn't worth close to 25 mill per season.

Agreed. I think everyone agrees, actually. But he is still the key to this lineup. Even when he's slumping you see managers pitching around him. Other teams in the division stock up on LOOGY's to get him out, probably costing them the chance at having more durable middle relievers. I just don't think it's the same team without him.

See I don't agree with any of this. You see managers walking guys intentionally so they CAN pitch to howard. He's not the player he was during his MVP season (which was the single best phillies season I have personally witnessed). He's OK. Put half the first baseman in the NL in his spot and they match or outperform him offensively...and easily best his defense (or lackthereof)

the Braves bullpen is tailor made to beat the phillies. Ironically, their worst option out of the pen vs the phils is probably their closer
    pjhawks wrote:

seriously. I have caught 3 baseballs at MLB games in my life. One I threw back on the field. I have no idea where the other 2 are.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Dude just isn't worth close to 25 mill per season.

Agreed. I think everyone agrees, actually. But he is still the key to this lineup. Even when he's slumping you see managers pitching around him. Other teams in the division stock up on LOOGY's to get him out, probably costing them the chance at having more durable middle relievers. I just don't think it's the same team without him.

See I don't agree with any of this. You see managers walking guys intentionally so they CAN pitch to howard. He's not the player he was during his MVP season (which was the single best phillies season I have personally witnessed). He's OK. Put half the first baseman in the NL in his spot and they match or outperform him offensively...and easily best his defense (or lackthereof)

the Braves bullpen is tailor made to beat the phillies. Ironically, their worst option out of the pen vs the phils is probably their closer

please provide evidence of Utley or anyone else batting 3rd being walked intentionally to pitch to howard at any point this season. you are delusional.
    pjhawks wrote:

please provide evidence of Utley or anyone else batting 3rd being walked intentionally to pitch to howard at any point this season. you are delusional.

Watch the games dummy. It's happened a few times. Just last weekend in fact. And howard proceeded to strike out on 3 or 4 pitches
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Watch the games dummy. It's happened a few times

i've watched 80% of every inning this year and i don't recall it happening. again please provide evidence, facts not the rantings of a delusional so-called fan.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i've watched 80% of every inning this year and i don't recall it happening. again please provide evidence, facts not the rantings of a delusional so-called fan.

Last weekend. walked utley, howard K'd on 3 or 4 pitches. That's one time. There are others. Watch the games
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

The Fixer knows all the negative aspects of the Phillies. If others besides Toronto have walked Utley (or whoever) to get to Howard....then The Fixer would know about it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

The Fixer knows all the negative aspects of the Phillies. If others besides Toronto have walked Utley (or whoever) to get to Howard....then The Fixer would know about it.

He obviously doesn't know the negative aspects of Pearl Jam though....evidenced by his username being the single worst Pearl Jam song ever.

I know the padres walked someone intentionally to get to howard this year as well (before utley came back). Howard ended up getting a game winning double because ryan ludwick decided to break out his greg lewis punt catching impersonation.

I chose the Fixer when the site changed, before backspacer came out. My old tag name was deleted for some reason. Happened to a lot of people here I believe.

Keep worrying about the AS game. Your contributions to this thread are tremendous
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    pjhawks wrote:

Um, last saturday 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, Utley walked intentionally to load the bases, Howard strikes out on a check swing.

the obsession he has with howard is mind blowing. i guess to him 1 or 2% is a trend (once or twice in 84 games) and he is surely hoping the braves kick the phils ass this weekend so he can gloat as he tried to do when the flyers blew up (despite their goaltending being as good as ryan miller in the buffalo series per him).
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

it's happend twice this year and i think once last year. i believe howard is 1-2 with a walk in this instances so it hasn't worked out too well.

and the marlins intentionally walked howard the other night though.

johnny's point is a good one.
    www.myspace.com
    it's happend twice this year and i think once last year. i believe howard is 1-2 with a walk in this instances so it hasn't worked out too well.

and the marlins intentionally walked howard the other night though.

johnny's point is a good one.

ok i stand corrected (didn't see last saturday's game) but 2 times in 84 games is 2.4%, hardly a trend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Um, last saturday 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, Utley walked intentionally to load the bases, Howard strikes out on a check swing.

Funny that the non-phillies fan even knows this. Big Phillies fans in this thread
    pjhawks wrote:

the obsession he has with howard is mind blowing. i guess to him 1 or 2% is a trend (once or twice in 84 games) and he is surely hoping the braves kick the phils ass this weekend so he can gloat as he tried to do when the flyers blew up (despite their goaltending being as good as ryan miller in the buffalo series per him).

Your posts are such nonsense.

You still think howard is better than adrian gonzalez and votto?

My issue with howard is that his contract is the worst thing in sports. He's nowhere near good enough to earn that kind of money (his WAR this year is below a league average player). Next year when that monstrosity of a contract kicks in it will prevent the phils from signing guys that they need in order to compete at their current championship level. Then again, you're the guy that defended the deal when it was signed and said that 'only this year matters'.

[/quote]

the Braves bullpen is tailor made to beat the phillies. Ironically, their worst option out of the pen vs the phils is probably their closer[/quote]

I truly don't understand how a Phillie fan can beat up the 2nd best hitter in this franchises history like u do. A jearlpam comment will follow(guess u can't say anything bad about howard without the police arriving,weak) He's obviously not the same guy he was in 08, 99.9% of the aren't. You make the best arguetment for Howard imo by saying this lineup isn't that good,yet he is tied for the League in RBI's. Then you'll say he's had the most chances and i'll say he dosen't get shit to hit. Followed by then why dosen't he walk more then.

His defense has been almost flawless this year 2 errors and maybe 2-3 other plays that didn't get scored cause he got an out instread of 2. This team would be shit without him in the lineup and i'm sure sadly one day it'll happen and this team will blow even with great pitching.
    Go Birds!!!!
    it's happend twice this year and i think once last year.

more than that. jim riggleman was infamous for pulling that move
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    The Fixer wrote:
    it's happend twice this year and i think once last year.

more than that. jim riggleman was infamous for pulling that move

no it hasn't. that's why people made a big deal about it.

and again, mckeon intentionally walked howard a couple games ago. big deal. quit hating fixer :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Your posts are such nonsense.

You still think howard is better than adrian gonzalez and votto?

My issue with howard is that his contract is the worst thing in sports. He's nowhere near good enough to earn that kind of money (his WAR this year is below a league average player). Next year when that monstrosity of a contract kicks in it will prevent the phils from signing guys that they need in order to compete at their current championship level. Then again, you're the guy that defended the deal when it was signed and said that 'only this year matters'.

no i don't think he is better than votto or gonzalez at this point (but that's like saying $10 million is worse than $11 millon, as a bank account they would both fucking rock) - i also know that those 2 have a combined ZERO playoff wins under their belt and ryan has been a huge part of the greatest run in our franchise's history.

and i swore a week or so ago i wouldn't take the bait from you and i did again. im such a ahole. so whatever dude.

let's go phils.

the Braves bullpen is tailor made to beat the phillies. Ironically, their worst option out of the pen vs the phils is probably their closer[/quote]

I truly don't understand how a Phillie fan can beat up the 2nd best hitter in this franchises history like u do. A jearlpam comment will follow(guess u can't say anything bad about howard without the police arriving,weak) He's obviously not the same guy he was in 08, 99.9% of the aren't. You make the best arguetment for Howard imo by saying this lineup isn't that good,yet he is tied for the League in RBI's. Then you'll say he's had the most chances and i'll say he dosen't get shit to hit. Followed by then why dosen't he walk more then.

His defense has been almost flawless this year 2 errors and maybe 2-3 other plays that didn't get scored cause he got an out instread of 2. This team would be shit without him in the lineup and i'm sure sadly one day it'll happen and this team will blow even with great pitching.[/quote]

he's got 3 or 4 errors. not that they are a good judge of defensive ability anyway. to call his defense 'flawless' is laughable. He's a butcher in the field with the range of a fire hydrant
    The Fixer wrote:

He obviously doesn't know the negative aspects of Pearl Jam though....evidenced by his username being the single worst Pearl Jam song ever.

I know the padres walked someone intentionally to get to howard this year as well (before utley came back). Howard ended up getting a game winning double because ryan ludwick decided to break out his greg lewis punt catching impersonation.

I chose the Fixer when the site changed, before backspacer came out. My old tag name was deleted for some reason. Happened to a lot of people here I believe.

Keep worrying about the AS game. Your contributions to this thread are tremendous

lol, I'm not "worried" about the all-star game. I just supported Shane's bid to get in it. You're the one who whines and complains about everything despite the team having the best record in baseball. It's almost troll-like the way you post in this thread.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    pjhawks wrote:

and i swore a week or so ago i wouldn't take the bait from you and i did again. im such a ahole. so whatever dude.

let's go phils.

so first baseman are QBs now. THey are only good if their team wins. Brilliant comparison :roll: .

the hamels article I read today made me think of the howard contract. that leads to me getting agitated. I wasn't trying to start up this stupid argument again. sorry I did
    The Fixer wrote:

lol, I'm not "worried" about the all-star game. I just supported Shane's bid to get in it. You're the one who whines and complains about everything despite the team having the best record in baseball. It's almost troll-like the way you post in this thread.

no one is forcing you to read or respond to my posts. If you want to comment or debate baseball, then bring it. your comments here are pointless.

thanks for stopping by...another solid contribution to the thread
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

let's go phils.

so first baseman are QBs now. THey are only good if their team wins. Brilliant comparison :roll: .

the hamels article I read today made me think of the howard contract. that leads to me getting agitated. I wasn't trying to start up this stupid argument again. sorry I did

and you accuse others of reading comprehension issues :roll: :roll:
    The Fixer wrote:
    no one is forcing you to read or respond to my posts. If you want to comment or debate baseball, then bring it. your comments here are pointless.

Ok let's debate Baseball. I think Howard is very valuable to the team. We wouldn't have won the World Series in 2008, the Pennant in 2009, and we wouldn't be in first place now without him.
    The Fixer wrote:

And what is this? Get a life, dude. Maybe you think you're educating people or something with your "contributions" but you're not. You're trolling. I mean, who takes a BASEBALL THREAD ON MESSAGE BOARD that seriously that they criticize the "contributions" of other posters?
    The Fixer wrote:
    the hamels article I read today made me think of the howard contract. that leads to me getting agitated.

Why does this make you agitated? Other than for the fact that you seem like an agitated person by nature? There's no salary cap. So what does it matter what he's paid?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    The Fixer wrote:

Ok let's debate Baseball. I think Howard is very valuable to the team. We wouldn't have won the World Series in 2008, the Pennant in 2009, and we wouldn't be in first place now without him.
    The Fixer wrote:

And what is this? Get a life, dude. Maybe you think you're educating people or something with your "contributions" but you're not. You're trolling. I mean, who takes a BASEBALL THREAD ON MESSAGE BOARD that seriously that they criticize the "contributions" of other posters?
    The Fixer wrote:
    the hamels article I read today made me think of the howard contract. that leads to me getting agitated.

Why does this make you agitated? Other than for the fact that you seem like an agitated person by nature? There's no salary cap. So what does it matter what he's paid?

1 - That's an assumption. If you go by his WAR for the past few years you will see that there are plenty of better options at his position.

also, they may have won the 09 WS and 10 NLCS if they had a more competent first baseman

2 - Pointless post...yet again

3 - no salary cap, but there is a luxury tax. I'm sure you didn't know that though, since you seem to be new to this baseball stuff
This discussion has been closed.