***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,988
    jp --that appalachian brew pub is pretty decent if you get the chance to check it out. food's not bad. and i like their beers.

Yeah, I heard about that. I was actually at The Trappe on Monday. I wonder if that brew pub is hiring, might have to check it out for that reason as well...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    corrolla. i've never been down there before. her family got this huge place with a pool right off the beach. should be nice. i've heard there isn't much to do down there though. i'd much rather go to the shore up here.

do you go to obx a lot?

Nice, man.Thats actually where we just booked a place yesterday. I haven't been there a lot. They moved down there 2 years ago and we have been day and weekend traips to various spots on the outer banks but nothing crazy. I am really looking forward to it though. The Jersey beaches are just too packed for me. I like having the bars and things but I could use less people.
    pjhawks wrote:
    corrolla. i've never been down there before. her family got this huge place with a pool right off the beach. should be nice. i've heard there isn't much to do down there though. i'd much rather go to the shore up here.

do you go to obx a lot?

Corrolla is awesome Jaegs if all you want to do is relax and have some beers. Unlike NJ you can pretty much do anything on the beach including drink out in the open (some places say no bottles but i've never been hassled there about having open bottles). as long as you clean up and don't act out no one will bother you. most people you see have are having some as well. and you have lots more room on the beaches since there are way fewer houses in the area. lots of room to spread out and play wiffle ball or volleyball if you desire as well.

negatives are lifeguards are few and far between if you are going with children. not a ton of restaurants in the area so you have to take a ride south for that which can be a huge hassle because it's only one lane up corrolla way. and if you are going in on a weekend don't get too frustrated when you reach the obx and it still takes about an hour to get up to corolla - that one road in sucks on weekends.

all-in-all it's a great place to relax with your family and do nothing though. i highly recommended and have never met a person who didn't like it down there.

I like hearing this as well. Any chance this is one of the spots that let you get a permit to have a fire on the beach at night?
    Jeags, yeah, there isn't much to do in OBX, but that doesn't mean it's not a swell place. I guess that's one of the reasons you can get sweet houses on the beach for a decent price. OBX is a good time, but I'll take the shore. Plus, there's that 8/9 hour drive....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

do you go to obx a lot?

Corrolla is awesome Jaegs if all you want to do is relax and have some beers. Unlike NJ you can pretty much do anything on the beach including drink out in the open (some places say no bottles but i've never been hassled there about having open bottles). as long as you clean up and don't act out no one will bother you. most people you see have are having some as well. and you have lots more room on the beaches since there are way fewer houses in the area. lots of room to spread out and play wiffle ball or volleyball if you desire as well.

negatives are lifeguards are few and far between if you are going with children. not a ton of restaurants in the area so you have to take a ride south for that which can be a huge hassle because it's only one lane up corrolla way. and if you are going in on a weekend don't get too frustrated when you reach the obx and it still takes about an hour to get up to corolla - that one road in sucks on weekends.

all-in-all it's a great place to relax with your family and do nothing though. i highly recommended and have never met a person who didn't like it down there.

I like hearing this as well. Any chance this is one of the spots that let you get a permit to have a fire on the beach at night?

not sure on that. i know i've seen people doing it but there are signs against it. i'm guessing it changes town to town though and some of these town are really small and close to each other. you'd have to ask around about that. it says no fireworks on the beach but i've seen plenty of people with those as well.
    pjhawks wrote:
    not sure on that. i know i've seen people doing it but there are signs against it. i'm guessing it changes town to town though and some of these town are really small and close to each other. you'd have to ask around about that. it says no fireworks on the beach but i've seen plenty of people with those as well.

Thanks, man. I think that would be a great time. I dig getting drunk by a fire so a fire on the beach sounds pretty fucking fantastic to me.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Thanks, man. I think that would be a great time. I dig getting drunk by a fire so a fire on the beach sounds pretty fucking fantastic to me.

oh and if you are dog people lots of dogs on the beach especially at night. it's really cool to be out on the beach at dusk drinking beers and chilling.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,602
    jp --that appalachian brew pub is pretty decent if you get the chance to check it out. food's not bad. and i like their beers.

Yeah, I heard about that. I was actually at The Trappe on Monday. I wonder if that brew pub is hiring, might have to check it out for that reason as well...

champs just opened in that wegmans town center too. collegeville is hoppin' now. :roll: :lol:

still, to a watch a game, this champs is much better than the one in kop. the walls are littered with huge tv's.

nice to finally have a few really local options........they're putting a "movie tavern" in that same town center. apparently you can eat dinner and watch a movie at the same time. website says they show sporting events in there too. that could be interesting.
    www.myspace.com
    Jeags, yeah, there isn't much to do in OBX, but that doesn't mean it's not a swell place. I guess that's one of the reasons you can get sweet houses on the beach for a decent price. OBX is a good time, but I'll take the shore. Plus, there's that 8/9 hour drive....

the wife wants to leave by 5....AM :x

yeah, being a relatively short drive from the shore is one of the things that makes livign in this area so cool.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

do you go to obx a lot?

Nice, man.Thats actually where we just booked a place yesterday. I haven't been there a lot. They moved down there 2 years ago and we have been day and weekend traips to various spots on the outer banks but nothing crazy. I am really looking forward to it though. The Jersey beaches are just too packed for me. I like having the bars and things but I could use less people.

townsends inlet--southern part of sea isle's island. it's still crowded, but not nearly like the rest of the shore. kinda like strathmere for that reason too.

that's cool that you got a place to go. my parents are planning on moving down to delaware next year. dewey beach or rehobeth. forget which one. but they're planning on being right near the water, which will be nice.
    www.myspace.com
    looks like the cards are interested in romero
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

do you go to obx a lot?

townsends inlet--southern part of sea isle's island. it's still crowded, but not nearly like the rest of the shore. kinda like strathmere for that reason too.

that's cool that you got a place to go. my parents are planning on moving down to delaware next year. dewey beach or rehobeth. forget which one. but they're planning on being right near the water, which will be nice.

that's where my in-laws are. their place is in the lewes area. they are a block of the beach...rural beach on the bay. it's quiet there and anything goes...bonfires, dogs, trucks, whatever.

It's OK I guess. I grew up going to sea isle, so that's what I like better. I get bored at their place (which means I just end up getting plastered by myself and coming on here...never a good move). Plus, from havertown it takes 2 hours to get down there. It's a hike.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

do you go to obx a lot?

Nice, Thanks man. Have been thinking about trying out a few different places that might be less crowded. Thats cool they are heading down there. I hear both are nice.

Yeah, it's nice having a place to go, she isn't right on the beach but close enough. Not sure how long she will stay down there though with my dad passing and all. Am sure she will be there for the forseeable future though.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,401
    So, you guys know how I feel about "closers" and "saves" right? I love the word saves in quotation marks on this baseball card.

wagner_zoo_500.jpg
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    gary wagner has a degree in zoology.
    www.myspace.com

It was from a Jim Caple article about baseball card cartoons. I just liked "saves" in quotation marks. I think they were an unofficial stat back then. The cartoon was pretty amusing as well.

Anyone I've ever talked to about OBX had nothing but great things to say, by the way.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I still can't get over that video of the guy and girl at the Phils game the other night. I wanna know the details. Did an usher come by while this is happening and tell them to leave? Did they end up banging right there with nobody saying anything? I gotta know the full story.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

It was from a Jim Caple article about baseball card cartoons. I just liked "saves" in quotation marks. I think they were an unofficial stat back then. The cartoon was pretty amusing as well.

Anyone I've ever talked to about OBX had nothing but great things to say, by the way.

Saves is in the running with pitcher wins and RBI for the most pointless stat.
    I still can't get over that video of the guy and girl at the Phils game the other night. I wanna know the details. Did an usher come by while this is happening and tell them to leave? Did they end up banging right there with nobody saying anything? I gotta know the full story.

was the chick hot? i cant see the video at work..
    www.myspace.com

was the chick hot? i cant see the video at work..

Decent. It's pretty awesome.
    So I guess this Piñata guy is pretty good...

Our DH Ben Francisco :roll: broke up the perfect game. :lol:

No hitter through 5.

Its a combo of him being good and the phils lineup sucking cock (except for utley).

Now 12-20 vs teams with winning records. As long as they keep beating nats, cubs, and marlins people are hbappy though.

Not hating, but howard needs to catch pop ups over his head, not at eye level. Sealv hands almost dropped another one last night. Its really not hard to catch a baseball
    Also, nyc is fucking awesome. I have 3 regrets in life...not playing baseball in college, getting a dui, and not moving here after college. Buddy I'm staying with just broke up with gf of 3.5 years...victorias secret model. Insane
    Tonight should be interesting. Over/Under on 1 hit for the phillies.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Also, nyc is fucking awesome. I have 3 regrets in life...not playing baseball in college, getting a dui, and not moving here after college. Buddy I'm staying with just broke up with gf of 3.5 years...victorias secret model. Insane

Nice, where are you at in new york?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    :roll:
    this lineup sucks.

:lol:

sooner or later people are gonna realize that the team with the best record in baseball is kinda good.
    www.myspace.com
    edited June 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

Its a combo of him being good and the phils lineup sucking cock (except for utley).

Now 12-20 vs teams with winning records. As long as they keep beating nats, cubs, and marlins people are hbappy though.

Not hating, but howard needs to catch pop ups over his head, not at eye level. Sealv hands almost dropped another one last night. Its really not hard to catch a baseball

man you are brutal dude. they lose for the first time a week and suddenly the suck and you're making irrational comments again.

okay, lets go through this again. in the phillies 2 world series years they were about .500 vs teams with a winning record. remember i posted the actual numbers about a month back?

12-20 is just not correct. not sure how you came to that number. they are currently 12-14 against teams above .500 right now. i know, horrendous right? no, not really. here's the records vs winning teams of some of the best teams in baseball right now:

indians 19-15
    phillies 12-14
    rangers 19-17
    yankees 19-20
    red sox 21-17
    braves 16-13
    brewers 14-18
    cards 10-14
    giants 16-11
    reds 17-21

of these ten teams, 5 have winning records vs teams with winning records. 5 have losing records vs teams with winning records. all of them are within a few games of .500 vs teams with winning records.

this team is good and getting better. try to enjoy the ride.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    :roll:
    this lineup sucks.

:lol:

sooner or later people are gonna realize that the team with the best record in baseball is kinda good.

You'd hope so!!!! Are we perfect? Far from it yet were a strong bunch with alot of character. I met and chatted with Jayson Stark for about 20 mins yesterday. He said he expects us to sign Hamels to a similar deal that Verlander got. He also said that after all is said and done Madson will get a deal around 3yrs 24-26 million. I personally think he'll get way more then that, but with Boras who knows. But like he said he hasn't done it for a full year yet. Go Phills keep winning and extending that lead!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
This discussion has been closed.