***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Alright. You guys are content with things. Johnny and I are not.

This offense sucks balls

Right. I feel good about the team as a whole. But this is the worst Phillies offense since before Thome came here. It's not just last night - they haven't scored more than 4 runs in the last 2 weeks.

i am with you on this. worst offense in years...but the best rotation ever--overall, how can you not feel good about that?

amaro/gillick have made a move to get us over the top each of the last 4 years. i have faith ruben will do it again, if need be.

we'll be fine.......it's april 26th! :lol:

you're probably right. I'm just worried that 6 of the 8 regulars in the lineup trending downward offensively (with francisco and ruiz being the 2 that aren't...which isn't good).

there's no way they can keep this lineup, with or without utley, all season.

hopefully they score some runs tonight. at least ian kennedy or randy wolf isn't pitching
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    I thought you were the Juggler??? :lol:

Fixer & Dr0pTheLeash in multiple fantasy baseball leagues. Damn.

I rarely talk about fantasy sports because I know 100% of people not in one of my leagues could give two shits. I will say that fantasy baseball is 2 billion times better than fantasy football though. FF is mostly luck. Any turd can end up winning a FF league. FB takes some work (even if it's just weekly lineups, which most of my leagues are).

i love fantasy football. my beef with this baseball league is all the work actually :lol:

Team Dickie Thon is wallowing away in last place as we speak.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    I thought you were the Juggler??? :lol:

Fixer & Dr0pTheLeash in multiple fantasy baseball leagues. Damn.

I rarely talk about fantasy sports because I know 100% of people not in one of my leagues could give two shits. I will say that fantasy baseball is 2 billion times better than fantasy football though. FF is mostly luck. Any turd can end up winning a FF league. FB takes some work (even if it's just weekly lineups, which most of my leagues are).

i love fantasy football. my beef with this baseball league is all the work actually :lol:

Team Dickie Thon is wallowing away in last place as we speak.

ha, one of my buddies team name has been sid bream for years. Sid had a quality stache

great sports night. Love it
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    It would've been great knowing that if the Phils didn't offer that extension that there would be a chance we would have our hands on Albert or Prince after this season....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/r ... later.html
    It would've been great knowing that if the Phils didn't offer that extension that there would be a chance we would have our hands on Albert or Prince after this season....

ugh.

2.0 wins above replacement is considered an average starter. howard is at 2.4
    The Fixer wrote:

ugh.

2.0 wins above replacement is considered an average starter. howard is at 2.4

I gotta figure Prince doesn't get much more annually, but probably gets 7, possibly 8, years. Ah well, what could've been...
    holy shit, they scored
    The Fixer wrote:
    holy shit, they scored

Damnit. I can't see it. Do the Flyers go to Versus in the next round or is that not until the Conference Finals(hoping they get there)?
    The Fixer wrote:
    holy shit, they scored

Damnit. I can't see it. Do the Flyers go to Versus in the next round or is that not until the Conference Finals(hoping they get there)?

No clue. I'm down in MD.

The d-backs announcers are awful. The worst. They make McCarthy and Wheels sound appealing
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    The Fixer wrote:
    holy shit, they scored

All the games go to Vs. in Conf Finals, but about half the games end up on Vs in the 2nd round, at least last year that's what happened, run on sentence...

Damn, Howard's WAR is 2. Damn, he's horrible. :lol:

Yes, I hate that stat, and yes, I do understand exactly how it's calculated (or one of the 19 ways it's calculated at least).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    holy shit, they scored

All the games go to Vs. in Conf Finals, but about half the games end up on Vs in the 2nd round, at least last year that's what happened, run on sentence...

Damn, Howard's WAR is 2. Damn, he's horrible. :lol:

Yes, I hate that stat, and yes, I do understand exactly how it's calculated (or one of the 19 ways it's calculated at least).

And it's funny how it's all relative once you compare him against his contemporaries in the same stat.
    And here's something else no one seems to be perking their ears up to - Oswalt was pulled in his start previous the one to SD, then he comes out and pitches a decent game following. But only for 6 innings, only sitting around 90/91 on his fastball, and he was clearly still hurt. I'm thinking we'll be without Roy, albeit precautionary or otherwise, for quite a bit.
    And here's something else no one seems to be perking their ears up to - Oswalt was pulled in his start previous the one to SD, then he comes out and pitches a decent game following. But only for 6 innings, only sitting around 90/91 on his fastball, and he was clearly still hurt. I'm thinking we'll be without Roy, albeit precautionary or otherwise, for quite a bit.

I don't know - didn't really see the game last night.

At least they scored some runs.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

yeah i fell asleep around the fifth. we got more than 4 runs! and 12 hits too. hopefully that's the start of something...
    www.myspace.com

yeah i fell asleep around the fifth. we got more than 4 runs! and 12 hits too. hopefully that's the start of something...

I'm just sayin....it's gonna be a major problem.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Welp....there's goes the 4 Aces. Retirement on the way I bet. At least that frees up money for relief and a bat.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just heard that a minute ago i hope all is well. Oswalt is a huge key to this teams success wonder whats up.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Welp....there's goes the 4 Aces. Retirement on the way I bet. At least that frees up money for relief and a bat.

You think it's that serious? A guy I work with just said pretty much the same thing. You think it's an injury thing?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You think it's that serious? A guy I work with just said pretty much the same thing. You think it's an injury thing?

I just know that he was talking about retirement after this season possibly. And if his back injury, or consistent back injuries, become too prevalent that maybe he's possibly considering calling it quits. This is just my feeling.
    And that's not necessarily a really bad thing with the way it saves this team an ass load of payroll. Hey, I'd rather have him in the rotation too, but it wouldn't worry me terribly.
    I just know that he was talking about retirement after this season possibly. And if his back injury, or consistent back injuries, become too prevalent that maybe he's possibly considering calling it quits. This is just my feeling.

Gotcha, yeah, it could be anything though. Could be a sick kid and he's back in two days or it good be an injury. Timing says something is up after the last couple weeks though.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    There's no way in hell he's retiring right now. It's prob a family matter that needs his attention. Man u went from 0-100 in 1 second.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Gotcha, yeah, it could be anything though. Could be a sick kid and he's back in two days or it good be an injury. Timing says something is up after the last couple weeks though.

Could definitely be. I just let to set the expectations at the worst so nothing's a shock. Could easily be something like that. But from what I saw from his past three starts - what no one seems to be talking about, which astonishes me - is how he looked. And that is not good.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Could definitely be. I just let to set the expectations at the worst so nothing's a shock. Could easily be something like that. But from what I saw from his past three starts - what no one seems to be talking about, which astonishes me - is how he looked. And that is not good.

Ha, I hear you. I haven't seen any of his starts either, just read about them.
    tornados ran through roy o's hometown....probably the reason for him leaving.

amaro says he is not hurt too.

edit--apparently the same thing happened with him last year.
    www.myspace.com
    I'm pretty confident he's not retiring. Definitely interesting though. Hope everything works out for him.

Oswalt returns to Miss. home following tornado activity
    POSTED: April 27, 2011 By David Murphy

Roy Oswalt left the Phillies shortly after his start against the Diamondbacks on Tuesday night because of what the team said were "personal reasons."

After initially declining to provide specifics, the team issued a statement from general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. that said Oswalt is returning to his home in Mississippi to check on his family and home because of tornado activity in the region.

“There has been a tremendous amount of tornado activity near Roy’s home in Mississippi resulting in several tragic deaths and significant devastation to the area," the statement read. "Because of this, Roy is concerned about his family’s well-being. He has chosen to take time to make sure there wasn’t significant damage to his home, but more importantly, to make certain that his wife and children are okay.

"It is almost a year to the day that his parents’ home was destroyed by a tornado, which has heightened his concern about the current situation. We are hopeful that he will rejoin the team for his next start, but will take that day-by-day.”

Oswalt endured his roughest start as a Phillie in Tuesday's 7-5 loss, throwing just 57 pitches while allowing five runs in three innings. It was just the second time in his career that he pitched at least three innings and did not record a strikeout.

Manager Charlie Manuel noted after the game what was obvious to anybody who watched: Oswalt had little life on his pitches, and his fastball was a couple miles per hour slower than usual. But Amaro said the righthander is healthy. Two starts ago, Oswalt left early with what was described as back spasms. He returned five days later to hold the Padres to one hit in six scoreless innings, but pitching coach Rich Dubee said later that he did not think Oswalt was 100 percent recovered from the back injury.

"He's fine," Amaro said. "He just didn't have his good stuff yesterday. That happens."

The Phillies have two off days before Oswalt is scheduled to pitch again. They are off tomorrow, then have a three game series against the Mets, then have an off day on Monday. Scheduled to start against the Mets are Joe Blanton, Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.