***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2011
    The problem is that this lineup is pretty much performing to their expectations. It's really not a good offensive team by any stretch. 2006-09 are a long way off. I don't know if Utley will even make that much of a difference.

Gonna be a lot more 2 hour games this year. Which isn't the worst thing ever, especially when you bring a baby to the game. :lol: (of course we have tixx for Friday - Pelfrey vs. Blanton :roll: )

I agree with this. The main issue is that what current player do you see stepping up from what they are doing this year (and last year)? The only one I think you could expect an increase in production from is francisco...and that's far from a given. I like the guy, but he's not gonna hit .300. Rollins, maybe...but I'm becoming convinced that he is in the ryan howard ilk in that his MVP season was the best season he will ever have. Unfortunately I think both of those players best offensive seasons are behind them (I know howards' is...I was hoping rollins could return to that form in a contract year, but its not lookin good). And with Utley's injury history, the same can probably be said for him (though he's still far and away their best hitter).

I'm not trying to sound overdramatic, but I really think this team is in trouble. Hopefully Amaro can pull a rabbitt out of his ass again.

I know it's only April, but look at the pitching they have faced. If they can't hit these guys, I'm not confident they can hit anyone (especially after the 2010 playoff debacle)
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    best team in MLB. gonna string another 5 together startin tonight
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    booomm11 wrote:

they should since they're playing the d-bags and mets. christ, 14 of us could take 3 of 5 from those teams
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    The Fixer wrote:
    The problem is that this lineup is pretty much performing to their expectations. It's really not a good offensive team by any stretch. 2006-09 are a long way off. I don't know if Utley will even make that much of a difference.

Gonna be a lot more 2 hour games this year. Which isn't the worst thing ever, especially when you bring a baby to the game. :lol: (of course we have tixx for Friday - Pelfrey vs. Blanton :roll: )

I agree with this. The main issue is that what current player do you see stepping up from what they are doing this year (and last year)? The only one I think you could expect an increase in production from is francisco...and that's far from a given. I like the guy, but he's not gonna hit .300. Rollins, maybe...but I'm becoming convinced that he is in the ryan howard ilk in that his MVP season was the best season he will ever have. Unfortunately I think both of those players best offensive seasons are behind them (I know howards' is...I was hoping rollins could return to that form in a contract year, but its not lookin good). And with Utley's injury history, the same can probably be said for him (though he's still far and away their best hitter).

I'm not trying to sound overdramatic, but I really think this team is in trouble. Hopefully Amaro can pull a rabbitt out of his ass again.

I know it's only April, but look at the pitching they have faced. If they can't hit these guys, I'm not confident they can hit anyone.

i'm beginning to think Rollins is done offensively. one thing about this season is he is not driving the ball at all. even his hits are mostly weak singles. 2 rbis in 22 games. driving in runs is not as easy as you believe as jimmy is proving.

yes the offense sucks but who do you really see over taking this team in the division and/or in the league? you do realize as of right now they are on a 110 win pace? .682 winning %. agree they will fall off that but do you really think if the starting pitching stays healthy they are coming close to winning less than 95 games? no chance. the league overall has about 3 good teams besides the Phils. and when the dog days of summer role around the bad teams will have absolutely no chance against these starters.
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    The Fixer wrote:
    booomm11 wrote:

they should since they're playing the d-bags and mets. christ, 14 of us could take 3 of 5 from those teams

i hear ya, they haven't played the better teams yet
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,410
    We're gonna some lucky waiver pickup like Cody Ross last year. I'm pretty sure this lineup is gonna look a lot different in 3 months than it does now. I hope. :roll:
    pjhawks wrote:
    yes the offense sucks but who do you really see over taking this team in the division and/or in the league? you do realize as of right now they are on a 110 win pace? .682 winning %. agree they will fall off that but do you really think if the starting pitching stays healthy they are coming close to winning less than 95 games? no chance. the league overall has about 3 good teams besides the Phils. and when the dog days of summer role around the bad teams will have absolutely no chance against these starters.

You have a good point in that the Phils are most likely going to make the playoffs and win a lot of games just because of their pitching. And I'm happy to see them racking up wins in April to cushion the eventual losing streaks. But watching the Brewers series last week, that team's lineup is in another class at this point. And they will have Greinke & Gallardo to throw in a playoff series. The Reds offense will come around. The Rox are awesome. I mean, Halladay can't pitch a no hitter every game, can he? This team will have a really hard time making it to the World Series as it's currently constructed. And that's what we all want, right?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    We're gonna some lucky waiver pickup like Cody Ross last year. I'm pretty sure this lineup is gonna look a lot different in 3 months than it does now. I hope. :roll:
    pjhawks wrote:

You have a good point in that the Phils are most likely going to make the playoffs and win a lot of games just because of their pitching. And I'm happy to see them racking up wins in April to cushion the eventual losing streaks. But watching the Brewers series last week, that team's lineup is in another class at this point. And they will have Greinke & Gallardo to throw in a playoff series. The Reds offense will come around. The Rox are awesome. I mean, Halladay can't pitch a no hitter every game, can he? This team will have a really hard time making it to the World Series as it's currently constructed. And that's what we all want, right?

Not to mention florida and atlanta

The phils are still the best team in the NL East. I just think the margin is a lot smaller than most phils fans think it is.

Another point is that this team isn't bulit to just make the playoffs. They have a year or two to try to win it all again. This offense isn't capable of doing that. Not even close
    pjhawks wrote:

what's the point of projecting the phils win total based on 4 weeks of play? especially when they have played mostly slop teams.

yes, they're beating the teams on their schedule. we know this. that's not the concern here
    Johnny, agree the offense would be a concern come playoff time, but like you said we are 6 months from that point. long long way away to worry about it now. way too many things can change. just enjoy the amazing pitching staff and the winning. hard to really bitch about the best record in the league. as Randy Wolf said last week when we was here, every team in the league would exchange their team for the Phils at this point. hopefully we are not becoming jaded with winning. still fun isn't it?
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny, agree the offense would be a concern come playoff time, but like you said we are 6 months from that point. long long way away to worry about it now. way too many things can change. just enjoy the amazing pitching staff and the winning. hard to really bitch about the best record in the league. as Randy Wolf said last week when we was here, every team in the league would exchange their team for the Phils at this point. hopefully we are not becoming jaded with winning. still fun isn't it?

Of course! I'm still a product of 100 straight non-championship seasons, forever pessimistic.

It sucks to get shut out by Ian freakin Kennedy. But then you had the Yanks almost get no hit by some no name White Sox pitcher at home, so these things happen.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

what's the point of projecting the phils win total based on 4 weeks of play? especially when they have played mostly slop teams.

yes, they're beating the teams on their schedule. we know this. that's not the concern here

well as i mentioned most of the teams in the league are slop. i mean who do you really like in this league? Reds, Rockies, Giants are damn good, Atlanta and Florida are good - the rest is slop. and as the phils have done in the past years they will murder the slop.

and answer this question - if the top 4 starting pitchers stay healthy is there any chance this team wins less than 95 games this season?

playoffs are a crapshoot offensively as the Giants showed last year. playoffs are about pitching and getting timely hits. and as Johnny mentioned doubtful this is the lineup come October. I would be shocked if Ibanez and Francisco are still both in the lineup at that point.
    pjhawks wrote:
    I would be shocked if Ibanez and Francisco are still both in the lineup at that point.

Charlie will stick with Ibanez until Ruben gets rids of him. Most stubborn manager in baseball. Not necessarily a bad thing because sometimes it works out, but sometimes it doesn't.

Amaro is going to have to make some moves.

You forgot the Brewers - they are a force this year. Reds/Brewers will be a great race in the Central.

pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well as i mentioned most of the teams in the league are slop. i mean who do you really like in this league? Reds, Rockies, Giants are damn good, Atlanta and Florida are good - the rest is slop. and as the phils have done in the past years they will murder the slop.

and answer this question - if the top 4 starting pitchers stay healthy is there any chance this team wins less than 95 games this season?

playoffs are a crapshoot offensively as the Giants showed last year. playoffs are about pitching and getting timely hits. and as Johnny mentioned doubtful this is the lineup come October. I would be shocked if Ibanez and Francisco are still both in the lineup at that point.

Brewers are solid as well. That's 7 teams that are good. You know only 4 make the playoffs right?

I predicted 93 wins and an NL East title (by two over atlanta)...so to answer your question...yes, it's entirely possible that this team wins less than 95 games with all 4 SP healthy. Though if the dip shit manager keeps rolling them out for 130 pitch starts in april/may, we won't have to worry about them being healthy.

The SP is only one facet of this team. The bullpen and offense are legit issues. Luckily it's only April. We will see what their record is come May 31 after they play some decent teams.
    Also, I don't think people should be using the giants from last year as a barometer. Just because the phils offense now is as good or better than the crap the giants rolled out last year doesn't mean anything. A strong rotation doesn't ensure playoff success...just ask the braves of the 90s, who went to the playoffs 14 straight years and only won one WS.

The giants were a fluke last year. And their pen was miles better than what the phils have.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    oh my god! the offense has been awful the last couple weeks! oh my god we have the best record in baseball but will surely lose a lot more games when the schedule gets tougher in may!

oh my god, i am going to jump off the walt whitman bridge. :roll: :lol:

you guys are funny. long season guys. long season...
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    oh my god! the offense has been awful the last couple weeks! oh my god we have the best record in baseball but will surely lose a lot more games when the schedule gets tougher in may!

oh my god, i am going to jump off the walt whitman bridge. :roll: :lol:

you guys are funny. long season guys. long season...

I've hidden all sharp objects and closed all open windows

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:
    Also, I don't think people should be using the giants from last year as a barometer. Just because the phils offense now is as good or better than the crap the giants rolled out last year doesn't mean anything. A strong rotation doesn't ensure playoff success...just ask the braves of the 90s, who went to the playoffs 14 straight years and only won one WS.

The giants were a fluke last year. And their pen was miles better than what the phils have.

nothing ensure's playoff success. that's why it's a crapshoot. get there and get hot at the right time. and right now they are well on their way to getting there again. that's the point. relax and enjoy greatness instead of worrying about one loss to arizona.
    Alright. You guys are content with things. Johnny and I are not.

This offense sucks balls
    The Fixer wrote:

This offense sucks balls

Right. I feel good about the team as a whole. But this is the worst Phillies offense since before Thome came here. It's not just last night - they haven't scored more than 4 runs in the last 2 weeks.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i traded howard and nick markakis for CC Sabathia and Carlos Quentin in my fantasy league ... based mostly on this thread ... hahahaha
    polaris_x wrote:
    i traded howard and nick markakis for CC Sabathia and Carlos Quentin in my fantasy league ... based mostly on this thread ... hahahaha

Nice. Howard isn't gonna put up good stats for a fantasy team, as Fixer will gladly tell you. :P

The Fixer wrote:

This offense sucks balls

Right. I feel good about the team as a whole. But this is the worst Phillies offense since before Thome came here. It's not just last night - they haven't scored more than 4 runs in the last 2 weeks.

Exactly. And the most concerning thing is the list of pitchers they have faced in those games.
    polaris_x wrote:

Nice. Howard isn't gonna put up good stats for a fantasy team, as Fixer will gladly tell you. :P

Quite the contrary. That's all he will do for you.

I drafted him in round 2 of one of my leagues. Ironically, that team is 0-3
    The Fixer wrote:

This offense sucks balls

i am with you on this. worst offense in years...but the best rotation ever--overall, how can you not feel good about that?

amaro/gillick have made a move to get us over the top each of the last 4 years. i have faith ruben will do it again, if need be.

we'll be fine.......it's april 26th! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Quite the contrary. That's all he will do for you.

I drafted him in round 2 of one of my leagues. Ironically, that team is 0-3

:o

this is my first year playing fantasy baseball. i can barely keep track of my team. no idea how people can juggle more than one team. i much prefer fantasy football. i'm always forgetting to check on my lineup each day :lol:
    www.myspace.com

this is my first year playing fantasy baseball. i can barely keep track of my team. no idea how people can juggle more than one team. i much prefer fantasy football. i'm always forgetting to check on my lineup each day :lol:

I thought you were the Juggler??? :lol:

Fixer & Dr0pTheLeash in multiple fantasy baseball leagues. Damn.

i can only juggle exotic fruit.
    www.myspace.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025

SWEET!!!!! I'm the only other poster in your now closed thread!@!!!! :mrgreen:

BTW, this seemed the safest place to post this.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

SWEET!!!!! I'm the only other poster in your now closed thread!@!!!! :mrgreen:

BTW, this seemed the safest place to post this.

haha....i don't see why that should have been locked. :?
    www.myspace.com

I rarely talk about fantasy sports because I know 100% of people not in one of my leagues could give two shits. I will say that fantasy baseball is 2 billion times better than fantasy football though. FF is mostly luck. Any turd can end up winning a FF league. FB takes some work (even if it's just weekly lineups, which most of my leagues are).
This discussion has been closed.