***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    5 weeks. someone hit the FF button. by far the worst time of year for sports right now

nah march is tuesday, best month of the year for sports starts then

march blows too. college hoops used to be good...not so much these days.

April is great...baseball, nfl draft (which was a billion times better on sat/sun), and NHL playoffs. And the sixers annual first round playoff ass kicking too. April destroys march.
  • The Fixer wrote:

April is great...baseball, nfl draft (which was a billion times better on sat/sun), and NHL playoffs. And the sixers annual first round playoff ass kicking too. April destroys march.

NFL Draft? I'd rather watch ants dig tunnels. But with baseball starting up April definitely wins.

March Madness is as good as it's ever been.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:

NFL Draft? I'd rather watch ants dig tunnels. But with baseball starting up April definitely wins.

the draft's always a drunken good time john.

march madness is fantastic. there are no real dominant teams this year which means sooo many teams have a shot. only a couple weeks away :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

last year's tourney was better than it had been in a while. I love seeing underdogs like butler, davidson, or mason do well (and teams like unc, duke, and nova lose early)

there aren't any good teams in college hoops anymore. I think the tourney is somewhat overrated. the first 4 days are great. it's usually downhill after that. plus there is nothing worse than hearing people talk about their bracket pools (except fantasy teams)

the NFL draft isn't for everyone. the new format stinks. NFL draft saturdays used to be great. I remember I had a big party a few years ago. NFL draft where eagles took shephard, brown, and lewis, flyers got destroyed by sabres, and sixers went down as reggie miller lit them up in the last 3 minutes...that night the phils did beat greg maddux though :D. there were a lot of angry drunks that night

april destroys march. no contest
  • the draft's always a drunken good time john.

Drinking games would have to be involved to make this interesting.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

here is the list from 2008. wow, horrible. their system is in great shape compared to that crap

Five-Star Prospects
    None
    Four-Star Prospects
    1. Carlos Carrasco, RHP
    2. Joe Savery, LHP
    Three-Star Prospects
    3. Adrian Cardenas, 2B
    4. Josh Outman, LHP
    5. Kyle Drabek, RHP
    6. Travis D'Arnaud, C
    7. Lou Marson, C
    8. Jason Donald, SS
    9. Dominic Brown, OF
    Two-Star Prospects
    10. Drew Carpenter, RHP
    11. Travis Mattair, 3B

Just Missing: Freddy Galvis, ss; Greg Golson, of; Julian Sampson, rhp
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    5 weeks. someone hit the FF button. by far the worst time of year for sports right now

the 10 days from the start of the big east/acc, etc. tourny's to the end of the 1st week of the ncaa tourny is awesome. it also has a smidgen of spring-like weather and gives you a glimpse that spring/summer is right around the corner. because of those things and the fact that winter around here fn sucks, march is my favorite month

but if i had to choose the best month for sports, probably september with baseball winding down, start of college football and the month when college football actually matters for almost every team and the nfl starting. if i had to vote i'd probably say september.
    the draft's always a drunken good time john.

Drinking games would have to be involved to make this interesting.

it's an annual party with my crew. my buddy's moving into his new pad about a month prior to it this year. huge-ass finished basement, built in bar......oh yes. might be the last nfl related thing we get to have fun with for a while.

i think fixer is way off base with the tourney though. its one of the greatest things in all of sports.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

the 10 days from the start of the big east/acc, etc. tourny's to the end of the 1st week of the ncaa tourny is awesome. it also has a smidgen of spring-like weather and gives you a glimpse that spring/summer is right around the corner. because of those things and the fact that winter around here fn sucks, march is my favorite month

but if i had to choose the best month for sports, probably september with baseball winding down, start of college football and the month when college football actually matters for almost every team and the nfl starting. if i had to vote i'd probably say september.

october is better than september (MLB playoffs, NFL, college football, NHL starts)

October, April, May, June is my order of best sports months. Feb/March are the worst by far.

The conf tourneys don't do anything for me. They really mean nothing. It's just a way for teams not worthy to steal bids from more deserving teams.

and winter is awesome. people that bitch about it should move somewhere with only spring and summer...like florida. I lived down there for a year and it sucks not having winter.

I'm bored...what else can we argue about?

i think fixer is way off base with the tourney though. its one of the greatest things in all of sports.

Used to love college hoops. I watched less than I ever have this year.

Of course I'll be at the bar those first couple of days to watch 12 hours of games. Not sure why, but after that first weekend, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to (even though I still watch all the games...usually because I am betting heavily).

I am probably going to lose my shirt this year betting the tourney games. I haven't seen half the teams in the top 25 play all season (San Diego St?? you gotta be kidding me). But I'm an idiot, so I will be betting on every game
    The Fixer wrote:
    october is better than september (MLB playoffs, NFL, college football, NHL starts)

October, April, May, June is my order of best sports months. Feb/March are the worst by far.

The conf tourneys don't do anything for me. They really mean nothing. It's just a way for teams not worthy to steal bids from more deserving teams.

and winter is awesome. people that bitch about it should move somewhere with only spring and summer...like florida. I lived down there for a year and it sucks not having winter.

if i move warm i'm going vegas or arizona. probably with vegas i'd either be broke or dead within a year. florida is way overrated.

winter is horrible. if it wasn't for college hoops in the winter id basically go postal. i hate it. i take like no days off between november and february because it's so damn bad.

october has really only been good for the last 4 years - before that october was when other teams were in the baseball playoffs, 90% of college football teams were done because they lost a game and the nfl reached the boring get me to the playoffs stage. start of regular season nhl is about as relevant as arena league.

edit: and fixer San Diego State is damn good but agree the quality of college hoops is pretty down right now. i don't see any great teams out there this year. agree 1st weekend is by far better than 2nd and 3rd weekend of tourny.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

if i move warm i'm going vegas or arizona. probably with vegas i'd either be broke or dead within a year. florida is way overrated.

winter is horrible. if it wasn't for college hoops in the winter id basically go postal. i hate it. i take like no days off between november and february because it's so damn bad.

october has really only been good for the last 4 years - before that october was when other teams were in the baseball playoffs, 90% of college football teams were done because they lost a game and the nfl reached the boring get me to the playoffs stage. start of regular season nhl is about as relevant as arena league.

edit: and fixer San Diego State is damn good.

I was just in Scottsdale for my national sales meeting last month. I'd been in the Phoenix airport a ton of times, but never actually been out to explore the state of arizona. It was pretty cool out there. It was actually cold as shit the week I was there. Temps in the high 30's and 40's...we froze our balls off. I oculd never live out there thoug. The west isn't for me. I love the NE cooridor...having DC, Philly, NY, and boston easily accessible is awesome. If I ever move out of the NE, the only place I would go is chicago...LOVE that city. I'd much rather be cold than sweating in 100 degree heat.

I almost died being in vagas for my bach party for 3 nights. No way in hell I could live there

who coaches SD st? wasn't steve fisher there for a while?
    also, the west coast of florida is pretty cool. clearwater is a great town

they call the southeast cooridor of florida the 6th borough of NYC. It's all NE people down there. There was a philly cheesesteak shop on the main strip of delray beach (where I lived). whenever I went in there with birds or phils shit on they gave me free shit. owners were from philly and were cool as hell.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

edit: and fixer San Diego State is damn good.

I was just in Scottsdale for my national sales meeting last month. I'd been in the Phoenix airport a ton of times, but never actually been out to explore the state of arizona. It was pretty cool out there. It was actually cold as shit the week I was there. Temps in the high 30's and 40's...we froze our balls off. I oculd never live out there thoug. The west isn't for me. I love the NE cooridor...having DC, Philly, NY, and boston easily accessible is awesome. If I ever move out of the NE, the only place I would go is chicago...LOVE that city. I'd much rather be cold than sweating in 100 degree heat.

I almost died being in vagas for my bach party for 3 nights. No way in hell I could live there

yup steve fisher still at San Diego State. it's like his 12th year. they play great D and their best player (Kawhli Leonard) is going to be a 1st round pick supposedly. I've seen them 3 or 4 times. they are definitely a final 4 threat.

agree with going west would be annoying for sports. even in vegas can't get used to the 10 am starts and 4pm starts. but cold sucks. chicago loved going there but no way could live there with that cold. i'd much rather 100 degrees than 10 or 20. i love the heat and love to build up a sweat. good stuff.
  • The Fixer wrote:

World War III has erupted in the "New Radiohead Album" thread. It makes our R6 arguments look like a philosophy debate.

The Fixer wrote:

World War III has erupted in the "New Radiohead Album" thread. It makes our R6 arguments look like a philosophy debate.

haha, awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Radiohead is one band that I could never get into. Always felt like I should like them, but I think they suck. I went through a similar phase with DMB in college. Everyone loved them and I never got it. They suck too
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Radiohead is one band that I could never get into. Always felt like I should like them, but I think they suck. I went through a similar phase with DMB in college. Everyone loved them and I never got it. They suck too

how is the new album johnny? i loved in rainbows.....i've only heard the one song off the new with the video of thom doing some weird dance. wasn't diggin it at all. is the rest of the album like that?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i think radiohead is a band for music snobs. 'look at me i'm cool because i like radiohead and they do these weird new things' - bleh not for me

dmb - some of their early stuff was pretty good but not so much now. saw them a few times live and even though i think they have some talented musicians show just wasn't for me. too much fluff - every other song is like the Evenflow solo. just move on you know. although if PJ ends up playing with them in AC i'll be there. Saw a thing on NBC10.com today about dmb in AC. looks like it is going to happen.

one thing about spring training that sucks, is when you look to be this good with such great starters you just want the season to start, only bad things can happen in the spring for us now.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yup steve fisher still at San Diego State. it's like his 12th year. they play great D and their best player (Kawhli Leonard) is going to be a 1st round pick supposedly. I've seen them 3 or 4 times. they are definitely a final 4 threat.

agree with going west would be annoying for sports. even in vegas can't get used to the 10 am starts and 4pm starts. but cold sucks. chicago loved going there but no way could live there with that cold. i'd much rather 100 degrees than 10 or 20. i love the heat and love to build up a sweat. good stuff.

there is nothing worse than sweating for no reason. probably the most uncomfortable thing of all time. I only like to sweat when I'm exercising

I think 9 am starts for college and 10 am for NFL would be great. that way you would miss all of the terrible NFL pregame shows.

I do admit that college gameday on espn is awesome. love fowler and herbstreit.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

there is nothing worse than sweating for no reason. probably the most uncomfortable thing of all time. I only like to sweat when I'm exercising

I think 9 am starts for college and 10 am for NFL would be great. that way you would miss all of the terrible NFL pregame shows.

I do admit that college gameday on espn is awesome. love fowler and herbstreit.

well i guess the 9 or 10 am starts wouldn't be bad if you weren't up until 4 or 5 am gambling and boozing like i am everytime in vegas :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i think radiohead is a band for music snobs. 'look at me i'm cool because i like radiohead and they do these weird new things' - bleh not for me

dmb - some of their early stuff was pretty good but not so much now. saw them a few times live and even though i think they have some talented musicians show just wasn't for me. too much fluff - every other song is like the Evenflow solo. just move on you know. although if PJ ends up playing with them in AC i'll be there. Saw a thing on NBC10.com today about dmb in AC. looks like it is going to happen.

one thing about spring training that sucks, is when you look to be this good with such great starters you just want the season to start, only bad things can happen in the spring for us now.

I will be really pissed if dmb is playing with PJ this summer. dave matthews has the most annoying voice since sting in roxanne...or the chick from the cranberries

and you're absolutely right about the spring training stuff. just get to april 1st
    pjhawks wrote:

well i guess the 9 or 10 am starts wouldn't be bad if you weren't up until 4 or 5 am gambling and boozing like i am everytime in vegas :D

excellent point. personally I think vegas sports books are weak. was there 2 years ago for the first weekend of the tourney. sports books were mobbed. never again. the 2nd weekend is probably a million times better

almost time for happy hour. what do I feel like polluting myself with tonight? anyone have any decent microbrews to recommend? I prefer stouts and porter types
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

music snobs? i'm hardly a music snob. i just appreciate cool music ;)

pj and dmb in ac? really? where did you hear this rumor? i gotta hop back on the porch more regularly

edit--you meant alpine valley right? :?
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    If PJ and DMB play in AC together I'm going to shoot myself in the head. What with all the frat douches in attendance - there's enough of them at a regular PJ show alone.

Thom Yorke's solo album I think is by far better than anything the band has done.

I love March - Erin Express, glimmers of good weather, going down AC for the A-10 tourney, the tourney, watching the Phils playing in 80 degree weather, always the chance of Clearwater trips of going from shitty weather in the morning to drinking at bar on the beach by the afternoon. Big fan of March - mostly because nothing can get as low as February. What a terrible month.

Fixer, I'm not a huge stout or porter fan, but Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter is a damn good beer. And I'm not gonna lie - I'm a huge Steadman and Hunter Thompson fan. Sly Fox's O'Reilly(?) Stout is good as well.

pj and dmb in ac? really? where did you hear this rumor? i gotta hop back on the porch more regularly

well you are a nova fan and nova fans are well ....

it was on the Porch a few weeks ago. apparantly McCready was hanging out with Stefan Lessard from DMB at the Sundance Film Festival and went on twitter asking their fans if they would like to see them play with Pearl Jam or Phish. Apparantly the rumor was PJ in AC. DMB is playing 4 festivals instead of touring and one is in AC at the old airport grounds. Apparantly NBC10 said their management was there checking the site out and it looks to be late June. Didn't say anything about PJ opening for them there but that was the original rumor a month or so ago. although i'm not sure June is do-able for PJ? who knows

Fixer - vegas sports book - agree on the sports books. not enough seats if you are there anytime that is a peak time. and most still have shitty large screen tvs that you can barely see. and way too much horse racing. i know those degenerates bet a lot of it and i enjoy horse racing but just way too much of it in those books. if AC gets sports gambling it will be even worse with the crowds.
    pjhawks wrote:

well you are a nova fan and nova fans are well ....

it was on the Porch a few weeks ago. apparantly McCready was hanging out with Stefan Lessard from DMB at the Sundance Film Festival and went on twitter asking their fans if they would like to see them play with Pearl Jam or Phish. Apparantly the rumor was PJ in AC. DMB is playing 4 festivals instead of touring and one is in AC at the old airport grounds. Apparantly NBC10 said their management was there checking the site out and it looks to be late June. Didn't say anything about PJ opening for them there but that was the original rumor a month or so ago. although i'm not sure June is do-able for PJ? who knows

Fixer - vegas sports book - agree on the sports books. not enough seats if you are there anytime that is a peak time. and most still have shitty large screen tvs that you can barely see. and way too much horse racing. i know those degenerates bet a lot of it and i enjoy horse racing but just way too much of it in those books. if AC gets sports gambling it will be even worse with the crowds.

oh...i always assumed that rumor was about alpine valley and whether they would place ac or alpine with pj?...who knows.......they gotta announce this fesitval thing ASAP. some of us gotta start planning their summer pto days

it is funny how in one thread i'm a snobby villanova fan. but in another i'm a neanderthal eagles fan :lol: :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    If PJ and DMB play in AC together I'm going to shoot myself in the head. What with all the frat douches in attendance - there's enough of them at a regular PJ show alone.

Thom Yorke's solo album I think is by far better than anything the band has done.

I love March - Erin Express, glimmers of good weather, going down AC for the A-10 tourney, the tourney, watching the Phils playing in 80 degree weather, always the chance of Clearwater trips of going from shitty weather in the morning to drinking at bar on the beach by the afternoon. Big fan of March - mostly because nothing can get as low as February. What a terrible month.

Fixer, I'm not a huge stout or porter fan, but Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter is a damn good beer. And I'm not gonna lie - I'm a huge Steadman and Hunter Thompson fan. Sly Fox's O'Reilly(?) Stout is good as well.

all have to check out that sly fox. I'm hitting maryland bars this weekend, so I'll probably get stuck drinking natty boh's. what a shit beer that is.

Erin Express...ah, the good old days

I definitely can't get into the A-10 tourney. St Bonnaventure vs Duquesne...YES!!!
    edited February 2011
    it is funny how in one thread i'm a snobby villanova fan. but in another i'm a neanderthal eagles fan :lol: :thumbup:

what can i say you are a complex dude :lol:

agree on the announcement. i'm not going to fn wisconsin. maybe toronto or montreal though if they do canada. just like to find out for sure.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    The Fixer wrote:

all have to check out that sly fox. I'm hitting maryland bars this weekend, so I'll probably get stuck drinking natty boh's. what a shit beer that is.

Erin Express...ah, the good old days

I definitely can't get into the A-10 tourney. St Bonnaventure vs Duquesne...YES!!!

A-10's a surprisingly good time in AC. Cheap tickets, cheap beers. We hit the Irish Pub first, then the tourney, then the poker tables.

I know Flying Dog is made in MD, so they may have it in excess, who knows...
This discussion has been closed.