***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    I thought Dan Baker still does Birds games too?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    One of my favorite articles of the year...here are the keith law's prospect rankings for the phils beasts in training. He has their minor league system rated 5th best in MLB. LOOOOVE the power arms that they are developing. And singleton is already better than howard (I'm kidding...kind of)

Rank Player
    3 Domonic Brown
    Bats: Left Throws: Left
    Position: Outfield Organization: Philadelphia Phillies
    Top '10 Level: Majors (Philadelphia)
    2010 ranking: 14

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    93AB
    343HR
    20RBI
    68SB

SO
    74BB
    37AVG
    .327OBP
    .391SLG

Brown demolished Double-A and Triple-A in 2010, yet still has a lot of raw aspects to his game. He may just be the rare, special talent who has to complete most of his baseball development in the majors because minor league pitching isn't a sufficient challenge for him.

Brown has all five natural tools, and shows some refinement at the plate, where he works the count reasonably well and never had an issue with making contact until he reached Philadelphia. His swing can be a little long, but he accelerates his hands so quickly that, in the long run, I don't expect him to be a significant swing-and-miss hitter and he has the hip rotation and leverage to hit for above-average to plus power. His reads in right field still need work and despite a strong arm he tends to throw off the wrong foot, but those are problems that can be fixed with time and better instruction in the majors.

He's not likely to fill Jayson Werth's offensive shoes right away, but if the Phillies are patient Brown can be that kind of hitter when he peaks after a few years in the big leagues.

Rank Player
    27 Jonathan Singleton
    Bats: Left Throws: Left
    Position: 1B/LF Organization: Philadelphia Phillies
    Top '10 Level: A (Lakewood)
    2010 ranking: NR

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    104AB
    376HR
    14RBI
    77SB

SO
    74BB
    62AVG
    .290OBP
    .393SLG
    Singleton started out like a house on fire in low A, cooled off a little in July, then hit the wall in August as the length of the season caught up to him. He's put together physically, listed at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds, but probably stronger than that already. Given experience, he should have no trouble going 150-160 games without fading.

His swing is one of the best in the minors, with good hand speed, balance and rhythm at the plate, along with excellent hip rotation for future plus power. He can get out on his front foot too much, which will rob him of a little juice, but he gets great extension through the zone and, if he keeps his weight back, he should be a 25-30 homer guy at worst. He recognizes balls and strikes well but has a little trouble with offspeed stuff, especially from left-handed pitchers.

He is an athletic defender at first base and probably will be well above average there in time, but the Phillies will test him in left field this year, a position he probably can handle but where he might be more of an average glove. Singleton should start 2011 in Clearwater, but between the gorgeous swing and patient eye at the plate, he is primed to head to Double-A by midyear if he gets off to the start I expect from him.

Rank Player
    34 Jarred Cosart
    Bats: Right Throws: Right
    Position: Pitcher Organization: Philadelphia Phillies
    2010 ranking: UR

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    14IP
    71.1W
    7L
    3ERA

SO
    77BB
    16H
    60HR
    3BAA
    Cosart has one of the best pure fastballs among minor league starters and was busy dismantling the South Atlantic League when his elbow started barking in June, leading the Phillies to shut him down and handle him very conservatively. His only game innings the remainder of the year came in the instructional league, where his velocity was intact, 95-98 mph with no arm trouble reported. When healthy, Cosart also throws a plus curveball with tight rotation and good depth, and his changeup projects as an average pitch although it's not there yet.

His control is ahead of his command, especially when it comes to the two offspeed pitches, but his delivery shouldn't be an obstacle and he has the frame to be a 200-inning pitcher when he fills out. It's a pretty special package overall, with the potential to be in the top 10 this time next year if he has a full season without any more scares from his arm. Not bad for a 38th-round pick.

Rank Player
    76 Brody Colvin

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    27IP
    138.0W
    6L
    8ERA

SO
    120BB
    42H
    138HR
    7BAA
    Colvin spurned the local school, LSU, to sign with Philadelphia in 2009, and has since emerged as their No. 2 pitching prospect behind Jarred Cosart. Right now, he's all about velocity/stuff while his command still lags behind.

Colvin will pitch at 91-95, losing a little velocity from the stretch; he accelerates his arm very quickly and gets good extension out front, so the ball appears to come quickly out of his hand toward the hitter. His downward-fading changeup, about 10 mph slower than his fastball, is ahead of his upper-70s slider, which has some tilt but tends to flatten out on him. Colvin cuts himself off in his delivery and struggles to command the ball to his glove side as a result; it could also explain the trouble getting consistent break on the slider.

He's crude, but strong with a very live arm, with the upside of a No. 2 starter if that breaking ball becomes an above-average weapon for him.

Rank Player
    93 Trevor May
    Top '10 Level: A+ (Clearwater)

2010 MINORS STATS

GM
    27IP
    135.0W
    12L
    8ERA

SO
    182BB
    81H
    104HR
    10BAA
    May started out fine in the Florida State League. But as he started to struggle he began to try to do too much and lost command of both his fastball and breaking ball. As a result, he had to go back down a level to right himself, which he did, dominating the level where he'd been so-so in 77 innings the year before.

May has an above-average fastball, 91-95, with good life but no ability to generate ground balls. His curve shows average and has improved slightly each year, while his changeup grades out as average but resulted in reverse platoon splits (a good sign) at both levels this year.

May is physical and looks like he should be leading someone's rotation, with a fairly easy delivery from a 3/4 slot that lets him get on top of the ball. The results need to match the promise this year, but his finish at Lakewood is a very positive sign in that direction.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,623

he does. but they also have this ed guy do the on field stuff and introduce the players and swoooop. he's the "hype up the crowd :roll: " guy while baker is the regular play by play-ish PA guy.

i meant to ask dan baker to record the intros for my wedding reception cuz i heard stories of him doing that for people. alas, i am the world's laziest human being and didn't get around to it. probably too late now.
    www.myspace.com

he does. but they also have this ed guy do the on field stuff and introduce the players and swoooop. he's the "hype up the crowd :roll: " guy while baker is the regular play by play-ish PA guy.

i meant to ask dan baker to record the intros for my wedding reception cuz i heard stories of him doing that for people. alas, i am the world's laziest human being and didn't get around to it. probably too late now.

When's your wedding? I know he does away games sometimes at Chickie's and Pete's.

And, Fixer, that post gave me a boner.

When's your wedding? I know he does away games sometimes at Chickie's and Pete's.

3/19....gonna miss a ton of march madness between the rehearsal dinner, wedding, and honeymoon. i've just realized this today. :x
    www.myspace.com

sweet, that was my goal.

first matt anderson, now this. could make for some interesting ST stories

Another reclamation project may be coming into the fold, most likely to Lehigh Valley as unconfirmed reports have the Phils signing veteran RHP Jason Grilli to a Minor League deal. Grilli, 34, missed all of last season after suffering a knee injury in Spring Training, after an invite from the Indians. Grilli’s best year came in 2008, as he went 3-3 with a 3.00 in 60 appearances split between the Tigers and the Rockies.

Grilli was originally the Giants 1st round pick (4th overall) in the 1997 amateur draft and has thrown in 238 MLB games, including 169 between 2007-2009.
    Good shit. I'm hoping that francisco gets more than 300 ABs. I'd like to see around 450

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2011 ... tions.html
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    The Fixer wrote:
    Good shit. I'm hoping that francisco gets more than 300 ABs. I'd like to see around 450

I like Bill James and I like his projections but no fucking way Dom Brown comes close to that. I think he had some pretty outrageous projections for Montero too.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I like Bill James and I like his projections but no fucking way Dom Brown comes close to that. I think he had some pretty outrageous projections for Montero too.

yeah, I agree. I don't even think brown makes the team out of ST.

I was reading that the most SBs brown has had in the minors is 23 and somehow james projects him to steal 28 in the majors. That doesn't make any sense to me.

brown's predictions are similar to utley's...um, don't think that has any chance in hell of happening.

hopefully james is right, but I agree with you
    i just made a mess in my pants reading those projections.

first undefeated team in the history of baseball. book it.
    :mrgreen::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, I agree. I don't even think brown makes the team out of ST.

I was reading that the most SBs brown has had in the minors is 23 and somehow james projects him to steal 28 in the majors. That doesn't make any sense to me.

brown's predictions are similar to utley's...um, don't think that has any chance in hell of happening.

hopefully james is right, but I agree with you

Funny about the stolen bases. It's funny, he has Dom Brown having an almost idential year to Utley. I think Utley hits those numbers much easier than Brown does.

You know better than I do but I would agree and imagine Brown wouldn't be on the team out of ST.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Funny about the stolen bases. It's funny, he has Dom Brown having an almost idential year to Utley. I think Utley hits those numbers much easier than Brown does.

You know better than I do but I would agree and imagine Brown wouldn't be on the team out of ST.

The way I look at it...if brown completely blows up in ST, he could make the team. I just don't see it though. Gotta figure that Francisco is gonna get the majority of PT in RF to start (especially vs lefties). I'd rather see brown get a full month or two of ABs at AAA. I don't think he's ready to start in the majors and play every other day (or however the platoon split breaks out).

just my opinion...that will be the big story to watch this spring.

This season can't get here fast enough
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    WTF??? no posts for 3 days?? :shock: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

I know. Crazy. That's gotta be some kind of a record.
  • Okay Phillies fans, place your bets. Is it too early to shit talk for spring training games? I say no.

Phillies vs. Red Sox 2011 (not including World Series)

Spring Training:
    Thursday, March 3 1:05PM
    Monday, March 21 1:05PM

Interleague:
    Tuesday, June 28 7:05PM
    Wednesday, June 29 7:05PM
    Thursday, June 30 1:05PM

How about Lester outdueling Lee in Philly? We got that to look forward to.

edit: who's the better lefty? Lester is the correct answer to that question.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Okay Phillies fans, place your bets. Is it too early to shit talk for spring training games? I say no.

Phillies vs. Red Sox 2011 (not including World Series)

Spring Training:
    Thursday, March 3 1:05PM
    Monday, March 21 1:05PM

Interleague:

How about Lester outdueling Lee in Philly? We got that to look forward to.

edit: who's the better lefty? Lester is the correct answer to that question.

I won't argue with you there. Even if they're about the same in talent and statistics, I'll take Lester's age no doubt.

But, we'll still pretty fackin awesome so we got that going for us. Oh, and you have the AL East. Good luck with that.
  • Interleague:

We always struggle in the Red Sox series. Funny how the stadiums are always full of people cheering for the away team.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I meant to do it last summer, but couldn't make it happen because of school, but the next time the Phils play up at Fenway I'm definitely hitting it up.
    I meant to do it last summer, but couldn't make it happen because of school, but the next time the Phils play up at Fenway I'm definitely hitting it up.

did it back in 04/05-ish. legendary trip.
    www.myspace.com
    i'm loving the comments from rollins, victorino and the guys about all the attention the rotation is getting.

our lineup seems to have a chip on it's collective shoulder. needless to say, i like it. get mean.
    www.myspace.com
  • i'm loving the comments from rollins, victorino and the guys about all the attention the rotation is getting.

our lineup seems to have a chip on it's collective shoulder. needless to say, i like it. get mean.

Yea, I'm liking this too. Hopefully everyone is underestimating these guys.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    imalive wrote:

is it the weather? it's cold as fuck out here. windchills well below zero. I about froze my face off, walking my dog at the park :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

is it the weather? it's cold as fuck out here. windchills well below zero. I about froze my face off, walking my dog at the park :wtf:

Definitely a sports-malaise around here, with the NHL All-Star break, the hated Steelers in the Super Bowl, Spring Training not for a couple more weeks. Plus Temple & Nova are kind of flagging in conference play.

from the SF Chronicle...

Q: Have the Phillies already locked down the National League pennant?

A: Conventional wisdom says the Phillies blotted out all other contenders' names, and the Giants' chances to defend, when they signed Cliff Lee. Their rotation is a vintage version of the Giants', and their everyday lineup has two MVPs. Their farm system has yielded Domonic Brown, an outfielder labeled the best prospect in MLB by Baseball America last year.

If Brown has the maturity to step into the right-field job vacated by Jayson Werth (a distinct uncertainty), the Phillies absolutely will be the Yankees of the NL. Philadelphia's pitching, however, will make it even better-equipped to perform in the postseason.

But caveats surround the Phillies. First, hype is usually not helpful to a baseball team, and they're swimming in it. Second, the bullpen will lack a shutdown closer if Brad Lidge can't recover his 2008 form. Last, health problems undermined this team last year and can't be discounted as a threat now.

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins played about half the season. Second baseman Chase Utley missed almost a third. First baseman Ryan Howard sprained an ankle in August. He played in 143 games, but his power was off. For the first time in five years, he didn't hit at least 45 homers. (He had 31.)

Utley's power has spiraled down every year since 2007, his slugging percentage dropping from .566 to .445. A damaged thumb turned him into a very unsteady fielder in the NLCS against the Giants, and he couldn't do much at the plate.

But with good health, the Phillies will have the most daunting starting rotation in baseball combined with what is arguably one of the top three everyday lineups.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    from the SF Chronicle...

Q: Have the Phillies already locked down the National League pennant?

I know newspapers have to write bold headlines, but this is just stupid. Nobody can lock down anything until October.

Many of us on this board are very concerned about the Phils' aging roster, especially the offense.

Only thing was Brad Lidge pretty much regained his 2008 form in the 2nd half of 2010. He was just underutilized in the playoffs.

Only thing was Brad Lidge pretty much regained his 2008 form in the 2nd half of 2010. He was just underutilized in the playoffs.
    yeah, my giants didn't give you a whole lot of leads to work with, did they? :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    yeah, my giants didn't give you a whole lot of leads to work with, did they? :lol::lol:

No, our offense didn't give us much to work with...
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/p ... ws-jr.html

Not a huge deal, but worth a shot for the minimum and to take a flyer on
    And these shirts are fantastic....
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop% ... 20heritage

ha! yeah those are pretty cool. the ozzie smith one is the best.

my only issue is the big nike swoosh
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.