***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    ALSO, my marketing management professor had a huuuuge rip on Ryan Howard tonight. It was awesome. Something along the lines of relative return of investment and the such... and how a professional baseball player who is successful at doing his job 26% of the time, hits under 40 homers ,and strikes out with the bat on his shoulder with the season on the line, gets paid a cool 25 million dollars. I had a shit eating grin on my face ear to ear. You could hear the moans under everyone's breath just by the fact that he brought it up. I think I like this professor.

is Fixer your Professor ?

I was thinking about asking him if he frequents any Pearl Jam message boards.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    ALSO, my marketing management professor had a huuuuge rip on Ryan Howard tonight. It was awesome. Something along the lines of relative return of investment and the such... and how a professional baseball player who is successful at doing his job 26% of the time, hits under 40 homers ,and strikes out with the bat on his shoulder with the season on the line, gets paid a cool 25 million dollars. I had a shit eating grin on my face ear to ear. You could hear the moans under everyone's breath just by the fact that he brought it up. I think I like this professor.

He has been suspiciously absent...
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Yeah, I know he's in the middle of a move.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Yeah, I know he's in the middle of a move.

Moving and been traveling a lot for new job. Was in Richmond all this week, KC week before that, scotsdale in 2 weeks. I'm all over the place right now. It's good shit though, this new job is gonna kick ass.

Not sure if anyone posted this...now all the new fans will know when to cheer.

The Phillies are No. 1 . . .

In scoreboard size in the National League.

The team announced a $10 million upgrade that includes their video board in left-centerfield at Citizens Bank Park. The new HD screen will be 76 feet high and 97 feet wide, totaling 7,372 square feet of digital space. How big is that? Well, the original board, which has been in place since the park opened in 2004, was 2,759 square feet.

"The new technology and dramatically larger screen will bring our fans closer to the action than ever," said Mark DiNardo, director of broadcasting and video services.

sounds like a smart guy
    Yeah, we went over the scoreboard thing....feel free to peruse the convo. MUCH better over the layout they used to have.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    National Mechanics bloody mary bar is the absolute shit.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Ya think so? I'm so-so on that place.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I dont like the bar all that much but have you ever had their do it yourself bloody mary bar with all the hot sauce and mixtures you could possibly think of? They give you a glass with vodka and let you go to work with everything you could ever want in a bloody mary.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I dont like the bar all that much but have you ever had their do it yourself bloody mary bar with all the hot sauce and mixtures you could possibly think of? They give you a glass with vodka and let you go to work with everything you could ever want in a bloody mary.

Well, that makes sense then. I think the bar blows, but that open bloody mary bar is intriguing.
    Well, that makes sense then. I think the bar blows, but that open bloody mary bar is intriguing.

Agreed, first of all it has ZERO tv's. That's not a good start.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

'Cause it's a hipster doofus bar. The worst.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

'Cause it's a hipster doofus bar. The worst.

That it is. One of the bartenders in there today was the definition.
    Prospect lists starting to show up.

keith law (best analyst in the industry outside of baseball america) has the phils minor league system ranked 5th. Surprising ranking as most of their talent is in single A. His top 100 list is out tomorrow.

MLB.com had their top 50 prospects out today. Brown and Singleton both made the list. Cosart was 51.

I'm looking forward to seeing Law and BA's lists. Brown and Singleton are locks. I think Colvin, Cosart, May, and Biddle have a shot to be included in the top 100.

Love this shit...less than 2 months until the Fixer hits Clearwater.
    Paul Hagen is a dipshit. This would be an awful fit. Rowand is below average in the OF and he is nothing special offensively. I believe he would be a downgrade from francisco.

Also, Mayberry better not make this fucking team. He would be worse than chris coste in '08.

I love how hagen uses stats from 2007 to support this article. Fucking idiot. How does this shit get printed??

A LOT OF TIME and energy have been spent this offseason debating how the Phillies plan to fill the rather large hole left by the departure of rightfielder Jayson Werth. Will Ben Francisco be the answer? A Francisco-Ross Gload platoon? Where does John Mayberry Jr. fit into all this? Will top prospect Domonic Brown be given a legit shot at winning the spot even though it would mean adding another lefthanded bat to an already unbalanced lineup?

All are possibilities. When manager Charlie Manuel says he doesn't know what his lineup will be, he's not being coy. He really doesn't.

What hasn't gotten a lot of attention is the possibility that Werth's replacement could be somebody who isn't even on the roster at the moment.

There are several outfielders who could be available before Opening Day, but it says here that the best option just might be a blast from the past: Aaron Rowand.

When his name surfaced at the winter meetings, Giants general manager Brian Sabean said he hadn't even spoken to the Phillies about the possibility. Still, these are the sort of deals that tend to develop after teams get to camp and get a chance to eyeball what they have. And it remains a possibility that the Phillies brass will be so blown away by what they see in Clearwater, Fla., that they won't feel the need to go outside the organization.

If not, though, Rowand is an intriguing alternative.

He was supposed to be the face of the Giants' turnaround when he signed that 5-year, $60 million free-agent contract before the 2008 season. By the time San Francisco hoisted the trophy last fall, he was little more than an expensive afterthought. And going into this season, he still appears to be on the outside looking in.

The Phillies would want the Giants to pick up most of the $24 million he is owed the next 2 years, and that could be a sticking point. The Giants could reason that if they're paying the money anyway, they might as well keep him around. They might not be impressed by what the Phillies could offer in return. Or they might be reluctant to help a team they had to beat in the National League Championship Series to get to the World Series in the first place.

But if there's a will and a way, Rowand might be a perfect low-risk, high-reward move. He's coming off a terrible year but is a righthanded batter who hit .309 with 27 home runs, 45 doubles, 105 runs and 89 RBI the last time he played his home games at Citizens Bank Park. He's still just 33. He's a good clubhouse guy who would be an antidote to the complacency that manager Charlie Manuel sometimes worries about.

It's at least something to watch.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    You can take Rowand, but you're gonna have to take most of his contract too :lol: . Would your GM also be interested in a crafty LHP? I never understood the whole "we'll pay you to take our garbage" thing :? .

this thread is awesome. more activity in the off season than the World Champs had thru all of last year :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 2011
    imalive wrote:
    You can take Rowand, but you're gonna have to take most of his contract too :lol: . Would your GM also be interested in a crafty LHP? I never understood the whole "we'll pay you to take our garbage" thing :? .

this thread is awesome. more activity in the off season than the World Champs had thru all of last year :?

You're welcome in here any time, dude! :thumbup:

And that Rowand thing has been mulled around all off-season. And I just don't get it, I just think the reporters are running out of stuff to write about. Giants would need to eat a bunch of that money. And I don't see him as a huge upgrade over Francisco. Always liked the guy though - even though he had a ring with Chicago, I'm glad he got another because I know he was pissed when the Phils won the year after he left.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    imalive wrote:

You're welcome in here any time, dude! :thumbup:

And that Rowand thing has been mulled around all off-season. And I just don't get it, I just think the reporters are running out of stuff to write about. Giants would need to eat a bunch of that money. And I don't see him as a huge upgrade over Rowand. Always liked the guy though - even though he had a ring with Chicago, I'm glad he got another because I know he was pissed when the Phils won the year after he left.

I like rowand too, but I don't want him on the phils.

And I agree with JP, the giants would have to take most or all of rowands salary in order for the phils to take him.

For Hagen to insinuate that this would be a good move just boggles my mind
    Woops. I really gotta start reading my posts before I put them up. I meant he's really not a huge upgrade over Francisco.

I hate this fucking weather. Let's talk baseball to keep it off my mind, boys. ENTERTAIN ME!
    Woops. I really gotta start reading my posts before I put them up. I meant he's really not a huge upgrade over Francisco.

I hate this fucking weather. Let's talk baseball to keep it off my mind, boys. ENTERTAIN ME!

I think it would be a downgrade from francisco.

anyway, I love this weather. much better than 90 and humid.

My bachelor pad in towson is open for business. Had a few buddies down last weekend to help me move in. The wife was dress shopping with a friend of hers that's getting hitched in a few months. Anyway, let's just say that the towson U bars still have the talent that I remember. And I'm not talking about the $1.50 miller lites.
    Yeah, I guess that's a better way to put it - that it's more of a downgrade than anything.

Good to hear man. How's the shitty weather down there? As bad as it is here. My car's somewhere up the in the middle of the road. I couldn't get down the street so I just said fuck it and walked the rest of the way.
    Fixer, KLaws top 100 are out. Hook some brothers up. I hear the Yankees had a solid showing.
    Yeah, I guess that's a better way to put it - that it's more of a downgrade than anything.

Good to hear man. How's the shitty weather down there? As bad as it is here. My car's somewhere up the in the middle of the road. I couldn't get down the street so I just said fuck it and walked the rest of the way.

I haven't been out yet. I think we got around 10-12". About to head out and and make a few sales calls, then I'm heading up there to see my wife and dog. That sucks about your car. I have 4 wheel drive, so I should be fine. plus I'm sure most of the highways are fine by now.

I saw that other thread about the philly PJ bar. Anyone hit that place yet?
    edited January 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Fixer, KLaws top 100 are out. Hook some brothers up. I hear the Yankees had a solid showing.

I haven't seen the link for the full top 100 yet. He had 8 names that barely missed the top 100. Only AL or NL east guy was one of your boys...

Austin Romine, C, NY Yankees: He can throw and hit for power, but has struggled with basic receiving tasks every time I've seen him in the past six months, something I've confirmed with other pro scouts. And I'm not sold on the hit tool.

EDIT: Law's list must have leaked somewhere...it's not posted on ESPN yet
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer wrote:

I haven't been out yet. I think we got around 10-12". About to head out and and make a few sales calls, then I'm heading up there to see my wife and dog. That sucks about your car. I have 4 wheel drive, so I should be fine. plus I'm sure most of the highways are fine by now.

I've been in there when it was a place called Yager's, and they had a pretty sweet selection of beer. I'm sure that hasn't changed, but nah, haven't been there for Monday nights yet. I'll make it a point to get there at some point as long as Ed keeps the idea going. Who knows, maybe we could get all the goons that traffic these Philly threads to get there, get drunk, and then argue with each other.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I haven't seen the link for the full top 100 yet. He had 8 names that barely missed the top 100. Only AL or NL east guy was one of your boys...

Austin Romine, C, NY Yankees: He can throw and hit for power, but has struggled with basic receiving tasks every time I've seen him in the past six months, something I've confirmed with other pro scouts. And I'm not sold on the hit tool.

He has Banuelos at number 12 overall, fuck yeah, and the 4th best pitching prospect in baseball. This is the first time I have heard anyone this high on him.
    The Fixer wrote:

I've been in there when it was a place called Yager's, and they had a pretty sweet selection of beer. I'm sure that hasn't changed, but nah, haven't been there for Monday nights yet. I'll make it a point to get there at some point as long as Ed keeps the idea going. Who knows, maybe we could get all the goons that traffic these Philly threads to get there, get drunk, and then argue with each other.

Yeah, it's weird...I used to be down in that Olde City area all the time. I don't remember half of the names of the bars we used to go to. I was either too hammered to know where I was or those places have changed their names.

I do remember spending a lot of time at Lucy's Hat Shop. My roommates cousin was from Ireland and she bartended there. Bartender hookeups are worth their weight in gold.

That age from 25-30 is the best. You're out of college and working so you have some money (unless you're in grad school), probably single, and still drinking like you're in college. I wish I could have stayed that age forever.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He has Banuelos at number 12 overall, fuck yeah, and the 4th best pitching prospect in baseball. This is the first time I have heard anyone this high on him.

Wow, that is higher than I've seen as well. Outside of BA, Law is the best...his projections are usually pretty accurate.

Baseball America's list should be out any day now as well. I love this shit
    The Fixer wrote:
    That age from 25-30 is the best. You're out of college and working so you have some money (unless you're in grad school), probably single, and still drinking like you're in college. I wish I could have stayed that age forever.

Ahh, now this is good shit. I have about two years left in this category. But who am I kidding, not much will change probably after 30 either.
    The Fixer wrote:

Ahh, now this is good shit. I have about two years left in this category. But who am I kidding, not much will change probably after 30 either.

Trust me, things start to change. People start getting married and having kids, therefore not hanging out as much.

Don't get me wrong, my wife is awesome and I wouldn't trade her, but that period before I met her was an incredible run of debatchery. I loved it.

The lesson is that getting old generally sucks
This discussion has been closed.