***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    Oh, and there's always the chance to get plenty of tickets at ballparks no more than 2 hours away. Waiting for the days to come when it's like Eagles games, and it makes more sense to go to away games. And I don't think those days are far off.
    Alright, so I'm assuming the following to me is how this roster is going to play out. I'm including Blanton because whether he's here or not, there will be essentially 2 spots on the roster to fill and I have to assume they come in-house...this is my assumption. And I don't mind Vic in the 5 spot...

And I'm thinking they may start with 13 fielders and 12 pitchers as opposed to the opposite sine they drafted that rule 5 pick and if they can keep Herndon around for 5 months then this dude Martinez may do the same. Not to mention have 4, possibly 5, inning eaters. Looking at this, I really don't have a problem with this roster for the most part.

1. Rollins-SS
    2. Polanco-3B
    3. Utley-2B
    4. Howard-1B
    5. Victorino-CF(or swap with Francisco)
    6. Ibanez-LF
    7. Francisco-RF(or swap with Vic)
    8. Ruiz

Bench-
    C-Schneider
    1B/LF/RF-Gload
    IF-Valdez
    open spot?

Rotation
    1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

Pen
    LR-Kendrick
    LR-open spot?
    MR-Baez
    MR-Bastardo
    MR-Contreras
    SU-Reyes
    SU-Madson
    CP-Lidge

Potential roster fills -
    Fielders
    Rule 5 - Martinez
    Brown
    Mayberry(slim chance)

Pitchers
    Worley
    Zagurski
    Mathieson
    Herndon
    Escalona
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978

Think about that - Phillies seaon ticket waiting list. Just wow.

Cliff's comments today about playing here in this ballpark, with our fans, Jesus, I couldn't get up from my chair because my head was ballooning at an astonishing rate.
    good for you fuckers :mrgreen:

I think of all the other cozy new stadiums that don't draw shit for attendance b/c ownership doesn't put a team on the field (I don't know which is the chicken; which is the egg) - reds, pirates, padres, d-bags (not cozy, but new), o's (not new, but cozy), mets, houston.....the list goes on and on and on.

p.s. my giants have kept it going pretty good for 10 years. in our darkest, post Barry years, we were still at about 90%. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:

Cliff's comments today about playing here in this ballpark, with our fans, Jesus, I couldn't get up from my chair because my head was ballooning at an astonishing rate.

I think of all the other cozy new stadiums that don't draw shit for attendance b/c ownership doesn't put a team on the field (I don't know which is the chicken; which is the egg) - reds, pirates, padres, d-bags (not cozy, but new), o's (not new, but cozy), mets, houston.....the list goes on and on and on.

p.s. my giants have kept it going pretty good for 10 years. in our darkest, post Barry years, we were still at about 90%. :mrgreen:

The Reds & Padres attendance is just pathetic. I know there are other things to do in SD, but going to a baseball game is still pretty fun. And the Reds ballpark is absolutely spectacular and underrated (it was part of our ballpark tour last summer). The Giants' fanbase has been very solid ever since Pac Bell opened, and they deserved the title; I still think the team itself was garbage this year, but they did it so more power to 'em.

The Phils huge payroll has everything to do with unprecedented support of the team by a large city.

In '07, my wife and I couldn't even get anyone to go in on a 17 game plan with us, so we just got 2 tixx. Then we upped to 4 in '08, and now you can't get the things.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    imalive wrote:

The Reds & Padres attendance is just pathetic. I know there are other things to do in SD, but going to a baseball game is still pretty fun. And the Reds ballpark is absolutely spectacular and underrated (it was part of our ballpark tour last summer). The Giants' fanbase has been very solid ever since Pac Bell opened, and they deserved the title; I still think the team itself was garbage this year, but they did it so more power to 'em.

The Phils huge payroll has everything to do with unprecedented support of the team by a large city.

In '07, my wife and I couldn't even get anyone to go in on a 17 game plan with us, so we just got 2 tixx. Then we upped to 4 in '08, and now you can't get the things.

what was so great about great american ballpark johnny? just curious.
    www.myspace.com
    Alright, so I'm assuming the following to me is how this roster is going to play out. I'm including Blanton because whether he's here or not, there will be essentially 2 spots on the roster to fill and I have to assume they come in-house...this is my assumption. And I don't mind Vic in the 5 spot...

And I'm thinking they may start with 13 fielders and 12 pitchers as opposed to the opposite sine they drafted that rule 5 pick and if they can keep Herndon around for 5 months then this dude Martinez may do the same. Not to mention have 4, possibly 5, inning eaters. Looking at this, I really don't have a problem with this roster for the most part.

1. Rollins-SS
    2. Polanco-3B
    3. Utley-2B
    4. Howard-1B
    6. Ibanez-LF
    8. Ruiz

Bench-
    C-Schneider
    1B/LF/RF-Gload
    IF-Valdez
    open spot?

Rotation
    1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

Pen
    LR-Kendrick
    LR-open spot?
    MR-Baez
    MR-Bastardo
    MR-Contreras
    SU-Reyes
    SU-Madson
    CP-Lidge

Potential roster fills -
    Fielders
    Rule 5 - Martinez
    Brown
    Mayberry(slim chance)

Pitchers
    Worley
    Zagurski
    Mathieson
    Herndon
    Escalona

assuming everyone bounces back from subpar years, that lineup still looks pretty damn good....chooch has got to be one of the best hitters out of the 8 hole in the league.
    www.myspace.com
  • what was so great about great american ballpark johnny? just curious.

It has everything going. It's right there on the river, right in downtown. It's got that nice red look to it, with the steam mill and all. Seats are great, sightlines are great, good food, good drinks (even good ice cream from local dairy farmers). Tickets are pretty affordable and easy to get. People are friendly, even to Phillies fans. Just a good time.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited December 2010
    "The wrote:
    assuming everyone bounces back from subpar years, that lineup still looks pretty damn good....chooch has got to be one of the best hitters out of the 8 hole in the league.

Yeah, definitely. I can't see a reason, other than injury, why these guys wouldn't bounce back at least a little bit. And a little bit is all we really need. Rollins in a contract year, Polanco hit .300 with a bum elbow, Utley will probably get scheduled days off so he doesn't wear down, Howard was on pace for his regular numbers or there about but missed a month of playing time, Shane has stated he's going to get back to more small ball(drag bunts and the such like he should be doing), Raul being more than a year removed from that injury I think he bounces back a bit - he works too hard not to - and Chooch, what can ya say, he does exactly what a 8 hole hitter should. Wouldn't mind maybe moving up to 7 in the order. And Francisco has the tools, just needs the playing time. Wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a 20/20 guy in this lineup.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I remember the Braves adding Greg Maddux to Smoltz, Glavine & Avery. In October, they were watching the Phillies celebrate the pennant in the Vet. So let's not suck each other's popsicles just yet.

the '71 orioles didn't win the WS either.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    locked in at the right time. :mrgreen: i'm expecting to get at least one other usage out of it in the next few years.

haha, I hear you. Not an unreasonable expectation.

On a side note, why do teams weigh contracts so heavily at the end? You would think they would want to get it out of the way in a players best years so they can possibly move them down the road if they have to. Lee's fucking option year is for $27.5 mil. That's a fucking lot.

dude, I said the same thing. Makes the guy next to impossible to get rid of after his best years are behind him. I don't get it either
    season starts on a friday next year huh? weird...

6 game packages are still available. i know there was some discussion about that the other day...

I bet the seats suck though

I was talking about it earlier...I would pull up 3 games with good seats but then the other 3 nose bleed

There isn't a bad seat in that place. Well, there sorta is - the seats up top on the third base side (430-ish I guess) where they bend around. You can't see part of left field there and they really squeeze you in.

I got stuck in the rooftop bleachers for the Damon/Arod WS game. Worst seats ever.

I'm a sports/concert ticket snob...I hate sitting up top
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    locked in at the right time. :mrgreen: i'm expecting to get at least one other usage out of it in the next few years.

On a side note, why do teams weigh contracts so heavily at the end? You would think they would want to get it out of the way in a players best years so they can possibly move them down the road if they have to. Lee's fucking option year is for $27.5 mil. That's a fucking lot.

dude, I said the same thing. Makes the guy next to impossible to get rid of after his best years are behind him. I don't get it either

Looks like most contracts are set up this way. Only thing I can think of is inflation, and especially in baseball, it looks like numbers(payrolls) in general balloon at a crazy rate.
    The Fixer wrote:

I got stuck in the rooftop bleachers for the Damon/Arod WS game. Worst seats ever.

I'm a sports/concert ticket snob...I hate sitting up top

Ugh. Well, they're not even real seats in my book. That's another story.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Looks like most contracts are set up this way. Only thing I can think of is inflation, and especially in baseball, it looks like numbers(payrolls) in general balloon at a crazy rate.

good point. that's gotta be the reason. only rational explanation
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

good point. that's gotta be the reason. only rational explanation

Yeah, I'm not a fan of rationale either. Better to berate and yell. Much more fun.

1. Rollins-SS
    2. Polanco-3B
    3. Utley-2B
    4. Howard-1B
    6. Ibanez-LF
    8. Ruiz

Bench-
    C-Schneider
    1B/LF/RF-Gload
    IF-Valdez
    open spot?

Rotation
    1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

Pen
    LR-Kendrick
    LR-open spot?
    MR-Baez
    MR-Bastardo
    MR-Contreras
    SU-Reyes
    SU-Madson
    CP-Lidge

Potential roster fills -
    Fielders
    Rule 5 - Martinez
    Brown
    Mayberry(slim chance)

Pitchers
    Worley
    Zagurski
    Mathieson
    Herndon
    Escalona

good post. I was thinking about this during all the lee stuff, but I was too lazy to put this together.

I think worley makes the squad as the 5 or LR in the pen. If blanton gets shipped out you gotta figure that worley and herndon fill those 2 empty spots. I would love to see defratus make the team, but realistically he will be more of a mid-season call up or injury replacement.

As for the bench, I feel like someone is missing, but with francisco now a starter and sweeney gone I guess that's it. I would love to see the rule 5 guy martinez take valdez's spot. I know valdez was great off the bech last year defensively, but he is a complete waste at the plate. With Schneider and Gload locked in, looks like they will have 3 open bench spots in spring training. Hopefully they can bring in some veterans to compete for those jobs. I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys take less money to come to philly and try to win a spot on this roster, since it is LOADED.
    Yeah, I was reading on Martinez, and it looks like he's real versatile (plays short, second, and outfield - well, CF) and he's fast. Thing is I think they keep Valdez because he's cheap and solid defensively, and use Martinez as a late innning replacement sometimes along with being a pinch runner. This is why I think they keep 13 fielders instead of 12, along with the reasoning that you have 4, potentially 5, starters that can go on average 7 innings possibly 8, so keeping 13 pitchers may be a waste, plus wanting to keep an extra legit bat on the bench.

Yeah, I was going to include the DeFratus character, but I'm just throwing names out there that I think will be on the opening day roster.

And I love that the season is starting on a Friday. I think they're doing that because they want to start the season on April 1st no matter what day it falls on because of when the playoffs expand.
    Yeah, I was reading on Martinez, and it looks like he's real versatile (plays short, second, and outfield - well, CF) and he's fast. Thing is I think they keep Valdez because he's cheap and solid defensively, and use Martinez as a late innning replacement sometimes along with being a pinch runner. This is why I think they keep 13 fielders instead of 12, along with the reasoning that you have 4, potentially 5, starters that can go on average 7 innings possibly 8, so keeping 13 pitchers may be a waste, plus wanting to keep an extra legit bat on the bench.

Yeah, I was going to include the DeFratus character, but I'm just throwing names out there that I think will be on the opening day roster.

And I love that the season is starting on a Friday. I think they're doing that because they want to start the season on April 1st no matter what day it falls on because of when the playoffs expand.

ONly thing about keeping valdez and martinez is that if you keep both of them your really only have 2 pinch hitters. gload and someone not on the roster yet. schneider, valdez, martinez aren't scaring anyone if they have to pinch hit late in a game.

They really need a RH OFer. I'm sure they will sign one and that should be the final piece to this puzzle. Still 2 months to spring training, so there is plenty of time
    The Fixer wrote:

ONly thing about keeping valdez and martinez is that if you keep both of them your really only have 2 pinch hitters. gload and someone not on the roster yet. schneider, valdez, martinez aren't scaring anyone if they have to pinch hit late in a game.

They really need a RH OFer. I'm sure they will sign one and that should be the final piece to this puzzle. Still 2 months to spring training, so there is plenty of time

Yeah, but isn't that what they essentially did last year? Had Gload and Francisco off the bench? And then Sweeney came. I wonder if he would take a massive cut to be here, seems like the kind of guy to do that. Then again, they need an outfield bat.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, but isn't that what they essentially did last year? Had Gload and Francisco off the bench? And then Sweeney came. I wonder if he would take a massive cut to be here, seems like the kind of guy to do that. Then again, they need an outfield bat.

yeah, I guess so. I don't even remember what the bench was heading into the season. francisco, gload, castro, schneider, dobbs??? so I guess they had 3 pinch hitters if you include dobbs.

I'm sure the bench will work itself out. I'm not worried
    jp are you going to granite run mall on saturday to meet the dude? apparently he's signing autographs at boscovs there..
    www.myspace.com
    jp are you going to granite run mall on saturday to meet the dude? apparently he's signing autographs at boscovs there..

I'm sure that loser is charging for them. pete rose style.

the two of them should have to fight TO/chad johnson to the death. that would be a small step in solving the worlds douche problem.
    The Fixer wrote:

the two of them should have to fight TO/chad johnson to the death. that would be a small step in solving the worlds douche problem.

35 bucks a pop.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Is it snowing there? The airport schedule is fucked.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes...an inch or 2 expected
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What the fuck. Been stuck in Boston Logan since noon on standby and now it looks like my scheduled flight at 8:45 wont be leaving. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What the fuck. Been stuck in Boston Logan since noon on standby and now it looks like my scheduled flight at 8:45 wont be leaving. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Wow....it took me 45 minutes to get home for work normally takes me 15

I guess I cant complain much

8-)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The Fixer wrote:

35 bucks a pop.

HA. I had no idea. That's awesome. Unfortunately, I most likely will not be there. And ya think he could do a little better than Granite Run. That place is ghetto nowadays. I mean not as ghetto as Springfield Mall. But then again, I guess it's right on par for where he's at - I wonder if he'd take $50 for his '93 NLCS ring.
    And if you wanna read something that's ever been awesome for the sake of awesome, then read this... http://www.the700level.com/2010/12/buzz ... .html#more

I know, I don't like Buzz Bissinger either, but this is just awesome.
This discussion has been closed.