***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

When's the moving van coming ?

not sure what the hell is gonna happen yet. I think my wife might stay at her job up here for a few months. I'm supposed to get the formal offer letter tonight and start right after new years.

shit will work itself out...just gonna be a weird transition over the next few months.

my expected holiday alcohol consumption just tripled...which is scary

congrats dude!

i'm assuming you'll pass on my playoff tickets now though, right?

Thanks. and not necessarily. especially if it's a saturday game
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    Congrats, brotha. Do Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, what have you, proud with the booze. :thumbup:

And keep me abreast to ticket situations during the year!

Huh Huh Huh..he said breast

wasn't beavis and buthead supposed to start up again??
    www.myspace.com
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    The Fixer wrote:
    Just found out that I got that job. Looks like the Fixer will be taking his talents to DC

Congrats man. My dad's been out for almost 2 years now and the hiring climate is horrible.

And my girlfriend lived outside DC (Greenbelt) for a few years before moving up to Philly with me. I always liked going down and hanging out in DC or surrounding areas, always something to do and a great metro system.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    have they settled on a parade route and start time?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    The Fixer wrote:
    Just found out that I got that job. Looks like the Fixer will be taking his talents to DC

Hey man, missed this yesterday. Congrats and good luck.
    chromiam wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Congrats man. My dad's been out for almost 2 years now and the hiring climate is horrible.

And my girlfriend lived outside DC (Greenbelt) for a few years before moving up to Philly with me. I always liked going down and hanging out in DC or surrounding areas, always something to do and a great metro system.

Thanks everyone.

yeah, it took me a while to find something better than the half assed job I have been working. Not a ton of jobs + lots of competition for jobs = not good times.

I'm somewhat familiar with DC. I like the city a lot...the metro is great. I'm pretty excited. It's kinda weird, I think it will be good for my career being away from friends and family. A lot less distractions.
    this article makes some good points. I'd rather the phils do nothing than sign a scrub. All I keep thinking is jack taschner...that guy was horrendous.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... llpen.html
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    well looks like romero is coming back...
    www.myspace.com
    well looks like romero is coming back...

AIDS
    Anyone else hear these trade rumors regarding a hamels for justin upton deal? apparently teams have discussed a deal that would include those two players.

Upton is a monster, but I will not be happy if this happens.
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Anyone else hear these trade rumors regarding a hamels for justin upton deal? apparently teams have discussed a deal that would include those two players.

God i hope not,if i remember correctly Larry Bowa said he'd be a horrible fit in are lineup cause he also strikes out a ton.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I heard this as well. I'm torn on this because I really don't know how they'll be able to keep Cole once his contract's up, and Upton is pretty controllable from a cost standard. Then again, it'd be a shame to let go the youngest of all these arms when he's starting to actually come into his own.
    The Fixer wrote:

Oh boy, you got my head spinning on this one. Where did you see this?

First, let me start by saying, I do not see this happening at all but...

If the Phillies feel they are not going to keep Hamels after 2012, which there is a good chance they won't with the amount of money they have locked up in Howard and Lee and they think they need a right handed bat/outfielder, there is really no better player to go after than Upton. He is a stud and an outfield with Upton and Brown for years to come is pretty fucking solid. The rotation without Hamels is still great, but it is on the older side and has a bit of injury history. That said, the Phillies may feel like they are in the playoffs regardless, and Upton would be more of an asset in the playoffs than Hamels/Oswalt as one of them would only get a start or two. Also, remember pitching was not the Phillies problem in the playoffs.

In my view the Diamondbacks have absolutely no use for Hamels, there is no way they give up that many years of Upton for 2 years of Hamels, no fucking shot.

Soo....a third team is needed...

Yankees. They clearly have the need and the prospects. I love making fun of Hamels but he is a damn good pitcher and would love to see him in pinstripes. Since the Yanks were not willing to give up Montero for Greinke I don't see them giving him up for Hamels so it gets a bit tricky, but there is probably no one outside of the Yankees organization that knows the Yankees system as well as Towers. Does a package starting with Brackman and Romine + get it done? Probably not but who knows.

I think it would be really difficult for the Yankees to offer enough value for Upton without Montero but who knows. Overall, it would be really difficult for a deal of this size to go down but if 3 teams can do it, these teams match up well I think.

Get on it Cashman, Towers and Amaro.

Thoughts?
    That's funny because - and I forget where I saw this now - this is almost what I read when there was scenarios for this. Sucks I can't remember now. It also noted that they wouldn't be surprised to see Hamels go to the Yanks when his contract is up.

Again, I'm torn, but if the Phils can confidently say that in the next year or two when Cosart and Colvin are more developed and that they could slip them into the rotation at some point then I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. Brown and Upton in the same outfield? Scary good.
    That's funny because - and I forget where I saw this now - this is almost what I read when there was scenarios for this. Sucks I can't remember now. It also noted that they wouldn't be surprised to see Hamels go to the Yanks when his contract is up.

Again, I'm torn, but if the Phils can confidently say that in the next year or two when Cosart and Colvin are more developed and that they could slip them into the rotation at some point then I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. Brown and Upton in the same outfield? Scary good.

That's funny. Yeah, I can definitely see Hamels on the Yankees when his contract his up. They are going to need pitching and Hamels and Greinke are both FA's that year.

I hear you. It would be a tough trade but interesting to think about. The Phillies are going to need some young pitching at some point soon so it would be tough for them to trade their youngest pitcher but he is also about to get really expensive.
    And I remember where these rumors started now - Mitch Williams on MLBN started on this tomfoolery by mentioning it back when Lee signed. I don't think anything was even talked about in-house with the Phils. And then subsequently every link I googled mentioning the names Cole Hamels and Justin Upton I clicked on.
    And I remember where these rumors started now - Mitch Williams on MLBN started on this tomfoolery by mentioning it back when Lee signed. I don't think anything was even talked about in-house with the Phils. And then subsequently every link I googled mentioning the names Cole Hamels and Justin Upton I clicked on.

Yeah, that makes sense. I am sure most of this is fan driven and like I said, I don't see it happening but if I were Cashman, I would at least put a call into Towers and Amaro.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's funny. Yeah, I can definitely see Hamels on the Yankees when his contract his up. They are going to need pitching and Hamels and Greinke are both FA's that year.

I hear you. It would be a tough trade but interesting to think about. The Phillies are going to need some young pitching at some point soon so it would be tough for them to trade their youngest pitcher but he is also about to get really expensive.

Yeah, but at the same time I don't think they need to bite the nails over it though. They definitely need to groom homegrown talent for the rotation and 'pen(hopefully this year) at some point. But, who knows if Doc hits his vested option(probably will), but I'm sure they could probably make something work. They just better act sooner than later if it's their intention to extend Cole. Two "true" Phillies that should remain Phils for life are Chase and Cole, and I don't know if that's going to be possible.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that makes sense. I am sure most of this is fan driven and like I said, I don't see it happening but if I were Cashman, I would at least put a call into Towers and Amaro.

And I've read enough about Grienke and his apparent anxiety issues, and that dude sounds like a big wet....feline. To the fullest extent. Maybe the Yanks would be willing to give up Montero for Hamels since he's proven himself, and his bitching was more of the whining kind and not the "I'm scared of what people say about me" kind. I dunno, I like it though. All I know is people around here would freak out like a bunch of nuts because they have no idea who Justin Upton is. Guaranteed people would be calling the radio stations saying, "WHY THE HELL did we trade the chance of having the greatest rotation in the history of man for a guy we beat in the World Series??" Guaranteed. Kinda like how most people acted when we had Lee the first time. I love this town and all its psychotics.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, but at the same time I don't think they need to bite the nails over it though. They definitely need to groom homegrown talent for the rotation and 'pen(hopefully this year) at some point. But, who knows if Doc hits his vested option(probably will), but I'm sure they could probably make something work. They just better act sooner than later if it's their intention to extend Cole. Two "true" Phillies that should remain Phils for life are Chase and Cole, and I don't know if that's going to be possible.

Yeah, I think he will be a really tough extension though. He is going to hit the market at 29 with a lot of great years under his belt. Hamels gets overshadowed a bit, I think, because of Lee then Halladay but he is going to be looking for a big contract
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I think he will be a really tough extension though. He is going to hit the market at 29 with a lot of great years under his belt. Hamels gets overshadowed a bit, I think, because of Lee then Halladay but he is going to be looking for a big contract

Yeah, real tough. And I'm not saying this just because I'm a homer, and indeed I am, but it'll also be because Doc will have a fellow 20 game winner with him this year. And it ain't Lee. Because Halladay is Halladay and because Hamels will more often be going up against 3's and 4's.
    edited December 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And I've read enough about Grienke and his apparent anxiety issues, and that dude sounds like a big wet....feline. To the fullest extent. Maybe the Yanks would be willing to give up Montero for Hamels since he's proven himself, and his bitching was more of the whining kind and not the "I'm scared of what people say about me" kind. I dunno, I like it though. All I know is people around here would freak out like a bunch of nuts because they have no idea who Justin Upton is. Guaranteed people would be calling the radio stations saying, "WHY THE HELL did we trade the chance of having the greatest rotation in the history of man for a guy we beat in the World Series??" Guaranteed. Kinda like how most people acted when we had Lee the first time. I love this town and all its psychotics.

Haha, funny you say that. I was thinking along those lines as well. From what I read, the Yankees thing with Greinke was that they didn't think he was a fit for NYC. Hamels has clearly pitched in a big market, with tough fans and in big games. I would seriously consider moving Montero for him but Yankees fans would surely freak out. It's something to consider though. No questions about it, Hamels is an ace. Thinking out loud, you give me the option with where the Yankees are at right now and I do it. CC, Hamels, Hughes, AJ and hopefully Pettitte. Not too bad.

Yeah, Philly would definitely freak out but it might make sense for the Phillies. I don't know. Man, i would love for this to happen. One of those trades where 3 teams could come out very happy.

Edit: And the hardest part of this trade would be getting Arizona enough value for Upton.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Haha, funny you say that. I was thinking along those lines as well. From what I read, the Yankees thing with Greinke was that they didn't think he was a fit for NYC. Hamels has clearly pitched in a big market, with tough fans and in big games. I would seriously consider moving Montero for him but Yankees fans would surely freak out. It's something to consider though. No questions about it, Hamels is an ace. Thinking out loud, you give me the option with where the Yankees are at right now and I do it. CC, Hamels, Hughes, AJ and hopefully Pettitte. Not too bad.

Yeah, Philly would definitely freak out but it might make sense for the Phillies. I don't know. Man, i would love for this to happen. One of those trades where 3 teams could come out very happy.

Definitely. But since this is all hearsay, I really don't know why AZ would want to get rid of their #1 overall pick who's a beast and is locked up to a reasonable deal whether it's with a big or small-market team.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely. But since this is all hearsay, I really don't know why AZ would want to get rid of their #1 overall pick who's a beast and is locked up to a reasonable deal whether it's with a big or small-market team.

Yeah, I just edited my last post to say the toughest part would be getting Arizona enough value for Upton. Who knows though. Montero is one of the top prospects and they have 3-4 pitching prospects who could be solid starters including Brackman who could be a 1-2. Towers knows these guys well.
    Wait, I'm looking here at his contract, so Hamels is up after 2011 but is still arbitration eligible in 2012? Does that make sense? I thought the point of the contract was to buy up all of his arb years.
    Wait, I'm looking here at his contract, so Hamels is up after 2011 but is still arbitration eligible in 2012? Does that make sense? I thought the point of the contract was to buy up all of his arb years.

Yeah, I dont know. That is what I saw too. I cant remember the details around his contract but it does seem a little strange to have his last year be and arbitration year.
    On an unrelated note - I have three separate email trains going entailing New Year's Eve/Day. Cannot wait for the day part. Coffee with whiskey, mimosas, beer....mmmmmm...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Two "true" Phillies that should remain Phils for life are Chase and Cole, and I don't know if that's going to be possible.

Dude, I totally agree with that statement. As much as he annoys me offensively, I might even throw rollins in there too since he was around during the bowa years. I will always have a soft spot for hamels after he carried the phils to a title in '08 (which is why it pissed me off so much that philly fans dumped on him after one down season in '09).

Cliff, a buddy told me he saw the rumor on MLB network. So JP's right on the money.

Probably BS, but it is interesting. It really all goes back to the ridiculous contract that they gave the first baseman. Worst contract ever
    On an unrelated note - I have three separate email trains going entailing New Year's Eve/Day. Cannot wait for the day part. Coffee with whiskey, mimosas, beer....mmmmmm...

Yeah, man. I can't fucking wait. Going to be a blast. Weather is looking good too. 44 and partly cloudy. Going to be a great day.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. I can't fucking wait. Going to be a blast. Weather is looking good too. 44 and partly cloudy. Going to be a great day.

I don't know if you would know this, but isn't the parade at a decent hour now? Didn't they push it back till 11 or 12 or something? A back-pack full of beer cans I think will always keep me young at heart.
This discussion has been closed.