Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    the O/U on wins by the big 4 is 61. The over there almost looks too easy.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    The Fixer wrote:
    the O/U on wins by the big 4 is 61. The over there almost looks too easy.

Yeah, now that one I'd take.

I think this may be the year Cole wins 20.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good luck with the interview, dude. I did the sales thing for a minute. Not for me. Involved in new business pitches now for my company but it's much much different.

Thanks all. Love med sales. Lots of perks. Money is good and best of all you get to make your own schedule and be out and about. No two days are ever the same.

No job is for everyone, but I'm super competitive (some of my buddies would say to a fault) and money motivated. It's a good fit for me.

totally know what you mean.

been in mtg sales for so long now, i can't imagine a non sales job at this point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    yanks signed mark prior. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good luck with the interview, dude. I did the sales thing for a minute. Not for me. Involved in new business pitches now for my company but it's much much different.

Thanks all. Love med sales. Lots of perks. Money is good and best of all you get to make your own schedule and be out and about. No two days are ever the same.

No job is for everyone, but I'm super competitive (some of my buddies would say to a fault) and money motivated. It's a good fit for me.

totally know what you mean.

been in mtg sales for so long now, i can't imagine a non sales job at this point.

I would find it next to impossible to motivate myself in a non-sales job. I love being paid based on performance. Without that incentive I think of this scene from Office Space.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
    Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
    Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
    Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
    Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
    Bob Slydell: Eight?
    Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
  • Options
    funny you posted that.

remember how i said my manager is a total douche the other day? he just hung up an "is this good for the company?"/office space sign on his cubicle.... problem is the joke doesn't go over well when people actually refer to you as Lumbergh behind your back.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    funny you posted that.

remember how i said my manager is a total douche the other day? he just hung up an "is this good for the company?"/office space sign on his cubicle.... problem is the joke doesn't go over well when people actually refer to you as Lumbergh behind your back.

wait til he leaves and put a jump to conclusions map on the floor of his cube. that would be tremendous
  • Options
    It's a shame they couldn't get Clif and fam in a box tonight for the Flyers game like they did Doc for a Sixers game. Maybe they still will coming up. The roof would blow off the WFC.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    Over/under on wins is 96. Usually I'd take the under, but after winning 97 with a shambled team last season, I gotta like the over.

few pages back i asked this, but i think i put 120 :lol: I think they'll get somewhere around 105-110.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    You think the Phillies with take a player to be named later for Blanton if a team takes his salary?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You think the Phillies with take a player to be named later for Blanton if a team takes his salary?

I don't understand this nonsense about having to give blanton away. I think there's a lot of value in his contract. I still think he is a solid player. I wouldn't give him away, but I have no idea what their new payroll limitations are.

If I'm Amaro I tell people that blanton is available in the right deal, but they are content keeping him because his contract is reasonable. Just sit tight and try to gain some trade leverage...as of right now they have zero.

Hopefully he learned from the Lee trade
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Eh, I don't think they need to do that. They're really not in any hurry to move him. I'm sure they will, but I assume it will be later than sooner.
  • Options
    Thats what I'm saying, no leverage and close to a 1.4+ whip last year. Not a good combination.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Thats what I'm saying, no leverage and close to a 1.4+ whip last year. Not a good combination.

yeah, he was coming off of an injury and he didn't have the best year. he pitched pretty well in the last 2 months of the season though.

there are NO starting pitchers on the FA market so I figure it's a seller's market. amaro just has to play his hand right and he should get something in return (and by something I mean something better than mike cameron)
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, he was coming off of an injury and he didn't have the best year. he pitched pretty well in the last 2 months of the season though.

there are NO starting pitchers on the FA market so I figure it's a seller's market. amaro just has to play his hand right and he should get something in return (and by something I mean something better than mike cameron)

Carl fucking Pavano is being hailed as the best FA pitcher out there right now. I think they can get something minimally substantial for Fat Joe.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Carl fucking Pavano is being hailed as the best FA pitcher out there right now. I think they can get something minimally substantial for Fat Joe.

I agree. I read today that MLB players don't start getting paid until opening day. so it doesn't cost the phils a dime to keep blanton around until the night before the season starts. rube just needs to wait this market out and let the desperate teams come to him...ie do the complete opposite of what he did when he traded lee away
  • Options
    It's crazy. Amaro has literally outdid himself each year - offseason - that he's been on the job. I don't know if you can keep up at that rate. Either way, I have nothing to complain about with this guy. Nothing big enough to say he's a detriment at the helm.
  • Options
    It's crazy. Amaro has literally outdid himself each year - offseason - that he's been on the job. I don't know if you can keep up at that rate. Either way, I have nothing to complain about with this guy. Nothing big enough to say he's a detriment at the helm.

no complaints here either. well other than one specific contract, but today isn't the time to bitch about that
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

no complaints here either. well other than one specific contract, but today isn't the time to bitch about that

I hear ya, but ya know, if this spending keeps going towards the sky, then I think it doesn't feel as bad for me. My point being that if the sky is the limit, then that contract might not hurt them in molding the roster as much going forward........well....hopefully.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I hear ya, but ya know, if this spending keeps going towards the sky, then I think it doesn't feel as bad for me. My point being that if the sky is the limit, then that contract might not hurt them in molding the roster as much going forward........well....hopefully.

agreed.

part of people's problems with the howard signing was that they just assumed the phillies maxed themselves out with their spending. at the time i said perhaps this is an indication they were willing to open their wallets a a bit more...turns out they were.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

agreed.

part of people's problems with the howard signing was that they just assumed the phillies maxed themselves out with their spending. at the time i said perhaps this is an indication they were willing to open their wallets a a bit more...turns out they were.

well adrian gonzalez is a better player and he just signed for less money. My complaint throughout the entire time has been that they overpaid for diminishing returns on their investment, which is just bad business.

hopefully it doesn't end the way I think it will
  • Options
    I thought he didn't sign that extension yet, only was thought to be?
  • Options
    Anyway, does anyone (Cliffy if you see this) know when that Ommegang beer festival is in Cooperstown? Me and some buddies have been talking for like over a year now about putting together a large bus trip to Cooperstown to bring together that beer festival, going to the HOF, and playing a ball game at one of the HOF fields.
  • Options
    in high school, our team was supposed to play connestoga at double day field...i was looking forward to it all year....f@cking thing got cancelled at the last minute. so pissed. can't remember the exact reason....but....no i don't know when the beer festival is. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway, does anyone (Cliffy if you see this) know when that Ommegang beer festival is in Cooperstown? Me and some buddies have been talking for like over a year now about putting together a large bus trip to Cooperstown to bring together that beer festival, going to the HOF, and playing a ball game at one of the HOF fields.

Usually the last week in July. The date probably won't be set until early in the year. Tickets go immediately though, so you will have to be on top of it. When I hear, I will post it but you should go to the Ommegang website and sign up for their mailing list. You will get the info in your email when it's announced.

Ommegang is the fucking shit and the people that run it couldn't be cooler.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Usually the last week in July. The date probably won't be set until early in the year. Tickets go immediately though, so you will have to be on top of it. When I hear, I will post it but you should go to the Ommegang website and sign up for their mailing list. You will get the info in your email when it's announced.

So I've heard. Thanks, man. Looks like if that's the case, then this will be two separate trips.
  • Options
    in high school, our team was supposed to play connestoga at double day field...i was looking forward to it all year....f@cking thing got cancelled at the last minute. so pissed. can't remember the exact reason....but....no i don't know when the beer festival is. :x

One of my buddies in high school hit a bomb at Doubleday Field. Dude talks about it till this day.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So I've heard. Thanks, man. Looks like if that's the case, then this will be two separate trips.

No problem. I highly recommend hitting Ommegang up for any weekend they allow camping and have some type of festival, whether it be the big festival or whatever. Great time.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

One of my buddies in high school hit a bomb at Doubleday Field. Dude talks about it till this day.

Did he go to Polk High and is now a shoe salesman?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

so would i :mrgreen:

my coolest thing was probably going 2-2 at three rivers with a 2 rbi ground rule double to left center...woulda been much cooler if it traveled just 5 more feet. still pretty cool to just trot into 2nd though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.