***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

Manager's have the least influence on their team of the four sports. I have no problem with Manuel.

I completely disagree. Anyone that thinks NBA players listen to their coaches is kidding themselves. Those guys are glorified babysitters.

Check out the book 3 nights in august. it goes in depth about all of the managerial decisions that a manager has to make from pitch to pitch during a MLB series. Great read. I love baseball strategy.

The phils win in spite of their manager, not because of him

That's the thing overcoaching can be mostly used in baseball than any other sport. Of course they can involved in every aspect of the game. I love baseball more than the next man, but it is in no way more influential of the head coach in basketball, football, or hockey.

The beauty of baseball IS its simplicity.

I think there is more strategy in baseball than in any other sport. Every pitch presents an entirely different situation, and therefore, a different strategy. There is simplicity in pitching, catching, and hitting...but the strategic elements in baseball are unmatched

utley needs to get on base to lead off this inning.
    the odds on the dude in the grey sweater catching utley's pop fly were about 1 in 5 billion
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:

I think there is more strategy in baseball than in any other sport. Every pitch presents an entirely different situation, and therefore, a different strategy. There is simplicity in pitching, catching, and hitting...but the strategic elements in baseball are unmatched

utley needs to get on base to lead off this inning.

I'm not one to say baseball is as simple as catching, hitting and pitching. There's a lot that goes into it.

Tony LaRussa is the most overrated manager of all time. Dude overcoaches everything and has an inflated ego because of it.

Way to keep this guy's pitch count as low as possible, douchebags.
    I think that was 6, maybe 7, pitches in that inning?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    anyone else as sick of that stupid red bull commercial as i am? i don't even know what the hell it is but that stupid jingle will NOT get out of my head
    www.myspace.com
    mccarthy's such a tool. even if this were doc going for a no no, he'd be hyping it up just as much as he's hyping up kuroda's. SHUT UP!

really miss those 30 second stretches of silence you'd get from harry and whitey right now.....jesus h christ...
    www.myspace.com
    anyone else as sick of that stupid red bull commercial as i am? i don't even know what the hell it is but that stupid jingle will NOT get out of my head

I'm more sick of the WB Mason and Southwest commercials. I'm sure I could name a few more too. Those "THAT'S CARAZY!, Jim Zapala wants to see ya in a Kia" commercials too.

ha, YES!! even said something to my wife today. that song is annoyingly catchy

they better get a hit off. don't want long duck dong in the record books
    And should I be the first one to say no-hitting the Phillies isn't any incredible feat?
    mccarthy's such a tool. even if this were doc going for a no no, he'd be hyping it up just as much as he's hyping up kuroda's. SHUT UP!

really miss those 30 second stretches of silence you'd get from harry and whitey right now.....jesus h christ...

this broadcast is just straight brutal. a buddy of mine sent an email to someone in the phils front office complaining about mccarthy. he's on a mission to get this dude fired. we need to join the crusade

I'm more sick of the WB Mason and Southwest commercials. I'm sure I could name a few more too. Those "THAT'S CARAZY!, Jim Zapala wants to see ya in a Kia" commercials too.

anyone that sees that kia ad and goes to that place to buy a car needs their head examined.

I love the WB Mason commercials

I'm a habitual channel flipper. It's rare for me to ever be watching one thing at a time. I reach for the remote as soon as I see a commercial...it's reactionary
    The Fixer wrote:

anyone that sees that kia ad and goes to that place to buy a car needs their head examined.

I love the WB Mason commercials

I'm a habitual channel flipper. It's rare for me to ever be watching one thing at a time. I reach for the remote as soon as I see a commercial...it's reactionary

Can't stand the WB stuff. I can't even think of where there's a WB around here, nor who uses them.

Yeah, sending a sincere letter of concern to the Phils management might be a good idea regarding Tit McGhee. I'm being realistic here because there's no way Wheels is going anywhere, but McCarthy should be ousted.

Gotta turn Werth loose here at some point. Just to open a hole on the right side.
    werth just destroyed that little turd. LOVE IT
    Can't stand the WB stuff. I can't even think of where there's a WB around here, nor who uses them.

Yeah, sending a sincere letter of concern to the Phils management might be a good idea regarding Tit McGhee. I'm being realistic here because there's no way Wheels is going anywhere, but McCarthy should be ousted.

Gotta turn Werth loose here at some point. Just to open a hole on the right side.

I've never seen a WB in my life. here or in NY (they have the ad on the wall at yankee stadium too). I just like the jingles in the commercials
    "This has been a long inning for him. 13 pitches." He says. As opposed to??????? Say it, douchebag! As opposed to the shitty approach by the team in the beginning.

McCarthy needs to go.
    come on chooch

dom brown better be on deck
    Keep that swing from getting long, Chooch. Find a hole.
    wow, pulling long duck is a mistake
    What...the fuck....just happened.
    What...the fuck....just happened.

nothing. which is a problem
    nice scoop by seal hands
    I'm gonna chalk tonight up to jet lag. Two of the games this weekend were during the day so it didn't have a chance to rear its ugly head. Yeah, that's what I'm going with....
    I'm gonna chalk tonight up to jet lag. Two of the games this weekend were during the day so it didn't have a chance to rear its ugly head. Yeah, that's what I'm going with....

I never understood how you can be jet lagged when flying west (therefore picking up time). this team does look tired and flat tonight though. even halladay looked somewhat human

just one game, but every loss from here on out is frustrating
    at least we have kendrick going tomorrow
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

I never understood how you can be jet lagged when flying west (therefore picking up time). this team does look tired and flat tonight though. even halladay looked somewhat human

just one game, but every loss from here on out is frustrating

Well, usually these guys are far gone from the ballpark by east coast times.

And usually my night out when out west get a little challenging on the second and third night. I'm out at the bar till 3 am when in actuality it's 6 am where I'm from. Then there's my trysts in Vegas that go till the sun comes up. God only knows what time it is east coast style for those nights/mornings....
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,312
    That game put me to sleep by boredom. How can that lineup be so terrible? Nobody was even hitting the ball hard.

What's the panic over Halladay? He gave up 2 fluky runs, and one homer - BFD.

It's been since 1978 that Phils haven't been no hit for 9 innings, but they've sure been flirting with it a lot this year, especially with Japanese pitchers.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    The Fixer wrote:
    Love the approach right now. Swing early and often. Keep the opposing pitcher's pitch count as low as possible. Perfect. :roll:

I was thinking same thing. pjhawks would be proud

EDIT: at this rate this game will be over by midnight

Fixer you mis-represent and misquote more comments on a message board than any person i've ever seen. Just because i said Utley doesn't EVER swing at the 1st pitch doesn't mean I think they all should be swinging 1st pitch all the time. There are times to do it though.

When this team gets into a funk they tend to try and swing their way out of it, when in reality taking more pitches should be the way to go. No one on this team, and i mean ever, lets a 3-1 pitch go by without swinging.

the only guy as screwed up as Howard right now is Utley. He looks awful. Howard has gone through stretches like this before, Utley never has.

Phils have never hit Kuroda well - no biggie, win the next one.

talking about commercials on here - only amateurs watch commercials. come on guys, over 200 channels i can always find something to switch to.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    That game put me to sleep by boredom. How can that lineup be so terrible? Nobody was even hitting the ball hard.

What's the panic over Halladay? He gave up 2 fluky runs, and one homer - BFD.

It's been since 1978 that Phils haven't been no hit for 9 innings, but they've sure been flirting with it a lot this year, especially with Japanese pitchers.

Japanese pitchers against the Phils this year have 1.54 ERA

If you take away the start by the Atlanta starter Kawakami whom the Phils shelled very early in the season, Japanese pitchers have an era of 0.54 against the Phillies this year.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Love the approach right now. Swing early and often. Keep the opposing pitcher's pitch count as low as possible. Perfect. :roll:

I was thinking same thing. pjhawks would be proud

EDIT: at this rate this game will be over by midnight

Fixer you mis-represent and misquote more comments on a message board than any person i've ever seen. Just because i said Utley doesn't EVER swing at the 1st pitch doesn't mean I think they all should be swinging 1st pitch all the time. There are times to do it though.

When this team gets into a funk they tend to try and swing their way out of it, when in reality taking more pitches should be the way to go. No one on this team, and i mean ever, lets a 3-1 pitch go by without swinging.

the only guy as screwed up as Howard right now is Utley. He looks awful. Howard has gone through stretches like this before, Utley never has.

Phils have never hit Kuroda well - no biggie, win the next one.

talking about commercials on here - only amateurs watch commercials. come on guys, over 200 channels i can always find something to switch to.

dude, you're all over the place as usual. you make ridiculous statements then twist them around after the fact (utley should swing at the first pitch, lidge throws a sinker, the devils played a LW lock, etc)

funny that you always find something to watch but you just started watching always sunny.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    The Fixer wrote:

dude, you're all over the place as usual. you make ridiculous statements then twist them around after the fact (utley should swing at the first pitch, lidge throws a sinker, the devils played a LW lock, etc)

funny that you always find something to watch but you just started watching always sunny.

dude give it a rest. i mis-typed one time about Lidge (and changed within 5 minutes) and you bring it out like every 3rd page. and please tell me what ridiculous statements i've made. this coming from a guy who is so retarted to say and actually believe that he'd rather have Ross fn Gload or Travis (one of the 5 worst players for the Phillies in my lifetime) Lee over Ryan Howard. How can anyone take anything you say seriously about baseball when you honestly believe that type of bs? yet i am the one who makes ridiculous statements - jeez just moronic Fixer. there is a difference between making errors (me) vs. flat out making ridiculous moronic statements that no sane person can ever take seriously (you, i.e. travis lee over ryan howard)
This discussion has been closed.