***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

"werth is a very good baserunner, well we have seen him be a very good baserunner, but these last few weeks he has made a few mistakes"

Said it again about the collision at the end of the inning.

he just looks disinterested. like he's counting down the days until he gets paid. no way he's risking a potential injury going into his FA year.

roger dorn-esque
    FYI...just because it comes up so often here

Chris (Falmouth)Can you explain why RBI is considered an archaic stat and what are the stats that should be paid more attention too?

Klaw - Your RBI total is a function of who hits in front of you - if you have more guys on base when you bat, you get more RBI opportunities. If you want to get a picture of an individual player's actual contribution to his team, you need to use stats that are just a function of his performance, not his teammates'. Among basic stats OBP and SLG are more useful than AVG or raw RBI totals, and there are advanced stats like wOBA and WAR (which includes fielding, but not always the same metrics) that give a more complete picture.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

"werth is a very good baserunner, well we have seen him be a very good baserunner, but these last few weeks he has made a few mistakes"

he just looks disinterested. like he's counting down the days until he gets paid. no way he's risking a potential injury going into his FA year.

roger dorn-esque

He didn't look like he cared when he got thrown out.

Major League was on Vs. the other day. Great stuff.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

roger dorn-esque

that is why Brown needs to play at least twice a week against righties. Werth and Victorino are playing like shit.
    That was as weak of a swing as you will ever see. 1st time watching the phillies in a while.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

roger dorn-esque

that is why Brown needs to play at least twice a week against righties. Werth and Victorino are playing like shit.

they should put brown at first until gload comes off the DL
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That was as weak of a swing as you will ever see. 1st time watching the phillies in a while.

dude, I see that swing at least once every game. somehow it's worth $125 million
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

dude, I see that swing at least once every game. somehow it's worth $125 million

Just brutal
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it's not the swing and misses that are worth $125 million... Still have faith he will be there in a big way in the big games in september like the always is.

and watching him swing and miss is as much fun as watching your boy Chase watch EVERY fn 1st pitch fastball go right down the middle of the plate for a strike.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Dude good call on the dorn comparison. That is FB worthy.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it's not the swing and misses that are worth $125 million... Still have faith he will be there in a big way in the big games in september like the always is.

and watching him swing and miss is as much fun as watching your boy Chase watch EVERY fn 1st pitch fastball go right down the middle of the plate for a strike.

wow. just wow. you really are clueless
    The Fixer wrote:

how so? doesn't Chase let every 1st pitch strike go by? Ryan will produce as always. relax he goes through these stretches. he will break out at the right moment - but i'm sure when he does you'll have some other explanation.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

how so? doesn't Chase let every 1st pitch strike go by? Ryan will produce as always. relax he goes through these stretches. he will break out at the right moment - but i'm sure when he does you'll have some other explanation.

do you know what working a count means? your boy howard obviously doesn't.

michael bourn is fucking rickey henderson all of a sudden
    That is incredible.
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yes but Chase does it on at least 95% of his at-bats. check it out sometime instead of trying to calculate his war.

you are literally the only person in baseball who'd rather see Ross Gload at 1st than Ryan Howard. Even Ross Gload's mother doesn't believe you could possible mean that.

michael bourn - how is this guy only hitting .250? he hits like .500 against the Phils.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Unless a batter is guessing 1st pitch, most good hitters take the 1st pitch for the most part.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

yes but Chase does it on at least 95% of his at-bats. check it out sometime instead of trying to calculate his war.

michael bourn - how is this guy only hitting .250? he hits like .500 against the Phils.

just look at utley's OBP. even during a 'down' year, he's still getting on base. howard wouldn't have so many neat, shiny RBI without a guy like utley hitting in front of him.

to complain about utley not swinging at the first pitch is 610 material. come on dude. you made some decent points earlier today. You're letting your frustration with the phils play go to your head (I'm guilty of this too at times).
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Unless a batter is guessing 1st pitch, most good hitters take the 1st pitch for the most part.

most good hitters aren't hitting .260
    Chase utley can take strike one because he'll make contact. The dude has a career OBP of 380 something. Fucking ridiculous to even come close to comparing how utley and Howard approach the plate. Howard guesses. Not get off his dick. That's 12 Ks over this series.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

most good hitters aren't hitting .260

True.

On the other side though, I have been complaining all year about Jeter swinging at the 1st pitch too much and grounding out(as much as I will ever complain about Jeter)
    The Fixer wrote:
    just look at utley's OBP. even during a 'down' year, he's still getting on base. howard wouldn't have so many neat, shiny RBI without a guy like utley hitting in front of him.

to complain about utley not swinging at the first pitch is 610 material. come on dude. you made some decent points earlier today. You're letting your frustration with the phils play go to your head (I'm guilty of this too at times).

of course i am. when some moron comes on here and honestly says he'd rather have Ross Gload at 1st base than Ryan Howard then of course I need to come on here and be a wiseass and needle him by needling his favorite player
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Of the 24 1B in the majors who have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title, Howard has more walks than only one of them Jorge Cantu of Florida and now Texas. He also has the worst walk to strike out ratio of any 1B.

Like I said much, much earlier this season his lack of walks is frightening this year. Either he's not being patient at the plate or pitchers aren't pitching around him anymore because they've figured out something.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    My honeymoon with Shane is ling over. Fuck this guy alway swingig for the fence. Can't just go the other way with the ball can you fuckhead?????

ha--i remember having words with you on the other forum a while back about him. he is having a terrible year...
    www.myspace.com
    Chase utley can take strike one because he'll make contact. The dude has a career OBP of 380 something. Fucking ridiculous to even come close to comparing how utley and Howard approach the plate. Howard guesses. Not get off his dick. That's 12 Ks over this series.

see post above - just needling the Fixer a bit. I know it pisses him off when i make comments about Utley and since he loves to make outrageous comments about Howard (like he'd rather have ross gload) I tend to respond by needling him back. i can be a d--- like that.
    Solat13 wrote:
    Of the 24 1B in the majors who have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title, Howard has more walks than only one of them Jorge Cantu of Florida and now Texas. He also has the worst walk to strike out ratio of any 1B.

Like I said much, much earlier this season his lack of walks is frightening this year. Either he's not being patient at the plate or pitchers aren't pitching around him anymore because they've figured out something.

yeah, his K' rate is down, but so are his OBP and SLG%. like I've been saying for 2 years here, he peaked as a player during his MVP year. which is the primary reason that his contract is ridiculous (there are many other reasons).

howard's 2010 WAR is now under 2.0. 2.0 is the equivalent of an average MLB player.
    pjhawks wrote:

see post above - just needling the Fixer a bit. I know it pisses him off when i make comments about Utley and since he loves to make outrageous comments about Howard (like he'd rather have ross gload) I tend to respond by needling him back. i can be a d--- like that.

would you still take howard over joey votto?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    saying you want gload over howard is the definition of a WIP caller.

that said, he is awful right now.

glad i am not watching this on tv.
    www.myspace.com
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

would you still take howard over joey votto?

yes, let's see how Joey Votto does in September in big games. Maybe I'll change then but until I see Mr. Votto get big hits in big spots when his team depends on him I'll still take Howard. I still have faith Ryan will hit some long balls in september, especially against the Braves.

you will find other than being a wiseass my next best feature is being a stubborn sob
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    saying you want gload over howard is the definition of a WIP caller.

that said, he is awful right now.

glad i am not watching this on tv.

What about 97.5 callers ? Are they still respected ?

You would have turned it off like I did and started watching re-runs of Who's the Boss
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    3 gb with a west coast swing that includes the best team in the NL. Awesome.
This discussion has been closed.