***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:

lot of peeps from Strong Island. good people. idiots, but great dudes.

Ha, head up to SUNY Albany or Binghamton. It's all Long Island fuckers. I highly dislike the majority of people from Long Island.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

lot of peeps from Strong Island. good people. idiots, but great dudes.

Ha, head up to SUNY Albany or Binghamton. It's all Long Island fuckers. I highly dislike the majority of people from Long Island.
    me too

Hahaha

I've never been to a bar on strong island and nor will I ever step into one. To many douchebags in their tapout tshirts and the girls are even worse.

Fixer you picked the wrong time to go to a tri state area college lol. Wish I woulda known bout towson bout 5 years earlier.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Step right up and beat the mets.......could be tied for first by the end of the night gentlemen.

Also--gotta agree with jearlpam. I'm not the biggest amaro fan but the sweeney move was most certainly a gillick type move. If we make it that far again we're in much better shape playing in an al team's park with the stupid dh rule.

GO PHILS
    GO
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    Well, 12 outs to go 'til the Mets first no hitter (though I guess they have to score a run too).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Well, 12 outs to go 'til the Mets first no hitter (though I guess they have to score a run too).

this phils just don't hit when hamels pitches
    The Fixer wrote:

this phils just don't hit when hamels pitches

At least my jinx worked. Santana tends to outduel Hamels, historically.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    werth has to be the dumbest player in MLB. he continually makes mental mistakes
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,771
    The Fixer wrote:

in the past few weeks yeah.

Come on offense! Don't let Cole's good game go to waste.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    krod is so horrible
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    The Fixer wrote:

I honestly can't remember any other player who ever got picked off more or made more baserunning blunders than Werth. It totally negates his speed out there.

Seriously, you're on 2nd. The ball is hit to your right. STAY THERE! Any beer league softball player could figure that out.

Ok, Doc on the hill tomorrow, let's get 2 out of 3.

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

I honestly can't remember any other player who ever got picked off more or made more baserunning blunders than Werth. It totally negates his speed out there.

Seriously, you're on 2nd. The ball is hit to your right. STAY THERE! Any beer league softball player could figure that out.

Ok, Doc on the hill tomorrow, let's get 2 out of 3.
    Victorino
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I was out at the bar but I believe I saw Charlie Manuel have the phillies most consistent hitter bunt. That is idiotic my friends. There is absolutely no excuse for polonco bunting, that's like cano bunting, come the fuck on.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    There's no problem with Polanco bunting there. The problem is Jimmy should let it be known he's not 100 percent. ALSO, this fuckin Pit app fucking sucks. If you have Netflix and haven't watched Blow, put it on. Seen it a thousand times and it gets better every time.
    Also, not even Shane does the things Werth has done over the past few weeks. All that's goin through his head is "contract, contract, contract contract."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    i'm down the shore right now. we were in ocean city last night on the boardwalk and i stopped into this shirt store. they had tons of cool phils stuff.....plus they had a big tv in the front showing the phils game. walked in there right when the bottom of the 8th started and started watching. next thing i know, i turn around and there are 40 some people standing behind me glued to the tv. even though we lost and nothing materialized with the bases loaded there, it was still pretty damn cool to see a shitload of people crammed into a t shirt store rooting on the fightn's.

incidentally i don't think anyone made a purchase. the owner had to be pretty pissed :mrgreen:

can't win 'em all boys. gotta take today though.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    it's so nice to have a first baseman that can play defense and make contact
    The Fixer wrote:
    Your nuts i swear,lol
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    Your nuts i swear,lol

he's been great. always on base and playing tremendous defense
    interesting. not sure if this is the answer, but they need bullpen help desperately. if he would be willing to sign a minor league deal they should give it a shot

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/07/10/Phill ... feedID=704
    SO

FUCKING

DRUNK

:thumbup:
    Mayberry sent down (thank god...he's not an MLB player). Looks like the bastard will be up by tomorrow.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Mayberry sent down (thank god...he's not an MLB player). Looks like the bastard will be up by tomorrow.

I think they want Bastardo for all the Dodgers lefties, especially since GNC Man can't get anyone out.

Talk about a strange season so far. I think the heart and character this team has is like no other. With all the injuries bad gm and managing decesions this year. Then to be doing all this with your best 2 hitters out is just nuts. Not to mention fat joe and kk are picking up there games. Who would have figuired in there last 5 games doc would have gotten hit the hardiest. Keep the roll up boys cause we got some serious help coming real soon.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Talk about a strange season so far. I think the heart and character this team has is like no other. With all the injuries bad gm and managing decesions this year. Then to be doing all this with your best 2 hitters out is just nuts. Not to mention fat joe and kk are picking up there games. Who would have figuired in there last 5 games doc would have gotten hit the hardiest. Keep the roll up boys cause we got some serious help coming real soon.

definitely a weird season.

STL plays Cincy for 3 games starting tonight. Because that division is so shitty, I still think one of those teams is gonna win the wild card. We gotta hope for a sweep in that series...doesn't matter which team sweeps.

would be nice if some of the fossils on the braves started to go down with injuries (glaus, chipper, wagner, etc)
    The Fixer wrote:

He's Pedro Cerrano. Can hit the fastball, but not the curve.
    The Fixer wrote:

He's Pedro Cerrano. Can hit the fastball, but not the curve.

Obligatory...
    Fuck you Jobu, I do it myself.

When I saw the Phils play the Indians this year, I saw two guys with Taylor & Dorn jerseys in the stands at Citizens Park.

Doc has a new change up this year - actually a good article in the Daily News:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100810_Phillies_ace_Halladay_has_another_weapon_this_season.html

And a bus crashed into Monk's! :o I hope the LaChouffe is safe!
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100810_SEPTA_bus_crashes_into_Center_City_pub.html

Even with 2008 NLCS MVP chad billingsley pitching tomorrow, the phils pitching matchups in the LA series are unfavorable. Need to keep things rolling and take 2 of 3. I think it's gonna be tough, even though the dodgers aren't playing well right now.
    good stuff from Baseball America

Yankees, Phillies Are Built To Last

By John Manuel
    August 6, 2010

E-mail Print

The Yankees and Phillies faced each other in the 2009 World Series. The two could meet up again in 2010 after making strong trades in July.

The Phillies' two victories against the Yankees in '09 came in games started by Cliff Lee, but they dealt Lee in the offseason when they got their hands on Roy Halladay. They weren't able to replace Lee internally and wound up trading for Roy Oswalt in July, parting with outfielder Anthony Gose, shortstop Jonathan Villar and lefthander J.A. Happ.

The Yankees had baseball's best record as the July deadline approached but remained active. They picked up switch-hitting veteran Lance Berkman from Houston for righthanded reliever Mark Melancon and infielder Jimmy Paredes, as well as Austin Kearns and Kerry Wood for next to nothing.

None of those moves guarantees those clubs will make the postseason, but both improved their big league rosters without mortgaging their farm systems. In fact, both teams have had bounceback years in the minors, particularly at the Class A levels. Even after those trades, both farm systems look to move up in our rankings this offseason.

The Yankees dropped to 22nd in our talent rankings last offseason after poor years from top pitching prospects such as Andrew Brackman, Dellin Betances and Jeremy Bleich; trades that cost outfielder Austin Jackson and hard-throwing righthander Arodys Vizcaino; and a concentration of talent in the lower levels. At the top, New York still has top prospect Jesus Montero and Futures Game catcher Austin Romine, whom scouts and managers respect for his solid all-around game. The Yankees also have several upper-level players who project as solid big leaguers, such as righthanders Zach McAllister and Ivan Nova, and third baseman Brandon Laird, who in the words of one pro scout has gone from "a 4-A guy to a second-division regular this year. He doesn't do it easy, but he does it."

The Yankees have also developed depth at the higher levels. Righty Hector Noesi has impressed at Trenton with his hard fastball, and recent college draftees David Phelps and Adam Warren have risen quickly through the ranks. While Phelps throws a tad harder, touching 95 mph, Warren has better secondary stuff and fastball command and the better chance to start in New York, as he pounds the zone (25 walks in 102 innings) and keeps the ball in the ballpark (two home runs allowed).

New York's lower-level talent, for the most part, has also stepped forward. Gary Sanchez, a catcher who signed for $3 million last summer, was hitting .378/.461/.622 through 74 at-bats with four home runs in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

And scouts who have seen low Class A Charleston say the Yankees have impressive pieces there, starting with 2009 first-round pick Slade Heathcott, a toolsy, hard-playing outfielder with some swing issues. His athleticism, defense and speed help him stand out in the South Atlantic League crowd. Defense also is the top tool for shortstop Kelvin Castro and catcher Kyle Higashioka, while the bat helps 2009 supplemental first-rounder J.R. Murphy. Righthander Jose Ramirez, 20, stands out on the pitching staff thanks to good control of his fastball and changeup.

Meanwhile, Betances and Brackman have had their best years as pros. Betances, having recovered from elbow surgery, has shown his old mid-90s velocity while throwing more strikes and dominating the high Class A Florida State League. Brackman overcame a disastrous start to reach Double-A and has increased his strikeout and groundball rates. He's not dominating (7-10, 4.81), but the 24-year-old is having his first success as a pro.

Philly Fever

The Phillies have traded more prospects than any organization the last two years to get Lee, Halladay and now Oswalt. They gave up real talent in all three deals, helping drop them to No. 18 in our rankings entering the season, and both Gose and Villar were headed for Philly's Top 10 Prospects before being shipped out.

But the Phillies did hold on to low Class A Lakewood's Jonathan Singleton, whom many scouts place on the short list for the minors' best hitter. And Gose was redundant in a system bursting with raw but athletic outfielders such as Jiwan James, Domingo Santana, Aaron Altherr and Leandro Castro.

On the mound, the Phillies have found power arms to replace trade losses Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco and Kyle Drabek. Jarred Cosart, Trevor May and Jon Pettibone, all from the Phillies' productive 2008 draft class, have shown dominant flashes, while fellow Lakewood righty Brody Colvin—who got the largest bonus of the Phils' 2009 draft class—has shown two plus pitches.

The Phillies are thinner at the upper levels than the Yankees but have more upside, especially on the mound. Both organizations are more focused on the major league pennant races than the minors, but both also have done an admirable job of using their financial heft to compete and maintain a farm system talent pipeline simultaneously. That takes money but also good scouting and player development, and the Yankees and Phillies are doing all that in 2010.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Even with 2008 NLCS MVP chad billingsley pitching tomorrow, the phils pitching matchups in the LA series are unfavorable. Need to keep things rolling and take 2 of 3. I think it's gonna be tough, even though the dodgers aren't playing well right now.

hopefully the boys can make up some ground tonight.

go astros
    go cubs
    go pirates
    go rocks (just because I hate the stinkin mets)

I also think it would be cool to see cincy get swept...hopefully sending them into a prolonged slump.

and of course GO PHILS
This discussion has been closed.