***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I like Olney. His book "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" is one of the best Yankees books I have read, in my opinion. That list is not that spot on though. I mean, Josh Hamilton at 13, really? He is only the 13th most valuable player to his team. I would put him as number 1, 2 or 3.

the list is debatable....as is who is more valuable to the phils---howard or utley. that's my point. you and some others were making it seem like its not even up for debate. it, obviously, is.

you are crazy.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    The Fixer wrote:
    RBI are meaningless

Are runs meaningless too? I missed the announcement that the winner of a baseball game will be the team with the best OPS at the end of the game - when did that happen? I guess nobody will bother to hit sac flies anymore.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    The Fixer wrote:

howard leads the league in rbi's this year despite EVERYONE in front of him being on the dl and having down years.

funny how i knew you'd go after olney's credibility too. you're too predictable dude! :lol:

huge difference between an analyst and a reporter. just read paul hagen or jayson stark. awful

RBI are meaningless
    :lol: if olney had an article supporting your point, everyone knows you'd reference it.

and you like to make the point that if howard was on some other team his rbi totals would be a lot lower. his totals with the phils are only so high because of how great our lineup is. so i just felt like pointing out that despite our lineup being on the dl for most the year, and poop the time that its not, he's still leading the league.

hopefully he's not out too long.

alright then. carry on.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    RBI are meaningless

Are runs meaningless too? I missed the announcement that the winner of a baseball game will be the team with the best OPS at the end of the game - when did that happen? I guess nobody will bother to hit sac flies anymore.

runs scored? as an individual stat, yes. a player's main goal during an AB is to not make an out. A teams' OBP directly correlates to runs scored
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

That is a good article. This is what I said all along about the Oswalt trade

"It puts us in a position to not be real flexible," Amaro said of adding Oswalt's contract

Matt Gelb is a solid writer, was on the Yankees beat last year.

did he switch places with andy martino? I saw martino is writing for the Times (I believe)

I am pretty sure Gelb was with the Bergan Country Record. I think Martino is with the Mets now. Ben Shpigel is now on the Yanks beat for the Times after Tyler Kepner tooks Jack Curry's (now with YES) spot as the national guy for the Times. This stuff changes every year.
    The Fixer wrote:

howard leads the league in rbi's this year despite EVERYONE in front of him being on the dl and having down years.

funny how i knew you'd go after olney's credibility too. you're too predictable dude! :lol:

huge difference between an analyst and a reporter. just read paul hagen or jayson stark. awful

RBI are meaningless
    :lol: if olney had an article supporting your point, everyone knows you'd reference it.

and you like to make the point that if howard was on some other team his rbi totals would be a lot lower. his totals with the phils are only so high because of how great our lineup is. so i just felt like pointing out that despite our lineup being on the dl for most the year, and poop the time that its not, he's still leading the league.

alright then. carry on.

I like olney a lot...his blog is the first thing I read every morning. He's not an analyst though. great reporter

the phils are still 4th in the NL in runs scored. werth and utley are always on base
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    According to my buddy in Howards 1st 4 seasons he has hit hit the most hrs in baseball history. How is the not a great player??
    Go Birds!!!!
    According to my buddy in Howards 1st 4 seasons he has hit hit the most hrs in baseball history. How is the not a great player??

I would also venture to guess that he has the most strikeouts or very close to it in his first 4 seasons.

last time I checked there is more to baseball than just hitting home runs.

do you think adam dunn is a great player?
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    RBI are meaningless

runs scored? as an individual stat, yes. a player's main goal during an AB is to not make an out. A teams' OBP directly correlates to runs scored

That should make me feel better the next time we leave 12 on base and lose 4-2. (like Game 2 of the '08 Series)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Not including the 2006 season cause the fixer says he peaked. Howard avgs 46hrs and 141rbis. If u include the 2006 season he avgs 49hrs and 143rbis. That not a big difference. There's no way with a straight face u can say that's not historical,fuck great that's mind blowing. Especially considering he was doing this when pitchers and othere were juicing and he wasn't.
    Go Birds!!!!

That should make me feel better the next time we leave 12 on base and lose 4-2. (like Game 2 of the '08 Series)

just saying that the more guys a team gets on base, the more likely they are to score runs. it's not rocket science
    The Fixer wrote:

last time I checked there is more to baseball than just hitting home runs.

do you think adam dunn is a great player?
    That's a joke that's his career avg. I'd bet dunns career avg dosent sniff that. Your insane to not relieve his production as great. And who cares about strikeouts,he still produces. Sometimes its like talking to a wall I swear. Howards numbers are the best" but dunn puts up stats"that's a fucking joke.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

RBI are meaningless

alright then. carry on.

I like olney a lot...his blog is the first thing I read every morning. He's not an analyst though. great reporter

the phils are still 4th in the NL in runs scored. werth and utley are always on base

weth hits behind howard and utley's missed over 40 games.

just saying...
    www.myspace.com
    He's put up the greatest power numbers in the history of the game. For a player in there 1st 4 seasons and u give me adam dunn. NOBODY has started there career with the power numbers he's put up and u give me adam dunn. What would make u repect him? I think you'd rather him be a great fielding,throwing 1st baseman and bat 250 with 10hrs and 55rbis sometimes. I'd rather him bat 280 throw the ball away in lf and hit 49hrs and 143rbis,call me crazy.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

just saying that the more guys a team gets on base, the more likely they are to score runs. it's not rocket science

How'd I getted roped into this? Like I said, I agree with you that Utley's a better player, although I still think Howard is a great player as well.

It's just ridiculous for you to say that RBI's "don't mean anything." The point of the game isn't to "not make outs." It's to SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE OTHER TEAM. You can't score runs, usually, without RBI's. Especially as pitching becomes more prominent in baseball, those sac flies, ground balls, and other mundane RBI's that don't count anywhere in OPS become even more important.

The Fixer wrote:

How'd I getted roped into this? Like I said, I agree with you that Utley's a better player, although I still think Howard is a great player as well.

It's just ridiculous for you to say that RBI's "don't mean anything." The point of the game isn't to "not make outs." It's to SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE OTHER TEAM. You can't score runs, usually, without RBI's. Especially as pitching becomes more prominent in baseball, those sac flies, ground balls, and other mundane RBI's that don't count anywhere in OPS become even more important.

welcome to the thread john.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

Lol numerous people have been dealing with this nonsense for months. Good luck sometimes I swear the 3 of them are the same person with different names.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:

Lol numerous people have been dealing with this nonsense for months. Good luck sometimes I swear the 3 of them are the same person with different names.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, momo.

Hey, did I ever tell you guys how Ryan Howard sucks and that I can't stand the guy?
    Momo or jomo funny that's my nick names good call. Don't really mean u as much more the fixer. Never said u hated howard just don't get how the 3 of u say that the greatest power hitter in the 1st 4yrs of a career isn't great. I don't get how the best at something in mlb history is overrated? Cliffy says he does one thing great, he does 2 things the best ever.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    It's time for it..

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy says he does one thing great, he does 2 things the best ever.

You can't be serious? The best ever?
    It's time for it..

lois is hot.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    It's time for it..

lois is hot.

Nice ass doesn't she ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy says he does one thing great, he does 2 things the best ever.

You can't be serious? The best ever?

Avg out his 1st 4 seasons 198hrs and 572rbis. Not counting his 2005 half season in that. From what my buddy told me there both the best from a players 1st 4 seasons.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Momo or jomo funny that's my nick names good call. Don't really mean u as much more the fixer. Never said u hated howard just don't get how the 3 of u say that the greatest power hitter in the 1st 4yrs of a career isn't great. I don't get how the best at something in mlb history is overrated? Cliffy says he does one thing great, he does 2 things the best ever.

Take Ryan Howard out of the picture. By your logic, Hank Aaron is hands down, by far the best baseball player to ever live. Don't get me wrong, this is no slight on Aaron, but I think that is far from the truth. Just because he has huge HR and RBI numbers does not make him better than Babe Ruth, Ted Williams or a bunch of others.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Take Ryan Howard out of the picture. By your logic, Hank Aaron is hands down, by far the best baseball player to ever live. Don't get me wrong, this is no slight on Aaron, but I think that is far from the truth. Just because he has huge HR and RBI numbers does not make him better than Babe Ruth, Ted Williams or a bunch of others.

I never said he is the best ever ever,I saying he's the best to start a career. If he played 10-15 more years and came close to his avgs then by stats he might be. I don't except him to, Avg 49hrs in a 10-15 year stretch but 40s not to shabby. I don't think u relieve how impressive his power numbers are.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    edited August 2010
    Avg out his 1st 4 seasons 198hrs and 572rbis. Not counting his 2005 half season in that. From what my buddy told me there both the best from a players 1st 4 seasons.

Jamminpearls - love your passion but like me maybe it's time to give up the fight. i mean when one guy gives you Adam Dunn, another says they are no worse off with Ross Gload at 1st base and they refuse to acknowlege his historical 1st four years of his career clearly there is nothing any of us can say to change their minds regarding Ryan. it's taken me months to give this fight up but it's time - i can't deal with the craziness of it anymore.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I never said he is the best ever ever,I saying he's the best to start a career. If he played 10-15 more years and came close to his avgs then by stats he might be. I don't except him to, Avg 49hrs in a 10-15 year stretch but 40s not to shabby. I don't think u relieve how impressive his power numbers are.

I understand how impressive his power numbers are. I also understand he has a lot of holes in his game. Like I said, Aaron has the most home runs (not named Bonds) and the most RBI's in the history of the game and there are a more than a dozen players in the history of the game that I would take over him in a second.
This discussion has been closed.