***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I remember Wade telling the story of how he got fired with some reporter. He was changing light bulbs in his living room when the phone rang. To say he was bitter is an understatement. To think he thought he had a cush position here? Where did he get the balls to think so? I guess the way the team was being run up until then he could afford to think that way.

His daughter was just as bitter, we all went to a lot of Phillies games the year I moved down here and she would not step foot in the stadium with us.

Ha. I guess she doesn't understand her dad isn't good at what he does.

Yeah, definitely not but it's family and I am sure it could have been handled better on both sides.
    Sounds like Tejada has been traded. Starting to heat up.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

if i am not mistaken i think wade is a villanova alum too........also--that was a nova/syracuse game by the way. mcnamara's last game here so he bussed the entire city of scranton to town. :roll: it was pretty annoying.

Not sure, she went to Villanova, I know that for sure. Barely knew who Ed Wade was before I moved here to be honest.

They ran busses to every game in Syracuse as well for 4 years.

she was manager for the Nova hoops team at least one year - after daddy got fired she got abused at a St. Joe's game at the Palestra so I can understand her bitterness.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Where to?

Nevermind. I see it now.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cantu as well.

cliff, didn't see that sherman report about berkman before my other post
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    the sabermetrics geeks at crashburn alley voice their approval too. WORLDS ARE COLLIDING!!
    http://crashburnalley.com/
    Phillies Acquire Roy Oswalt
    by Bill Baer on July 29th, 2010
    Posted in MLB, Philadelphia Phillies, Sabermetrics | Print | 13 Comments »
    The Phillies finally have acquired Roy Oswalt from the Houston Astros, a much-ballyhooed rumor now blossomed into a reality. Let’s start with analysis of the tenured right-hander himself.

Oswalt, generously listed at 6’0″ on his Baseball Reference page, has finished in the top-five in National League Cy Young award voting five times in ten seasons. He finished second in Rookie of the Year voting in 2001 and is a three-time All-Star. He is definitely well-respected in mainstream circles. How does he rate with the Sabermetrics?

Over his career, he has an above average strikeout rate at 7.4 per nine and a below average walk rate at 2.1 per nine. His career 3.57 xFIP is a bit higher than his 3.24 ERA; both are extremely good numbers. His 3.34 SIERA this year is ninth-best in baseball and fourth-best in the National League (fifth-best if you include Dan Haren).

According to the pitch type linear weights found on FanGraphs, Oswalt’s curve ball ranks eighth-best in the Majors this year, slightly ahead of those thrown by Roy Halladay and Brett Myers. His fastball averages 93 MPH, a full MPH higher than the average Cole Hamels fastball.

There were concerns that Oswalt was hitting the skids after a disappointing 2009 in which he posted a 4.12 ERA, the fourth straight year his ERA had increased. Additionally, he induced fewer ground balls — his GB% was at its lowest since 2004. And while he was not a frequent addition to the disabled list, he always seemed to have some kind of ailment nagging him. Last year, he dealt with lower back and pitching hand issues. The back issues have persisted, but thanks to cortisone shots Oswalt has not missed a start this season.

In acquiring Oswalt from the Astros, the Phillies will give up J.A. Happ, Anthony Gose, and Jonathan Villar.

Happ is not exactly a favorite around these parts:

He will never be the same pitcher he was last year. He is not a maven of control, he is not able to miss bats on a frequent basis, and he has no special batted ball abilities. He is simply mundane. Happ pitches like a 4.50 ERA pitcher and that is what should be expected. His 2009 was a complete and utter fluke.

Gose is a 19-year-old center fielder that spent the entirety of this season in Clearwater where he hit .263 with a combined 28 doubles and triples in 418 at-bats. For someone of his age at his level, his 7% walk rate is fine but his 25% strikeout rate will need to come down for his bat and speed to be of any significant value. Jim Callis of Baseball America described him as a “raw tools guy” in a recent tweet.

Villar is also a 19-year-old, a shortstop who could be found in Lakewood. He has good speed and a plus-glove by all accounts, but has not yet developed the requisite bat. He is on a slightly faster track than Freddy Galvis, another light-hitting, slick-fielding shortstop currently with Reading. Given that the Phillies picked up Jimmy Rollins‘ option for next year and are likely to sign him to an extension beyond that, losing Villar is not a big deal especially with an insurance policy in Galvis.

The Phillies absolutely 100% swindled Astros GM Ed Wade. Not only did the Phillies give up no one of any real significance, but they also received $11 million along with their new #1-b pitcher. This trade will set the Astros back and will set the Phillies up for another run at the post-season in which they hope to become the first National League team since the 1942-44 St. Louis Cardinals to appear in three consecutive World Series. As much as GM Ruben Amaro has been criticized, he deserves some praise for this highway robbery.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cantu as well.

cliff, didn't see that sherman report about berkman before my other post

Yeah, he is playing right now too, right? That is strange.

I know, it just came up. Search for Berkmans name, I mentioned it back on May 7th. We tend to think alike on these things.
    I hate when people use career averages to analyze a player. THat just doesn't make sense. Trend lines are much more telling
    Keith Law analysis...

Phils win Oswalt deal but Astros get value
    July, 29, 2010Jul 295:45PM ETEmail Print Comments1 Roy Oswalt makes the Phillies two or three wins better for the rest of the season, given what they've been running out there and the injury to Jamie Moyer, and sets them up much better for a playoff series by eliminating the possibility of an October start by a J.A. Happ or a Kyle Kendrick.

While Oswalt isn't the 220-240 inning workhorse he was earlier in the decade, on a per-batter basis he is pretty close to his peak self. Since his stuff has only slipped slightly since then, he is a reasonable bet for the next 15 months. Given the low cost in prospects, it's a no-brainer for the Phillies and should make Atlanta look over its shoulder a little more.

Happ is a fifth-starter type with good command and deception but fringy stuff without a real knockout pitch. He's a particularly bad fit for Houston's ballpark as a left-handed flyball pitcher who has had some trouble with right-handed hitters. He's also coming off a forearm strain that has ruined his 2010 season. Other than that, he's everything you could ask for in a pitcher.

Jonathan Villar is a long-term project, a plus runner with a chance to be a plus defender all around at shortstop, but who's extremely raw at the plate and projects to have fringe-average power at best. He's a good guy to have in the system because of the defensive ability and the hope he can get on base enough to be more than Adam Everett.

Anthony Gose had attracted first-round attention out of high school as a left-handed pitcher who would pitch at 92-96 with a potentially plus curveball, but he insisted he wanted to go out as a position player and remains more tools than performance at this point. He struggles to recognize offspeed stuff and doesn't walk and, despite good leverage in his swing, has hit for almost no power in over 1000 pro plate appearances. He wraps his bat but does have good hand speed and seems to recover well once he gets his bat started. He's a plus runner, but his 57 percent stolen base success rate this year is comically bad, and while he can run enough for center, his feel for the position isn't great. He's headed to Toronto in a side deal that could not possibly make less sense to me.

Brett Wallace goes to Houston in exchange for Gose in what has to be the easiest "yes" of Ed Wade's life as a GM. He's an advanced hitter who has been adequate in AAA this year but hasn't raked as I would have expected, given what a good hitter's park that is. However, he has an outstanding swing and controls the strike zone well, doesn't show the platoon split so common in left-handed hitting prospects and was just 23 in AAA. He's twice as valuable a prospect as Gose. Despite concerns over his lateral mobility, he's a capable first baseman who will hit for average, get on base and have enough power to be an above-average or better player there.

Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos keeps emphasizing how he wants to get more athletic ... I'm just not sure how converting Michael Taylor into Anthony Gose makes them more athletic -- it just makes them worse off. And while Wallace plus Villar isn't a great return for Houston, their hands were somewhat tied by the contract and Oswalt's no-trade clause.

I do wonder if Wallace's arrival means Lance Berkman is next out the door, which would give Houston another chance to add an impact prospect and allow them to slide Wallace right in at first base.
    THOSE CRAZY BASTARDS IN HOUSTON.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    half the people in this thread had given up a week ago

FRAUDS
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772

FRAUDS

Not me!

Heard Oswalt is gonna make his Phillie debut tomorrow night? :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    THOSE CRAZY BASTARDS IN HOUSTON.

my heart hurts from this trade.....we'll miss Roy. ugh....makes me sick.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

FRAUDS

1. Bitter because he didn't get Lee.

2. He roots for a team that has 20 some championships and is located 3,000 miles from where he grew up.

3. He's irrelevant.

He should watch how he uses that word.
    fucking howard and his seal hands. I swear he's right handed in the field
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

FRAUDS

2. He roots for a team that has 20 some championships and is located 3,000 miles from where he grew up.

3. He's irrelevant.

lee next year

yea i love the lakers big deal bitter sixers fan

iam irrelevant in this thread
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    How come the Phillies aren't wearing their 80's uniforms since it's 80's night at the ballpark? :?

RAUUUUUUUUUL!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    and the braves ass holes are tightening up

nice win tonight...T minus 2.5 and counting. a week ago it was 7

baseball is awesome

FRAUDS

3. He's irrelevant.

lee next year

1. What makes it easy to hate Yankees fans.

2. It's called loyalty - look it up. Wins are that much more sweet when you have it.

3. And, yes, you are. :thumbup:
    The Fixer wrote:
    and the braves ass holes are tightening up

nice win tonight...T minus 2.5 and counting. a week ago it was 7

baseball is awesome

And the Nats put Strasburg on the DL, and trade their closer with 27 saves. Chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga....

Might not be a bad idea to head down to DC tomorrow...

lee next year

1. What makes it easy to hate Yankees fans.

2. It's called loyalty - look it up. Wins are that much more sweet when you have it.

3. And, yes, you are. :thumbup:

over 3,000 posts in 7 months. all utter garbage. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    i now "like" ed wade on facebook.

i suggest you follow suit. he needs some friends. :lol::lol:

GO PHILS!
    www.myspace.com

GO PHILS!

amazing, the dude went from one of the most hated dudes in philly to one of the most liked. all he had to do was leave!! haha, awesome
    The Fixer wrote:

GO PHILS!

amazing, the dude went from one of the most hated dudes in philly to one of the most liked. all he had to do was leave!! haha, awesome

He didn't leave, he's just running the Phillies' AAAA farm team. 8-)
    edited July 2010
    please don't talk about Ed Wade for at least 5 minutes....thanks.
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    please don't take about Ed Wade for at least 5 minutes....thanks.

Welcome to Philly circa 2001.
    mfc2006 wrote:

yeah, i know....i just never thought i'd see the day when Oswalt didn't pitch for Houston. i'm at a loss for words...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    The Fixer wrote:

GO PHILS!

He didn't leave, he's just running the Phillies' AAAA farm team. 8-)

his facebook page is filled with phillies fans thanking him. its pretty funny.

ed wade....hahahaha. you just have to laugh when you say his name out loud :lol: ed wade! :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

yeah, i know....i just never thought i'd see the day when Oswalt didn't pitch for Houston. i'm at a loss for words...

Yeah, I think Toronto fans felt the same way about Halladay.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

it's always tough seeing a guy that's been around for a long time end up leaving. here in philly it sucked seeing dawkins leave. that being said, oswalt did say he wanted out. the astros weren't winning anything this year, so it makes sense to get something for their established guys while they can.

as a fan, rebuilding always sucks...but every team goes through it at some point
This discussion has been closed.