***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    Maybe you should have read the article before u chimed in then. So quick to look for trouble,don't understand why? Me and your boy cliffy were actually havn a non name calling conversation. Funny names started when you the guy who didn't read the article came aboard but were the asses.
    Cliffy the name of the game is to win bad contracts are on every roster my friend. Besides Raul and fat joe I'd say we've done a pretty good job. We can argue the Howard contract everyday until he goes into the hall if you'd like. Point is the phillies are winners and they don't use it,that's the point. At least you stand by your beliefs and aren't ignortant about it,for that I respect you. I thought we were havn a good convo,but oh well.

dude, you should start using sabermetrics...then maybe you'll have a clue.

just in the last couple weeks you have said the following

you'd take livan hernandez over ted lilly
    you want the phils to trade for papelbon

and the best of all...

the phils should trade for zack duke

the turd in the punchbowl thing was a joke. jesus christ

Herandez has been a horse this year,papelbons a fireball closer with a hell of a track record and zach duke is a young talented lefty on a god awful team. Talk about statements your the biggiest hater in this thread. And the names didn't bother me until you admit your ignortant by not havn a clue of why we were talkn about it again. You'd rather take jabs and think your funny instead of doing the resarch you aparently like to do. Kinda the pot calling the kettle black I'd say.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    I think we should get you guys seats together in section 428 and you can have a big brawl. Then when CSN finds out it was over statistical measures everyone will get a good laugh about it.

"VORP sucks"
    "YOU suck!!!"
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    you two are like turds in the punchbowl

don't know why you have to start shit for no reason. the phils are winning...not the time for arguing

so instead of trying to dispute what the story says, you know since it kind of flies in the face of your beliefs, just resort to name calling - very nice.

What flies in the face of anyone? The Phillies do not use advanced stats, yet they have multiple awful contracts. I think that supports our argument. And the winning thing is a moot point. No one was using these stats when this teams was assembled, and Amaro surely did not put this team together.

go cheer for the fn marlins then - they don't have any bad contracts - jeezus h christ isn't WINNING more FN important to FANS that freaking contracts? CONTRACTS CONTRACTS CONTRACTS - fuck are your and the Fixer's Trust Funds tied up in the Phils payroll or something? enough about the damn contracts - greatest era in Philly sports history and you guys are totally fixated on freakin contracts.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Maybe you should have read the article before u chimed in then. So quick to look for trouble,don't understand why? Me and your boy cliffy were actually havn a non name calling conversation. Funny names started when you the guy who didn't read the article came aboard but were the asses.
    Cliffy the name of the game is to win bad contracts are on every roster my friend. Besides Raul and fat joe I'd say we've done a pretty good job. We can argue the Howard contract everyday until he goes into the hall if you'd like. Point is the phillies are winners and they don't use it,that's the point. At least you stand by your beliefs and aren't ignortant about it,for that I respect you. I thought we were havn a good convo,but oh well.

dude, you should start using sabermetrics...then maybe you'll have a clue.

just in the last couple weeks you have said the following

you'd take livan hernandez over ted lilly
    you want the phils to trade for papelbon

and the best of all...

the phils should trade for zack duke

the turd in the punchbowl thing was a joke. jesus christ

Herandez has been a horse this year,papelbons a fireball closer with a hell of a track record and zach duke is a young talented lefty on a god awful team. Talk about statements your the biggiest hater in this thread. And the names didn't bother me until you admit your ignortant by not havn a clue of why we were talkn about it again. You'd rather take jabs and think your funny instead of doing the resarch you aparently like to do. Kinda the pot calling the kettle black I'd say.

I can't argue with you. I feel like I'm listening to 610
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

so instead of trying to dispute what the story says, you know since it kind of flies in the face of your beliefs, just resort to name calling - very nice.

What flies in the face of anyone? The Phillies do not use advanced stats, yet they have multiple awful contracts. I think that supports our argument. And the winning thing is a moot point. No one was using these stats when this teams was assembled, and Amaro surely did not put this team together.

go cheer for the fn marlins then - they don't have any bad contracts - jeezus h christ isn't WINNING more FN important to FANS that freaking contracts? CONTRACTS CONTRACTS CONTRACTS - fuck are your and the Fixer's Trust Funds tied up in the Phils payroll or something? enough about the damn contracts - greatest era in Philly sports history and you guys are totally fixated on freakin contracts.

bad contracts prevent you from sustaining success. I don't know why you can't understand that
    1. Has Livan been a horse this year?

2. Has Papelbon shown thru out his career that he's a legit closer?

3. I said that zach duke would be a solid #3. Is he a young pitcher with a lot of upside?

4. Ryan Howards a beast.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Papelbon has shown one thing throughout his career, that he is the biggest douchebag in baseball.
    1. Has Livan been a horse this year?

3. I said that zach duke would be a solid #3. Is he a young pitcher with a lot of upside?

4. Ryan Howards a beast.

1 - is he better than any of the phils current starters? I say no

2 - who cares about throughout his career? if the phils are trading for him all I care about is how he's pitching NOW (which isn't well)...and how long they have him under team control (2 months). No thanks, especially since he makes 10 million and isn't affordable anyway, but that's an entirely separate issue in and of itself

3 - No, absolutely not. He sucks

4 - Good player, horrendous contract, complete butcher in the field (I still can't believe he dropped that DP throw from valdez last night. how the fuck does that happen in the majors?). His AB with the bases loaded and 2 outs was tremendous last night too...3 pitches, K
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Papelbon has shown one thing throughout his career, that he is the biggest douchebag in baseball.

I agree he's a tool but he's a clutch closer. His personalty isn't being discussed your buddys tryn to say I make dumb comments. Yet he hates on howard and happ. Happ got us oswalt I'd say the fixer was wrong when he said happ won't help the phillies this year.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    The Fixer wrote:
    bad contracts prevent you from sustaining success. I don't know why you can't understand that

has it hurt them yet? Live for Today brother and stop worrying about 5 years from now. jeezus - this franchise has the opportunity to do something no other national league team has done in like 70 years enjoy it. regardless of what the contracts are no way they can possibly sustain the success they've had over the past 4 years and counting - history says it ain't happenening so you darn well better enjoy today.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree he's a tool but he's a clutch closer. His personalty isn't being discussed your buddys tryn to say I make dumb comments. Yet he hates on howard and happ. Happ got us oswalt I'd say the fixer was wrong when he said happ won't help the phillies this year.

the only way he was helping them this year was by getting traded. so if you want to say I was wrong, that's fine, I'll admit I was wrong (even though he doesn't control whether or not he's traded). good riddens happ
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    you guys are draining the fun out of this run.
    www.myspace.com

You seem to be enjoying yourself quite nicely. My only question for you is whether the rest of the season should even be played?

How does a couple of people disagreeing about something on a PJ message board effect you enjoying this run?
    Go Birds!!!!
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You seem to be enjoying yourself quite nicely. My only question for you is whether the rest of the season should even be played?

EXCELLENT question. thank you for bringing it up.

to save everyone the trouble we probably should just proceed directly to the world series.

phils vs rangers. :lol:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com

How does a couple of people disagreeing about something on a PJ message board effect you enjoying this run?

its the same argument dating back to march or even earlier. 'tis played out my friend...
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

has it hurt them yet? Live for Today brother and stop worrying about 5 years from now. jeezus - this franchise has the opportunity to do something no other national league team has done in like 70 years enjoy it. regardless of what the contracts are no way they can possibly sustain the success they've had over the past 4 years and counting - history says it ain't happenening so you darn well better enjoy today.

I am enjoying it. I want it to last as long as possible. Bad contracts are the main cause of teams falling out of contention (see cubs, chicago).

Obviously the current team on the field is the most important thing. But the contracts that the team doles out are almost as important, since they determine what ability the team will have to make future upgrades (for the current year and in the forseeable future)

I have shredded amaro on this board for a lot of the moves he's made over the past year. I have to give him credit with the oswalt move. He got a front line starter, which they desperately needed...didn't give away any of the top organizational prospects, didn't guarantee a risky and expensive option for 2012, and got the team he was trading with to kick in 40% of the money owed to oswalt over the next year and a half. he couldn't have done a better job.

that being said, he has overpaid for guys like howard, ibanez, moyer, baez...and the lidge deal was probably a year too long (they signed him a year before he hit the market too). the moyer contract probably cost them Lee this year. So you have to take these contracts into account...unless you only care about the present, which doesn't make much sense to me. I want the phils to win in 2010 and every year after that
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I am enjoying it. I want it to last as long as possible. Bad contracts are the main cause of teams falling out of contention (see cubs, chicago).

Obviously the current team on the field is the most important thing. But the contracts that the team doles out are almost as important, since they determine what ability the team will have to make future upgrades (for the current year and in the forseeable future)

I have shredded amaro on this board for a lot of the moves he's made over the past year. I have to give him credit with the oswalt move. He got a front line starter, which they desperately needed...didn't give away any of the top organizational prospects, didn't guarantee a risky and expensive option for 2012, and got the team he was trading with to kick in 40% of the money owed to oswalt over the next year and a half. he couldn't have done a better job.

that being said, he has overpaid for guys like howard, ibanez, moyer, baez...and the lidge deal was probably a year too long (they signed him a year before he hit the market too). the moyer contract probably cost them Lee this year. So you have to take these contracts into account...unless you only care about the present, which doesn't make much sense to me. I want the phils to win in 2010 and every year after that

lidge was gillick.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    I leave you Nancy's alone for three seconds, and it turns into Vagina Fest in here. Sheeeeesh.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

to save everyone the trouble we probably should just proceed directly to the world series.

You're nuts. The Yankees will tear them apart. Cliff Lee does not get you through the AL like it does the NL.

Josh Hamilton is the best player in baseball right now though.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Let's just fast forward to Game 7 of the ALCS: Rays at Yankees, winner goes to Citizens Park for Game 1 of the Series. We'll just take it from there.

My God, Howard struck out in the 10th - he's horrible! Come on, he's been carrying this team. One time Babe Ruth got caught stealing to end the World Series; he still made the Hall of Fame.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

lidge was gillick.

nope...lidge was re-upped the year after the WS. gillick retired after the WS. that was one of amaro's first moves
    Let's just fast forward to Game 7 of the ALCS: Rays at Yankees, winner goes to Citizens Park for Game 1 of the Series. We'll just take it from there.

The great thing about that is that I most likely won't even have to head back to NY this year to celebrate with the Yanks. And by most likely I mean it will take more than 5 games, not that the Phillies have a chance. haha.

In all seriousness, the NL east is going to be closer than you think this year. If the braves can pull off a willingham trade, all bets are off. He is not all that great but much much better than basically me playing out there.
    The Fixer wrote:

lidge was gillick.

nope...lidge was re-upped the year after the WS. gillick retired after the WS. that was one of amaro's first moves

nope
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... 9393_x.htm
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

lidge was gillick.

nope

touche. I thought he was extended after the WS. still amaro's fault
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You're nuts. The Yankees will tear them apart. Cliff Lee does not get you through the AL like it does the NL.

Josh Hamilton is the best player in baseball right now though.

got through yanks pretty well last october ;)
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

nope

touche. I thought he was extended after the WS. still amaro's fault

i remember feeling as if we were jinxing him at the time...
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The great thing about that is that I most likely won't even have to head back to NY this year to celebrate with the Yanks. And by most likely I mean it will take more than 5 games, not that the Phillies have a chance. haha.

In all seriousness, the NL east is going to be closer than you think this year. If the braves can pull off a willingham trade, all bets are off. He is not all that great but much much better than basically me playing out there.

Are you saying you play left field for the Braves, Cliff?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah, the phils have to get to the playoffs before I start thinking about the WS. Still a LOT of work to do. With their bullpen they aren't guaranteed to make the playoffs. How quick utley comes back will have a lot to do with where they finish too.

I've always liked willingham too. apparently the Nats owner loves him though, so I don't think he gets moved unless the braves trade one of their beast pitching prospects (they have 4 or 5 that are highly rated)

The AL playoffs should be interesting. Rays, Yanks, Rangers should all have a shot. Whoever draws the Central winner basically gets a bye in round 1...winning the AL east is gonna be huge.
    got through yanks pretty well last october ;)

Did he? I seem to have a different recollection. I mean, I know he personally beat the Yankees but I don't think his team won the series. I could be mistaken. No wait, I'm not....

sn_ts_110509_hdr.jpg
This discussion has been closed.