***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    got through yanks pretty well last october ;)

Did he? I seem to have a different recollection. I mean, I know he personally beat the Yankees but I don't think his team won the series. I could be mistaken. No wait, I'm not....

sn_ts_110509_hdr.jpg

still can't believe fucking pedro martinez started 2 games in that series. man, the phils are so much more equipped for the playoffs this year (except for the pen).

just catch the braves fellas
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Let's just fast forward to Game 7 of the ALCS: Rays at Yankees, winner goes to Citizens Park for Game 1 of the Series. We'll just take it from there.

The great thing about that is that I most likely won't even have to head back to NY this year to celebrate with the Yanks. And by most likely I mean it will take more than 5 games, not that the Phillies have a chance. haha.

In all seriousness, the NL east is going to be closer than you think this year. If the braves can pull off a willingham trade, all bets are off. He is not all that great but much much better than basically me playing out there.

yeah, the phils have to get to the playoffs before I start thinking about the WS. Still a LOT of work to do. With their bullpen they aren't guaranteed to make the playoffs. How quick utley comes back will have a lot to do with where they finish too.

I've always liked willingham too. apparently the Nats owner loves him though, so I don't think he gets moved unless the braves trade one of their beast pitching prospects (they have 4 or 5 that are highly rated)

The AL playoffs should be interesting. Rays, Yanks, Rangers should all have a shot. Whoever draws the Central winner basically gets a bye in round 1...winning the AL east is gonna be huge.

I said this exact same thing the other day at work. It would be huge for the Yanks to win the East and not get the Rangers in the 1st round. It's a tough road this year. I think more difficult than last.

Braves pitching is better this year too. It is going to come down to the wire I think. I can see the Braves making a move for Willingham with it being Bobby's last year.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Ya know, this picture doesn't even bother me. I've really found that Yankees fans are the ones being the antagonists like I thought Philly fans would be. Funny.

I can't stand Bill Simmons' articles anymore because all he writes about is basketball or the Red Sox, but his last article is an interesting read about how ball games are getting too long, bandwagon fans, and how no championship will be like that first one. Only problem I have with this douche is he's admitting he doesn't care about his team as much, I think, because they're in third place. And the fact that he saw the Celtics and Pats win a ton of championships before the Red Sox won so he shouldn't even be allowed in the club for tortured fans.
    Ya know, this picture doesn't even bother me. I've really found that Yankees fans are the ones being the antagonists like I thought Philly fans would be. Funny.

Hey man, I was just reacting to a comment that Cliff Lee got his team through the Yankees. All in good fun.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Did he? I seem to have a different recollection. I mean, I know he personally beat the Yankees but I don't think his team won the series. I could be mistaken. No wait, I'm not....

indeed he did. too bad he couldn't start every game ;)

SEASON TEAM W L ERA G GS
    2009 Philadelphia Phillies 2 0 2.81 2 2
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

SEASON TEAM W L ERA G GS

Wait, who are we talking about?

And if it's Cliff Lee, I'm fuckin' out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

SEASON TEAM W L ERA G GS

Point was, it takes more than Cliff Lee to get through them. CJ Wilson is having an incredible year but I will take the Yanks chances in a series with the Rangers.
    Yeah, I think I want this shirt, though I still want the "I'm with Dubee" one...

300.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Let's just fast forward to Game 7 of the ALCS: Rays at Yankees, winner goes to Citizens Park for Game 1 of the Series. We'll just take it from there.

The great thing about that is that I most likely won't even have to head back to NY this year to celebrate with the Yanks. And by most likely I mean it will take more than 5 games, not that the Phillies have a chance. haha.

In all seriousness, the NL east is going to be closer than you think this year. If the braves can pull off a willingham trade, all bets are off. He is not all that great but much much better than basically me playing out there.

Are you saying you play left field for the Braves, Cliff?

hahah. More or less, no? They could really use an decent outfielder.

I can't stand Bill Simmons' articles anymore because all he writes about is basketball or the Red Sox, but his last article is an interesting read about how ball games are getting too long, bandwagon fans, and how no championship will be like that first one. Only problem I have with this douche is he's admitting he doesn't care about his team as much, I think, because they're in third place. And the fact that he saw the Celtics and Pats win a ton of championships before the Red Sox won so he shouldn't even be allowed in the club for tortured fans.

dude, I read that article today too. a few points

1 - simmons does suck anymore
    2 - he does sound like a whiny bitch in the article
    3 - all sports are now longer (especially the NFL with all their damned commercials)
    4 - when he was describing the bandwagon, passive crowds I thought he was talking about CBP. Then he mentioned Sweet Caroline and I realized there are worse crowds than the current ones in philly.
    5 - I've always preferred NL baseball to the AL. Much more strategy and every player on the roster has a role in the NL. The AL teams don't even need managers
    6 - there is nothing that I can experience as a sports fan that will top the 3 WS games I attended in 2008
    Cristian Guzman to the Rangers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

just in time for the phils series down in DC. I think delino deshields is playing 2b for the Nats/expos tonight
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

SEASON TEAM W L ERA G GS

Wait, who are we talking about?

And if it's Cliff Lee, I'm fuckin' out.

then you're out!
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    The Fixer wrote:

3 - all sports are now longer (especially the NFL with all their damned commercials)
    4 - when he was describing the bandwagon, passive crowds I thought he was talking about CBP. Then he mentioned Sweet Caroline and I realized there are worse crowds than the current ones in philly.
    5 - I've always preferred NL baseball to the AL. Much more strategy and every player on the roster has a role in the NL. The AL teams don't even need managers
    6 - there is nothing that I can experience as a sports fan that will top the 3 WS games I attended in 2008

I think that article was a summary of all his lame excuses for not writing about baseball anymore. He's jaded by living in LA, where people care about the NBA. Rest of the country, not so much. Oh, by the way, does anything take longer than the last 2 minutes of a kinda close NBA game? Each team gets, what, 8 timeouts per quarter?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

I thought he was talking about The Bank until the 'Sweet Caroline' reference. I would agree some things have gotten longer, but I think baseball out of them all will be hurt in the long run due to it. Other sports can get away with it, and I think he has a point that Selig doesn't make issue with enough of the hurdles Simmons is talking about. Though the whole argument Simmons has about how the players in MLB aren't "Me" enough is just preposterous. Baseball doesn't market their players well enough is a different topic altogether, and I do agree on that. But to promote selfish douchebags is ridiculous. The fact is his team is in 3rd place and not going to make the playoffs and he comes off as a crying bitch. But I do think something needs to be changed. Not a whole lot, just some. Perfect example is Posada visiting the mound a billion times in the WS. That can't be allowed, the ump needs to step in, because when "visiting the mound" is part of your strategy then that's pathetic.

I would LOVE to see the DH eliminated though, that'd be sweet.

And, yes, absolutely nothing will top being at game 5 and the subsequent parade.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

just in time for the phils series down in DC. I think delino deshields is playing 2b for the Nats/expos tonight

Watch it. That man is in the Delaware Baseball Hall of Fame. Huge honor.
    Dude that threw up on the girl got 30-90 days in jail, holy fuck.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

they should have given that fat fuck 2 weeks on a treadmill. fucking disgrace to humanity
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sweet, sweet, justice.
    I am just suprised he got that much though. Good for them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Probably cause the little girl's dad is a cop, and maybe he violated some kind of probation or something. The first time I saw his face, my natural reaction was to find him and dig my thumbs into his eyes.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Probably cause the little girl's dad is a cop, and maybe he violated some kind of probation or something. The first time I saw his face, my natural reaction was to find him and dig my thumbs into his eyes.

I am sure it has something to do with that. Good point. haha, that is a hell of a reaction. Most definitely deserved though.
    Bad business

•Executives from other teams had no idea the Astros were willing to take on $11MM of Roy Oswalt's remaining $23.5MM.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bad business

•Executives from other teams had no idea the Astros were willing to take on $11MM of Roy Oswalt's remaining $23.5MM.

Yeah, apparently other teams were pretty much saying, "What the hell??? If we knew that, we would've jumped in!"

I just think there was no way Houston was trading him to St. Louis, and of course there is a reason that Wade is running the Phillies' AAAA ball club.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Watch it. That man is in the Delaware Baseball Hall of Fame. Huge honor.

Marquis Grissom is leading off. Dennis Martinez is starting.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bad business

haha, that is classic. apparently mcclane and montgomery were the point men on the trade. so there's no one to blame but that crazy bastard in houston that owns the team.
    This has nothing to do with anything, but this is fucking awesome and actually makes me proud to be American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AG0ddWf ... r_embedded
    This has nothing to do with anything, but this is fucking awesome and actually makes me proud to be American.

That is pretty fantastic.

not to turn this into a political debate, but I will never understand how someone can be blindly loyal to one party. I agree with platforms on the right and left.

Good stuff...that guy is definitely a NYer
    The Fixer wrote:

not to turn this into a political debate, but I will never understand how someone can be blindly loyal to one party. I agree with platforms on the right and left.

Good stuff...that guy is definitely a NYer

Yeah, not trying to turn this into one, but that's my point. Do what's right no matter what. There's no counter argument to that.
This discussion has been closed.