***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,472
    mfc2006 wrote:

yeah, i know....i just never thought i'd see the day when Oswalt didn't pitch for Houston. i'm at a loss for words...

Yeah, I think Toronto fans felt the same way about Halladay.

i wonder whose ace we will take next year....

:lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    The Fixer wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Welcome to Philly circa 2001.

yeah, i know....i just never thought i'd see the day when Oswalt didn't pitch for Houston. i'm at a loss for words...

it's always tough seeing a guy that's been around for a long time end up leaving. here in philly it sucked seeing dawkins leave. that being said, oswalt did say he wanted out. the astros weren't winning anything this year, so it makes sense to get something for their established guys while they can.

as a fan, rebuilding always sucks...but every team goes through it at some point

Think really long and hard about that. Remember when Schilling and Rolen couldn't wait to get the fuck outta here? Wow. Just wow. I understood Curt's situation, but Rolen was a straight up douche about it.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    I find stupid shit funny - courtesy of the700level...

Picture wouldn't fit here, so check it out...

http://www.the700level.com/2010/07/comi ... .html#more

...knowing nothin' in life but to be legit, don't quote me boy I ain't said shit....

...knowing nothin' in life but to be legit, don't quote me boy I ain't said shit....

hamels in the car totally makes that one
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

hamels in the car totally makes that one

yeah, if I had to bet on which phillie broke his hand in a bar fight while playing in the minors...hamels would probably be my last choice. him or kendrick

I wish there was a youtube clip of that night
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,315
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, if I had to bet on which phillie broke his hand in a bar fight while playing in the minors...hamels would probably be my last choice. him or kendrick

I wish there was a youtube clip of that night

Haha - at the time we all thought he was some stupid hothead. Next thing he's carrying a purse dog around Liberty Place.

Whatever, he'll always be a World Series MVP.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The ROY's of Summer

Anyone ? Anyone ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    HaHa !!

"The Phillies remain among the few teams that don’t examine defensive metrics. They scoff at sabermetrics as a whole. For each quirk, the Phillies are wholly unapologetic."

I never once heard that term before this year and now I can't get away from it !!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... lies072910
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    HaHa !!

"The Phillies remain among the few teams that don’t examine defensive metrics. They scoff at sabermetrics as a whole. For each quirk, the Phillies are wholly unapologetic."

I never once heard that term before this year and now I can't get away from it !!

Pretty funny the team that's been to the world series the last 2years and won it one of them years dosent use it lol. Exactly cause its pretty easy to see production when its that obvious. I don't need new stats to tell me a certain player is good or not. Sorry had to go there I'm done.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited July 2010
    HaHa !!

Pretty funny the team that's been to the world series the last 2years and won it one of them years dosent use it lol. Exactly cause its pretty easy to see production when its that obvious. I don't need new stats to tell me a certain player is good or not. Sorry had to go there I'm done.

I am sure the stats they are talking about are WAR, wOBA, etc. I am sure they are looking at OPS and other stats like that. Perhaps, just perhaps if they used more stats Ibanez would not be signed to such a horrile contract.

Edit: It is obvious they don't look at WAR, otherwise, Ibanez, Moyer, Blanton and Howard would all have different contracts. But I do promise you, they are using more starts than RBI's and Home Runs. It is ignorant to think otherwise.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I think raul got his contract because the phillies didn't want the muts gettn him. If I remember correctly they were after him as well,hence why imo we over paid for him. Being a yankees fan u should understand that
    Go Birds!!!!
    I think raul got his contract because the phillies didn't want the muts gettn him. If I remember correctly they were after him as well,hence why imo we over paid for him. Being a yankees fan u should understand that

No one was giving Raul close to that contract and if they did so be it. Ibanez was not going to put the Mets over the top and he certaintly didn't put the Phillies over the top. They could have had him for much much less.

I do understand overpaying, I understand it very well. The Yankees overpay for certain players and that is their strategy. They pay for players that they want, see CC and Tex, high impact players. However, they do not overpay for players that are not going to be worth the impact, see Damon and Matsui. There is a big difference in overpaying for CC and overpaying for Ibanez.
    I competely understand that a lot more goes into it. But when were talkn about Howard his hard work to lose weight along with him showing up early to try and become a better fielder even though he can't throw too Second to save his life and his blaring stats are all they needed to know. As for other players well then yeah obviously u need to dig a little depper,but not to that insane level imo.
    Go Birds!!!!

nah, it was the cubs who were after him
    I competely understand that a lot more goes into it. But when were talkn about Howard his hard work to lose weight along with him showing up early to try and become a better fielder even though he can't throw too Second to save his life and his blaring stats are all they needed to know. As for other players well then yeah obviously u need to dig a little depper,but not to that insane level imo.

And I understand those things and understand why the Phillies felt they should give him more than he was worth, I just disagree with it especially for a team on a budget.
    Wheter right or wrong the phillies believed that Raul was that piece. Did they over pay yes but sometimes u win and sometimes u lose. As for Blanton after Lee leaving they gave him a contract based on a very good 2009 season. Was it a bad contract probably but that's the market for him,wheter its right or wrong. Him and Happ were by far are best pitchers in 2009. And he got rewarded,me I'd rather let him walk and kept lee or signed him to a 1 or 2yr deal but that wasn't they way him or his agent were headed.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, it was the cubs who were after him

Dosent make sense for the cubs with Soriano out there,but I'm positive the muts wanted him.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    HaHa !!

yes you would think it would be easy to see production but then you read this thread and....well I won't go there either.
    pjhawks wrote:
    HaHa !!

yes you would think it would be easy to see production but then you read this thread and....well I won't go there either.

you two are like turds in the punchbowl

don't know why you have to start shit for no reason. the phils are winning...not the time for arguing
    Turd,lol all I'm doing is having discussion on a phantom pain post. Sorry if you were bothered by my facts and thoughts .
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    The Fixer wrote:

don't know why you have to start shit for no reason. the phils are winning...not the time for arguing

so instead of trying to dispute what the story says, you know since it kind of flies in the face of your beliefs, just resort to name calling - very nice.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so instead of trying to dispute what the story says, you know since it kind of flies in the face of your beliefs, just resort to name calling - very nice.

I didn't even read the story.

Again, I don't know why you have to start shit for no reason. We've argued this shit to death. You don't like sabermetrics, which is fine. Don't know why you have to continue to rip them or the people that find them useful.

You keep using pitcher wins, saves, and RBI. I'll use VORP, WAR, and OPS
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

What flies in the face of anyone? The Phillies do not use advanced stats, yet they have multiple awful contracts. I think that supports our argument. And the winning thing is a moot point. No one was using these stats when this teams was assembled, and Amaro surely did not put this team together.
    HaHa !!

that was a great article. if anything you gotta love the aggresivness that amaro has shown since he took over.

the rocky theme should automatically start playing towards the end of that article. i'm pretty fired up right now.

GO PHILS!!!!
    www.myspace.com
    is anyone heading down to our nations capital tonight?

i was gonna but couldnt find anyone else interested.
    www.myspace.com

tempting, but I passed. was in AC last weekend for the wife's 30th and I'm hitting petty show tomorrow night. I've maxed out my entertainment budget for the month
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798

One of my co-workers has been bugging me all day to do that. He keeps saying, "it's not too late"

I wish I could, but I can't
    Maybe you should have read the article before u chimed in then. So quick to look for trouble,don't understand why? Me and your boy cliffy were actually havn a non name calling conversation. Funny names started when you the guy who didn't read the article came aboard but were the asses.
    Cliffy the name of the game is to win bad contracts are on every roster my friend. Besides Raul and fat joe I'd say we've done a pretty good job. We can argue the Howard contract everyday until he goes into the hall if you'd like. Point is the phillies are winners and they don't use it,that's the point. At least you stand by your beliefs and aren't ignortant about it,for that I respect you. I thought we were havn a good convo,but oh well.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Maybe you should have read the article before u chimed in then. So quick to look for trouble,don't understand why? Me and your boy cliffy were actually havn a non name calling conversation. Funny names started when you the guy who didn't read the article came aboard but were the asses.
    Cliffy the name of the game is to win bad contracts are on every roster my friend. Besides Raul and fat joe I'd say we've done a pretty good job. We can argue the Howard contract everyday until he goes into the hall if you'd like. Point is the phillies are winners and they don't use it,that's the point. At least you stand by your beliefs and aren't ignortant about it,for that I respect you. I thought we were havn a good convo,but oh well.

the moyer contract is awful too.

who cares? sabermetrics or not--this team is on the stepping stone of history this season. let's enjoy the ride
    www.myspace.com

dude, you should start using sabermetrics...then maybe you'll have a clue.

just in the last couple weeks you have said the following

you'd take livan hernandez over ted lilly
    you want the phils to trade for papelbon

and the best of all...

the phils should trade for zack duke

the turd in the punchbowl thing was a joke. jesus christ
This discussion has been closed.