***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,220
    from ken rosenthal on twitter: FOX 26 in Houston reporting #Astros and #Phillies have deal in place for Oswalt. Trying to confirm. His approval would be required.

How recent is this "tweet"?

Last half-hour. I have the Tweet deck up with all the baseball writers tweeting trade stuff now.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Boom.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ ... o-phillies

Roy, quit being a douche, and wear #44 against the Fish on Friday night!
    I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but if this deal is for Happ, Worley, Rizzotti, and J.C. Ramirez like I'm seeing being reported then this is a fucking steal and Amaro may have just made up for the Lee debacle. Well, just a little, though I like Worley's stuff. I just don't think that can be the package because it was reported Wade was personally scouting Lakewood, and I don't think any of those guys are at Lakewood - Worley in Lehigh since coming up from Reading, and Rizzotti & Ramirez at Reading. But if this is true, man, that's sweet. Now, Roy, please, make the right decision and put on that cap with a "P".
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,473
    I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but if this deal is for Happ, Worley, Rizzotti, and J.C. Ramirez like I'm seeing being reported then this is a fucking steal and Amaro may have just made up for the Lee debacle. Well, just a little, though I like Worley's stuff. I just don't think that can be the package because it was reported Wade was personally scouting Lakewood, and I don't think any of those guys are at Lakewood - Worley in Lehigh since coming up from Reading, and Rizzotti & Ramirez at Reading. But if this is true, man, that's sweet. Now, Roy, please, make the right decision and put on that cap with a "P".

i have no idea why this team is so hung up on ja happ. rosenthal was saying we're still not sure about giving him up...again.

but this deal sounds great to me. you even parlay one of the chips you got in the awful 2nd lee trade. i couldn't find any info about the option. have you guys seen anything?

all i know is, make this move, i will see in october.......deep into october.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    am I the only one not a big fan of Oswalt? he has never really done much for me. Big arm but never thought he was one of the top pitchers. Always thought his stuff looked better than results. he never scared me to face as a team like other stud pitchers do. Hopefully if the Phils end up with him I'll be proven wrong about him though.

I at least somewhat understood the Lee trade from the Phils perspective last year- but what is the sense of trading lee last year then coming back and getting Oswalt? No forward thinking by Amaro - just dumb if you ask me. Wouldn't you rather have Lee for one year than Oswalt with his possible ridiculous contract (much worse than Ryan Howards Mr. The Fixer - where are you on this one if the Phils get him and have to pay the $16 million option for a pitcher with a bad back?)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    pjhawks wrote:
    am I the only one not a big fan of Oswalt? he has never really done much for me. Big arm but never thought he was one of the top pitchers. Always thought his stuff looked better than results. he never scared me to face as a team like other stud pitchers do. Hopefully if the Phils end up with him I'll be proven wrong about him though.

I at least somewhat understood the Lee trade from the Phils perspective last year- but what is the sense of trading lee last year then coming back and getting Oswalt? No forward thinking by Amaro - just dumb if you ask me. Wouldn't you rather have Lee for one year than Oswalt with his possible ridiculous contract (much worse than Ryan Howards Mr. The Fixer - where are you on this one if the Phils get him and have to pay the $16 million option for a pitcher with a bad back?)

Pjhawks, I am in agreement with you 100%. The Phillies are not really giving up much to get him so he will be worth it from that perspective but the 2012 option should not be touched, that is horrible.
    Craig Calcaterra thinks the kick back will be around $8 mil.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Pjhawks, I am in agreement with you 100%. The Phillies are not really giving up much to get him so he will be worth it from that perspective but the 2012 option should not be touched, that is horrible.

is this the first time you two have agreed on anything?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

is this the first time you two have agreed on anything?

I believe it just may be.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

you mean that astros will pay half the option?
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Jim Salisbury probably knows this team better than anybody, and he's convinced they make a deal. He's saying it's going to be either Oswalt or Carmona, and I'm fine with that either way. Carmona pitches tonight I believe, so look out to see if he starts or not.

I grabbed a ticket for last nights game...couldn't resist

I had never seen Halladay pitch and add in Brown's first start I had to go..My buddy already had tix so I got one last minute..also found the Yards Brawler tap! Went well with my Roast Pork

On the way home I had 97.5 on and Jayson Stark said the deal is done just working out the money..J.A. and prospects

Is no one concerned about Oswalt getting three yes three cortizone injections this year in his back ???

If they make the playoffs and the cool weather talk about a stiff back

BTW..Carmona got lit up last night by the Yank-Mees
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

you mean that astros will pay half the option?

Depends on how you look at it. I would imagine the money would come right away since I am sure the Astros will want him off their payroll, so technically I would think it would pay out the rest of this year and some of next year.
    edited July 2010

Is no one concerned about Oswalt getting three yes three cortizone injections this year in his back ???

Is this true?

Edit: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4266 ... s-bad-back
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Love this deal if it happens,they obviously have gotten a payroll raise. How much who knows,my question is what was agreed on about his option? I knew he would be a Phillie Doc,Hamels,Oswalt,is the best starting 3 rotation in the game. With Oswalt he is bullpen help as well,thats now 3 out of 5 games we should have a starter go 7-8 innings. Only question mark is Lidge,and if Utley comes back healthy then man were gonna be tough.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Is this true?

Yes..his back is whack !

Writer for MLB.com talked about it..his name escapes me

Seth Rosen maybe ?

Heard the deal is done just waiting on Oswalt to waive his NTC

Cliffy6745 wrote:

Is this true?

Yes..his back is whack !

Writer for MLB.com talked about it..his name escapes me

Seth Rosen maybe ?

Yeah, that article I posted talks about it. Supposedly got a shot, then pitched a complete game 1 hitter followed by outings of 65 and 70 pitches. Suprised there is no talk around this if it is true.
    i love ed wade:

10:17am: The identities of the other two players going to Houston remain unknown, but ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Astros have pushed hard for minor league first baseman Jonathan Singleton. Stark has an unconfirmed rumor from a strong source that the Astros offered to pay $12MM to the Phillies in the deal.

:lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

keith law had ramirez ranked as his 101st best prospect in january's annual rankings. That said, I'd make that deal too...even though I'm not a big oswalt fan at this point in his career (as long as the 2012 option is not in play)
    i love ed wade:

10:17am: The identities of the other two players going to Houston remain unknown, but ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Astros have pushed hard for minor league first baseman Jonathan Singleton. Stark has an unconfirmed rumor from a strong source that the Astros offered to pay $12MM to the Phillies in the deal.

Just read that my self,well that would be the reason why we'd pick up his 2012 option.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Zolecki says Singleton is in it, Rosenthal says he is not.

i have no idea why this team is so hung up on ja happ. rosenthal was saying we're still not sure about giving him up...again.

money. he is making the MLB minimum and he's under team control for the forseeable future. oswalt would be another overpaid guy on this roster (amaro's specialty).
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,841
    The deal for Oswalt is done. Just awaiting his approval.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... asy-259015
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,317
    i love ed wade:

Just read that my self,well that would be the reason why we'd pick up his 2012 option.

Nice work with the boldface. It's good to deal with Ed Wade on the other side.

I'm still queasy about this Oswalt guy.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Are physicals done in trades like this, or just medical history? I don't recall.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Are physicals done in trades like this, or just medical history? I don't recall.

probably up the the teams. the phils aren't big on that kind of stuff...see freddy garcia trade
    i love ed wade:

Dude, even better- apparently McClane is dealing with Mongtgomery "directly". Doesn't get much better than that. :lol:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

probably up the the teams. the phils aren't big on that kind of stuff...see freddy garcia trade

You see that article I posted earlier? Pure speculation 100%, but was interesting that there are reports of a cortizone shot on july 7th, picthed a complete game 1 hitter, then his next 2 starts since have consisted of 65 and 70 pitches.
    Any time now Roy your suppose to pitch tomorrow. Make a lot of money on a very good team,and not be the top pitcher,is a no brainer to me. As someone here would say ALL ABOARD
    Go Birds!!!!
    Any time now Roy your suppose to pitch tomorrow. Make a lot of money on a very good team,and not be the top pitcher,is a no brainer to me. As someone here would say ALL ABOARD

It's all about the money, I am sure he is making sure he is getting paid $16mil in 2012 regardless of who pays it.
This discussion has been closed.