***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477
    carry on philly...im heading home :lol:

in los angeles?

beat it tool :lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I agree with the jeagler,oswalt will be a phillie or some team not yet talked about. Some hou beat reporter was on wip earlier and said that lidge has been in contact with oswalt telln him how fun it is to play for Manual.

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

Who would of thought they could all have been here within a year

:|
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,954
    I agree with the jeagler,oswalt will be a phillie or some team not yet talked about. Some hou beat reporter was on wip earlier and said that lidge has been in contact with oswalt telln him how fun it is to play for Manual.

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

Wait a minute, let's not start sounding like obnoxious Yankees fans. This was never an option. Halladay-Lee-Hamels was a reasonable option for about 3 hours, but not the above.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

Except that would go Lee-Halladay-Oswalt. Halladay as the second best pitcher on a team. Oh my. You guys came so close.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

Except that would go Lee-Halladay-Oswalt. Halladay as the second best pitcher on a team. Oh my. You guys came so close.

man what a fuck up :lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

Wait a minute, let's not start sounding like obnoxious Yankees fans. This was never an option. Halladay-Lee-Hamels was a reasonable option for about 3 hours, but not the above.

It's just one of those things I thought as a Phillies fan I would never see

We're used to Don Carmen's and Bruce Ruffin's of the world

And the can't miss prospects like Tyler Green
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

This was never an option. And I don't care what the numbers say - Halladay's the better pitcher.

This was never an option. And I don't care what the numbers say - Halladay's the better pitcher.

7 walks this year, 7. Halladay always has been a better pitcher but I am not so sure anymore.
    Oswalt-Halladay-Lee

It's called going from dancing with the beat chick to all of a sudden going out with the playmate of the year. Spoils the mind. Everyone needs a kick in the balls I think. Remember where they're at. That's why a piece of my hopes they take a step back this year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

7 walks this year, 7. Halladay always has been a better pitcher but I am not so sure anymore.

Awesome. Most props to him. He's having a stellar year. I'm taking Halladay all day - pun intended.
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

jason, nypj, neil, nelly --whatever you want to be called these days: you've somehow racked up an astounding 3,000 posts in the few short months since you snuck back on this board....congrats....amazingly, there is nothing worthwhile in there though.

bring something to the table dude. i wouldn't think you'd want to be considered an annoying little mosquito flying around forever...right?

only kidding dude....well, kind of :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

don't forget near perfection through out the playoffs last year :lol:

dumbasses
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

It's called going from dancing with the beat chick to all of a sudden going out with the playmate of the year. Spoils the mind. Everyone needs a kick in the balls I think. Remember where they're at. That's why a piece of my hopes they take a step back this year.

the definition of crazy talk.

take your own advice: remember where we're at, where we came from, and remember this ain't gonna last forever man.
    www.myspace.com

jason, nypj, neil, nelly --whatever you want to be called these days: you've somehow racked up an astounding 3,000 posts in the few short months since you snuck back on this board....congrats....amazingly, there is nothing worthwhile in there though.

bring something to the table dude. i wouldn't think you'd want to be considered an annoying little mosquito flying around forever...right?

11 hour work days jeags 11 hour work days ...lots of time

ok really goodnight

11 hour work days jeags 11 hour work days ...lots of time

ok really goodnight

where do you think we're all posting from every day? :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

don't forget near perfection through out the playoffs last year :lol:

dumbasses

One dumbass - his name Amaro.

Here's the other thing - I don't even care that they traded him. The problem I have is - and they cannot say otherwise, nor I don't know why anyone has ever approached Ruben on the subject(assuming the reporters are pussies) - they traded him within the same time frame of getting Halladay because they wanted to make the PR hit as minimum as possible. If RAJ really cared about what he was getting back for Lee he would've let people chomp on the bit of having Halladay-Lee-Hamels in the same rotation.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Awesome. Most props to him. He's having a stellar year. I'm taking Halladay all day - pun intended.

If you could sign one pitcher in baseball long term who would it be? Put aside man crushes for a second.

take your own advice: remember where we're at, where we came from, and remember this ain't gonna last forever man.

Nope. It won't last forever? You're joking right? Ya know what the Phils realized when they opened up that new ballpark in 2004? That they couldn't hide behind the notion of being a small market team - WHEN YOUR TEAM PLAYS IN THE 4TH LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY.

As long as they keep the right guys in player development and continue to make a commitment to spending money, they'll never be a team that lays in the doldrums again. I don't think people understand this anymore because they're not used to it. THAT is what people have to get used to. This team is on the border of brand expansion in the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs.

Nope. It won't last forever? You're joking right? Ya know what the Phils realized when they opened up that new ballpark in 2004? That they couldn't hide behind the notion of being a small market team - WHEN YOUR TEAM PLAYS IN THE 4TH LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY.

As long as they keep the right guys in player development and continue to make a commitment to spending money, they'll never be a team that lays in the doldrums again. I don't think people understand this anymore because they're not used to it. THAT is what people have to get used to. This team is on the border of brand expansion in the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs.

i'm talking about this nucleus dude. i don't see why you'd want to take a step back when the window for these current players is the next few years.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

If you could sign one pitcher in baseball long term who would it be? Put aside man crushes for a second.

Man crush is aside. They're about the same age - Lee I believe is a year or two younger. Their long term projections would be very similar. Only reason I would say otherwise is Halladay's logged more innings. Better repertoire of pitches, and a smarter pitcher I believe.

I get it, I get it. You're getting him next year - the beauty of Yankee fans and why they're easily hated: "Yeah, he's pretty freakin sweet, we'll just get him next year." Load 'em up, boys.

Speaking of player development. Did you guys see the article that the Phillies have not been putting much money into international scouting in recent years? Now that might be the biggest mistake Amaro is making.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    To anwser cliffys question I'd say Josh Johnson or Cliff Lee. I'm sure Strausburg deserves a lot of consideration but he could blow his arm out tonight with the way he pitches.
    Go Birds!!!!

Man crush is aside. They're about the same age - Lee I believe is a year or two younger. Their long term projections would be very similar. Only reason I would say otherwise is Halladay's logged more innings. Better repertoire of pitches, and a smarter pitcher I believe.

I get it, I get it. You're getting him next year - the beauty of Yankee fans and why they're easily hated: "Yeah, he's pretty freakin sweet, we'll just get him next year." Load 'em up, boys.

Yeah, I think lee may be a year younger but he definitely has a lot less innings. Honestly, because of what you mention in ages, I would take Felix or Lester over either of them long term.

That's not why I brought up that question. Was just curious.

i'm talking about this nucleus dude. i don't see why you'd want to take a step back when the window for these current players is the next few years.

This nucleus is what is, man. Do you honestly think this team can win it all this year - with this nucleus? And do you think any move Amaro makes in the next 4 days will exponentially increase those chances? Because this nucleus is still in place for the next few years, and I see a decision being made now only hindering that nucleus going forward. Play with what you got this year, win or lose, get a pitcher and an outfielder in the offseason.

Of course I want to win it all, but if taking a step back this year takes everyone down a peg or two then I'm all for it. Ah, who am I kidding, people are fucking nuts in this city.
    To anwser cliffys question I'd say Josh Johnson or Cliff Lee. I'm sure Strausburg deserves a lot of consideration but he could blow his arm out tonight with the way he pitches.

Fuck me, I didn't even think of Johnson. Yeah, Lester, Felix or Johnson. Probably Johnson or Lester then Felix for me.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Rollins out tonight.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I think lee may be a year younger but he definitely has a lot less innings. Honestly, because of what you mention in ages, I would take Felix or Lester over either of them long term.

Yeah, well if I had my choosings then I'm taking Grienke. But we're talking about Lee and Halladay. Look at Halladay's stats with a guy on base, and then with a man in scoring position. They get better and better. He just knows how to pitch - fastball, cut, sinker, curve, change. The only thing I might knock Doc on this year, is he doesn't utilize all of his pitches in a game. Sometimes it'll be more cut/change, then sink/curve in another. Never using all 5 in one game.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Speaking of player development. Did you guys see the article that the Phillies have not been putting much money into international scouting in recent years? Now that might be the biggest mistake Amaro is making.

And I did read this - forget where though. They say it's part of the sacrifice in being able to raise payroll in the majors. I'm sure it's significant to an extent, but I don't think as significant as some make it out to be.
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, well if I had my choosings then I'm taking Grienke. But we're talking about Lee and Halladay. Look at Halladay's stats with a guy on base, and then with a man in scoring position. They get better and better. He just knows how to pitch - fastball, cut, sinker, curve, change. The only thing I might knock Doc on this year, is he doesn't utilize all of his pitches in a game. Sometimes it'll be more cut/change, then sink/curve in another. Never using all 5 in one game.

Yeah, Greinke is solid and I respect that he came back from all depression stuff but I would take Lester over him in a heart beat.

Yeah, you're right. .164 opponent BA with RISP and .208 with runners on overall. Adding that these numbers are both down from an overall .244 BA against.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And I did read this - forget where though. They say it's part of the sacrifice in being able to raise payroll in the majors. I'm sure it's significant to an extent, but I don't think as significant as some make it out to be.

Here is the article, MLBTR linked to it over the weekend

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... alent.html

Some of the best players in baseball are coming from the Internationl market these days. I have read some pretty increadible things about the scouting across the world. I definitely think it would not be wise to overlook this.

I read an article a while back that said Scott Boras has a bigger international scouting program than most teams.
This discussion has been closed.