***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    The Fixer wrote:

ruben's gotta think outside the box here.

who knows what he's capable of. nothing would shock me at this point. should be an interesting 10 days ahead

i'm taking a wait and see approach until 8/1. the 07 team was in a similar spot....if i am not mistaken, wasn't the '80 team wallowing around .500 around this point too? i realize all 3 circumstances are different, point is--anything can happen. i think it's foolish to pack it in when you're still just a few games out at this point.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:

ruben's gotta think outside the box here.

who knows what he's capable of. nothing would shock me at this point. should be an interesting 10 days ahead

i'm taking a wait and see approach until 8/1. the 07 team was in a similar spot....if i am not mistaken, wasn't the '80 team wallowing around .500 around this point too? i realize all 3 circumstances are different, point is--anything can happen. i think it's foolish to pack it in when you're still just a few games out at this point.

2008: 92 games in they were 49-43, one game better than this year. Difference is,they had a 1.5 game lead in the division. I love Baseball-Reference.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

2008: 92 games in they were 49-43, one game better than this year. Difference is,they had a 1.5 game lead in the division. I love Baseball-Reference.

And they weren't in third place. As well as in the wildcard with a shit load of teams. Their moves are limited. No reason to do anything nuts. I'm not calling it a season yet, I'm saying anything above 3rd place at this point would be a good enough achievement for me.

Anyone notice how Victorino used to pride himself on his bunt hits? I would like to emphasize 'used to'.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Anyone notice how Victorino used to pride himself on his bunt hits? I would like to emphasize 'used to'.

it drives me crazy that rollins and daquiri-boy don't try to bunt for hits more often. speed puts pressure on the defense
    The Fixer wrote:

it drives me crazy that rollins and daquiri-boy don't try to bunt for hits more often. speed puts pressure on the defense

Everyone wants to be the hero with the bomb. Well, except Polanco. He does exactly what everyone thought he would do. No excuses for injuries anymore. They're only missing Utley. Of course he's a huge component, but enough excuses.

Didn't Rolen go down for an extended time?
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    The Fixer wrote:

Everyone wants to be the hero with the bomb. Well, except Polanco. He does exactly what everyone thought he would do. No excuses for injuries anymore. They're only missing Utley. Of course he's a huge component, but enough excuses.

Rolen is getting a cortisone shot for his hamstring. Cincy is still figuring out whether or not to DL him. Been out last 3 games.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    The Fixer wrote:

not sure about rolen

just read something that speculated happ is going to start on saturday night. he has a minor league start tonight, he will probably be on a pitch count and he will be called up to start on saturday if he doesn't completely suck tonight. theory is that carpenter was called up to help in the pen.

so I guess if we see carpenter in relief over the next few nights then we know happ is starting on saturday
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

touche...however i was referencing 2007, not 2008, when they were 7 back in september and in the middle of the pack at this point--similar to where they are now. i don't need no baseball-reference...my memory is GOLD. GOLD jerry! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

touche...however i was referencing 2007, not 2008, when they were 7 back in september and in the middle of the pack at this point--similar to where they are now. i don't need no baseball-reference...my memory is GOLD. GOLD jerry! :lol:

And needed to see the Mets have the greatest collapse in the history of the sport - of all sports.

Yes you were, looks like I am not much of a reader. They were 46-46 though 92 and 3 games back in 2007.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes you were, looks like I am not much of a reader. They were 46-46 though 92 and 3 games back in 2007.

wow right at .500....

could you check the 1980 team whilst you are at it?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

wow right at .500....

48-44 and 5 games back. Basically the same as today, except 30 years ago. You don't remember 1980, do you?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

wow right at .500....

48-44 and 5 games back. Basically the same as today, except 30 years ago. You don't remember 1980, do you?

i was 2 years and 1 month old this time in 1980....so no but i do know people talked about that team in much the same mannor people are talking about this team though....even worse since it was before they won anything.

when this slump first started a while ago some were comparing it to the 1979 team and saying "maybe this isn't their year" blah blah blah.....but i think most forget the 80 team was about to implode in the middle of the season too.

so this should hopefully be a little comforting to people......i emphasize the words "a little."

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    Salisbury was just on CSN. What he's hearing from within the organization is that Carpenter is only going to be up a few days as a reliever, and to look for the high possibility of a trade going down by the weekend when Kendrick's spot in the rotation pops up. He also said they're looking for a pitcher beyond just this season, and that there's a strong possibility that it'll be Haren or Oswalt. I dunno...pretty interesting.
    Salisbury was just on CSN. What he's hearing from within the organization is that Carpenter is only going to be up a few days as a reliever, and to look for the high possibility of a trade going down by the weekend when Kendrick's spot in the rotation pops up. He also said they're looking for a pitcher beyond just this season, and that there's a strong possibility that it'll be Haren or Oswalt. I dunno...pretty interesting.

yeah i just saw something about that...wouldn't it make more sense to keep kendrick up here until you make the trade though? just from a leverage standpoint?
    www.myspace.com

yeah i just saw something about that...wouldn't it make more sense to keep kendrick up here until you make the trade though? just from a leverage standpoint?

What leverage standpoint? He's Kyle Kendrick.

What leverage standpoint? He's Kyle Kendrick.

point taken. it just seems like you're telegraphing that you will be making a move by sending him to lehigh.

cant wait to see what happens here...
    www.myspace.com
    Amaro said that Carpenter is heading for the bullpen and hinted that a trade for a pitcher is possible before Saturday when Kendrick was next scheduled to start.

“In the short term this makes us better because we have an extra pitcher in the bullpen," Amaro said. "And that’s what Carpenter’s here to do. We will fill Kendrick’s spot in the rotation, whether it’s from within or outside the organization, we haven’t decided yet.

“Happ is a possibility. He’s somebody we could consider and we have some other balls in the air.”

That was followed by this exchange:

Question: It sounds like you’re close to doing something.

Amaro: “I think we know exactly what we’re going to do. I just choose not to tell you.”

Question: So you think a trade is close?

“I think we have an idea what we want to do.”

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... z0uGdUMpTN
    Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
    www.myspace.com
    Interesting stuff. I would be suprised at haren or oswalt just because that will have the phillies payroll already close to $150 mil next year. Oswalt I believe it will be over $150.

Why does Amaro have to be a dick about shit too? Why bother talking to the media if all you are going to say is "I know what we are going to do but I am not going to tell you"?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Interesting stuff. I would be suprised at haren or oswalt just because that will have the phillies payroll already close to $150 mil next year. Oswalt I believe it will be over $150.

Why does Amaro have to be a dick about shit too? Why bother talking to the media if all you are going to say is "I know what we are going to do but I am not going to tell you"?

Pfft, You should've saw 'em on Daily News Live. Incredibly pompous. Really starting to dislike this dude - slowly becoming the second coming of Joe Banner.
    That's terrible. Why bother talking to the media at all? It's not like he's done a damn thing to earn anyones respect from a baseball standpoint. Can't treat the media like shit.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That's terrible. Why bother talking to the media at all? It's not like he's done a damn thing to earn anyones respect from a baseball standpoint. Can't treat the media like shit.

RAJ's on the pregame now.....see what this douche has to say.

EDIT: Yep, nothing of course.
    I think it might be a good buy to purchase Saturday's tickets now...

For ben sheets?

Funny Amaro is talking like this and cashman is saying the trade market is terrible and teams are asking too much
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm sure he's obligated by the phillies to do interviews from time to time.

I don't put any worth into anything these dudes say. completely meaningless

I do think it's funny that amaro gets riled up every time he's asked about the cliff lee deal.
    Moyer hurt.

YESSSSSS. the baseball gods are smiling on the phils
    The Fixer wrote:
    Moyer hurt.

what's wrong with him?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Moyer hurt.

what's wrong with him?

think it's his groin. he had offseason surgery.

hopefully he's out for the year...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

For ben sheets?

Funny Amaro is talking like this and cashman is saying the trade market is terrible and teams are asking too much

God no. But if it's Oswalt, or Haren, that's another story. I believe the Phils could get something done with Houston before anyone else with Wade there and their history.
    Oswalt is not going to come cheap with money or prospects.
This discussion has been closed.